Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,822 members, 7,959,580 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 09:13 PM

Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? (19713 Views)

Should I Pay Tithe From My 20k Stimulus I Got From Government? / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? / Motorist Uses "I Tithe" As Car Number Plate (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by wirinet(m): 12:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
adeadeyera:
Tithe has NEVER been a compulsion. NEVER.
It's a pity most defaulters and a large number of Christians think it is.

Tell that to Nigerian Pentecostal pastors whose only message and path to salvation is tithes, offerings, and givings.

Tithing will cause God to open the windows of heaven upon you. If you choose to pay, you're then ready to have God's abundance.
If you don't, the opposite it the case.
Then how do you explain so many people who have abundance of riches and other material things without having paid a dime of tithes in their life, and then you have millions of tithe paying Christians living in abject poverty.

Now, think of this for a while. The same God causes the rain to fall on believers and sinners. Abi? Your normal life continues. Just that you can't have the privileges that Tithers enjoy from God. Period!
can you please list the privileges tithers enjoy that is not enjoyed by non-tithers. At least you can tell us what you are enjoying that others non tithers like me do not enjoy.
Again, if you pay, heaven opens up for you. If you don't, it closes. That simple.

The bulk rests absolutely with you. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by komoayo: 12:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
The bible let us understand In book of 2 Corinthian 9,7 says let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart,not grudgingly or under compulsion, for god loves a cheerful giver......also book of Hebrew 7,5,18 and colossian 2,13,14.let us understand that tithe is part law gave to the ancient is real. To understand more u can read the book of Hebrew and colossian In detail.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by ozimec(m): 12:35pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:
Please, i need a Godly, Moral advice on this.

I'm still a student and i am willing to give to God but my allowance is very small.
After removing money for handouts, textbooks and assignments, the left over is little that it might not last 5 days. Should i still go ahead and give the tithe?

Look att what the bible says concerning tithes in Malachi 3v9-10 ; ' 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

The point there is that when you have and you don't pay, it's a robbery to God, secondly, when you pay there is a promise of showers of blessing. So, it's up to you to decide.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by pauljumbo(m): 12:44pm On Mar 05, 2017
mctowel01:

Giving to charity is more valuable and dignifying than giving to an already rich pastor

Is there any church richer than united nations that people give to all over the world.

The focus is not the pastor but obedience to Gods principle
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
My dear Bro or sis, let me explain with illustrations to buttress why you should pay your tithe. Tithe is 1/10 or 10% of your earnings be it pocket money, business money or salary. Now Yahweh has blessed you in diverse ways first by giving life, secondly by giving money to take care of some of your needs. Now Yahweh only ask 10% while you keep 90% to yourself which is fair enough. Is that too difficult to comply with? It's very easy,just take Yahweh's own out of your income and use the rest for yourself. What will it profit a broda or sister to lay treasures here on earth while in heaven there's nothing to show?. So I advice if your convinced to pay your tithe based on what I illustrated.
Please don't let those who call themselves light but darkness on this forum deceive by saying what does the pastor uses the tithe for. Same persons will be shaking when they visit herbalist or occultic kingdom because they practice tithing over there.In fact they practice it more than believers because they're penalties which Satan use to threaten them. God has ways of dealing with his servants for disobedience

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by babadee1(m): 12:48pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

I'm still a student and i am willing to give to God but my allowance is very small.
After removing money for handouts, textbooks and assignments, the left over is little that it might not last 5 days. Should i still go ahead and give the tithe?

Paying tithes is not compulsory.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Alvino1(m): 12:53pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

dear op, the following are the grounds for qualification to tithe:
1. u must be a Christian (as I doubt if Muslims tithe)
2. u must be earning (if u havn't started earning, u can continue with just offering)
Note however.that the two requirements must be present before you can tithe, as the presence of one and absence of the other is not sufficient..
Now regarding the problems you re facing, it suffices me to say that even though u are a Christian by birth and church attendance, you really do not believe in God.. you think if u tithe, u will be left with little nd u think he's not aware of that?? you think he (God) would allow you go hungry after giving him your last??.. I DONT THINK SO BRO!! do you remember the poor hungry widow in the bible who had to share the last food meant for she and her son with a disciple cox God asked her to?? did God let her die of hunger?? NO HE DIDN'T.. I know u are familiar with all am saying...
conclusively, if I may ask, assuming you are beings asked to pay for the life that you are living now by way of tithes, would you still be posting this on here soliciting for ideas/advice?? I doubt... #YouKnowTheRest....

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by shamecurls(m): 12:57pm On Mar 05, 2017
Mental slavery!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by beegs(m): 1:07pm On Mar 05, 2017
U pay tithe from what you earn. Urs is allowance which means the person that gave you should have paid tithe on it. What u should do is give offerings, not PAY tithe

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by wirinet(m): 1:13pm On Mar 05, 2017
ozimec:

Look att what the bible says concerning tithes in Malachi 3v9-10 ; ' 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse , that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

The point there is that when you have and you don't pay, it's a robbery to God, secondly, when you pay there is a promise of showers of blessing. So, it's up to you to decide.

Wrong interpretation to suit the greed and avarice of new generation pastorprenuers. The keywords here is store house and food. It has nothing to do with salaries, wages and school allowances.

The key to having abundance in riches is acquisition of valuable knowledge and skills and the hard work. No other country outside Nigeria believes the secret to success is praying, tithes and offerings and fasting, this is the thinking of mentally and physically lazy people.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Okies27(m): 1:14pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

. Tithing is a personal obligation between you and God irrespective of the numerous sermons about it. If you are confused, ask the Holy Spirit and he will guide you what to do about it. Many will misguide you here.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by ehissi(m): 1:17pm On Mar 05, 2017
mctowel01:

Which kind mumu sense do you have? Is tithing now a financial investment? See the way you analyzed the whole thing. I guarantee that one doesn't need to spend a dime as tithe to receive all those favors you quoted there. Many billionaires dont pay tithe...When will you emancipate your brain, when?

I am not in the business of trying to make sense. Like I said, it is simply a question of Faith and not common sense..........

But, if you have any iota of sense at all, you would have at least noticed certain things I taught in my post.

One is financial discipline, its not enough to just tithe but plan your givings as well. Be Conscious of what you give as well as what you have received. If truly giving is rewarded as taught in scripture, then it should manifest in your financial balance for the season in which you have given.

A practising Christian can easily use this to expose if something is wrong somewhere in his/her life. Because you can even be giving and not receiving as usual because there are areas of your life that must be addressed for you to be in right standing with God.

Secondly Faith Based Relationship. Learn how to give to God first, the bible says " without faith, it is impossible to please God". A difficult moment such as giving in the midst of insufficiency is an ultimate test/trial of your own faith as well as God's power or reality.

When you give to a wealthy establishment you can become poor but when you give to God he rewards your faith with his blessings (note I didn't say blessing but "blessings" because they are different ways God can bless a man and not all are achievable by just giving). The bibles says "The blessings of the Lord maketh rich and added no sorrow".

One reason, in my own opinion, you will never see where God thanked a man in scripture because He ensures no act/action genuinely done in faith goes Un rewarded.

Thirdly Honour. I made mention of learning to adopt either as offering or tithe, clean or minty notes to offer as part of one's givings. Does this not denote honour?

Come to think of it! If you are walking on the road and a beggar approaches you for help and you wish to help, you will simply search yourself for whatever change you have that will not impact your budget for the day and give to such a person.

You walk into Church and they ask for offerings to be presented, some people in the same Fashion will search themselves for whatever change to present in a manner that will not impact their budget for the day.

Sincere Question; what differentiates the beggar on the street from God for whom you seek to place an offering? When Malachi admonished the Israelites concerning the tithe and offerings in the book of Malachi, it wasn't because there weren't paying the tithe/offerings, it was the manner with which it was offered. As a religious exercise that was beneficial only to the priest and as such, sick and half dead animals were fit for offerings in their eyes. Hence promoting the question from God as revealed by Prophet Malachi "If I be a Father, Where is mine Honour, If I be a Master, where is my Fear?"

Honour is placing givings to God as part of our budget First, as opposed to spending on your needs first and then look at the leftovers to determine which can you present without impacting you budget.

In any case, "he that is faithful in little, is faithful in much". You as a student are having difficulties tithing where the only responsibility you have is your books, what makes you think you will tithe when you graduate, have a job and then work, family, friends plus books becomes part of your responsibilities (notice I said books because if you get a job at some point in time, you will under pressure to upgrade your academic qualifications).

As for those you believe don't tithe and are billionaires, check their lives closely. It is impossible to be rich and transfer such wealth from one generation to another without 2 basic things.

One Sowing and reaping
Two Giving.

Sowing and reaping connotes consistent investment of your time and resources towards a course, wisdom or acquiring knowledge. John maxwell, bill gates etc are all proof of that fact. You have to consistently devote yourself to such for acquiring long period of time before it can translate to wealth that can be used profitably.

And that why western countries seem to progress because they dedicate much of their educational assets towards research for developmental purposes.

As long as the earth remains, seed time and harvest shall not cease.

Giving don't have to be cash, it could be time, effort, volunteer work in service of Mankind or humanity at any level but it is not possible to be rich in the absence of these 2 things.

This is a road all who must hold wealth must travel and even at that it limit one to certain blessing attainable in life. There more that available even in God, if you see it by faith.

It's just a matter of Discovery and Revelation. ..........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Kaysalas(m): 1:17pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

Is it EARNED money or DASHED money. If I understand ALLOWANCE to be money wey dem dash u, a beg, spend am as you like. Tithe is on EARNED income.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by christemmbassey(m): 1:21pm On Mar 05, 2017
ozimec:

Look att what the bible says concerning tithes in Malachi 3v9-10 ; ' 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

This scripture will make God a scammer cos I have seen,many tithe payers that remain poor after paying tithe for years. This scripture was to judaizers not to christians. There is no single verse in the whole bible that commands christianns to pay tithe. Tithes collection is the bigest fraud in humanity.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by kelspleen10(m): 1:22pm On Mar 05, 2017
Visit WWW.jw.org website. U have enof info der to guide u
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by jolaeri(m): 1:29pm On Mar 05, 2017
"The canal or natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit, neither can he know them because the are spiritually discerned" man has refined the Word of God to suit their own comfort. Pls do as the Lord has commanded. It's working!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by christemmbassey(m): 1:41pm On Mar 05, 2017
jolaeri:
"The canal or natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit, neither can he know them because the are spiritually discerned" man has refined the Word of God to suit their own comfort. Pls do as the Lord has commanded. It's working!!!
tithe payment/collection belong to the canal dispensation of old testament.. no matter how you try you can not turn copper to gold. the benefit of the old testsment was the physical land of Israel but the benefit of th e new testament is eternal life, and tithe can not get you anything from this package eternal life.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by edwife(f): 1:54pm On Mar 05, 2017
victorazy:

Plz do, is for ur own good not God, he doesn't need ur money. (Malachi 3:10) if u don't believe in tithing then u don't believe in God, that all.

If God doesn't need his money then who needs it?

What is tithe?

It's so painful to read statement like this from literates.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by bbmate: 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2017
phkka1:
Tithe is 1/10 of personal income. Student who is dependent has no income. You can give offerings. Tithe comes immediately you start earning income.
who tells u DT student has no income? If God refused to let come for he /her pocket money? I'm am a living testimony
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by busomma: 1:56pm On Mar 05, 2017
So people still pay tithe? Wake up u intellectually lazy illiterate student. All these pastors scared u into handing 10% of ur income from whatever source so they can live in opulence & u fall for it? Read ur bible very well my dear so u can free urself from religious slavery.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by emusbyz(m): 1:57pm On Mar 05, 2017
Tithing is a choice. If you have truly caught the revelation in tithing, you wont ask this kind of question. You will tithe from the illumination of scriptures lighted up in you. However, if you do not have this revelation, I'd advice you not to tithe so as not to waste your money as free donation to that church or ministry. Tithing is a spiritual covenant with God for financial abundance even in hard times like this.
If you want to know more, whatsapp me on 08166090940.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Lucasinho(m): 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

Genesis 14:20;
And blessed be the most high God, which hath
delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of ALL.

All includes..gifts, salaries, anything u obtain...etc

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by adeadeyera(m): 1:58pm On Mar 05, 2017
wirinet:

Tell that to Nigerian Pentecostal pastors whose only message and path to salvation is tithes, offerings, and givings.

Then how do you explain so many people who have abundance of riches and other material things without having paid a dime of tithes in their life, and then you have millions of tithe paying Christians living in abject poverty.

can you please list the privileges tithers enjoy that is not enjoyed by non-tithers. At least you can tell us what you are enjoying that others non tithers like me do not enjoy.
Again, if you pay, heaven opens up for you. If you don't, it closes. That simple.

The bulk rests absolutely with you.

This response seeks to achieve nothing other than to enlighten.
Despite the obvious sarcasms in your statement, I'll dignify you with an explanation. Howbeit, one more time.

No Nigerian Pentecostal Pastor (that I know of) will tell you Tithing is compulsory, except a false preacher.
Even though Tithing is commanded, The Almighty God has given us the prerogative, as men, to either obey or not. You have a choice. The same way you can choose to either eat or not.

Those who are rich "without paying one dime of Tithe". Well, prosperity isn't riches, if I must let you. God's promise to Tithers is that "He will rebuke devourers for their sake and open up the windows of heaven for them". Simply put, you can't know their source because God alone brings the supply before the need arises. And that, SUPERNATURALLY.

Young man or woman (apologies), the benefits of Tithing are enormous. Time will fail me to start to list.

For all these, if you'd please, ask God for insights and He'll reveal to you what you don't know. He loves to.

Cheers!
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by omojeesu(m): 2:00pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

A christian is not supposed to be paying tithe. Jews under the old covenant were.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by edwife(f): 2:01pm On Mar 05, 2017
If only Christians were this obedient to all the commandments, many things in this world wouldn't be so wrong.The emphasis on tithe is because many of these christians are greedy, they give because they expect something in return; financial blessings.But the 10 commandments God instructed are broken everyday because nothing is exchanged.

Shame on you,what most of you forgot is that God sees your hearts and knows your intentions.Continue deceiving yourself with tithe thinking you can bribe God.

You forgot that there is offerings too in the bible and gifts.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by edwife(f): 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

Genesis 14:20;
And blessed be the most high God, which hath
delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of ALL.

All includes..gifts, salaries, anything u obtain...etc

Why do you people only quote what benefit you? What is this? Jesus!

Do you even understand that verse? Read the whole chapter and don't quote verse out of context,it's sad how this generation interpret the Bible. Really?

And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
15 And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
16 And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale.
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

22 And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by enshy: 2:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

If you are indeed a born again xtian, dead to the world and its affections, whose hope/treasure is in Heaven, ull know what to do?
I John says 'you have the annointing by the Holy Ghost and it teacheth you all things'
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by dailyblog(m): 2:12pm On Mar 05, 2017
The problem we Christians are facing to dar is lack of understanding we don't understand the bible Tithe is not the only law in the old

testament why is is that nowadays pastors can not preach without making reference to tithe it is because they are after money

,The method of giving in the new testament is according to the blessings of God and not by tithe Apostle Paul did not pay tithe none of the apostle pay tithe why are we deceiving our self please study your bible

Why did the Israelite pay tithe in the old testament it is because God has chosen the tribe of Levi to do the work of priest they have no inheritance in the land of Israel their only means of survival is from the tithe today Christ has made us priest and kings who are we paying tithe to a priest paying tithe to a priest ?

Three is no place in the bible where a priest pay tithe there is no place in the bible where money is being use to pay tithe giving in the new testament is according to the way God Bess one.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by edwife(f): 2:21pm On Mar 05, 2017
Okies27:
. Tithing is a personal obligation between you and God irrespective of the numerous sermons about it. If you are confused, ask the Holy Spirit and he will guide you what to do about it. Many will misguide you here.

This is not about personal obligation or whatever, simple question; What is tithe?
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by edwife(f): 2:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
firstking01:
The atheist and agnostics will decieve you here...yes, you must pay your tithe...if you are a christian tithe is a must, no matter who you are and what you do for a living.

Really? What is tithe and what is the principle behind it? Make it simple.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by samuelezekiel(m): 2:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
You are supposed to give tithe from the profit you made, so what business did you do and what's the profit?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Reports Noisy Church To LASEPA. Forces Them To Change Venue Of Vigil / David Oyedepo Celebrates 34th Wedding Anniversary With Wife, Faith / Faith Oyedepo Celebrates Her 61st Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.