Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,416 members, 7,830,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 - Travel (395) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (884300 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mamacajah: 10:48am On Jul 04, 2017
Adeola012:

Bless you.
I plan on applying for their MBA foundation (3moths) since my gp is not up to 3.2 (can't go in for mba Straight).

Hello guys, pls confirm if studying at canwest will not affect your PR application down the line. I read on the ontario nominee website that only public schools are eligible, so please confirm.

I am like you guys, low cgpa of 3.06/5 and looking for schools to attend but I am now learning that I need to slow down, concerntrate and do deeper research. For example, are you aware of the schools who offer pre-masters program or pre-mba programs or mba foundations if MBA is your ultimate dream course? University of Manitoba has both pre masters and even accepts 2.2, you need GMAT to apply. currently applications are ongoing for august 2018. I missed the international student application deadline for July1st against Jan 2018 start.

TRU and VIU have foundation programmes, for you to apply. Please be aware that MBA programs across canada are all expensive, so if you can't wait to apply to MUN http://www.mun.ca/sgs/MinimumExpense.pdf ($10-12k) or Lakehead university https://www.lakeheadu.ca/current-students/tuition-fees/fees/graduate 9same range) for Sept 2018.

There's a lot of information out there, lets take the time to research, prepare and even get fundings. School life is not easy, let me tell you. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Moley22(m): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2017
klexycole:

Thanks for your response sir. Yes, they are responsive and Brandon University tuition is quite low too. However, I read some negative reviews about the school and the town of Brandon. Don't know if those reviews are honestly written.

I just need suggestions from those that are in the school or city to give me full insight about things going on around there. To your question, I'm going for undergraduate programme.

Many thanks. smiley

UG too... Well to your question the main goal is to get a good and certified degree. If we were to live by cities people wudnt even school these days, and by the way so long the school is accredited and a certified learning institution, i feel there's no cause to worry about, but in the end Its your choice and decision sir! Goodluck !!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Osemigho: 11:07am On Jul 04, 2017
Olakunlae:
I have a question. I'm applying to UofOttawa and Mcgill to study a thesis-based course. My question is, is it necessary to have a research topic/proposal before contacting a potential supervisor?

Not compulsory but it's good if you have. Some already have projects they want you to work on, some are willing to develop a proposal with you, while others will enjoy reading a good proposal.

Personally, I didn't have at the beginning(July/August 2016) of my search and emails, got some supervisors, mainly "supervisor A and supervisor C.

Supervisor C had a funding proposal she applied for and was willing to take me in and fund me with it. Her department needed a general and non-proposal kind of sop with the full support of atleast a faculty member. Midway through the application, her proposal was refused and she sent me a "sorry I can't find you again email".

supervisor A school need more than a strong proposal. She supported me in drafting one in September-November 2016. I used the proposal to search for more supervisors in December 2016 (including my current "supervisor B" at University of Calgary).

The full gist supervisor A and B below.

While I was struggling to develop a proposal on infrastructure for supervisor A, after she sent me numerous papers on it, the inspiration for my proposal on waste came during my discussion with my undergraduate thesis supervisor.

I sent an email to supervisor A that "although I am going through the papers she sent, I notice ... about waste and would like to know what she thinks about it". Supervisor A replied that new topic is very interesting and I should focus on that. She sent more papers, I replied with SOP with a proposal paragraph. she commented twice and I edited. third comment was "this is good and should fly".

I adjusted the proposal to remove supervisor A details and school, and I attached it to a "searching for a supervisor for a proposed topic" email to supervisor B. Supervisor B commented "interested, and will like to know what graduate level you are interested in, Master/Phd".

Fastfoward, Supervisor A's school refuse me admission, supervisor B's school accepted me with 2 years scholarship. I am still waiting for visa.

So, If you are going for fall 2018, I will advise you start sending a well drafted personalized email, while developing or if you are finding it difficult to develop a good proposal. Good luck.

Sorry for the long post.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Moley22(m): 11:10am On Jul 04, 2017
RealObserver:

My goodness!!!

Bro stop with your bickering and ill-informed posts, you are talking about things you have no experience of. People you see giving advice here are not just dishing it out for the sake of creating a post, they do it because they have an idea of how it works or have been through same situation in the past.

The lady in question asked the house for recommendations and the house is helping her out by sharing thoughts with her, you Mr. Man didn't say anything until you saw others sharing their thoughts, then you went on tackling every post on the subject matter...

There's this aura of dissent that you exude whenever you make a contribution, you want to always rub it on people's face that you know better, come on stop with your attitude, this is Nigeria, you are no longer in the US , learn to keep quiet when you have no experience whatsoever on the subject matter, and learn to respect people because the gurus you see here today have been around for over 2 years now and will be around in more years to come, but I am certain that you won't even remember this thread by September this year should you get your visa approved

Be humble... sit down

Breathe of fresh air!!!! cool smiley

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Moley22(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2017
jnyuwa02:

Talk of respect and humility in your post. Nuff said. This is the problem with Nigeria. What happened to freedom of speech and expression in this country? People can't express their ideas when it has repeatedly worked for them? I studied in the U.S. on full scholarship, all expenses paid, single handedly got my visa there. Now the same thing is happening for me in Canada for my graduate studies. Yet I know nothing and my ideas means nothing and I am not allowed to disagree with the so called gurus? Please continue to ignore me. I know some are listening and I will continue to dispense all I know and learn in the process too.

You make good points but your approach sometimes ehnnn... *sips coffee*

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Hiccups: 11:28am On Jul 04, 2017
Osemigho:

Not compulsory but it's good if you have.

Sorry for the long post.

With this post, I'll definitely need your assistance in reviewing my research proposal, You TRV is a done deal
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by valenti12(m): 11:29am On Jul 04, 2017
Moley22:

...Aggressive?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Olakunlae: 11:37am On Jul 04, 2017
Osemigho:

Not compulsory but it's good if you have. Some already have projects they want you to work on, some are willing to develop a proposal with you, while others will enjoy reading a good proposal.

Personally, I didn't have at the beginning(July/August 2016) of my search and emails, got some supervisors, mainly "supervisor A and supervisor C.

Supervisor C had a funding proposal she applied for and was willing to take me in and fund me with it. Her department needed a general and non-proposal kind of sop with the full support of atleast a faculty member. Midway through the application, her proposal was refused and she sent me a "sorry I can't find you again email".

supervisor A school need more than a strong proposal. She supported me in drafting one in September-November 2016. I used the proposal to search for more supervisors in December 2016 (including my current "supervisor B" at University of Calgary).

The full gist supervisor A and B below.

While I was struggling to develop a proposal on infrastructure for supervisor A, after she sent me numerous papers on it, the inspiration for my proposal on waste came during my discussion with my undergraduate thesis supervisor.

I sent an email to supervisor A that "although I am going through the papers she sent, I notice ... about waste and would like to know what she thinks about it". Supervisor A replied that new topic is very interesting and I should focus on that. She sent more papers, I replied with SOP with a proposal paragraph. she commented twice and I edited. third comment was "this is good and should fly".

I adjusted the proposal to remove supervisor A details and school, and I attached it to a "searching for a supervisor for a proposed topic" email to supervisor B. Supervisor B commented "interested, and will like to know what graduate level you are interested in, Master/Phd".

Fastfoward, Supervisor A's school refuse me admission, supervisor B's school accepted me with 2 years scholarship. I am still waiting for visa.

So, If you are going for fall 2018, I will advise you start sending a well drafted personalized email, while developing or if you are finding it difficult to develop a good proposal. Good luck.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks a lot.... I do appreciate this.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by glam4444: 11:44am On Jul 04, 2017
Moley22:

grin grin grin
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Gracee101: 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2017
hello fam am working somewhr and I applied for an undergraduate studies in canada I got admission, I applied for the undergraduate program because of my low c gpa.

Note: I was trying to avoid any interference from office based on in 3months I will be 1yr working there I wanted it private even though they approved my leave this month

Now i will be submitting my documents for trv by Thursday all documents ready I want to ask is it necessary to include introductory letter from office my employment letter and work I.d card are already available.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by maziude: 12:08pm On Jul 04, 2017
Hello bosses,

About this career change thingy...

It is quite simple... if you plan on changing careers, you cant just wake up one day and say I am no longer doing A, now I want B.

There is always a transition process. Same also goes when applying for canadian trv especially.

If you had A, and decide to shift to B, you should be doing something related to B at the moment in order to give your application a chance.

I am no expert in these things but like someone rightly, mentioned many delayed trv due to purpose all have disjointed career paths. That already is a sellout.

In as much as we want to study or switch, we should endeavour to always have a link somewhere and not give ourselves so many troubles with SOP.

I keep saying this, there are many linked fields and sub fields that are being churned out lately, the onus is on you to be able to do a thorough search to ensure you find these fields.

For example, if you studied mathematics/industrial mathematics and you are interested in finance, check financial engineering or financial mathematics. These kind of courses exist, you just have to find them.

My opinion...

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mamacajah: 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2017
maziude:
Hello bosses,

It is quite simple... if you plan on changing careers, you cant just wake up one day and say I am no longer doing A, now I want B.

There is always a transition process. Same also goes when applying for canadian trv especially.

If you had A, and decide to shift to B, you should be doing something related to B at the moment in order to give your application a chance.

I am no expert in these things but like someone rightly, mentioned many delayed trv due to purpose all have disjointed career paths. That already is a sellout.

In as much as we want to study or switch, we should endeavour to always have a link somewhere and not give ourselves so many troubles with SOP.

I keep saying this, there are many linked fields and sub fields that are being churned out lately, the onus is on you to be able to do a thorough search to ensure you find these fields.

For example, if you studied mathematics/industrial mathematics and you are interested in finance, check financial engineering or financial mathematics. These kind of courses exist, you just have to find them.

My opinion...
Thanks for this. So what would you advise someone like me..
1st degree Pure and Applied Statistics
2nd degree MSc supply chain mgt

my passion has been working with kids while my work experience has been data management and administrative support.
So which field can I go into that would align? undecided
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by masciano77: 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2017
jnyuwa02:

Talk of respect and humility in your post. Nuff said. This is the problem with Nigeria. What happened to freedom of speech and expression in this country? People can't express their ideas when it has repeatedly worked for them? I studied in the U.S. on full scholarship, all expenses paid, single handedly got my visa there. Now the same thing is happening for me in Canada for my graduate studies. Yet I know nothing and my ideas means nothing and I am not allowed to disagree with the so called gurus? Please continue to ignore me. I know some are listening and I will continue to dispense all I know and learn in the process too.

Guy, true, anyone has the right do decide what he or she feels is needs for their visa application. Like me, I included pictures of my landed properties and my car and even a 10m fix deposits I liquidated last year November (as my financial history). So you can write a PS that collaborate your application and if you choose not to, all well and good. The end is for us to get our TRV and the Canadian dream�

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by wealth360: 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2017
jnyuwa02:

I guess the SOP exists for no reason and one should never make career changes just to go get a TRV to Canada? Fallacy. Thank God gave us the brains to think for ourselves and at the end of the day, everyone would have to go by their gut instincts, listen to the sound of their own voice, not the sound of the choir. I find that gut instinct has always worked for me. Long before I read a word on this forum, I did fine and won for myself a full scholarship all expenses paid. On my way for a TRV now. I don't mean to denigrade the forum. It's important to bounce off ideas, but at the end of the day don't simply go by what you hear here, trust your instincts too. It's important to have a relationship with what you studied in the past, but by no means have no fear of making changes in your career and explain it to a VO. It is God who is in control.
baba J you have come again abi. @Austinpee4 just responded to a post that ''Well Said'' and you quoted him with all these. Guy channel all these energy into applying for your TRV. I dont think you wanna resume this September again I know you have so many scholarships offered to you from so many schools but learn to ignore some things here and its not everything you must react to or respond to. If i hear your argument again am gonna find you and fight you...Lol. Peace man

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by glam4444: 12:34pm On Jul 04, 2017
wealth360:
baba J you have come again abi. @Austinpee4 just responded to a post that ''Well Said'' and you quoted him with all these. Guy channel all these energy into applying for your TRV. I dont think you wanna resume this September again I know you have so many scholarships offered to you from so many schools but learn to ignore some things here and its not everything you must react to or respond to. If i hear your argument again am gonna find you and fight you...Lol. Peace man
grin grin@bold

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by glam4444: 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
wealth360:
baba J you have come again abi. @Austinpee4 just responded to a post that ''Well Said'' and you quoted him with all these. Guy channel all these energy into applying for your TRV. I dont think you wanna resume this September again I know you have so many scholarships offered to you from so many schools but learn to ignore some things here and its not everything you must react to or respond to. If i [b]hear your argument again am gonna find yo[/b]u and fight you...Lol. Peace man

grin grin
He will still come again

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Austinpee4: 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2017
Gracee101:
hello fam am working somewhr and I applied for an undergraduate studies in canada I got admission, I applied for the undergraduate program because of my low c gpa.

Note: I was trying to avoid any interference from office based on in 3months I will be 1yr working there I wanted it private even though they approved my leave this month

Now i will be submitting my documents for trv by Thursday all documents ready I want to ask is it necessary to include introductory letter from office my employment letter and work I.d card are already available.

Emmm, just before you submit your application, hope you have been able to justify with compelling reasons why you are going for another undergrad degree and in canada. Kindly tie all loosed ends, study gap must be explained substantially, your new field should have had preceeding interest or previous activity from you no matter how little.

Having a low cgpa alone might not be completely convincing. It will be hard to believe that an indulgence of 4 years had little or no interest attached to it. Please, do well to give a header in your application that you will do extremely well in your intended program.

Your low cgpa can work for or against you. Your application should assure the VO that your interest for another undegrad wasn't totally because of a low GPA but also from another strong premise. If you have documentary evidences to show, add it. That way you will strongly present yourself as a competitive student who will not struggle while studying in canada because they know it will be highly competetive and challenging studying in Canada especially as an undergraduate student.

BTW, since there will be need to explain your study gap and what you have been doing, you should add the introductory letter and a photocopy lf the ID card. It will reflect your current activity.

All the best in your application.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by bluegirl080115: 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2017
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by kozta: 1:07pm On Jul 04, 2017
I was refused Base on
1.insufficient accounts..
N:B I used ,my uncle's SOA of over 7million naira account and 35,000dols domiciliary account respectively. We don't bear d same surname
2. Travelling history
3.purpose of visit.
Have received another offer letter from centennial for winter 2018 already...pls bros and sis,what do I need 2do and I also need to knw my error
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mamacajah: 1:09pm On Jul 04, 2017
@all, please come help advise me. I am still at a cross roads of what study to embark on that would align with my school credentials/work experience. Please guys@austinepee4 and all the gurus in the house...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by jnyuwa02: 1:09pm On Jul 04, 2017
wealth360:

I am looking forward to meeting you this September at USASK and duking it out under the green grass. Rumble in the Jungle, Canada style. Who wants to be our referee? Lol

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by wealth360: 1:13pm On Jul 04, 2017
mamacajah:
Thanks for this. So what would you advise someone like me..
1st degree Pure and Applied Statistics
2nd degree MSc supply chain mgt

my passion has been working with kids while my work experience has been data management and administrative support.
So which field can I go into that would align? undecided
as i have send to you before @Mazuide is right. If you check very well Statistics, supply chain and data management are all social science courses. they are all related in one way or the other for you to proof this is either in your SOP when explaining and make sure you show your transcript to show that you have gone through these courses and your Job description on data management and administrative support should also be well explained. it all depends on you. My tot
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by wealth360: 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2017
glam4444:

grin grin
He will still come again
Of cos he will always be here. but he understood better what I meant.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by mamacajah: 1:19pm On Jul 04, 2017
wealth360:
as i have send to you before @Mazuide is right. If you check very well Statistics, supply chain and data management are all social science courses. they are all related in one way or the other for you to proof this is either in your SOP when explaining and make sure you show your transcript to show that you have gone through these courses and your Job description on data management and administrative support should also be well explained. it all depends on you. My tot
Thanks @wealth360, my Statistics was in Science(under Maths and Statistics) and not social science, so it means I might need to go back to science? I did want to do a course on Big Data and explain it in my SOP but most of the schools ask for computer science as a requirement...hmm..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Yomalicious(f): 1:23pm On Jul 04, 2017
maziude:
Hello bosses,

My opinion...
WORD

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Abacino007(m): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2017
thesoj:
Congrats! grin
Go to Canada and succeed!

@thesoj, I have read your posts and I need to discuss some issues with you privately.
I would appreciate it if I can have you e mail address. I really need your help.
Thanks as I await your reply
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Abacino007(m): 1:35pm On Jul 04, 2017
@wealth360, can I have your e mail address?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by maziude: 1:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
mamacajah:

Thanks @wealth360, my Statistics was in Science(under Maths and Statistics) and not social science, so it means I might need to go back to science? I did want to do a course on Big Data and explain it in my SOP but most of the schools ask for computer science as a requirement...hmm..

Boss,
I assume you are going for phd, since you have a second degree.

Have you considered Operations research/mgt with emphasis on data analysis as an example? it combines your statistics, a bit of supply chain and even your current activity.

These courses are evolving.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by MagnaB: 1:39pm On Jul 04, 2017
MrSmith9513:
Children Practice is Ideal. Fee is N28k and my result reflected after two days. Ensure you are there between 8-10am.

Thanks a bunch. The information was very useful.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by CanadianNurse: 1:42pm On Jul 04, 2017
jnyuwa02:

I am looking forward to meeting you this September at USASK and duking it out under the green grass. Rumble in the Jungle, Canada style. Who wants to be our referee? Lol
I volunteer sir..... I no know why I like this guy (jnyuwa02) always trynna pronounce your moniker to no avail tongue

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Frankrobbn1: 1:45pm On Jul 04, 2017
CanadianNurse:

School : ICM University of Manitoba
Course: Electrical engineering

Documents submitted include
Police certificate
Offer letter/loa
SOP
SOA OF 12 MILLION BALANCE (inflow and outflow no really tight but the source of money was expressly stated in my sponsors)
2 land documents
TTranscripts
Waec (7 A's 2 B's)
Toefl-score 98
Refrence letters from school
2 UK visas
1 current American visa
Shares certificates
Tuition receipts

Submitted my application on the 28th of March (linked online after 2weeks)

Medical mail & proof of fund export - May 04

Medical done on 5th and passed after one week or so

Letter of assurance on proof of fund export submitted on the 9th of June

Application approved on the 29th of June ( 3weeks from the day I submitted the proof of fund export and also 3 months from the day I submitted my app)

If any other detail comes up I will update the house as usual

Thanks

I tap to your testimony. Heaven will definitely force the visa officers to favour us all in Jesus name. Amen.
July/August won't pass us the TRV hopefuls bye.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 by Jahluv: 1:55pm On Jul 04, 2017
maziude:

Boss,
I assume you are going for phd, since you have a second degree.

Have you considered Operations research/mgt with emphasis on data analysis as an example? it combines your statistics, a bit of supply chain and even your current activity.

These courses are evolving.

Hello @Mizuide and Gurus, so what can you say about consistency of program in my case where I have

B.Ed Maths and Msc Industrial Maths and wants to reads Msc Scientific Computing program.

Currently teaching Maths at a secondary school

All opinions are warmly welcome everyone

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (505)

German Embassy And Visa / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.