Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

I Love My Dogs! - Pets (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Love My Dogs! (55281 Views)

Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Pls Suggest The Type Of Local Food I Can Give To My Dogs. / High Blood Content In My Dogs Urine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2023
collinsy2:
@jayned, how do I get in touch with you for a puppy?
Sorry just seeing this. I trust you have already. Thanks for your interest.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by EgunMogaji2: 3:05pm On Jul 05, 2023
wallace18:
She can lift her fallen ears to stand half erect when on gaurd. When she does this I know something is wrong. Either there is an intruder or something else has her deep attention and she is trying to track the where the sound is coming from. You can train the ears to be fully erect by taping it in that erect position for more at least 3-6 months

Both my Dobermans have their ears cropped and I have no issue communicating with them. Ear cropping may be illegal in certain countries but itโ€™s not in Nigeria and we can choose to do it to our canines if we want.

You come across as a very judgemental person.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2023
Ah I will crop my dogs ears if need be medically not by default. Can't judge anyone that does it to their canine for any reason cos it's personal. But know that the world is trying to stop this process by many means. Before Mary Slessor killing of twins was generally accepted as a normal process but that didn't make it right. I strongly hope you get my drift. Imagine if your parents gave you tribal marks just cos it's the standard procedure in their tradition or ethnic background. Your ethnicity would be better identified but does that take away the maming of your face?
EgunMogaji2:

Both my Dobermans have their ears cropped and I have no issue communicating with them. Ear cropping may be illegal in certain countries but itโ€™s not in Nigeria and we can choose to do it to our canines if we want.

You come across as a very judgemental person.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by EgunMogaji2: 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2023
wallace18:
Ah I will crop my dogs ears if need be medically not by default. Can't judge anyone that does it to their canine for any reason cos it's personal. But know that the world is trying to stop this process by many means. Before Mary Slessor killing of twins was generally accepted as a normal process but that didn't make it right. I strongly hope you get my drift. Imagine if your parents gave you tribal marks just cos it's the standard procedure in their tradition or ethnic background. Your ethnicity would be better identified but does that take away the maming of your face?

More proof of being judgemental.

I should leave you alone now. Especially when you start comparing me to a dog.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wallace18(m): 1:30am On Jul 06, 2023
Yes pls do avoid me, not only can't you read you also lack understanding. I'm comparing a process, a painful one. I wonder how anything can communicate well with you, I guess now that's me trying to be judgemental now.
EgunMogaji2:

More proof of being judgemental.

I should leave you alone now. Especially when you start comparing me to a dog.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:16pm On Jan 04
At 7 months after I first noticed blood for the last heat, and 5months after whelping, I noticed blood on the 29th of October. I actually thought Isis had injured herself as I didn't expect she would come on heat again so soon. Besides, she was yet to grow her hair fully.
Come Tuesday 31st October, I noticed Slam trying to mount her and she was receptive. I was scared and had to rush her to a vet immediately. A progesterone test was conducted and the level was 2.27( test cost N5,000). The viable mating date was just in 4 days time (my 1st time of testing).
I had been putting off vaccinating her (distemper booster) for a while now. I had to vaccinate (zoetis by Pfizer N4,000) and deworm her on the 1st of Nov then mated on Saturday 4th Nov.
It's day 60 today 4th Jan,2024. She currently looks pregnant but I don't feel any puppies when I palpate.
Her teats are very large but no milk yet.
She has been docile and has been panting.
Appetite still ok.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 9:43am On Jan 09
Today's Jan 9, should be day 65th, has she given birth? My GSD is also on day 51, I hope you can update the thread soon; and I get to learn a few things to get me prepared for my pups birth
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:13pm On Jan 09
Onclejoe:
Today's Jan 9, should be day 65th, has she given birth? My GSD is also on day 51, I hope you can update the thread soon; and I get to learn a few things to get me prepared for my pups birth
You are very right. It's day 65 today ooo and I had not felt any puppies and no milk yet. It's strange cos by now, I should have felt puppy movements.
Besides the tummy bulge is not progressing though her teats are well pronounced. I have experienced phantom pregnancy with Ira several times in the past.
After Palpatine her several times within the day, I decided to do it one more time before bed and voila! I felt a movement.
She had 9 puppies in the last litter on day 70 of 1st day mating. It's the trend with her. she takes long to deliver whether she is carrying many or little.
I feel she has few puppies in this litter though.
Meanwhile, I have been careless about caging her during this pregnancy. She usually runs free during the day and caged at night when slam takes over duty. She is super active and always jumping, alert and ready to attack. (Next time, i will ensure she is caged except for supervised breaks)

Wishing your dog safe carriage and delivery.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by kals4luv990(m): 10:27am On Jan 12
jayned:

You are very right. It's day 65 today ooo and I had not felt any puppies and no milk yet. It's strange cos by now, I should have felt puppy movements.
Besides the tummy bulge is not progressing though her teats are well pronounced. I have experienced phantom pregnancy with Ira several times in the past.
After Palpatine her several times within the day, I decided to do it one more time before bed and voila! I felt a movement.
She had 9 puppies in the last litter on day 70 of 1st day mating. It's the trend with her. she takes long to deliver whether she is carrying many or little.
Meanwhile, I have been careless about caging her during this pregnancy. She usually runs free during the day and caged at night when slam takes over duty. She is super active and always jumping, alert and ready to attack. (Next time, i will ensure she is caged except for supervised breaks)

Ma I would love to get a puppy from you when next your dog gives birth

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:52pm On Jan 12
kals4luv990:
Ma I would love to get a puppy from you when next your dog gives birth
Oh I would be honored. โ˜บ
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 6:01pm On Jan 12
jayned:

It's actually day 70 of 1st mating today. I can only feel 1 puppy (and not very active) though her tummy feels fuller now. With the last litter, I could feel 4 (I was expecting a large litter) and she looked very pregnant and by this time, life don tire her.
Again, I feel this litter is small.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by wizi44(m): 8:29am On Jan 13
jayned:

It's actually day 70 of 1st mating today. I can only feel 1 puppy (and not very active) though her tummy feels fuller now. With the last litter, I could feel 4 (I was expecting a large litter) and she looked very pregnant and by this time, life don tire her.
Again, I feel this litter is small.
would really love to get a puppy, do you by chance have mating pics
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 10:26pm On Jan 14
jayned:

Amazing! Can you please explain the concept of palpation, how and when can it be done.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:46am On Jan 18
The wait is finally over. At day 75 of 1st mating, she finally whelped(17th jane, 2024). The sad news is she whelped only 1 puppy just as I predicted. I am still researching why dogs whelp singletons but for now, I think the date I was given for the most viable time to mate is wrong., or the male dog has been over mated.
Funny 7 serious buyers have been waiting for this litter.
It's a boy! Yayyyy! May God bless and keep him and give me the peace I desperately need.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:49am On Jan 18
Onclejoe:

Amazing! Can you please explain the concept of palpation, how and when can it be done.
Thanks
I don't even know how I developed this my method. But it's usually when she is lying on her side. I use both hand on both sides of the belly and feel gently for movements.
I developed the skill over time because of how close I am to the dogs and how regular I feel their bellies when they are pregnant.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 5:50am On Jan 18
wizi44:
would really love to get a puppy, do you by chance have mating pics
Maybe next time. There is only 1 puppy ๐Ÿ˜”.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 5:28pm On Jan 18
jayned:

I don't even know how I developed this my method. But it's usually when she is lying on her side. I use both hand on both sides of the belly and feel gently for movements.
I developed the skill over time because of how close I am to the dogs and how regular I feel their bellies when they are pregnant.

Thanks
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 5:30pm On Jan 18
jayned:
The wait is finally over. At day 75 of 1st mating, she finally whelped(17th jane, 2024). The sad news is she whelped only 1 puppy just as I predicted. I am still researching why dogs whelp singletons but for now, I think the date I was given for the most viable time to mate is wrong., or the male dog has been over mated.
It's a boy! Yayyyy! May God bless and keep him and give me the peace I desperately need.

Sadly economically that's a loss but the peace of mind and less stress that you'll enjoy compared to when she whelps multiple puppies can't be undermined
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Onclejoe(m): 6:20pm On Jan 19
jayned:

OMG! @jayned my dog whelped yesterday night, she whelped just a pup!! cry
What a sad coincidence cry
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 12:10am On Jan 20
Onclejoe:

OMG! @jayned my dog whelped yesterday night, she whelped just a pup!! cry
What a sad coincidence cry
No way!!! There must be a bug in the air. Now we are in the same whatsapp group ๐Ÿ˜. Here is my number 7037622900 so we can compare notes. Wow! Incidentally I know someone else whose dog whleped a singleton a month ago.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 1:01am On Jan 20
So after Isis whelped I went into grief mode honestly I didn't feel blessed. I wondered where I went wrong. Her diet has been the best it had ever been after the last litter. I wondered if letting her jump around while pregnant had anything to do with this. Well...
As a Christian, I believe that ALL things work together for my good. And God can bless through a million and 1 means if he choses to.
Suffice to say, I feel sooooo blessed for a thousand reasons. Isis is alive, the puppy is alive and certainly healthy etc. Did I mention he is a stunner? I always look forward to seeing him when I am not home.
Now to my theory of why Isis whelped a singleton. I strongly feel she mated earlier. Now a little background. When Zeus was alive, the highest number of puppies she ever had was 3 in all her 4 litters back then. Back then, I used to let them roam free and mate as much as they wanted thinking plenty mating would increase the chances of multiple puppies I think I was wrong.
I just learnt that waiting for the bitch to reach the peak of ovulation before mating is what guarantees a high number of puppies(I may be wrong).
The sad news of this whole episode is that I feel slam is responsible for this pregnancy. How i wish I can conduct a DNA. We all know that inbreeding is a no no as we know it can go either ways.. the puppy may inherit good genes and turn out extremely good or inherit bad genes and turn out with issues. Hmm so far, he looks really good praying that the former is his case.
Here are my regrets if really Isis was mated by her son.
1. I didn't need to run a progesterone level test.
2. I didn't need to pay for mating with another dog
3. I didn't need to transport her for mating which is usually not convenient.
4. She didn't need to be gagged and raped
5. I didn't need to take her away from home for some days so that Slam would not be agitated
6. Slam badly wanted to mate her and refused eating for about 2 weeks (I marked it on my calender) he lost weight and would cry all night. This is even after i took her away from home after the 2nd mating and brougt her back after about a week.
7. Thankfully I don't regret letting her jump around
8. If Slam is the dad, thankfully it's just a puppy and hopefully he turns out good.
Why do I suspect Slam is the father? The male we mated with is not black while this puppy is shinny black like Slam though with white socks which Slam does not have.
Well I don't intend selling Edward...the name my kids gave him. ๐Ÿค” I wonder why. I will keep him not because I want a male dog but for research purposes and he is absolutely adorable and I feel it would be irresponsible of me to sell him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Dog Mauls Owner's 4-Year-Old Son To Death In Rivers (Graphic Photo) / 330-Year-Old Male Land Turtle In Ogbomoso (Photos) / A Lion, A Bear & Tiger Rescued From Abusive Owners, Bonded Together As Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.