Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,224 members, 7,867,581 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 06:57 PM

Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? (10369 Views)

Poll: Will You?

Yes: 39% (31 votes)
No: 60% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / Nairaland Does Not Support Any Political Party / The South Will Never Support Any Candidate From North, Let Them Go If They Wish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 10:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

they only made sense as it stopped the mormon church from forcing under-aged girls into polygamous relationships (something that also happens in Naija today).  
Are you suggesting that a law was made to imprison a whole nation because of the malice committed by a few deviants?
In other words, it was the U.S. legal system that tyrannized its own people, by forcing the passage of an unnecessary law that targeted all age-brackets instead of a select few.

you are confusing me here.  Polygamy is only sin according to Christianity.  Why should a predominantly muslim country such as Nigeria be forced to live under Christian principles?
They shouldn't be.  That's the reason why such a law does not exist in Nigeria, to my knowledge.  
you guys are hypocrites, you love to bash sharia laws but have no problem screaming sin up and down.  Nigeria is a secular country and adults should be allowed to live their lifestyle as long as it isn't affecting you.
Seun is the hypocrite.  He is an atheist like yourself so you should ask him why he is such a bigot.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:13pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

you know Seun is just experimenting with his made in china censorship software. ridiculous.

any man that marries 80 women is just been greedy.

Such man just wanna die, on suicidal mission
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by H2O2: 10:16pm On Dec 16, 2009
What's the purpose of the law? To hinder men from managing/commanding multiple women at a time? That will never happen, even if such a law is imposed.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by bawomolo(m): 10:17pm On Dec 16, 2009
In other words, it was the U.S. legal system that tyrannized its own people, by forcing the passage of an unnecessary law that targeted all age-brackets instead of a select few.

the center of polygamy in the US is utah.  bigamy are hardly even enforced in the US.  it's one of those dormant laws.

Seun is the hypocrite.  He is an atheist like yourself so you should ask him why he is such a bigot.

i won't participate in a war against oga seun or else ban  cool

H2O2:

What's the purpose of the law? To hinder men from managing/commanding multiple women at a time? That will never happen, even if such a law is imposed.

i know right, why would any man want to marry multiple wives in the US with their divorce and child support laws? You are just begging for your pockets to be ransacked.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
bawomolo:

the center of polygamy in the US is utah.  bigamy are hardly even enforced in the US.  it's one of those dormant laws.

i won't participate in a war against oga seun or else ban  cool

i know right, why would any man want to marry multiple wives in the US with their divorce and child support laws? You are just begging for your pockets to be ransacked.

Ask them oh
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 10:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
H2O2:

HIV does not spread as a result of perfectly healthy heterosexual marital sex between couples.  Where are you getting your facts from?

If you the article of the thread again, you will find out where I am getting my facts from. Even Uganda too have joined, no wonder they have recorded the lowest number of infection for the past 10 years in East African. HIV nearly wiped Uganda out by the turn of the late 80s.  I think best on the little I see among just Nigerian immigrants in the U.K alone, Nigerian HIV infection rate scenario is a dynamite waiting to explode.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:22pm On Dec 16, 2009
Eziachi:

If you the article of the thread again, you will find out where I am getting my facts from. Even Uganda too have joined, no wonder they have recorded the lowest number of infection for the past 10 years in East African. HIV nearly wiped Uganda out by the turn of the late 80s.  I think best on the little I see among just Nigerian immigrants in the U.K alone, Nigerian HIV infection rate scenario is a dynamite waiting to explode.

Are you a woman or a man.
If you are a woman, i am sure yu have slept with a married man before and if yu are married man, i am sure u have cheated once in your life, so now, tell me, are u married to that person, if there was a law against marrying 2, would u still cheat?
Let us get real, what will that achieve, when the law makers are still on campus checking out the girls, what will the need of the law, when the streets are still littered with naked girls, and highest bidder have a good nite with them?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Are you a woman or a man.
If you are a woman, i am sure yu have slept with a married man before and if yu are married man, i am sure u have cheated once in your life, so now, tell me, are u married to that person, if there was a law against marrying 2, would u still cheat?
Let us get real, what will that achieve, when the law makers are still on campus checking out the girls, what will the need of the law, when the streets are still littered with unclothed girls, and highest bidder have a good nite with them?

The issue I raised is not about me being a woman or a man and it will be delusional on your part to judge people based on your own personal standards. I am sorry to disappoint you that, not everybody sleep like a dog or cheat as you called it. But that is not the issue I wanted to discuss.
I think some people are completely missing the point, I did not raise this issue because I wanted to debate the moral issue of polygamy, I raised it only based on health reasons  only and regards to present day circumstances as regards to Africa and people are talking about Tiger Wood and Bill Clinton.
My grandfather is polygamous almost 70 years ago and in his day, people hardly travel outside their domain,  they have high moral standard regarding sex and marraige as they don't sleep around as found today and in their time, there is no virus called HIV spreading around.

It is funny how polygamy always gets a cold feet especially from the folks whenever it is suggested that the indulgence polygamy should be of equal right between men and women.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 10:43pm On Dec 16, 2009
Eziachi:

The issue I raised is not about me being a woman or a man and it will be delusional on your part to judge people based on your own personal standards. I am sorry to disappoint you that, not everybody sleep like a dog or cheat as you called it. But that is not the issue I wanted to discuss.
I think some people are completely missing the point, I did not raise this issue because I wanted to debate the moral issue of polygamy, I raised it only based on health reasons  only and regards to present day circumstances as regards to Africa and people are talking about Tiger Wood and Bill Clinton.
My grandfather is polygamous almost 70 years ago and in his day, people hardly travel outside their domain,  they have high moral standard regarding sex and marraige as they don't sleep around as found today and in their time, there is no virus called HIV spreading around.

It is funny how polygamy always gets a cold feet especially from the folks whenever it is suggested that the indulgence polygamy should be of equal right between men and women.

OK, if u have raised this only cos of the health reasons, here is the question:
Will it be okay then, if the man and the women involved are all tested and are kool, no HIV? will it be okay them to be involved in polygamous relationship?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 11:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

OK, if u have raised this only cos of the health reasons, here is the question:
Will it be okay then, if the man and the women involved are all tested and are kool, no HIV? will it be okay them to be involved in polygamous relationship?

Sorry, I didn't quite get your question, assuming I guessed it, banning polygamy will not wipe out HIV in Africa but it can reduce it even by 10% and that is very significant number of people.

Compulsory use of surgical gloves or the ban on the use of already used needles in hosiptals had not stopped the spread of HIV but it has reduce infection by cutting down the risk. In my proffession, it is called clinical risk management. If you don't drink alcohol, you will have less chance of liver a problem but that doesn't mean that everyone that drinks gets liver problem but if you don't, especially, you don't drink too much, it reduces your chances of havig liver problem from alcohol.
Now, our culture leave little or no rights for women when it come to sex within marriage, so no woman back home, especially the uneducated class dare ask her husband to use a condom, let alone to have a HIV test after being away from home for many months, knowing that he is likely had used even prostitutes, probably unprotected.

So assuming the man has just one wife, you are now worried about infection one innocent woman but number of infection increases by as many wives as the man has.
And when or if the man is to die, by so many African cultures, his brother inherits the wives too by right and so does the spread of the disease within a little family. There are people back home as we speak that will be infected with HIV especially among women because they are going into a marraige with someone already infected because there is no law that requires new couples to be tested before marriage, assuming there was no sex before the marriage.

If you have a law of such and be able to enforce it as its a matter of life and death, it will not totally stop infection spread altogether, but even if it produces a little impact, even if it saved one person, a life saved is worth something.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 11:45pm On Dec 16, 2009
Polygamy has not contributed to HIV spread in anyway, shape or form.

If you can make a believer in me, i will agree, but nothing to show ur claim
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Dec 16, 2009
Surprisingly, cheesy I won't ask for polygamy be illegal. Most women these days are not forced into it. Besides I don't want to end up with a man who is not polygamous because it's "illegal". cool
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 2:03am On Dec 17, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Polygamy has not contributed to HIV spread in anyway, shape or form.

If you can make a believer in me, i will agree, but nothing to show your claim

Sorry again, it is not my intention to make you anything, I am sure you are intellient enough to believe whatever you wish to believe. Just that I still find it astonishing, the attitude of most African men especially regarding HIV until it comes closer to home.
Is it not Jacob Zuma, who is now the the South African president, who once or even practice washing off himself after an unprotected sex and really believed that it prevents contraction, how much more the unlettered.

Just like I said, my experience with Nigeria men that have come across over orthopeadic issues and not even clinical problems and can see the growing rate of infection among them and many of them in polygmous relationships, leave me with a great sense of concern that Nigerian HIV problem is a ticking time bomb and polygamy is one of the factors fuelling it.

My argument is purely based on my first hand experience with patients and not by any sort of cultural dogma or moralistic value approach.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 2:55am On Dec 17, 2009
Eziachi:

Sorry again, it is not my intention to make you anything, I am sure you are intellient enough to believe whatever you wish to believe. Just that I still find it astonishing, the attitude of most African men especially regarding HIV until it comes closer to home.
Is it not Jacob Zuma, who is now the the South African president, who once or even practice washing off himself after an unprotected sex and really believed that it prevents contraction, how much more the unlettered.

Just like I said, my experience with Nigeria men that have come across over orthopeadic issues and not even clinical problems and can see the growing rate of infection among them and many of them in polygmous relationships, leave me with a great sense of concern that Nigerian HIV problem is a ticking time bomb and polygamy is one of the factors fuelling it.

My argument is purely based on my first hand experience with patients and not by any sort of cultural dogma or moralistic value approach.

You are so funny though.
My question is tell me what is the correspondence btw having 2 or more wives and HIV.

Most men that are married to just one woman have mistress all over the place, and most of them, for the fact that they are hiding it away, some of them end up having sex without protection, now imagine, if the woman is a wife in their house and dont have to steal am, it is easy to blv that most wives take care of themselves compared to a woman that just dey steal show with another woman`s wife.

I am not saying polygamy is a good thing, infact, i cant see myself doing it, cos i dont have such liver, but your associating it with the spread of HIV is like a joke of the season.

Once again, tie HIV spread with polygamy and make ur point and stop talking about a man that used to take a bath to wash off HIV after sex.
Tiger wood is married and yet he has around 10 mistress and one of the babes said, they had sex without protection, so tell me, is that polygamy too?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by loma(m): 4:20am On Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, ban polygamy, and live your monogamous life in a Tiger Woods fashion!
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 4:41am On Dec 17, 2009
I dont think it is possible to ban Polygamy in Nigeria?  Anyone telling you he would ban Polygamy would have a difficult time because the culture laws of nigeria apart from the religion of some nigerian makes it difficult. It is beyoud Islamic law, It would not pass at the national assembly. 90% of Nigeria ethnics group have Polygamy law even before Islam.  many muslim too do not have two wife. it is call paying bills.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by kiju: 4:42am On Dec 17, 2009
Polygamy is a bleeped up system of marriage,how can you take different girls at a time and say u are marrying all at once.no law should support that only if the man can Bleep all the ladies at once.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by OAM4J: 4:56am On Dec 17, 2009
Nobody can succeed in banning polygamy in Nigeria. I wont support it either, i think it will only make men live more hypocritical lives. Infact I will encourage other nations to allow it. It should be a mater of choice.

For instance even though Muslims are allowed to marry up to 4 women, not all of them do. Let the adults concern decide what is good for them.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 4:58am On Dec 17, 2009
becomrich,:

I dont think it is possible to ban Polygamy in Nigeria?  Anyone telling you he would ban Polygamy would have a difficult time because the culture laws of nigeria apart from the religion of some nigerian makes it difficult. It is beyoud Islamic law, It would not pass at the national assembly. 90% of Nigeria ethnics group have Polygamy law even before Islam.  many muslim too do not have two wife. it is call paying bills.

It can be banned, as long as mistresses are not banned warming up the bed of the so called men, nothing will change.
kiju:

Polygamy is a bleeped up system of marriage,how can you take different girls at a time and say u are marrying all at once.no law should support that only if the man can bleep all the ladies at once.

That is not the point, the fact of the matter is that, the ladies are aware of the arrangement.
OAM4J:

Nobody can succeed in banning polygamy in Nigeria. I wont support it either, i think it will only make men live more hypocritical lives. Infact I will encourage other nations to allow it. It should be a mater of choice.

For instance even though Muslims are allowed to marry up to 4 women, not all of them do. Let the adults concern decide what is good for them.

True Dat
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 4:59am On Dec 17, 2009
OBJ was married to just one woman and yet slept with his son`s wife . . . . how monogamous was that?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 4:59am On Dec 17, 2009
obj did not sleep with his son wife,  newspapers wanted to sell story.

this may sound funny in places like uk, usa canada etc but most africa mothers (80%) want thier son to have more than one wife. even when a man have  one wife, they think something is wrong. and in some cases the first wife marries another wife for her husband. sounds crazy but it is true.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 5:03am On Dec 17, 2009
becomrich,:

obj did not sleep with is son wife, newspapers wanted to sell story.

this may sound funny in places like uk, usa canada etc but most africa mothers want thier son to have more than one wife. even when a man have  one wife, they think something is wrong. and in some cases the first wife marries another wife for her husband. sounds crazy but it is true.

Even in Canada,USA and Europe, most parents still see a nice looking babe and they wish she is married to their married son, and what do u think those kinda parents will do, if they see their son tickling such babe?
How many babes is the PM of Italy doing at same time, when he is in the mood?
Prince Clarles was married to Dianna while checking our Camilla . . . monogamy, i guess
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Dec 17, 2009
@Poster, a ban on polygamy will never solve the problem of polygamy, neither will it result in fall in AIDS cases. If anything, banning pre-marital sex and infidelity might be a better place to start. Even then, I would still not support such a ban. I would however prefer that Government educate people on the perils of unsafe sex and make them understand that it is not the responsibility of the state to take care of those who refuse to heed the advice given.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by brooknam99: 5:39am On Dec 17, 2009
Man by nature can neva be satisfied with one partner,so let's not pretend
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Fhemmmy: 5:51am On Dec 17, 2009
brooknam99:

Man by nature can neva be satisfied with one partner,so let's not pretend

You have said it all.
Men are just noise makers, there are so many women too that cheats, even more than men, they are only good at chop and clean mouth
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 6:30am On Dec 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, a ban on polygamy will never solve the problem of polygamy, neither will it result in fall in AIDS cases. If anything, banning pre-marital sex and infidelity might be a better place to start. Even then, I would still not support such a ban. I would however prefer that Government educate people on the perils of unsafe sex and make them understand that it is not the responsibility of the state to take care of those who refuse to heed the advice given.

I hate repeating myself honestly, I had never said that banning polygamy will eliminate HIV infection, what I was saying that logically is that within the African contest, where women had little say about their own sex life, if a man had 5 wives and contracted HIV, he will automatically infect 5 women instantly within his own household, while if he had one woman within his household, I am not talking about his lifestyle outside home, assuming that he is faithfull.
This is just logic.

And you have people talking about safe sex and all the rest of it. Its like the logic, that if you indulges in proccessed food, you high or more chance of obesity than one that doesn't eat it but that doesn't mean that that eat it will become obese or one that doesn't can't be.

Anyone who think that polygamy will go in African and most moslem world is not realistic because polygamy is strictly a man's idea and African and middle east for example is a world dominated by man. If you decide to extend polygamy tomorrow to include that women can have as many husbands as she wished at a go, polygamy will disappear.

Anyway, I don't about other places, but in Igboland, polygamy is now almost a dead culture.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by rhymz(m): 6:33am On Dec 17, 2009
Mr Eziachi
I totally disagree with U.
First,I think U should be more elaborate in your concept of polygamy,trying to clump ppl's willful act of having unprotected sex out of wedlock is not polygamy(whatever U mean by polygamous r/ships) neither is polygamy one of the leading causes of HIV spread,there's no fact to that claim besidez snide comments from the west about the practice of polygamy but to attribute it to the spread of HIV and AIDS is a distortion of the truth by the west all because it is alien to them.Let's not confuse promiscuity with polygamy.Any man can cheat on his wife or wives be U a monogamist or a polygamist,it is a matter of choice,afterall,who is more likely to pick the virus,is it the faithful polygamist or the sexually uruly & pretenseous monogamist?The spread of HIV has more to do with our personal choices when it comes to sex rather than our marriage systems.I am a christian and personally,I do not like polygamy,I think it's too much hassle for a male like me,however,I do not condemn it or those that practice it if they can cope up with it both financially and healthwise.Besides,when our fore-fathers practised it,it wasn't because they wanted more sex or to exploit sex,it had more to do with status.Back then U can't be rich,famous and influential and still stick to one wife,who will work on the farm,protect the family and so on.Our forefather were polygamous but often times didn't not cheat on their wives instead they will marry the woman if they found her attractive.So Mr Poster,your ideas are nice but they are misplaced in this regard and are just one of the many opinions of the ppl in the west,they are not neccessarily true.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 6:38am On Dec 17, 2009
Eziachi , You may be right.

but there are more AIDS cases in the USA than Nigeria. Less AIDs cases in Nigeria. Aids is there but at a very low % compare to the USA with one man one woman.

Why is that so?
Fuuny enough with a population of 150 million the AIDs case in nigeria seen to be very low.

I would assume when you have 3 wivies,  other woman would not interest you again. because you have seen them all.

But to be honest with you, a man would not cheat on you if you please him.  If you do not please him, bet you another woman is ready to do what you are not ready to do for him. Mostly over here. if you are nice to a man, he would not cheat if he believe he can not find something better than you.

If you treat a man bad, he would look for another woman that treat him better. it is hard for  a man stay with an abusive woman.

Now how do you make him feel like a king? You have to make him feel like a king ? he would never leave you. Or if you are not a nigerian. have baby for him. He is going noway. Nigerian men 99% of the time fight for the custody of their children.  In africa men keep the children if the relationship break up. 90% of the men keep thier children and raise them alone. only less than 10% do the women keep the children.

if you  are married to a  nigerian have baby for him. He goes noway. when you have a baby for a nigerian, you are recorgnised as one of his wife. even the nigeria law back you up. You share in his wealth.

Nigeria law mostly consider a woman your wife, base on the children you have for him. even when you may not be legally married to the man, as long as you have a child for him. You get part of his will. even when you were not legally married to the man.

Now look at this case, if the legally wife have no children but the non legally have a child. the non legally wife get everything. sound funny. But that is how it works in nigeria. It is the child you have for a man that is use to determine if you get part of a man wills.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by Eziachi: 7:03am On Dec 17, 2009
becomrich,:

Eziachi , You may be right.

but there are more AIDS cases in the USA than Nigeria. Less AIDs cases in Nigeria. Aids is there but at a very low % compare to the USA with one man one woman.

Why is that so?

Becomrich,
I don't know if you are right or wrong. U.S population is approximately 600 million people and Nigeria at around 150 million if I am right. So by ration of population, you may be wrong in your extimation. And then again if you contract HIV in the advance nations today, you can live basically a normal life as long as you take your drug daily without fail, which provided and paid for by the state and you also had a lot to eats very well too, to maintain your required nutritional level.

But in places like Nigeria, it is still a dead sentence to have HIV because of lack of the drugs and qulity of the little available drugs from Asia, plus poverty.
If small Benue state officially admitted of having 400,000 HIV cases, plus the unknown and the unreported cases, then, say you halved that figure into 200,000 or even 100,000 and plot it into the 36 staates plus abuja, so you're looking at almost 1.5 million HIV cases. That will represent 1 HIV carrier out of every 150 Nigerians, and that is very huge.
Honestly, what I had witnessed within the past 12 months alone, has alarmed me greatly and Nigeria is not even taking any steps.
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 7:10am On Dec 17, 2009
see this woman on youtube claiming bigamy, she does not know she as legally right to the man property if he dies.  but she is looking for ways to destroy him instead letting him get money money for her to share in the nigeria wealth . if the man become poor, her children get ZERO. if he is rich , she share part of the wealth. She is not wise , would another man will her children money I dont think she knows that all they do in nigeria is steal money.

If a woman have no children for a nigerian man, she has no legally right too. ask any nigerian. have baby

Senator Ehigie/"Godwin" Uzamere's Bigamy and Identity Fraud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuSuENqyh14
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 7:16am On Dec 17, 2009
USA population is 300 million . The AIDS level in the USA is at least 10 to 20 times higher than nigeria, even with Polygamy?
Re: Will You Support Any Law Against Polygamy? by becomrich15: 7:30am On Dec 17, 2009
In the type of Polygamy in nigeria, the women live together in the same house with the one man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sit-at-home unknown gunmen scatter people brain like moi moi - PHOTOS / Abba Moro To Be Arraigned Today Over NIS Recruitment Scam / Anambra Election: We’ll Field A Candidate That Will Defeat Obiano – APDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.