Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,757 members, 7,851,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:48 PM

Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? (10347 Views)

Poll: Will You?

Yes: 39% (31 votes)
No: 60% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / Nairaland Does Not Support Any Political Party / The South Will Never Support Any Candidate From North, Let Them Go If They Wish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:20am On Dec 18, 2009
sjeezy8:

Infact its not a yoruba or north thing because almost every wealthy politician who is polygamous in Nigeria has an igbo lady as one of his wives. grin

Igbo first wife or one of the rest that followed? Give example of second Igbo wife to a Yoruba or a northerner?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by fizzybaba(m): 11:23am On Dec 18, 2009
But joke apart, I think that the biggest agent of fast spread of HIV virus in the sub Saharan African region in particular, is polygamous relationship. Where men despite, number of wives at home will still go out and sleep with other people especially love-peddlers and then to return back to sleep with all his wives at home.

you shot urseelf in the head poster.

how? they have wives and yet still go out to sleep with other girls.therefore it is not the number of wives that seems to be the issue but the promiscuity in thee who is sexually reckless. logic, hun?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:30am On Dec 18, 2009
kaecy5:

@becomerich

the woman in your post is simply seeking for attention and not Justice, until the man became a senator thats when she is suing him for $100 million dollars (tif) and she is using the loopholes in the Us system, when the woman cries and whines then she is right, and everybody tells lies

@Eziachi
u are making a grave mistake trying to correlate, Polygamy to AIDS. both of them are not the same thing

Polygamy a man with many wives
Hiv a virus

It will be nice if you go back to the original thread ,probably read it twice, because you seem to be talking something different. I can't remember say that HIV means polygamy. I told you that based on fact on the ground and my experience as a doctor that Polygamy is ONE of the cause of fast spread of HIV within an environ in the SUB SAHARAN African.

Don't answer an exam question before first understanding the question itself. It will be nice if you read it over and over again to get the gist. Please don't say what I did not say. If you have an issue as a supporter of Polygamy in a modern world, that is entirely a different matter. In my culture, it is almost dead.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 18, 2009
I will never accept the foolish notion that homosexuality should be ignored because it is between consenting adults. It is an abominable, despicable act and it is no coinidence that the spread of AIDS in the West is mainly perpetuated by those who engage in this act.

So it is proper and relevant to bring up the issue of faggotry if we are going to have a holistic discussion on the causes and consequence of AIDS and how to prevent it.

Yes polygamy should be dicouraged as a means of society sending a strong message against sexual promiscuity, but much more those who practice homosexuality have to face the severe consequences of the law which in Nigeria is a mandatory 14 year term of imprisonment.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 12:00pm On Dec 18, 2009
Eziachi:

Its either you don't know what the word obsession means or you are just trying to be funny, this is a lively debate about an issue and you don't have to get your knickers in a twist. My observation in Uganda is based on fact and reality, which is what science is all about. What do you based yours on?

You cannot compare the attitutde to sex in the Arab land to that of Nigeria. In most Arab lands having an affair (women)will even warrant being stoned to death. And polygamy in Arab land is not as prevalent as you may wish to think as it is common among their elite. Another fact because I have worked with many middle eastern doctors for more than 30 years. Even their younger generation, no longer subscribed to it as their parents did.

But since you are such a campaigner for polygamy, WILL SHARE YOUR WIFE WITH ANOTHER MAN? If the answer is no, then your are a hypocrite.

I know exactly what obsession means and i am not trying to be funny. You are getting overly emotional over the issue. I think a combination of personal religious convictions and probably an unpleasant  experience with polygamy had inflamed your hatred for the word, so much so that you ascribe so many unrelated issues to polygamy.

Now i cannot understand the crux of your arguments, are you against polygamy by itself, or you are against illicit sex. Please clarify.  Because it is illicit sex that is said to be the main cause of the spread of AIDS and not Polygamy as you want us to believe.

The Arab example you sited is not tenable, the Arab men are not less promiscuous than Nigerian and even Ugandan men, it just that their society accommodates multiple sexual partner for those that are so inclined within their Laws and cultures.  Also Arab societies regulate female promiscuity by ensuring women marry at an early age, sometimes forcefully and not our unrealistic situation where you expect a woman nearing 30 to retain her virginity.  

So your argument here reinforces  the fact that Laws cannot dictate how many sexual partners a man would have. Because a law that mandate Polygamy does not mean people would marry multiple wives and vice-versa.  

On the question of whether i will share my wife with another man, that question is irrelevant You know it is practical impossibility for a woman to be married to two husbands at the same time. Such society would disintegrate rapidly. Because in our species and most animal species, the male is the dominant sex, men are stronger, much more aggressive and domineering, so it would be impossible for women to dominate a" harem" of men.

How would such a marriage work? would the woman build a house and invite men to marry her and then take turns at the bedroom? or she would like with one husband for a few weeks or a few months and move to the next husband. In such a situation, who would own the children? except the woman bears the children and cater for them herself without a father.

With the current situation women are still looking for better protection for themselves and their children and you want to leave them defenseless.

The implication of a divorce is far worse for the woman (especially an old one with many children) than for the man. A good example is Mandela who married immediately after the  divorce while Winnie is yet to marry.

Eziachi:

There is nothing complex about sex, it becomes complex for only the beneficiaries of its exploiters and then make a mess of it. Take your time before jumping into marrriage and try marry the love of your life and for the right reasons and try to invisage how she will look like in 40 years time and if it is ok with you,marry her and stay with her. I can assure you, its not as complex as you think. it will be if you make. You don't need lots of women to enjoy a sexual life, in fact the more the women, sex become a chore, rather than making love. grin grin
You don't have to listen to me, just a banter!!
How can you say that there is nothing complex about sex. Sex is a vital part of our lives. Even psychologists would tell you that a average man thinks about sex more than 80% of the time and most of our actions have something to do with sex. I am surprised you are talking like a teenager who have just read the latest edition of Mills and Boons. I have been married for over 5 years and i would tell your treatise above is fantasy. Ask any married man or woman.  Predicting what your marriage will look like in 40 years is like predicting the rate of Naira to the dollar in 40 years time.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^You are going off on a tangent there. The question is would you share your wife with another man yes or no? It is not about the long -term  societal consequences of polyandry.

Frankly I see the link between sexual promiscuity and polygamy. They are two sides of the same coin. Whether you accept it or not man was not created by God to live like that hence it should be no surprise that one of the consequences of such a lifestyle choice is AIDS and other STDs
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2009
tensor777:

^^You are going off on a tangent there. The question is would you share your wife with another man yes or no? It is not about the long -term consequences of polyandry.

Frankly I see the link between sexual promiscuity and polygamy. They are two sides of the same coin. Whether you accept it or not man was not created by God to live like that hence it should be no surprise that one of the consequences of such a lifestyle choice of is AIDS and other STDs

No i am not going of the tangent, I will not share my wife with another man, and i catch her with another man, i will drive to her and her properties to her parents house to demand a refund of my dowry.

Thou shall not marry two wives was not one of the ten commandments of God, and in fact most of the old testament prophets had multiple wives and the God of the old testament did not make a big deal out of it.

I do not even think that that the Bible exclusively bans polygamy, what is abhors is Fornication and adultery.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

Ius to believe.

The Arab example you sited is not tenable, the Arab men are not less promiscuous than Nigerian and even Ugandan men, it just that their society accommodates multiple sexual partner for those that are so inclined within their Laws and cultures.  Also Arab societies regulate female promiscuity by ensuring women marry at an early age, sometimes forcefully and not our unrealistic situation where you expect a woman nearing 30 to retain her virginity.  

Well you may say that. But we all know that in subsaharan Africa there is a distinct subculture of commercialized casual sex. It is the liasons of the womanizer with commercial sex workers on the one hand and his multiple 'wives' at home that makes AIDS to be such a killer disease in Africa.
The situation is clearly different in Arabia where illicit sexual liasons are severely dealt with.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

Thou shall not marry two wives was not one of the ten commandments of God, and in fact most of the old testament prophets had multiple wives and the God of the old testament did not make a big deal out of it.

I do not even think that that the Bible exclusively bans polygamy, what is abhors is Fornication and adultery.
Deuteronomy 17:15
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself that his heart turn not away.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 12:44pm On Dec 18, 2009
tensor777:

Deuteronomy 17:15
Neither shall he multiply wives to himself that his heart turn not away.

Is that the best verse you can come up with banning polygamy?

Lets analyze the verses surrounding that verse to see if it applies to polygamy;

15Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.

16But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.

17Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

18And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:

So you the passage was not specifically banning polygamy, but was referring to a new king whom God shall choose for the people. The passage is just saying that the new king is not to be distracted with the acquisition of wealth and women. It did not even say how many wives he should start with, it only says he should not multiply the wives and gold as is the standard practice with kings of Israel.

So search for another passage banning polygamy specifically.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 18, 2009
We are not in a law court so you may just have to take that passage as it stands.

On the other hand the bible has many passages which support monogamy.
Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife
Proverbs 5:18
Let thy fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 1:23pm On Dec 18, 2009
tensor777:

We are not in a law court so you may just have to take that passage as it stands.

On the other hand the bible has many passages which support monogamy.
Genesis 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife
Proverbs 5:18
Let thy fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

So how does the passage stand? You take a passage out of context and then complain that we should accept your skewed interpretations because we are not in court.

You are reading too much extra meaning into the passages. The passages did not imply that polygamy is a crime.

Even the proverb 5:18 talked about wife of thy youth, i could interpret that to mean first wife as opposed to wife of your old age which could mean second or third wife. So it is a matter of interpretation. I know a church that allows men to marry more than one wife because (as the put it), the bible did not specifically forbid polygamy.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by FACE(m): 3:19pm On Dec 18, 2009
The problem here is that some people are refusing to consider multiplier effects and think that sex is the only means of infection.

Eziachi has pointed out several times that there are several ways of being infected with HIV including, sex, use of contaminated equipment, maternal link, etc.

Now in my opinion, a polygamous man is the person with a proven track record of lack of self control when it comes to women and sex but I may be wrong, so I wont use likelihood of promiscuity in my brief analysis.

Back to the multiplier effect I referred to;

If a monogamous man had 10 extramarital sex partners, there is a high chance that at least 11 adults plus any offspring that came post-infection would be infected within his area of operation. i.e 11 people + x children.

Likewise if a polygamous man with 4 wives had 10 extramarital sex partners, at least 14 adults + 4x children (post-infection) would be infected within his area of sexual operation.

Now the above strictly deals with infection through sexual promiscuity.

On the other hand, let us presume that Mr Mono and Mr Poly were very faithful to their partners. Mr Mono and Mr Poly's 4th wife (yeah the brand new one) visited Mr Anyhow the dentist for tooth extraction and both got infected with HIV.

Mr Mono went home and infected Mrs Mono and Little Jack and Jill then came along armed with HIV from birth. Direct infection = 1, Multiplier effect = 2, Total infection = 4

Mrs Poly went home and infected Mr Poly, who cheerfully gave some to Mrs A, Mrs B and Mrs C Poly. The Poly wives jointly brought 8 little ones to the world thereafter. Direct infection = 1, Multiplier effect = 11,
Total infection = 13

Clearly, AIDs would most likely spread fastest within a polygamous setting than a monogamous one.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^That is a cold, statistical and logical way of looking at the issue. I would, unlike you, want to very much focus on the misbehaviour of the polygamist.
So if we can just get back to the polygamous man living in subsaharan Africa where for some reason there are no strictures against male promiscuity. As I have argued
in other posts such an institution does inadvertently or otherwise reward promiscuity and recklessness. That is why it should be campaigned against.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by PupetMasta(m): 3:46pm On Dec 18, 2009
I think most people are arguing from a biblical perspective and using America and Europe as a yard stick, please dont forget that they used the bible and their main religion is Christianity (at least then) , Nigeria is a mixture (Islam and Christianity being the major religion), if you because of your religion or whatever other reasons you outlaw Polygamy,  Moslems will feel cheated cos their religion allows it. We cant always take everything that comes from the west, it will always come and bite us at the back. Instead we should find a way around it while accommodating everybody.

Yes, among the Igbos polygamy is not common but also among the Igbos, Islam is rarely practised. Because Monogamy works for the Igbo tribe (low no of Moslems) does not mean it will work for the Hausa and Yoruba tribes (high no of Moslems).
If u say because the igbos practice monogamy, AIDS is on a decline or checked then we can also say Sharia law is helping in the core North where it is practiced therefore the whole Nigeria should go the Sharia way.

A better way to prevent AIDS spread is to frown against promiscuity (male or female), educate and share condoms.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 18, 2009
PupetMasta:

I A better way to prevent AIDS spread is to frown against promiscuity (male or female), educate and share condoms.

Well if we are talking about Islam the sharia law ensures that sexually promiscuous males are severely dealt with. That is the main factor behind the very low incidence of AIDS in Islamic countries.
Are such laws and punishments applied in Nigeria.? Judge for yourself. It seems to me that it is mainly the female adulterers that are dealt with.

What is frowning against promiscuity?? How does handing free condoms to the youth curb the culture of male promiscuity??

We have to be practical and introduce some form of sanction to men who multiply wives unto themselves. It is that simple.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Dede1(m): 4:00pm On Dec 18, 2009
Back in the days when we use roots and leaves concoctions to cure UTI such as gonorrhea, 99% of the patients are monogamous men and bachelors. It is very rare to see a polygamous man with such infections because the man has assorted ladies as wives and does not fall for the wrong infatuations built around woman. In those days, women and even men are satisfied with the little they have acquired. Today it is a different story as married women are tempted to cheat.

The issue among Africans is neither polygamy nor monogamy but erosion of our culture and tradition while embracing everything that is wrong from European and American civilizations.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2009
FACE:

The problem here is that some people are refusing to consider multiplier effects and think that sex is the only means of infection.

Eziachi has pointed out several times that there are several ways of being infected with HIV including, sex, use of contaminated equipment, maternal link, etc.

Now in my opinion, a polygamous man is the person with a proven track record of lack of self control when it comes to women and sex but I may be wrong, so I wont use likelihood of promiscuity in my brief analysis.

If a monogamous man had 10 extramarital sex partners, there is a high chance that at least 11 adults plus any offspring that came post-infection would be infected within his area of operation. i.e 11 people + x children.

Likewise if a polygamous man with 4 wives had 10 extramarital sex partners, at least 14 adults + 4x children (post-infection) would be infected within his area of sexual operation.

On the other hand, let us presume that Mr Mono and Mr Poly were very faithful to their partners. Mr Mono and Mr Poly's 4th wife (yeah the brand new one) visited Mr Anyhow the dentist for tooth extraction and both got infected with HIV.

Mr Mono went home and infected Mrs Mono and Little Jack and Jill then came along armed with HIV from birth. Direct infection = 1, Multiplier effect = 2, Total infection = 4

Mrs Poly went home and infected Mr Poly, who cheerfully gave some to Mrs A, Mrs B and Mrs C Poly. The Poly wives jointly brought 8 little ones to the world thereafter. Direct infection = 1, Multiplier effect = 11,
Total infection = 13

Clearly, AIDs would most likely spread fastest within a polygamous setting than a monogamous one.

Your treatise is highly inaccurate and hypothetically flawed. I do not like it when people try to assemble the world using their personal moral standard and prejudices. I am a strict monogamist but i understand my polygamous friends. Some guys testosterone levels is at variance with their disciplinary levels, and such people have to be catered for with minimum damage to the society.

Before some people demonize polygamist, why do you not try to understand the reason some men are naturally not satisfied with one woman. Some men cannot wait the long period of sexual starvation that accompanies the later part of pregnancy and the healing period of child birth which can sometimes span 6 months. Some guys keep mistresses for those "rainy" days, while some patronize red light districts under the cover of the night. Other still take to marrying 2 or 3 wives. We all have different make up and it is dishonest holding other to our personal expectations.

In the example you gave above, it was wrong for you to assume that a man with 4 wives is like likely to have the same number of mistresses as a man with one wife. A polygamist is most likely to have less mistresses than a monogamous one, because, the polygamous man would have his high libido satisfied better than a monogamous man with the same level of libido. Also the polygamous man would be boggle down with much more responsibility as he has to cater to his four wives and children and hence be much less likely to add more responsibility by keeping mistresses.

Some people with phobia for sex (sexiphobia ) better get use to the fact, that you cannot decree everybody to live by your sexual standard. It had never worked in the past and it will never work in the future.

The irony is that the societies with the least sexual restrictions are the ones with the least sexually related vices. Scandinavian countries where prostitution is legal has the lowest AID figures and lowest teenage pregnancy figures in the world.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by wirinet(m): 4:30pm On Dec 18, 2009
tensor777,
How will such a low deal with a man who wants to marry 4 wives with the active support and consent of the women. Or how would you deal with a woman who consents to her husband having mistresses.

Will you jail all of them?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

Your treatise is highly inaccurate and hypothetically flawed. I do not like it when people try to assemble the world using their personal moral standard and prejudices. I am a strict monogamist but i understand my polygamous friends. Some guys testosterone levels is at variance with their disciplinary levels, and such people have to be catered for with minimum damage to the society.

Before some people demonize polygamist, why do you not try to understand the reason some men are naturally not satisfied with one woman. Some men cannot wait the long period of sexual starvation that accompanies the later part of pregnancy and the healing period of child birth which can sometimes span 6 months. Some guys keep mistresses for those "rainy" days, while some patronize red light districts under the cover of the night. Other still take to marrying 2 or 3 wives. We all have different make up and it is dishonest holding other to our personal expectations.

In the example you gave above, it was wrong for you to assume that a man with 4 wives is like likely to have the same number of mistresses as a man with one wife. A polygamist is most likely to have less mistresses than a monogamous one, because, the polygamous man would have his high libido satisfied better than a monogamous man with the same level of libido. Also the polygamous man would be boggle down with much more responsibility as he has to cater to his four wives and children and hence be much less likely to add more responsibility by keeping mistresses.

Some people with phobia for sex (sexiphobia ) better get use to the fact, that you cannot decree everybody to live by your sexual standard. It had never worked in the past and it will never work in the future.

The irony is that the societies with the least sexual restrictions are the ones with the least sexually related vices. Scandinavian countries where prostitution is legal has the lowest AID figures and lowest teenage pregnancy figures in the world.

I blv that as well.
Most men, instead of being promiscuous, they rather marry the woman, cos they are not into the hanky panky kinda love . . . .they are man enuf to marry the woman and let the world whine.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 4:32pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

tensor777,
How will such a low deal with a man who wants to marry 4 wives with the active support and consent of the women. Or how would you deal with a woman who consents to her husband having mistresses.

Lol
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

tensor777,

You are raising a number of issues which need to be considered.
The law would make polygamy strictly illegal, with terms of captivity being meted out to the offending man, and strictly the man, who chooses to marry more than one wife.
The law also would by its very nature, empower the woman within the marriage as no longer would the man, or more likely his inlaws, be able to threaten the wife, with the promise that the guy would marry another wife.
Moreover the man would no longer be able to hide his escapades under the banner of culture. So if the man persists in playing away the wife would have the locus standi to challenge and confront the man over his behaviour without the man simply just bringing in his mistress to the house and claiming she is the 2nd 'wife'.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

No i am not going of the tangent, I will not share my wife with another man, and i catch her with another man, i will drive to her and her properties to her parents house to demand a refund of my dowry.

I am not one of your pastors but Check out this Bible Scriptures.

EPHESIAN 5:31-32
“For this reason a man will leave [his] father and [his] mother and he will stick to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This sacred secret is great. Now I am speaking with respect to Christ and the congregation

1 CORINTHIANS 5: 1-2
Now concerning the things about which YOU wrote, it is well for a man not to touch a woman; 2 yet, because of prevalence of fornication, let each man have his own wife and each woman have her own husband.

1 TIMOTHY 3: 1-2
If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. 2 The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach.

Finally Adam was given Eve as a wife, I can't remember Adam's second wife and wasn't in God's plan either. Polygmy is man invention to sugjugate women, sex and greed.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 5:45pm On Dec 18, 2009
FACE:

Total infection = 13

Thank you, someone is making sense. One doesnt need to be Chike Obi in Maths to get the point of what you have just said. As I get hinting that the issue is not about morality of Polygamy but multiplier effect. Not just from sex alone as a source of infection. Thank you.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by adconline(m): 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2009
That is exactly what happened in Uganda, where it is custom and common in most rural areas for every man to have at least three wives. And there is a community, I visited with some British colleagues in 2001 in a fact finding mission for UNESCO, what remained in so many villages are thousands of little children left with their very aged grandparents, because their parents are all dead from HIV. In some cases, the kids are looking after themselves because they are the only ones left. And almost 40 percent of the kid are already infected from birth.

Could you explain why Washington DC where polygamy is outlawed has more HIV/AID cases than West Africa where polygamy is still practised? Could also tell me why former Gov. of New York, Eliot Spitzer would have sex with a prostitute with out a condom? Keep posting junk facts
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
Well the truth is that the spread of AIDS in  Africa is caused mainly by sexual promiscuity. Polygamy can be regarded as asocial structure that institutionalizes this promiscuity.
Yes the spread of AIDS is a medical issue but moral failings play the major part.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 6:07pm On Dec 18, 2009
wirinet:

How can you say that there is nothing complex about sex. Sex is a vital part of our lives. Even psychologists would tell you that a average man thinks about sex more than 80% of the time and most of our actions have something to do with sex. I am surprised you are talking like a teenager who have just read the latest edition of Mills and Boons. I have been married for over 5 years and i would tell your treatise above is fantasy. Ask any married man or woman.  Predicting what your marriage will look like in 40 years is like predicting the rate of Naira to the dollar in 40 years time.

I glad you have been married for 5 years and hopefully still think is a good idea.   But my son/daughter had actually married twice the time you are married. And my first grandchild is older than your marriage too.
I am not predicting what a wife will look like the way you looked at it, as you don't seem to understand what I am trying to convey by saying what I said.  Which is: men that married for looks only, will likely have a probelm in their marriage because people's physical looks changes with time and for women very quickly due to their body make up.  And after couple of kids, your wife's youthful great body that attracted you will not be the same again, so if you can't invisage those changes happening, don't get involve in marriage or you will end up with series of affairs or get into polygamy.

And same for women, your young husband's, six-packs now on his stomach will turn into fat flabs in a couple of years time, if you can't see that happening in future and accept it, don't get yourself involve with marriage, and also his great hair locks will disappear and become probably balded as an eagle in future. That is why I said, you should envisage what your wife will  like in 40 years. Take it from me, I have just celebrated my 38 years anniversary of being married to the same lady and I still look forward going home to her every single day.

I am not a psychologist but experience had taught me that, there is nothing complex about sex especially in marriage. It will become complex if you put yourself in that position (Tiger Wood). The psychologist telling you that sex is complex is probably going through his 5th divorce as he is talking.  So what do you expect him to say? If he tells you that sex is not complex, what will become of his profession?
If the Pope starts saying that, there is no GOD, will he have a job tomorrow?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2009
adconline:

That is exactly what happened in Uganda, where it is custom and common in most rural areas for every man to have at least three wives. And there is a community, I visited with some British colleagues in 2001 in a fact finding mission for UNESCO, what remained in so many villages are thousands of little children left with their very aged grandparents, because their parents are all dead from HIV. In some cases, the kids are looking after themselves because they are the only ones left. And almost 40 percent of the kid are already infected from birth.

Could you explain why Washington DC where polygamy is outlawed has more HIV/AID cases than West Africa where polygamy is still practised? Could also tell me why former Gov. of New York, Eliot Spitzer would have sex with a love-peddler with out a condom? Keep posting junk facts
To your first question the answer is that there in Washington DC as well as San Francisco, the spread of AIDS is perpetuated by those who choose to carry out acts of faggotry and engage in intravenous drug use.

As for Spitzer don't forget that he was punished for his indiscretions. For some reason in subsaharan Africa male promiscuity is not punished.That in of itself encourages further misbehaviour.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by FACE(m): 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2009

I decided not to use likelihood of promiscuity as a foundation for my analysis, because I knew that people would have different views on that and none of the views would be acceptable unless there was a reliable data to go by. However, in my opinion again, the polygamous man is the one with a track record of multiple sex partners and is most likely to sleep with multiple sex partners.

Having buttressed my position on the promiscuity tendency, I would again stress that I am not using that as a base for my argument.

I used multiplier effect in the simplest of examples I could think of and HIV spread via means other than sexual promiscuity and you chose not to address that, but latched onto unproven assumption i.e. your personal opinion, which I don’t agree with.

Let me compound the multiplier effect even more for you.

8 HIV offspring from Mr Poly attend YX School and the 2 HIV offspring from Mr Mono attend XFC School. There is an outbreak of CSM and the kids are to be vaccinated. The problem is that the vaccination nurse is a quack and decides to use the same needle for each class to be vaccinated (Please don’t argue about this because I witnessed and stopped this practice while serving in Okura in Kogi)

Mr Poly’s kids are in 8 different classes of 30 children, while Mr Mono’s Kids are in 2 different classes of 30 children.

Mr Poly’s kids now have the potential of infecting 232 other kids, while Mr Mono’s kids have the potential of infecting 58 other kids.

This chain goes on an on and from the point of initial infection at the dentist's, Mr Poly’s household would spread HIV a lot faster than Mr Mono’s household. This is simply known as domino effect.

Of course, I know that I have not considered several factors like susceptibility and enlightenment but I am basing my argument on an equal premise since the other factors are so many and could go either way.

I cannot condemn or commend polygamy anymore than I could monogamy as both practices are individual choices, but I could use reasonable permutations to support my position and I would like to see opposing permutation from you based on an equal premise.

Every scientific research is based on "all things being equal" until proven otherwise. You could use simple stuff like direct proportions to buttress your points. No sentiments or long stories, a simple E=MCC would do.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 18, 2009
FACE:

However, in my opinion again, the polygamous man is the one with a track record of having multiple sex partners and is most likely to sleep with multiple sex partners.

That is precisely the reason why polygamy must be legislated against. The law cannot judge  by mere intention but by deeds. Abi you don hear wey dem prosecute case for mere intention?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by yeswecan(m): 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2009
Africans are Polygamous in Nature
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 8:35pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^^^^MAN is polygamous by nature!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Borno Elders Warn Jonathan On Security Pact With Us / Goodluck Jonathan: Nigeria's Embattled President (cnn Special) / NAFDAC Office In Oshodi Is On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.