Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

I Love My Dogs! - Pets (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Love My Dogs! (55414 Views)

Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Pls Suggest The Type Of Local Food I Can Give To My Dogs. / High Blood Content In My Dogs Urine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Dogs! by 688adepero: 12:08pm On Oct 02, 2021
okay
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Andrianjhony31: 8:04pm On Aug 14, 2022
It's too lovely your pets. But I want to ask a question. I need help regarding my pet. There is a significant problem with my Dog. I want to change my pet. Does anyone want to sell any type of pet like German, Cavapoo etc.?

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:35am On May 29, 2023
jayned:

Hmmm. Sorry for the long silence. It's because I have issues with my phone. I don't see the pictures I snap and when I used another camera, I could not upload, the size was too large.

I am not a fan of long posts without picture but I need to break the silence...

So after the first day we noticed Isis could be carrying,the next day, she was back to her normal self barking all the time (just like Zeus, they are the annoying duo). Isis and Zeus give us (excluding me though cos I can sleep for Africa lol) and the neighbours sleepless nights unless we lock Zeus up in his cage.

I would wake up to the sound of the dogs barking praying and wishing not to hear Isis voice but she always disappointed me. Anytime I left the house and came back, I would be checking to see if there were puppies around her of anything unusual but nothing. (the disappointment no be for here) One would have thought I should be used to this by now but that's not the case. I spent most of my time at home with her. Days 61,62,63,64 came and Isis was her gallant old self.

Then on day 65 in the morning, Hubby came to tell me it's possible Isis is in labour. I still smile as I remember the feeling. I guess it's similar to how grandmothers and possibly fathers feel at such times.

Just read my posts and boy they are so encouraging 😁😁.
Hi all I have missed you all been gone for like 2 years? Well I am back again.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:37am On May 29, 2023
KingAfo:
so sorry for this!!!! wow
i missed your updates, my dog MISSY died as well (i always use her litter to calculate missy's)
RIP to them all
Thank you so much

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by lordchiz(m): 6:29pm On May 29, 2023
Best thing I read today....your diary is exceptional and strength to all of us who loves Caucasian dog but don't have shishi to pay for any! I hope to have one someday....I am only opportuned to have ekuke from childhood cry

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Goodybagyo1(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2023
Good morning, I’m sorry for posting this here. I just bought this Puppy from a friend and I need advice. How pure is this GDS

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
lordchiz:
Best thing I read today....your diary is exceptional and strength to all of us who loves Caucasian dog but don't have shishi to pay for any! I hope to have one someday....I am only opportuned to have ekuke from childhood cry
Glad you enjoyed reading. Praying for open doors. All the best.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 1:13pm On Jun 01, 2023
Remember the unfortunate incident I reported here the other time, well we had to relocate and had to keep Isis with my parents. She came on heat and was mated November 2021. Unfortunately she didn't get pregnant. Because she was not with us, no one really checked to see if she came on heat again so we lost 2 years.
Fast forward to this year 2023, she was finally able to join us and it was quite easy for me to spot the blood when she came on heat because I was vigilant and also thanks to the interlock.
We did the 1st mating on Friday, 24th March, 2023 (10 days after spoting the blood), and the second on Monday, 27th March. ( I need these details for reference 😁😁)
Well, she started showing after some weeks and then she grew VERY pregnant. I just knew it won't be 2/3 puppies as usual. Soon enough, I could feels the puppies when I palpate her tummy.

1st picture, the mating that failed in 2021
2nd picture Isis very pregnant at 8weeks 4days ( she grew even rounder subsequently)

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 4:59am On Jun 02, 2023
I have read somewhere that if a dog is carrying many puppies, she is likely to whelp earlier than 63 days. Well I knew Isis was carrying alot more than she had ever carried cos it was very visible so you can imagine how expectant I was before day 63. Well, suffice to say I was in for a loooonnnggg wait. I can't not express how the anxiety was eating me up.(funny I have experienced this before with the same Isis). I now resorted to checking Google and YouTube. The things I saw didn't make me feel any better. At some point I was even angry at the Isis (seemed she was holding them back on purpose) .
I would gently palpate her tummy at every chance I got. I became obsessed.
Meanwhile, she has been panting heavily, is lethargic but does not joke with her food. Then I remembered my diary here on nairaland, I started combing through to see what I can learn from past experiences. It was really rewarding.
There was however an experience I did not see in this diary and i wonder why it was not captured. I will tell u all in the next post. Cheers
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:04am On Jun 02, 2023
jayned:
I have read somewhere that if a dog is carrying many puppies, she is likely to whelp earlier than 63 days. Well I knew Isis was carrying alot more than she had ever carried cos it was very visible so you can imagine how expectant I was before day 63. Well, suffice to say I was in for a loooonnnggg wait. I can't not express how the anxiety was eating me up.(funny I have experienced this before with the same Isis). I now resorted to checking Google and YouTube. The things I saw didn't make me feel any better. At some point I was even angry at the Isis (seemed she was holding them back on purpose) .
I would gently palpate her tummy at every chance I got. I became obsessed.
Meanwhile, she has been panting heavily, is lethargic but does not joke with her food. Then I remembered my diary here on nairaland, I started combing through to see what I can learn from past experiences. It was really rewarding.
There was however an experience I did not see in this diary and i wonder why it was not captured. I will tell u all in the next post. Cheers

A picture of Isis I grabbed from a video. See the bulge?

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Haroldjunior: 8:01am On Jun 02, 2023
Very very very heavy o
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Leemekzy: 9:47am On Jun 02, 2023
Nice
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Dwaynestefan: 1:04pm On Jun 02, 2023
jayned:

A picture of Isis I grabbed from a video. See the bulge?

Well done ma, honestly you’re second to none.
Your page is very educating, I’ve been waiting for a top line GSD. But you’ve made me fall in love with CAUC
Glad I’m here the right time…😊
Read all through your page, I’m getting a puppy or Two(Depending on the Price) from this litter(Isis).

If possible I saw your number on this page, I could write you on WhatsApp so I don’t miss this litter from ISIS.

What about IRA?

Edited

Really sorry for your loss mam🙁, I just saw what happened to IRA & Zeus (2020).
And I also thank God for your life. And also nothing happened to Isis.

Hoping for your response mam, and for a safe delivery for Isis
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:38am On Jun 03, 2023
There was this time Isis was pregnant I think it's the pregnancy before the last one. She wasn't carrying many infact I felt just 2 puppies. Come day 63, she failed to whelp. I was really worried the puppies might be too big to be born hence the delay. I took her to the teaching hospital where they confirmed she might be pregnant and to return if she exceeds day 75 or so. I was thinking they would scan see one of the puppies too big and blocking the birth canal ( too much google and youtube)
We came home disappointed but hopeful then on day 70 it happened she gave birth to 2 sickly puppies. The second was so tiny and lifeless when he was born how Isis brought him to life was simply amazing. She grabbed him by the neck and hit him hard on the ground severally I stood there very scared thinking she wanted to kill it or worse of all eat it. Then I heard a faint cry "it's alive". Unfortunately it went on to cry for about 2 days nonstop. It would not latch. It drove Isis crazy and me too. I also noticed she didn't feel safe where she whelped like there were rodents moving within the wall and all. There was this time she moved the puppies outside to an exposed place. She became overprotective of them. I tried feeding them formula... I was relieved when the very sick one died it was no longer in pain and we could finally sleep! Phew! Unfortunately, the other one died some days afterwards.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:48am On Jun 03, 2023
Dwaynestefan:

Well done ma, honestly you’re second to none.
Your page is very educating, I’ve been waiting for a top line GSD. But you’ve made me fall in love with CAUC
Glad I’m here the right time…😊
Read all through your page, I’m getting a puppy or Two(Depending on the Price) from this litter(Isis).

If possible I saw your number on this page, I could write you on WhatsApp so I don’t miss this litter from ISIS.

What about IRA?

Edited

Really sorry for your loss mam🙁, I just saw what happened to IRA & Zeus (2020).
And I also thank God for your life. And also nothing happened to Isis.

Hoping for your response mam, and for a safe delivery for Isis
Sure we can talk on whatsapp. I am glad you find my diary educating and interesting.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 12:05pm On Jun 03, 2023
jayned:
After typing an epistle my message did not deliver. I will update later.

Remember I mentioned Isis and Zeus were supposed to mate on the 26th of November, a day after the unfortunate incident? Well it turned they mated on the night of the incident. Long story short Isis was delivered of 3 bouncing boys. We just woke up to 2 puppies by 7 am today, 28th Jan. (If this is not a miracle, I don't know what is). The 3rd puppy came about 2 hours later.
Their temporary names are Testimony, Hope and Miracle��

Well I have a surprise for you all. Remember these 3 miracle puppies story? Well back then, Testimony was taken, Miracle and hope were to leave in a few days. A day after Testimony left the puppies took ill and their health deterioted at an alarming rate. I remember @Uboma (my faithful nairaland customer) and one other guy were on my neck for their puppies (thankfully I had not collected money) . I called the guy who picked Testimony and he confirmed that Testimony was equally sick. Turns out it's the dreaded parvo well Miracle and hope didn't make it but Testimony who is now known as Slam made it. His pawrent used a different vet and by God's grace he made it.

If a prophet from the bible had mentioned that Slam and Isis would ever live in the same house, I would have just said this one dey learn work. Well, after a second kidnap from the same house( story for another day ), we had to relocate to a temporary place and started hunting for a house with compound that would accommodate dogs. It was very difficult almost impossible. Incidentally, Slam's pawrent was also in search of new accommodation. God helping us, we secured this place and subsequently mother and son are reunited.

Pictures of Slam. Reminds me so much of Zeus. Slam is a sweet sweet boy and he made his debut today. Yayyyy. He mated for the first time today. The exercise started yesterday with a very receptive lady but was not successful as they are both 1st timers. Thankfully it went well this morning.

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 6:44pm On Jun 04, 2023
Thank goodness you and your family are safe, and I'm really glad you've resumed your updates on the dogs. Read your thread last year, and I've been anticipating current updates on the dogs; so I followed your page. And damn you're such a good writer; I was overwhelmed by your details in describing each event as they unwrapped, you would definitely be an amazing journalist or writer; I would buy your book if you write one, lol grin.
Pls do not retract your efforts on updating us about your pets.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:05am On Jun 06, 2023
Onclejoe:
Thank goodness you and your family are safe, and I'm really glad you've resumed your updates on the dogs. Read your thread last year, and I've been anticipating current updates on the dogs; so I followed your page. And damn you're such a good writer; I was overwhelmed by your details in describing each event as they unwrapped, you would definitely be an amazing journalist or writer; I would buy your book if you write one, lol grin.
Pls do not retract your efforts on updating us about your pets.
See me laughing sheepishly. Thanks for this. Really encouraging.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 6:43am On Jun 06, 2023
Just realized my last post did not post 😁 and it was yet another epistle o angryoo. Kai where do I begin from now?
Well we made a cage for Isis with a delivery cubicle . The design was fine but the dimension was not. The dimension was a little too small for Isis.
Come Thursday 1st June, 2023, being day 70 of 1st mating, The cry of a puppy was heard by my neighbor who alerted me. I remember waking up to the sound of my phone ringing by 4.10am and knowing exactly why. I was disoriented as a result of excitement. Went to her cage and indeed there was an all black tiny puppy crying his lungs out. Now that I think of it, I can guess why. Isis did not feel safe and she was transferring her insecurity to the puppy. Again the cage was built very high and slam was directly under her cage wondering what was going on. Slam was barking agitating the dogs in the next compound who were equally frantically barking. We had to chain slam away from Isis. She kept whimpering, carrying the puppy in her mouth trying to scratch through the wall of the cage to get out. Seeing how insecure she was I had to talk to her, tell her she is safe, I am here now, caress her. She sure calmed down and about 22mins later, the second puppy came she was able to reach her rear, tear the sac, cut the umbilical cord, lick,lick,lick , eat placenta etc. All the other puppies came out quiet some even wriggling out of the sac by themselves. They were up and agile in no time meanwhile the first was still crying. She went on to birth 5 more puppies in my presence at some point reaching her rear was a problem cos the cage was small and there were puppies in between so I had to assist. If she popped, they literally made the pop sound when they came out of her. I would grab and take to her head region for the remaining process. There were puppies, blood, birth fluid everywhere. It was really disgusting but... I found a way to lay cartons I had been saving on the floor of the cage to absorb the fluids.
By 7.30, I had to go on school run and some 2 hours later, I came back to 9 puppies unfortunately 1 was dead. Incidentally, that particular one was alive when I left, I noticed him because of his unique colour (all puppies were relatively the same size but for the 1st who was tinnier). I still don't know how or what killed the guy. Tried resuscitation without luck. Milk was coming out of its nose meaning he was feeding at some point. Now we have 8 very boisterous puppies. Glory to God.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Dwaynestefan: 11:53am On Jun 06, 2023
jayned:
Just realized my last post did not post 😁 and it was yet another epistle o angryoo. Kai where do I begin from now?
Well we made a cage for Isis with a delivery cubicle . The design was fine but the dimension was not. The dimension was a little too small for Isis.
Come Thursday 1st June, 2023, being day 70 of 1st mating, The cry of a puppy was heard by my neighbor who alerted me. I remember waking up to the sound of my phone ringing by 4.10am and knowing exactly why. I was disoriented as a result of excitement. Went to her cage and indeed there was an all black tiny puppy crying his lungs out. Now that I think of it, I can guess why. Isis did not feel safe and she was transferring her insecurity to the puppy. Again the cage was built very high and slam was directly under her cage wondering what was going on. Slam was barking agitating the dogs in the next compound who were equally frantically barking. We had to chain slam away from Isis. She kept whimpering, carrying the puppy in her mouth trying to scratch through the wall of the cage to get out. Seeing how insecure she was I had to talk to her, tell her she is safe, I am here now, caress her. She sure calmed down and about 22mins later, the second puppy came she was able to reach her rear, tear the sac, cut the umbilical cord, lick,lick,lick , eat placenta etc. All the other puppies came out quiet some even wriggling out of the sac by themselves. They were up and agile in no time meanwhile the first was still crying. She went on to birth 5 more puppies in my presence at some point reaching her rear was a problem cos the cage was small and there were puppies in between so I had to assist. If she popped, they literally made the pop sound when they came out of her. I would grab and take to her head region for the remaining process. There were puppies, blood, birth fluid everywhere. It was really disgusting but... I found a way to lay cartons I had been saving on the floor of the cage to absorb the fluids.
By 7.30, I had to go on school run and some 2 hours later, I came back to 9 puppies unfortunately 1 was dead. Incidentally, that particular one was alive when I left, I noticed him because of his unique colour (all puppies were relatively the same size but for the 1st who was tinnier). I still don't know how or what killed the guy. Tried resuscitation without luck. Milk was coming out of its nose meaning he was feeding at some point. Now we have 8 very boisterous puppies. Glory to God.

Congrats 👏

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 06, 2023
cheesy
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:30am On Jun 22, 2023
Puppies are 3 weeks today! Yayyy! All glory be to God. At this point, there are 7 of them we came back on the 1st Sunday of delivery to find 1 dead outside the cage. It's still a mystery how that happened ( meanwhile the cage was left open for Isis to go out for pee breaks).

On the second day of whelping, I dewormed Isis cos I saw a worm wriggling in her poo.(tape worm I think. I should have dewormed her while pregnant.) The next day, she started purging and before I knew it, the smallest puppy started as well then it was an epidemic. Had to treat them all for 5 days. Didn't seem like the drugs were working cos the puppies spat it out all the time but I didn't relent. After the medication, their poo became firm.

Started feeding puppies at day 10. Reception was fair. Still feeding them same 4×daily
1. Kibbles
2. Cerelac
3. My boy milk
4. Egg yolk

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by collinsy2: 7:50pm On Jun 25, 2023
@jayned, how do I get in touch with you for a puppy?
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 3:50pm On Jun 26, 2023
I strongly disagree my doberman has never suffered any injury on her ears and she is cute with it, also it helps me understand her moods. When you crop the ear and dock the tail it makes it harder for your dog to communicate with you. On the other hand it makes them look more aggressive and dangerous when you do it
jayned:

I heard somewhere that cropping the ears prevents them from getting injuries there due to consistent flapping to chase away flies. on the other hand, it makes them finer (don't u think so?)
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Eveezy(m): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2023
wallace18:
I strongly disagree my doberman has never suffered any injury on her ears and she is cute with it, also it helps me understand her moods. When you crop the ear and dock the tail it makes it harder for your dog to communicate with you. On the other hand it makes them look more aggressive and dangerous when you do it
How does a fallen ear help you understand the mood of a dog?
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 7:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
Dogs need their ears - and here's why
It sounds obvious, right? Dogs are born with ears - so they must have a purpose and they must be important. They are. Dogs don't just use their ears for hearing but also for communicating with other dogs and with us too. Sadly, there are some people out there who believe that certain breeds and types of dogs should have their ears surgically altered or even completely removed. This awful process is called ear cropping. Ear cropping is illegal in England and Wales, under Section 5 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It's a painful process where a dog's outer ears are removed altogether or are surgically altered, with the tips or huge sections of the outer ear being cut off. It's against the law to carry out this procedure yourself or to send your dog to a vet in this country or abroad to have their ears cropped. Unfortunately, it still happens.
Eveezy:

Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 7:14pm On Jun 27, 2023
In some medical situations, vets may perform a procedure called a pinnectomy that can look like the ears have been cropped. This is only done in the case of disease of the ears and is more usually required in white cats who can sometimes get skin cancer. The procedure is allowed when there are clear medical reasons - clearly very different to when ears are surgically altered for cosmetic reasons.
Tail docking is another procedure that is illegal unless carried out by a vet for medical reasons - and having a 'working dog' is not an exemption to the rule. No dogs should have their ears cropped. Period.
Eveezy:

Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2023
Dogs use their ears to help us, and other animals, understand how they're feeling. Without their ears, dogs have fewer ways of communicating with us. When my dog does something wrong, or she is hungry or sad I always know cos she lets her ear fall like in submission. When she is angry or feeling threatened or other dogs are around the ears stand erect.
wallace18:
Dogs need their ears - and here's why
It sounds obvious, right? Dogs are born with ears - so they must have a purpose and they must be important. They are. Dogs don't just use their ears for hearing but also for communicating with other dogs and with us too. Sadly, there are some people out there who believe that certain breeds and types of dogs should have their ears surgically altered or even completely removed. This awful process is called ear cropping. Ear cropping is illegal in England and Wales, under Section 5 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It's a painful process where a dog's outer ears are removed altogether or are surgically altered, with the tips or huge sections of the outer ear being cut off. It's against the law to carry out this procedure yourself or to send your dog to a vet in this country or abroad to have their ears cropped. Unfortunately, it still happens.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 7:22pm On Jun 27, 2023
Furthermore dogs' ears can move independently of one another and move towards the direction of sound so that they can be positioned in the optimal place for hearing. The outer ear is shaped to capture sound waves and funnel them into the ear canal and towards the eardrum. It's not yet known whether surgical changes (such as ear cropping) affects hearing but it's possible. Also where a dog's ears are placed, also known as their ear carriage, can help us understand if a dog is worried or happy and relaxed. If a dog's ears have been removed, it can be more difficult to know how they're feeling.
Eveezy:

Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 7:28pm On Jun 27, 2023
Ear cropping is painful and completely unnecessary. Despite what some breeders will claim, cropping a dog's ears does not benefit them in any way. It can be detrimental to their health, behaviour and welfare in the short-term and in the long-term.

Dogs have their ears cropped for one reason and one reason only; to achieve a certain 'look'. In short, it makes them look tougher, more intimidating. Historically, breeds such as Dobermans had their ears cropped as puppies and then splinted - taped to bits of wood or cardboard - to make their ears grow upwards instead of leaving them to go floppy. Now, we tend to see breeds such as American bullies having their whole ears removed.

Dogs are being put through this painful process simply to make them look a certain way. It's entirely for the owner's taste and could affect the dogs for the rest of his or her life.
wallace18:
Furthermore dogs' ears can move independently of one another and move towards the direction of sound so that they can be positioned in the optimal place for hearing. The outer ear is shaped to capture sound waves and funnel them into the ear canal and towards the eardrum. It's not yet known whether surgical changes (such as ear cropping) affects hearing but it's possible. Also where a dog's ears are placed, also known as their ear carriage, can help us understand if a dog is worried or happy and relaxed. If a dog's ears have been removed, it can be more difficult to know how they're feeling.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Eveezy(m): 10:55am On Jul 04, 2023
wallace18:
Hmmm ok. However my question is how does a fallen ear make one understand a dog mood?
You stated your Doberman ear was left untouched, how does the fallen ear of your Doberman help you understand it’s mood? A floppy ear has little or no way of determining the mood of a dog. However if it’s a dog with errect ears, I can agree

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 11:29am On Jul 04, 2023
She can lift her fallen ears to stand half erect when on gaurd. When she does this I know something is wrong. Either there is an intruder or something else has her deep attention and she is trying to track the where the sound is coming from. You can train the ears to be fully erect by taping it in that erect position for more at least 3-6 months
Eveezy:

Hmmm ok. However my question is how does a fallen ear make one understand a dog mood?
You stated your Doberman ear was left untouched, how does the fallen ear of your Doberman help you understand it’s mood? A floppy ear has little or no way of determining the mood of a dog. However if it’s a dog with errect ears, I can agree

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

330-Year-Old Male Land Turtle In Ogbomoso (Photos) / A Dog Made FRSC Officials Free The Boss In Edo State / A Lion, A Bear & Tiger Rescued From Abusive Owners, Bonded Together As Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.