Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,461 members, 7,819,680 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? (7871 Views)

500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos / 4 Ways To Keep Your Car Safe When Travelling / Calabar Monorail Coaches Arrive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by CyberG: 10:57pm On Dec 15, 2009
Now. . .that I have your attention. . .LOL  grin grin grin

Well the day approaches when I am billed to arrive in Nigeria! My questions is: how best can I stay sane in Nigeria? I promise to avoid all the possible drama. . .but if you have been to Nigeria recently, kindly share some tips. I planned to travel extensively in Nigeria but with the spate of kidnappings in Naija today as we hear and my worries of flying a Nigerian plane. . .I am almost scrapping this idea of extensive traveling! If you were in Nigeria recently, can you give any tips? I am thinking of avoiding flashy clothes when I am outside. . .so as not to become a "target" LOL. . .but how bad that I cannot be so free in "my" native country? Well, don't ask about the ear-rings and watch. . .I think that will only wear those at home or or as close to home as possible. My phone also worries me. . .I don't want to be in trouble because of the phone but how can I not check my email and have some semblance of regular life? My temporary solution is to go with 2 phones - the main one and support one. . .LOL. So, I will keep the main one at home and take the average phone out with me! One of my friends told me of how she was dispossessed of her phone recently, it was terrible! Anyways, please give some more "stay safe" tips while in Nigeria!
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by deluxecad(m): 12:36am On Dec 16, 2009
Hey! Stop d hype, it's not dat bad unless u got vitilgo or u had a skin transplant. We cool in Lagos tho.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by H2O2: 12:44am On Dec 16, 2009
Very misleading title. Not cool.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by bubugul(f): 1:17am On Dec 16, 2009
who slept with who so many times
i was in Nigeria a month ago, and the only thing that boarded me was mosquitoes
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by 190: 1:25am On Dec 16, 2009
rite now
mosquitoes are even on xmas holidays

its soldier ants that are now on board~
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Parohfrey(f): 1:28am On Dec 16, 2009
I go home every two months - i drive a CLS 500, my wrist watch cost me $400, my phone costs me the same, i wear heavy ladden bangles and necklaces with designer shoes and clothings, mix freely with the people everywhere, not once has anything happened to me. I fly all over Nigeria when I am not driving, nothing has gone wrong, and i have been doing this for the past four years- what you wish for yourself is what happens to you. Noone sends you in Naija these days, just maintain and you'll be cool.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by OgidiBoy(m): 1:30am On Dec 16, 2009
Why is it that some ppl will travel out of Nigeria for 6 months and they now think Nigeria is this jungle where ppl don't have phones and watches. Nigerians wear the latest watches and have nicer phones than most of us were in the US. angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by H2O2: 1:31am On Dec 16, 2009
Paroh_frey:

I go home every two months - i drive a CLS 500, my wrist watch cost me $400, my phone costs me the same, i wear heavy ladden bangles and necklaces with designer shoes and clothings, mix freely with the people everywhere, not once has anything happened to me. I fly all over Nigeria when I am not driving, nothing has gone wrong, and i have been doing this for the past four years- what you wish for yourself is what happens to you. Noone sends you in Naija these days, just maintain and you'll be cool.

Dang!
All that?
You got a sister
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Pweety4me(f): 1:39am On Dec 16, 2009
@Poster y naw?mscheww anywayz just go with a positive mind and God shall be ur divine protector no worries i mean u have 2 just chill. . . cool
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by 190: 1:43am On Dec 16, 2009
bubugul:

respond to the topic oso-oso

dont worry come 4 xmas
and this tyme u gotta have soldier ants all over your PANTS~
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by kiju: 1:48am On Dec 16, 2009
She has floored her self before the guy.she don fall mugu
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 2:09am On Dec 16, 2009
threads derailers, una don come again  angry angry angry u this mama-gee, wetin dey do u self?

@post

when you are coming to Nigeria, come unclothed because if you wear clothes, it will be stolen at the airport because no one wears clothes in Nigeria and no one has ever seen a phone or a watch before.

You sound just too  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed and i don't know what to do with you. by the way, what kind of phone do you use that's giving you e.r.ection? i live in Lagos and my phone cost me $450 when i newly bought it, i have been using it for more than 1 year now and nothing has happened to it so hush!!! angry angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:04am On Dec 16, 2009
Am I the only confused one here?

From sleeping to earrings undecided
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 3:14am On Dec 16, 2009
FL Gators:

Am I the only confused one here?

From sleeping to earrings undecided

you dey mind the poster, ask him how long he's been out of Nigeria and you'd be surprised it was prolly few months ago.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by CyberG: 7:07am On Dec 16, 2009
Big Ups to you guys and ladies grin grin grin. . .didn't mean to rock the boat. . .LOL. Just drop any ideas and I will appreciate it, okay? This is also a fun thread. . .and there is a lot of romance hidden in this posting for those who can "see" it. . .HAHAHAHA! This is not some guy who traveled for 3 months as insinuated. . .I really wish to know! Thanks my online friends that I never met! wink
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 16, 2009
Princek12:

You must be a fool for using that title as a decoy to grab people's attention. Get a life. You are a bonafide mumu.
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by henryhemon(m): 10:38am On Dec 16, 2009
Why is it that some ppl will travel out of Nigeria for 6 months and they now think Nigeria is this jungle where ppl don't have phones and watches. Nigerians wear the latest watches and have nicer phones than most of us were in the US. Angry

Word!
@poster,
Ewu, Nigerians back home are far better than you,some buy thier clothings directly from Thomas pink,Aneglo Tarlazzi,can you do that?nonsense,
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by candyshore: 10:53am On Dec 16, 2009
@ 190 u ve a big mouth, u talk too much
ANYWAY POSTER CHANGE UR SUBJECT TO WAT SOOTHS D CONTENT
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by BeautfulB(f): 1:52pm On Dec 16, 2009
henryhemon:

Word!
@poster,
Ewu, Nigerians back home are far better than you,some buy thier clothings directly from Thomas pink,Aneglo Tarlazzi,can you do that?nonsense,
sweet, ur right but
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by keyremotes(m): 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
@Poster
Please tell us who is after you?
Have we that live here been kiled?

I beg if you want to come home come and stop making an issue out of a non issue.

Did you not leave from here to wherever you are living now?

I bEG JARE? angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by H2O2: 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2009
Get a pistol.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:34pm On Dec 16, 2009
***ogidiboy comes back into the thread looking for mama-gee to wound for disrespecting a grown MAN****

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Amjustme: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2009
If u r dis scared of coming home why come at all? i guess u must also have heard dat we also now live on the creeks. you will be surprised at how flashy ur country peeps are. I will first ask u where exactly u r travelling to, i guess u know Nigeria has 36 states, so it actually depends. Everywhere u find urself, Nigeria or out of it, be on ur guard and dont stay out too late, be around reasonable people and pray to Almighty GOD 4 protection.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Basildon1(m): 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2009
@ OP;I tink the best ting u can do is that you are not coming here as we hasnt seen people from abroad before

Brethren are balling their heads off in Naija, a trip to Silverbird will introduce you to some of the sickest phones ever, even when you go clubbin,you will be shy at the popping spree, u dey here dey think
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by dan6019(m): 2:16pm On Dec 17, 2009
i don't it is as bad as you think. there are quiet a lot of us resident in here more comfortable than you think you are and very safe. Y ou don't have to worry about your safety here if you don't have any skeleton in your cupboard, our God remains in the business of protecting his own, no cause for alarm.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by Carlosein(m): 2:39pm On Dec 17, 2009
if you dey fear to come back home, then don't come!

gbomogbomo will catch you. grin grin grin
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 2:44pm On Dec 17, 2009
Wear bullet proof goddamit! Or wtf gives? undecided
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by phuckNL: 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2009
keyremotes:

@Poster
Please tell us who is after you?
Have we that live here been kiled?

I beg if you want to come home come and stop making an issue out of a non issue.

Did you not leave from here to wherever you are living now?

I bEG JARE? angry

Why are people so naive? So because you haven't been killed that means others are not/will not be killed.
It is not news that people returning from abroad are targetted. There are stories of people that left nigeria decades ago, came back to the country and were assassinated.
Of course you can wear watches and carry expensive phones in Nigeria. At least if you live in the nice places in Lagos. Most of the people commenting probably live in Lekki and environs. If you live in other places in Lagos, you dare not flash your expensive phone.
There is a reason cellphones are the next business initiative in Lagos. Most people that use expensive phones change them at least once in 6 months ( reason : hold up theft, various kinds of theft and on occasion, dropping of the phone)
Anyway, be careful in lagos. If you must go to the rugged parts of lagos, go there during the day. If you stay on the ISLAND you can flex all you want day and night. The mainland is a different ball game. Crime as gone down but it is still Lagos.
A 4yr old boy was just kidnapped in Lagos recently. Just make sure you watch ur back and be street smart.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by jiniux(m): 3:01pm On Dec 17, 2009
This topic is nonsense and most annoying, take THE FBI AND INTERPOL TO COME WITH FOR BODYGUARD COS NA ONLY YOU GO FIRST TRAVEL OUT , mccheww like say we never see clothes or phones before.Better still u can change nationality nobody wants you in Nigeria.

Guys continue with your karate, this thread is worth derailing.
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by honeric01(m): 3:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
phuck_NL:

Why are people so naive? So because you haven't been killed that means others are not/will not be killed.
It is not news that people returning from abroad are targetted. There are stories of people that left nigeria decades ago, came back to the country and were assassinated.
Of course you can wear watches and carry expensive phones in Nigeria. At least if you live in the nice places in Lagos. Most of the people commenting probably live in Lekki and environs. If you live in other places in Lagos, you dare not flash your expensive phone.
There is a reason cellphones are the next business initiative in Lagos. Most people that use expensive phones change them at least once in 6 months ( reason : hold up theft, various kinds of theft and on occasion, dropping of the phone)
Anyway, be careful in lagos. If you must go to the rugged parts of lagos, go there during the day. If you stay on the ISLAND you can flex all you want day and night. The mainland is a different ball game. Crime as gone down but it is still Lagos.
A 4yr old boy was just kidnapped in Lagos recently. Just make sure you watch your back and be street smart.

what is wrong with you people? do you know how many people came back home and nothing has happened to? infact, look at the entertaining industry alone, most of them are former Nigerians in diaspora, how many of them were killed? if you are not in any dirty politics, you won't be targeted by your likes.

shefini. angry angry angry
Re: How Can I Stay Safe When I Arrive In Nigeria? by forbidden5(m): 5:00pm On Dec 17, 2009
Poster,

Who know u?? Who are you?? What do you think you have that is not here? We are not as hungry as you are there, no one will lay a hand on a bratt like u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Need Tips For Entering Cameroun From Enugu Or Calabar By Road. / 9 Best Affordable Places To Live In Lagos / Lagos Residents Waste Three Of 10 Years In Traffic – Planet Project's Survey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.