Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,170 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 - Travel (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (882354 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 8:47pm On Apr 26, 2017
@thesoj I just noticed two of my quotes concerning the guy(s) talking about an agent has been deleted, hope nothing?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Ejaloni123: 8:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
Martins16:
I applied for canada study permit to enable me do my masters at University of Sakatchewan. I had paid the tuition and fees for one year. Later i got this mail from the embassy. Pleass i need advice 

Due to currency controls in effect in Nigeria, you must provide one of the following: 1) a letter from a Canadian financial institution stating that the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* are on deposit in the your name and a bank statement for the Canadian account; 2) a bank draft in convertible currency for the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* made payable jointly to you and the educational institution; or 3) written assurance from the your bank that the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* are on deposit as well as written assurance from the Central Bank of Nigeria that you will be permitted to export this amount. *For greater clarity, “funds necessary for the upcoming academic year” means the entire tuition for one academic year plus living expenses ($10,000 CAD for 12 months or, if your course is shorter than 12 months, $833 CAD for each month of study).

When did you apply, and when was this message sent?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by osento(m): 8:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
[Austinepee4.. Please I really need your urgent reply. Reply me by email.leozay212@gmail.com
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 8:56pm On Apr 26, 2017
Martins16:
I applied for canada study permit to enable me do my masters at University of Sakatchewan. I had paid the tuition and fees for one year. Later i got this mail from the embassy. Pleass i need advice 

Due to currency controls in effect in Nigeria, you must provide one of the following: 1) a letter from a Canadian financial institution stating that the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* are on deposit in the your name and a bank statement for the Canadian account; 2) a bank draft in convertible currency for the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* made payable jointly to you and the educational institution; or 3) written assurance from the your bank that the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* are on deposit as well as written assurance from the Central Bank of Nigeria that you will be permitted to export this amount. *For greater clarity, “funds necessary for the upcoming academic year” means the entire tuition for one academic year plus living expenses ($10,000 CAD for 12 months or, if your course is shorter than 12 months, $833 CAD for each month of study).

Mehn, these folks though! Person go pay tuition finish na how living expenses go reach canada come be wahala.

Apparently, showing funds for living expenses in naira equivalent may not be enough with this latest development. Bro, i'll advise you meet your bank, discuss possibilities of sending funds to canada, they can suggest the best way to this. The bank should give you options especially with the new policies of forex.

Its well o
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by yemdogg: 8:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
Austinpee4:

Mehn, these folks though! Person go pay tuition finish na how living expenses go reach canada come be wahala.

Apparently, showing funds for living expenses in niara equivalent may not be enough with this latest development. Bro, i'll advise you meet your bank, discuss possibilities of sending funds to canada, they can suggest the best way to this. The bank should give you options especially with the new policies of forex.

Its well o

This used to be a requirement meant for people whose destination is Quebec..Buh apparently, it has been extended to other provinces, Nawa o.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 9:05pm On Apr 26, 2017
yemdogg:

This used to be a requirement meant for people whose destination is Quebec..Buh apparently, it has been extended to other provinces, Nawa o.
Baba, this one weak me! Dem for kukuma say make canadian banks relocate come naija na. So we just pay into their account in convenience.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 9:07pm On Apr 26, 2017
Austinpee4:

Apparently, showing funds for living expenses in naira equivalent may not be enough with this latest development. Bro, i'll advise you meet your bank, discuss possibilities of sending funds to canada, they can suggest the best way to this. The bank should give you options especially with the new policies of forex.

Its well o

that's not really an issue (except he has withdrew the money from the account immediately he applied. all he needs to do is take the letter from cic to his bank and they will draft a letter of assurance that when it's time for him to travel they will make available the amount he needs (his living expenses) sail able in Canadian dollars, also since he can't get any letter from CBN he will just have to print a proof to shoe CBN has asked all banks to provide forex for people going for studies, medical etc when they want to travel(provided they have proof that they are going for the said purpose)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2017
mcobex:
that's not really an issue (except he has withdrew the money from the account immediately he applied. all he needs to do is take the letter from cic to his bank and they will draft a letter of assurance that when it's time for him to travel they will make available the amount he needs (his living expenses) sail able in Canadian dollars, also since he can't get any letter from CBN he will just have to print a proof to shoe CBN has asked all banks to provide forex for people going for studies, medical etc when they want to travel(provided they have proof that they are going for the said purpose)
I understand. Do not forget that there is a limitation in the amount of 15,000USD or equivalent for school fees per transaction/term.

So if an applicant's school fees is say 13,000-18,000CAD, once the school fees is paid, the limit would have been reach or almost reached
The bank can only issue confirmation to what is applicable and in accordance to directives from CBN.

In the end, it will boil down to the naira equivalent of applicant's tuition and living expenses. The lesser the tuiton the better to accomodate 10,000 CAD.

Any further transaction can be done either through dollar account or other means but certainly not at school fees rate.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by yemdogg: 9:14pm On Apr 26, 2017
mcobex:

I mailed the CBN contact office about 1/2 weeks ago...not sure when.

They said they're not aware of such information from the Canadian Embassy and that they would revert back to me as soon as the CBN takes an official position on the subject and this could take 3-4 weeks. Still waiting on them since then. I will send them a reminder tomorrow. Let them come and clarify this o.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Joshcoli(m): 9:16pm On Apr 26, 2017
@Austinpee4 please can you send a mail to gentlejosh@live.com so I can send you the SOP I drafted

I'll be most grateful sir
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Sugaro: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
mcobex:
ok, u don't have issue then, just make sure u submit proof of change of name(newspapaer publication)when applying for ur study permit to prove the admission truly belongs to u. it's not an issue. NB: ur marriage certificate will be needed as well

Kk thank you so much!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 26, 2017
Martins16:

Ah ah. Hey. Did this apply to your sponsors too or just your own account?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by SamReinvented: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello gurus in the house, I have a bit of an issue that I'd like to clarify. I am applying for a visit visa, but the help i need cuts across. So, I have three landed properties that I want to declare in my application for home ties. One of the property is a completed 5 bedroom bungalow with a 2 bedroom boys quarters under construction at the back of it. The second property is a three bedroom bungalow at roofing level. The third is an undeveloped land. The issue is, I have R of O for all the properties, but how will the vo know that 2 of the properties are worth more than just a land? Do I need to take pictures of the sites (someone said pictures are no longer allowed) or the information on the structures erected on the lands are not necessary? Please those who have submitted landed documents, how did you do it?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Kemsure30: 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello house
My program is a 2 year program
Should the tution reflect in my statement for d 2 years program or just my first year alone
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Martins16: 10:03pm On Apr 26, 2017
Ejaloni123:

When did you apply, and when was this message sent?

I aplied in February and that reply this month (april)
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by nelly28: 10:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
Perotti:
@osemigho @thesoj @folaroyal @michv @austinepee4 @nelly28 @yemdogg @eraytee @penitential @mikymiko
My big bosses pls i need your help. I had a skype interview with a PI at University of Alberta for PhD. The funding offer is 21k CAD (stipend+tuition) per year. We haven't concluded yet. Got another offer of $22k (stipend only, tuition covered seperately) at Colorado State Uni. Which do I go for? Alberta is of course higher ranked but I can't afford grad studies without funding. Please help.

Bro I will advice, u go with d Colorado state Uni first, becos within a month u can apply for ur I-20 application and get ur visa with no too much grammar, but dats not to say u should disregard Alberta stil keep in touch with it. Notin 2 lose bro.

Wen u get both visa by God grace NB: After ur program if u intend to stay bck, Alberta will b a bera choice. success

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Holabisi: 10:33pm On Apr 26, 2017
@miella , may I ask what app you used in assessing the materials as I downloaded the materials but could not open it , I used adobe . downloaded the Cambridge material. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Eraytee: 10:35pm On Apr 26, 2017
SamReinvented:
Hello gurus in the house, I have a bit of an issue that I'd like to clarify. I am applying for a visit visa, but the help i need cuts across. So, I have three landed properties that I want to declare in my application for home ties. One of the property is a completed 5 bedroom bungalow with a 2 bedroom boys quarters under construction at the back of it. The second property is a three bedroom bungalow at roofing level. The third is an undeveloped land. The issue is, I have R of O for all the properties, but how will the vo know that 2 of the properties are worth more than just a land? Do I need to take pictures of the sites (someone said pictures are no longer allowed) or the information on the structures erected on the lands are not necessary? Please those who have submitted landed documents, how did you do it?
I will reply u base on personal experience last month at VFS, i wanted to submit some marriage pictures (3). The person attending to me said and I quote "please we no longer accept pictures anymore, your marriage certificate is ok to proof u r married ". That is my own experience, rules might change, I hope you get the msg from d bold. I'll advise if u av can contact all this people that values property dey can issue u with a documentary evidence of the worth of the land with the building on it. That doc is what you will submit along with a LOE stating d developmental stage of the land. The above is not actually necessary b4 u r granted TRV but I think I get ur drift, u want them to know d real value wch actually increases ur hometie.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by nelly28: 10:35pm On Apr 26, 2017
SamReinvented:

Your R of O is enough to show, no need for d pix or evaluating it( add ur SOA ), hope u are workin, add ur employment letter and order work or business related documents it part of ur strong ties for ur visit visa. success

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Osemigho: 10:35pm On Apr 26, 2017
Perotti:
@osemigho @thesoj @folaroyal @michv @austinepee4 @nelly28 @yemdogg @eraytee @penitential @mikymiko
My big bosses pls i need your help. I had a skype interview with a PI at University of Alberta for PhD. The funding offer is 21k CAD (stipend+tuition) per year. We haven't concluded yet. Got another offer of $22k (stipend only, tuition covered seperately) at Colorado State Uni. Which do I go for? Alberta is of course higher ranked but I can't afford grad studies without funding. Please help.

Elders have spoken and emphasized a bird in hand is better and that two good options are better than one. Apply for US and dont give up on Alberta.

Currently and in the next few years of Trump reign, if both click with funding, I will go to Alberta, even in my dream for so many reasons.

1: funding and its future. Not sure but I think Alberta international grad fee is around 8k cad, leaving more than the minimum and reasonable 10k cad upkeep. Also, unconfirmed rumour and news suggest US may go into "UK mode" soon (I.e. funding for international students might drop very), while Canada keeps opening it's door to everyone including those USA rejected. So, Canada wins. Futhermore, currently in Canada, there is an opportunity for open work permit if an international student cannot afford his fees due to some uncontrollable challenges. I don't think US have such. So, Canada 2 - 0 USA.

2: The end before the end speaks. Currently, With minimum of one year full time experience, good IELTS result, masters degree and age between 25-32, you are likely to get Canadian PR sooner than you think or could achieve with American dream. Canada again! 3 - 0. Never heard of such happening in USA. Even after study is tricky and some have tagged it modern slavery with one visa like that (H1B or something) process.

3: The after study plan (PR and Job). Currently, except for STEM programs, Canada wins the PR battle with easy PR after study. You might even get it before you finish sef, depending on your ability to read widely on your options. Canada again! 4-0. For job, I think US win, cos I heard it is far more than that of Canada. 4 - 1.

4: However, I think USA has better education. So, 4 - 2.

Based on immigration rules and quality of education, my current choice for myself, my family, and well wishers is Canada. After that, Australia. After, New Zealand. After or somewhere in-between Australia and New Zealand is USA, if their admission comes with massive funding that I couldn't get from others I specified.

Please note: all I wrote are 100% based on my reading on the internet. No personal experience and no evidence to prove their genuity. I dey 9ja as i dey type so. Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by OGIYEN: 10:36pm On Apr 26, 2017
Y are they using black market rate for fees and not the official rate of 305,na was for our lovely country
Folaroyal:

Don't worry yourself as ALL banks in Nigeria sell at N375/$1 ..... They have been mandated as at Monday to complete school fees in 48hrs and PTA in 24hrs.
For now ... My brother, it is available everywhere without stress or need to know anybody!...
Regards.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2017
Austinpee4:

I understand. Do not forget that there is a limitation in the amount of 15,000USD or equivalent for school fees per transaction/term.

So if an applicant's school fees is say 13,000-18,000CAD, once the school fees is paid, the limit would have been reach or almost reached
The bank can only issue confirmation to what is applicable and in accordance to directives from CBN.

In the end, it will boil down to the naira equivalent of applicant's tuition and living expenses. The lesser the tuiton the better to accomodate 10,000 CAD.

Any further transaction can be done either through dollar account or other means but certainly not at school fees rate.

that's true, I feel what cic is now trying to imply is for us to pay our tuition before applying for trv (so it will just be the 10k that the bank will have to convert to forex).... I pray CBN do something about this
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 10:40pm On Apr 26, 2017
yemdogg:

I mailed the CBN contact office about 1/2 weeks ago...not sure when.

They said they're not aware of such information from the Canadian Embassy and that they would revert back to me as soon as the CBN takes an official position on the subject and this could take 3-4 weeks. Still waiting on them since then. I will send them a reminder tomorrow. Let them come and clarify this o.
cic is just being too strict on naija applicants , but I pray CBN sort this out asap. I also feel cic wants applicants to pay tuition fee before applying for trv but they don't know how to say it's now "mandatory " for students to pay their tuition before trv application

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mcobex: 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2017
Kemsure30:
Hello house
My program is a 2 year program
Should the tution reflect in my statement for d 2 years program or just my first year alone
1 year is ok but if u be omobabaolowo or babaolowo himself then you can show for 2 years.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by kprake9: 11:07pm On Apr 26, 2017
SamReinvented:

attach d approved architectural building plan to your application. I think that settles it.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by preciousa2: 11:15pm On Apr 26, 2017
mcobex:
that's true, I feel what cic is now trying to imply is for us to pay our tuition before applying for trv (so it will just be the 10k that the bank will have to convert to forex).... I pray CBN do something about this

Good evening. I had mention this before. CBN as at today cannot issue individuals such a letter because they do not have any banking relationship with individuals. The CBN deals directly with banks and as such issues directives/circulars to guide their operations. Get the latest 2 circulars from CBN to banks on foreign exchange transactions. You can find them on the CBN website. Regardless of the limit of 15k usd (which is even per semester), it is your best option and will suffice for the purpose as demanded by CIC. This has worked for other people outside this forum.

In addition, visit your commercial bank and request for a letter of reference. This letter affirms your financial strength and also states the current balance in your account. Standard practice! Plead with the bank as well to incorporate a statement in the same letter stating that the funds that they have quoted as being in your account can be transferred/exported abroad for the purpose of foreign tuition payment and other personal expenses via form A and personal travel allowance transactions IN LINE WITH THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA'S POLICY ON FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRANSACTIONS.

Attach this letter of reference and the 2 CBN circulars with a cover letter written by you to provide more clarity.

This is your best shot and has worked for other people outside here. Not rocket science my people.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Igbouwanile(m): 11:21pm On Apr 26, 2017
Martins16:

Due to currency controls in effect in Nigeria, you must provide one of the followinag: 1) a letter from a Canadian financial institution stating that the funds necessary for the upcoming academic year* are on deposit in the your name and a bank statement for the Canadian account
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 26, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by penitential(m): 12:03am On Apr 27, 2017
Perotti:
Sorry bro for the late response. But you've gotten the best advice from fellow experts.
One thing you have to decide is;
1. Which do you prefer, United State or Canada?
2. Canada is a very good country with lots of opportunities.
As it's been said, get your I-20 form and go for your F1 visa interview. It's better when you have options and it's left for you to decide.
Although, I will advise you to wait a little provided there's still time for you and wait for the admission decision from Alberta so that you don't double spend for F1 interview. One thing am very sure of is that, if your admission is coming from alberta, it will come with some funding.
Remember that holders of F1 visas are not allowed to work except for some on-campus jobs. This is usually a turn-off for some people.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Is2bEe(m): 12:34am On Apr 27, 2017
mcobex:
cic is just being too strict on naija applicants , but I pray CBN sort this out asap. I also feel cic wants applicants to pay tuition fee before applying for trv but they don't know how to say it's now "mandatory " for students to pay their tuition before trv application
thank you very much. Cc: henrinco and atrapon

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by thesoj: 12:40am On Apr 27, 2017
Osemigho:
...Currently and in the next few years of Trump reign, if both click with funding, I will go to Alberta, even in my dream for so many reasons.

1: funding and its future. .... Canada 2 - 0 USA.

2: The end before the end speaks. Currently, With minimum of one year full time experience, good IELTS result, masters degree and age between 25-32, you are likely to get Canadian PR sooner than you think or could achieve with American dream. Canada again! 3 - 0. ...

3: The after study plan (PR and Job).... Canada again! 4-0. For job, I think US win, cos I heard it is far more than that of Canada. 4 - 1.

4: However, I think USA has better education. So, 4 - 2.
I'm fully in agreement with Osemigho here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (505)

German Embassy And Visa / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.