Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,776 members, 7,831,495 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Important Question For Atheists/apostates - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Important Question For Atheists/apostates (853 Views)

Jws, Beware Of Apostates / What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / Question For Atheists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 10:11pm On Mar 06, 2017
Without mincing words, Nigeria is without a doubt one of the most religious countries in the world. The dominant religions being Christianity and Islam. Our daily living and societal engagements are hugely influenced by these two major religions.

It becomes a major backlash not to conform to the norm, not to belong, either as a Christian or a Muslim.

Hence my question.
Would you raise your children as Atheists?

cc Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by jayrock(m): 10:38pm On Mar 06, 2017
Putting them in the right frame of mind and allowing them to choose their path is what I will do.

1 Like

Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 10:45pm On Mar 06, 2017
jayrock:
Putting them in the right frame of mind and allowing them to choose their path is what I will do.

How do you propose to achieve that, when they're taught to be religious from basic school level?
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by Richirich713: 10:56pm On Mar 06, 2017
Raise children according to what u believe to be true. When they old enough to think for themselves, they can do so.

1 Like

Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by akintom(m): 11:03pm On Mar 06, 2017
Atheists don't emerge, after the fashion of raising a child in a Christian/Islam/traditional homes (indoctrination).

Atheists are not raised, they don't emerge by conversion or indoctrination. This is so, because atheists don't have rituals, books or dogma.

Atheistic disposition is a conclusion state.

When a child is trained in such a way that he can-

*intelligently analyse the concept of human beliefs system,

*make inference from the realistic test of religious claims,

Whatever conclusion such child is able to reach, is the responsibility of the child.

3 Likes

Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 07, 2017
akintom:
Atheists don't emerge, after the fashion of raising a child in a Christian home (indoctrination).

Atheists are not raised, they don't emerge by conversion or indoctrination. This is so, because atheists don't have rituals, books or dogma.

Whatever conclusion such child is able to reach, is the responsibility of the child.

Sir,
Does that include Islam or Indigenous religions? Or is this just targeted at Christianity...since you only mentioned it? Isn't the breakdown the following:
50/40/10= Islam/Christianity/Indigenous?
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by akintom(m): 6:53am On Mar 07, 2017
MZLady39:

Sir,
Does that include Islam or Indigenous religions? Or is this just targeted at Christianity...since you only mentioned it? Isn't the breakdown the following:
50/40/10= Islam/Christianity/Indigenous?
Lady,
All.
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by LivEviL(m): 9:30am On Mar 07, 2017
teach em the importance of norms nd expected behavioral patterns, without championing the cause of Ifa priests or the trio blight of Abrahamic religious communities... let em be unbiased while developing concrete individual views about life, and its add-ons...... so that, they may decide (whenever they like) to either follow a deity or ignore religions' fanatical wankers...

#IRespectEveryoneExceptFanatics
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 6:38am On Mar 09, 2017
akintom:
Atheists don't emerge, after the fashion of raising a child in a Christian/Islam/traditional homes (indoctrination).

Guess the more important question is, is it OK to raise children to be religious nonconformists? Exposing them to the risk of peer pressure and even possible hostility from society.

Is it not wiser to raise them as Christians/Muslims?
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by akintom(m): 8:41am On Mar 09, 2017
pressplay411:

Guess the more important question is, is it OK to raise children to be religious nonconformists? Exposing them to the risk of peer pressure and even possible hostility from society.

Is it not wiser to raise them as Christians/Muslims?
You can as well ask me, if it's ok to raise my daughter, with the mentality of justice, equity and fairness, in a chronically chauvinistic and misogynistic society.
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by niyihawking(m): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2017
akintom:

You can as well ask me, if it's ok to raise my daughter, with the mentality of justice, equity and fairness, in a chronically chauvinistic and misogynistic society.
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by niyihawking(m): 8:53am On Mar 09, 2017
akintom:

wow
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by AgentOfAllah: 9:26am On Mar 09, 2017
pressplay411:
Without mincing words, Nigeria is without a doubt one of the most religious countries in the world. The dominant religions being Christianity and Islam. Our daily living and societal engagements are hugely influenced by these two major religions.

It becomes a major backlash not to conform to the norm, not to belong, either as a Christian or a Muslim.

Hence my question.
Would you raise your children as Atheists?

The answer to this question depends as much on their mum, formal education and community, as it does on me. Seeing as I'll play just a fractional role in the information they'll be receiving from their environment, I'd be pretending if I told you I know what I'd raise them as.

However, I sure as hell know that the information they'll get from me would always engage their critical minds. What they are raised as would eventually come down to the combined outcome of mine and all the other influences in their lives. There's really no way of telling what that would be though...Nor do I presently harbour any expectations for how they would turn out.

I'm cautious about expectations because as a case in point: My parents saw in me, a good, god fearing Muslim, but look what a terrible disappointment I've turned out to be today.

2 Likes

Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 10:40am On Mar 09, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

The answer to this question depends as much on their mum, formal education and community, as it does on me. Seeing as I'll play just a fractional role in the information they'll be receiving from their environment, I'd be pretending if I told you I know what I'd raise them as.

However, I sure as hell know that the information they'll get from me would always engage their critical minds. What they are raised as would eventually come down to the combined outcome of mine and all the other influences in their lives. There's really no way of telling what that would be though...Nor do I presently harbour any expectations for how they would turn out.

I'm cautious about expectations because as a case in point: My parents saw in me, a good, god fearing Muslim, but look what a terrible disappointment I've turned out to be today.

Your last paragraph is ridiculously hilarious! grin

But honestly our thoughts are in sync on this issue.
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by LePrezident(m): 11:11am On Mar 09, 2017
pressplay411:

Your last paragraph is ridiculously hilarious! grin

But honestly our thoughts are in sync on this issue.

I see, you finally became an atheist
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by gabe: 11:29am On Mar 09, 2017
Show me an armed robber, prostitute, kidnapper,boko haram member,419 or human killing ritualist that was raised as an atheist. Then we can talk...
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 12:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
LePrezident:

I see, you finally became an atheist
potayto, potahto. more apostate tho. grin
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by LePrezident(m): 3:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
pressplay411:

Lol na so
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by hopefulLandlord: 8:09am On Apr 11, 2017
pressplay411:

kindly share your story bro
Re: Important Question For Atheists/apostates by pressplay411(m): 10:10am On Apr 04, 2019
hopefulLandlord:

kindly share your story bro

Do go through my most recent thread.
Good morning.

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Micah Stampley Thrills At COZA Dubai / The Truth About What Mummy G.O Said About Aso-ebi / Why Are Most Threads Opened Nowadays By Christians About Atheists?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.