Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? (19364 Views)

Should I Pay Tithe From My 20k Stimulus I Got From Government? / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? / Motorist Uses "I Tithe" As Car Number Plate (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Isamak(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:
Please, i need a Godly, Moral advice on this.

I'm still a student and i am willing to give to God but my allowance is very small.
After removing money for handouts, textbooks and assignments, the left over is little that it might not last 5 days. Should i still go ahead and give the tithe?

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations making offerings to the Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

After the death of Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, the New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2Corinthians 9:7)

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by thaprofit88: 7:41pm On Mar 05, 2017
I hope this helps you.
As a Christian, Tithing is not only biblical it is also a commandment from God. Malachi 3:10-12.
Now u ve bn doing it d wrong way by giving what is remaining. From any income u receive whether it is earned or a gift, d tithe is 10% and should be removed first before u undertake any other expenses. Dont imagine how u will survive just trust God n his word.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by stamapro(m): 7:50pm On Mar 05, 2017
wrong question on a wrong thread,to wrong pple...equals more confusion. Go ask ur Pst bro!

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by ebukason3(m): 8:08pm On Mar 05, 2017
Det 14:22 said 'set aside a tithe - a tenth of your fields produce each year'. if you are a student and earning from any field of your endeavor then you can pay your tithe; but if you are not earning whatever you give is an offering not a tithe. Tithe is for the House of GOD (see Mal 3:10-12) or the fatherless, widows (see Det 14:28-29). By giving we acknowledge God, its all about giving back to God and the society. As a student you may not have a lot of cash, but you have some knowledge, skills, etc that you use to help those you are better than, or you can use in the place of worship. Mat 23:23 and Luke 11:42 emphasize more on justice and love of God. Many fear God without loving HIM. Some give tithe just because to receive. Even though some priests/pastors are corrupt we give so that there will plenty in the house of the Lord. (Hope i answer your question, i stand to be corrected if there is any mistake)
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Austin234(m): 8:35pm On Mar 05, 2017
The truth of the matter is that when it comes to such dilemma, many will convert their Tithe into offering because of the meager amount left. I think in this case, it is rather good u listen to the Holy Spirit
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

I'm still a student and i am willing to give to God but my allowance is very small.
After removing money for handouts, textbooks and assignments, the left over is little that it might not last 5 days. Should i still go ahead and give the tithe?

How about you try God...take a step of faith...give a small portion and since God knows your heart...watch and see what He will do!
The Bible commands us to give a firstfruit from your increase. Of course most people tithe only from their work income....and give a small offering. But what about a case like yours which isn't earned income? Well it still is an "increase" even if you didn't earn it.
The times (cause sometimes I got selfish undecided), I decided to give of an increase (which was gift money or some money that wasn't my work income), God honored that.
Try Him...and see what blessings you will receive.
And many times, the blessings aren't financial!
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by NarnieSnyper(m): 9:00pm On Mar 05, 2017
bjbukzy:
From a common sense point of view, the answer is "NO".
Ur pocket money is nt earned but transfered to you by ur parent/family who worked n earned d money. D Earner must ve deducted d 10% tithe b4 given u ur share(n if he hasnt, dt is btw im n his creator).

If u pay tithe, then pay ur tax also.

Bless ur soul, brah. This is the only post that has made sense so far.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by cavendishbaba(m): 9:16pm On Mar 05, 2017
Have u asked yourself where d tithe is going to
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by oseiwe(m): 9:30pm On Mar 05, 2017
Bryan12:
Am a student too and I pay my tithe.I know a lot of students that do that too.
P.S. Don't come to NL with such issues. We have a lot of them atheist here.
You dont farm, you dont trade, you dont produce, please, where do you get your earnings?

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by DonCortino: 9:55pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

What is tithe in d first place?
10% of what ever u EARN! (earnings)

What are earnings?
Profits, returns from business, wages, money earned from work or labour, income.

Now did u work for the allowance u are planing to tithe with? Is the allowance as a result of a work u did?

Any pastor (thief) that tells u to give 10% of whatever money u get, be it cash gifts or allowance (like in ur own case) is a thief and not from God!

Op use the sence God gave you!
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by MTHBOSS(m): 10:05pm On Mar 05, 2017
After removing money for handout & co, 10% of the remaining won't be too bad to give to give for the course of God, He knows how He will sustain you. I tried it and it works like magic. The Lord is good.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Bryan12(m): 10:36pm On Mar 05, 2017
oseiwe:

You dont farm, you dont trade, you dont produce, please, where do you get your earnings?
Am self employed.man
Am into hardware/software maintenance.
I would still pay my tithes even if I was solely dependent on my parents
I don't expect you to understand.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Bryan12(m): 10:54pm On Mar 05, 2017
oseiwe:

Am into hardware/software maintenance,man.
Don't have to justify myself to you.And even if I was solely dependent on my parents I'd still pay my tithes.I don't don't expect you to understand.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by buchibrand(m): 10:59pm On Mar 05, 2017
1. NO (don't pay)
2. YES (pay)

Tithing is a command, but you have the choice to either obey or disobey.
You can still pay your tithe with all you have left and go hungry for the rest of the month/semester. You can still pay your tithe and get sacked from work. If you must pay your tithe let it be from your heart(not head) and as a sign of obedience to God, which has a great reward and not just because someone cajole you into doing it.

If you say tithe is an old testament law, please refer me to a scripture in the new testament that abolished tithing, and why do we refer to and claim the bessings, protection ...Deut 28, Exd. 14:13-14, Psalms... (old testament) and when it gets to tithe we skip it. Lol!

Tithe is not only preached in Nigeria, all bible believing churches all over the world preaches and encourages (not by force) christians to pay tithe.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 05, 2017
jaymejate:

Christians are not under the law of tithing. In Christianity, there is nothing like giving compulsorily. God loves a cheerful giver. Give what you can give. Whether it is a tithe(10%) or 5% or 2% God will still receive it if you give willingly and cheerfully.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 05, 2017
buchibrand:
1. NO (don't pay)
2. YES (pay)

You can still pay your tithe with all you have left and go hungry for the rest of the month/semester. You can still pay your tithe and get sacked from work. If you must pay your tithe let it be from your heart(not head) and as a sign of obedience to God, which has a great reward and not just because someone cajole you into doing it.

If you say tithe is an old testament law, please refer me to a scripture in the new testament that abolished tithing, and why do we refer to and claim the bessings, protection ...Deut 28, Exd. 14:13-14, Psalms... (old testament) and when it gets to tithe we skip it. Lol!

Tithe is not only preached in Nigeria, all bible believing churches all over the world preaches and encourages (not by force) christians to pay tithe.

Where is tithing a command ?? From the law abi ..
Are Christians under the Mosaic law ??
The fact that alot of people teaches it does not mean its right.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 05, 2017
ebukason3:
Det 14:22 said 'set aside a tithe - a tenth of your fields produce each year'. if you are a student and earning from any field of your endeavor then you can pay your tithe; but if you are not earning whatever you give is an offering not a tithe. Tithe is for the House of GOD (see Mal 3:10-12) or the fatherless, widows (see Det 14:28-29). By giving we acknowledge God, its all about giving back to God and the society. As a student you may not have a lot of cash, but you have some knowledge, skills, etc that you use to help those you are better than, or you can use in the place of worship. Mat 23:23 and Luke 11:42 emphasize more on justice and love of God. Many fear God without loving HIM. Some give tithe just because to receive. Even though some priests/pastors are corrupt we give so that there will plenty in the house of the Lord. (Hope i answer your question, i stand to be corrected if there is any mistake)

Giving to support the church is very good. But it is not necessarily a tithe(10%). It could be more than a tithe or less than a tithe. God will accept it since you gave willingly.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Mar 05, 2017
Isamak:

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations making offerings to the Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

After the death of Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, the New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2Corinthians 9:7)

God bless you. You have said everything
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Djester: 11:37pm On Mar 05, 2017
yes it is important but not compulsory because if you do not learn how to do it now when it is still small when do you want to practice it? or when it is huge that when you want to learn how to pay your titles.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by abah4real: 6:42am On Mar 06, 2017
phkka1:
Tithe is 1/10 of personal income. Student who is dependent has no income. You can give offerings. Tithe comes immediately you start earning income.
True it's 1/10th of your personal income & a dependent student has no income. Dont get it twisted
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 06, 2017
Keep paying tithes to those thieves while you suffer in silence hoping that God will somehow bless your dedication to these pastor frauds.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by awoluyi(m): 7:15am On Mar 06, 2017
Malachi 3:10 reads "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple......."(NLT Bible) The tithes are primarily made of farm produces for the poor and have not. Unfortunately tithes of food have turned to tithes of money. I keep wondering if a person with no means of income can in all sense qualify to be a tither. It's like a man living on charity embarking on charitable deeds.I personally will advise that every individual should act as per his/her conscience in this matter.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by The0d0ra(f): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
putting 10% won't kill you...i say u build up treasures for ursef in heaven
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by david22uu(m): 7:47am On Mar 06, 2017
pauljumbo:

Tithing is a principle

Even if you do good to armed robbers

God will still bless

The focus is God not pastors

I hear u, oga if u wann a give tith abeg visit the motherless babies, less priviledge, the disabled ...... than give dis pastors.. offering do them
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by buchibrand(m): 6:27pm On Mar 06, 2017
Junia:

Where is tithing a command ?? From the law abi .. Are Christians under the Mosaic law ?? The fact that alot of people teaches it does not mean its right.
Mosaic what So you mean the prophets revelation in Malachi 3:8-10 is a mosaic law
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 06, 2017
buchibrand:

Mosaic what
So you mean the prophets revelation in Malachi 3:8-10 is a mosaic law
Prophets revelation ??
Don't you know it was directed to Israel ??
That was the covenant God had with the Israelites and they were to obey it before they would be blessed.
Israel waa governed by the Mosaic Law.
So God was addressing the Israelites through the Prophet.
Read the whole book of Malachi and you will understand it.
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by royalty18: 12:09pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tithe is not a question of amount it's a matter of honour! You see as a believer, one thing you must avoid is taking scriptures out of its context. Those referring to Malachi 3:10. what happened pre and post that verse? As far as I am concerned, tithe existed before the law? Did you read your Bible at all? Levi was recorded to have paid tithes in Abraham! Apostle Paul also referred to it in the Hebrews
See, settle it in your mind once and for all, you are not paying to man, you are honouring God that has blessed you with life in the first place that you can get an income! 10% should not be burdensome to you!

Back to OP, you don't pay tithe out of leftover, tithe is the first you are to remove!

Generally, as a student, you don't have a basic earned income but you have ways through which money comes through to you. If you choose not to pay tithe on the monies you get, it is not a sin! But I will personally admonish you to tithe.. By the time you start working, it will not be difficult for you to tithe because you are used to it!
Re: Is It Compulsory For Me To Pay Tithe As A Student From My Small Allowance? by royalty18: 12:22pm On Apr 28, 2017
buchibrand:
1. NO (don't pay)
2. YES (pay)

God bless you! Those saying tithe is the mosaic law, have cited Psalm 23 this morning o! I just laugh in German! We call them "favourite scriptures" believers! They pick the ones that suits them and forsake others!
After all, tithe is not first a mosaic law, no Levi paid tithes in Abraham in Genesis! Paul corroborated same in Hebrews.
Anyway, like my pastor often says, everybody pays tithes, it is who you pay to that you will choose! Some pay theirs to the doctors, some to the police etc. I pay mine to God because I honour him that had given me life to even earn income and as an obedient daughter, to fulfil my divine obligations.

Those shouting no tithe, tithe is not biblical, ask them if they will attend a church with no chairs, AC, fine speakers etc. For where? Na them you go see for AC fitted halls!! You don't want to pay tithe but you park your laptop, phones to church to go charge Who pays the NEPA bills? See, whether you pay or not, the Head and Owner of the Church is eternally committed to His work!
Selah!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Premarital Sex: What Is Your View As A Christian? / Can Drinking Alcohol Stop A Genuine Born Again; From Making It To Heaven? / Bankole Solomon Apologises To Adeboye Over Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.