Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,863 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (68350 Views)

My Toyota Corolla 2007 Model (bank Type) Vibrates At Between 110 - 120km/h / Man Caught 'Driving Without A Steering Wheel' / Car Vibrates At Above 100 Km/ph (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 12:45pm On Dec 16, 2009
Tyres are in excellent condition.

Wheel balancing and alignment done.

High Speed test to be carried out ASAP.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2009
Jarus:

Wow, this is the exact problem my Honda Civic 2004 has. It's been doing that for more than 6 months now.
More than three different auto-technicians(Mechanics) have looked at it, yet no solution. We did wheel balancing,alignment shaft, shock absorber, changed all the four rims, changed break pads, tyrods etc, it only reduced slightly, the problem is still there. All of these were prescribed by different Mechanics, and different sums paid, already spent almost 100k on fixing this, but no significant improvement. I have resorted to using it like that. The condition has not prevented or affected it being driven from Kwara to Lagos twice recently.

goddamn mechanics
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by skyranger: 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
the fault is with tires!
check your tires and you'll noticed one or more of them has a bump or lump.
no matter how small these bumps or lumps (mostly develop from second hand or poorly aligned tires) are, frm 90km dey make the chasis vibrate which u can only feel on the steering
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
@skyranger. For the upteenth time, MY TIRES WERE BOUGHT BRAND NEW IN APRIL!!!
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Jarus(m): 1:02pm On Dec 16, 2009
After trying a number of Mechanics, did everything recommended, including changing all tyres, I have given up on that problem, especially as it has not prevented me from driving it anywhere, including from Lagos to Kwara
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by rasputinn(m): 1:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
It's not wheel balance,his brake discs are fuccked up
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by rasputinn(m): 1:56pm On Dec 16, 2009
@ Pannyman,

Ask your mechanic to check the brake disc
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by chelseabmw(m): 2:13pm On Dec 16, 2009
All asnwers are right.same thing with my camry
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by AloyEmeka9: 2:32pm On Dec 16, 2009
Alignment, wheeel balancing, tire rotation and it could be bad tires too. Your tires may look good in the eye but they are not smooth and will be making noise in high speed as well as shaking your steering.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by tsmith(f): 3:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
Wheel alignment and Wheel Balancing are two totally different things, but many people often get them confused. In a nutshell, wheel alignment consists of adjusting the angles of the wheels so that they are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other. The purpose of these adjustments is maximum tire life and a vehicle that tracks straight and true when driving along a straight and level road. Wheel Balancing, on the other hand allows the tires and wheels to spin without causing any vibrations. This is accomplished by checking for any heavy spots on the wheel-tire combination and compensating for it by placing a measured lead weight on the opposite site of the wheel from where the heavy spot is.

The symptoms of a car that is out of alignment are:

Uneven or rapid tire wear
Pulling or drifting away from a straight line
Wandering on a straight level road
Spokes of the steering wheel off to one side while driving on a straight and level road.
The symptoms of a wheel that is out of balance are:

Vibration in the steering wheel at certain highway speeds.
Vibration in the seat or floorboard at certain highway speeds.
Scalloped or cupped wear pattern on the tires

ref:

http://www.familycar.com/carcare/AlignmentBalance.htm
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
if the steering wheel keeps vibrating u shud b happy, now u dont need to buy a love machine
all u need 2 do is drive at 100km/h, UnCloth and put your vagina on the steering wheel, and enjoy yourself  shocked shocked

im joking ohhhh
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 16, 2009
im sorry for that, i went 2 the bathroom and my friend typed that, sorry 4 the inconveniences, if there are any at all
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by ayusman16(m): 3:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
Maybe somebody can assist me here. The steering of my camry is kinda stiff. I have changed the auto fluid and have a mechanic check but he says nothing is wrong with it.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by MUZBO(m): 3:46pm On Dec 16, 2009
If your steering is smoother at higher speeds then definitely one or both your front tires aint smooth enough so have that checked. Mine comes up at between 80 and 90km/h and I'm planning to change one of the front tires.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by MUZBO(m): 3:51pm On Dec 16, 2009
ayusman16:

Maybe somebody can assist me here. The steering of my camry is kinda stiff. I have changed the auto fluid and have a mechanic check but he says nothing is wrong with it.
Either your shaft is wearing out or more likely the power steering pump is faulty.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by jacobs123(m): 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2009
Change your brake discs. i had same issue with Honda and resolved it.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by agathamari(f): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2009
check the berring assemby and joints

had this very problem with a pontiac some years back. it ended up being a bad assembly, made the tire wiggle side to side at high speeds (usualy when i was going above 70 mph)
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Amjustme: 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2009
Your wheel alignment or your tyres.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by redsun(m): 6:18pm On Dec 16, 2009
What the hell are you thinking doing 100km/per hour?Are you in  a formula one race track or german autobahn?The mos apparent reasons why nigerians die in road accidents are excessive speed on death trap roads and the effects of the scorching sun that melts tyres on high speed.And tyres sold in most cases in nigeria are retread and low quality that under normal circumstances should be for the dumps.

People need to use their common sense and understand that when cars are not properly use,they could become killing machines.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by biina: 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2009
You can also check that you dont have a bent wheel
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by redsun(m): 6:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
biina:

You can also check that you dont have a bent wheel

Of course pot holes are inevitably going to give him bent wheels.Cars are fragile,made to be driven reasonably on good roads with reasonable traffic regulations.

Driving in nigeria is like driving in a jungle and people expect cars to be in good shape.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
tsmith:

Wheel alignment and Wheel Balancing are two totally different things, but many people often get them confused. In a nutshell, wheel alignment consists of adjusting the angles of the wheels so that they are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other. The purpose of these adjustments is maximum tire life and a vehicle that tracks straight and true when driving along a straight and level road. Wheel Balancing, on the other hand allows the tires and wheels to spin without causing any vibrations. This is accomplished by checking for any heavy spots on the wheel-tire combination and compensating for it by placing a measured lead weight on the opposite site of the wheel from where the heavy spot is.

The symptoms of a car that is out of alignment are:

Uneven or rapid tire wear
Pulling or drifting away from a straight line
Wandering on a straight level road

Spokes of the steering wheel off to one side while driving on a straight and level road.
The symptoms of a wheel that is out of balance are:

Vibration in the steering wheel at certain highway speeds.
Vibration in the seat or floorboard at certain highway speeds.
Scalloped or cupped wear pattern on the tires

ref:

http://www.familycar.com/carcare/AlignmentBalance.htm

Thanks for the diagnosis!
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by connkg(m): 7:03pm On Dec 16, 2009
Hello,

I've read most of the responses. I think redsun covers much of what I have to say. I used a Mazda for some time, noticed same fault at 100km/hr. Had wheel balancing done and changed tyres, but nothing worked.
Until a mechanic checked the wheel rim - and my elder brother confessed to a high-speed bump some months before.

Jarus & pannyman; - I advise you have both the driver wheel rim and the front passenger front wheel rim inspected. Even when balanced (horizontally), on moderate-to-high speeds, a little dent on the rim WILL vibrate the steering.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by paulmamud(m): 7:15pm On Dec 16, 2009
what kind of rims do you have installed?had a real costly learning experience with my accord 05.i installed 17 inch chrome rims and bought 225 GT tyres to go with the rims. Brother,i spent over 15k going from one alignment and balancing shop to another.Infact,they used to hail me by name!From Michelin shops at Area 11 to the one at Eagle square to the infinity shop at wuse 2 to the one at iluobe filing station. I was even advised to try a roadside guy who kept caressing the tyres and then rolling them by hand. Finally,some guy told me that the GT tyres where "Heavy" and the rims were "heavy" too so they couldnt work together and advised me to get a light tyre like Michelin,Good year,Pirelli or Dunlop. Out of desperation,i bought 4 Michelin tyres at 45k each and another 3k for balancing and alignment. Then i entered into God's rest! An igbo guy bought the GT tyres for 5k each when i bought them at 22k each.Moral of the story?Maybe your tyres are the cheap,heavy sort.That could be why they gave up after a few months and punctures.If you are feeling as desperate as i was before i got the Michelin tyres,i totally know what you feel
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by pannyman(m): 7:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
@redsun, 100 km/hr is no big deal. My personal speed limit is 120. I know folks who do 160 on the highway regularly, so thats out of the way.

Did the wheel balancing and alignment today and tested the car at 100km/hr on a straight road this evening near where I live and the vibration was gone. The only problem now is that the steering wheel has to be turned and kept a bit slightly to the right for the car to remain in a straight line. The part of town where the job is a crowded part of Port Hrcourt (Diobu) which did not make it possible for a thorough test to be carried out this morning. I will have to take it back for this to be fixed. Thanks guys for your contributions. smiley
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by Viciyke(m): 7:30pm On Dec 16, 2009
Do wheel balancing and alignment, all will be well.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by oadaji: 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2009
@ mikkyphp the poster didn't ask you what you drive so don't start.
Poster, did you change the wheels that came with the car? that maybe the problem as alloy wheels in Nigeria are low quality.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by luvinhubby(m): 9:36pm On Dec 16, 2009
1st, check your TIE-ROD END and TIE-ROD ENDS. 2nd, check your front STABILIZER LINKS and it`s BUSHINGS. 3rd have a mechanic check on all your ENGINE MOUNTINGS, if an engine mounting cuts, the car can vibrate as engine function increases and do your alignments, it will surely stop.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by H2O2: 9:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
When I had my car, mine did too when I travel at the speed of light.

Don't drive so fast. Check your wheel alignment, etc etc.
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by calabaman(m): 10:28pm On Dec 16, 2009
@poster, No need for long delibration, Go to a good filling station lyk mobil in awolowo rd in Lagos and get wheel alignment & wheel balancing done, if the prob still persists then u need to change ur tyres, Dont go near ur shaft I REPEAT DONT GO NEAR YOUR SHAFT!!!
Re: My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed by aaidel(m): 2:15am On Dec 17, 2009
funny enough people always blame wheel balancing for vibrations but from my experience with carina-e and toyota avensis its probably the shock absorbers and stabilizers that are to blame my avensis was doing that a couple of weeks ago and i changed all four shocks and front stabilizers and the problem is gone and i didnt even do wheel alignment or balancing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 / The Army Jeep Innoson Motors Produced / This Tiny Car For Wheelchair Users Costs 9 Million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.