Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,257 members, 7,829,503 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

"Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss (47449 Views)

Senate Demands Return Of Mace In 24 Hours After Thugs Invade National Assembly / Senate Demands Reinstatement Of Obiano’s Security Aides, Condemns IGP / Senators Hold Close Door Meeting With Customs Boss Hameed Ali. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Pebcak: 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2017
seguno2:

So why are you implicitly giving excuse for Ali staying on a civil service position beyond retirement age?
Why?

Not sure what the requirement for the comptroller of custom is, but I am know he's Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Customs Service Board, which is chaired by the Honorable Minister of Finance.

Now we are diverting from the initial issue of the blowout btw customs and senate

Lets digress
I am unable to find anything on controller general's requirement so can you enlighten us all about it and I won't go with oh Sen Dino said this, is there any provision in the constitution for civil service age exception, who is a civil servant, can a civil servant position be occupied by a political appointee, can a president give an executive order to appoint someone to a civil service position,is the Federal Civil Service Commission of Nigeria (FCSC) in par with Hammed Ali's appointment?
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by olaszydaruma(m): 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2017
Danty37:
shinning dirty teeth.... SMH for u
Are you my toothpaste grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by seguno2: 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
Pebcak:
Not sure what the requirement for the comptroller of custom is, but I am know he's Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Customs Service Board, which is chaired by the Honorable Minister of Finance.

Now we are diverting from the initial issue of the blowout btw customs and senate

Lets digress
I am unable to find anything on controller general's requirement so can you enlighten us all about it and I won't go with oh Sen Dino said this, is there any provision in the constitution for civil service age exception, who is a civil servant, can a civil servant position be occupied by a political appointee, can a president give an executive order to appoint someone to a civil service position,is the Federal Civil Service Commission of Nigeria (FCSC) in par with Hammed Ali's appointment?

Don't worry.
Our senators are our lawmakers.
Dino and his fellow senators most likely know what they are talking about.
Expect arrogant Colonel Ali (ret) to run to our courts for protection using the revenue generated by our Customs service despite the recession his brother has brought upon us.
Are we not the fools?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Lumig: 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
All about EGO ... There's nothing Nigeria will benefit from this charade. irresponsible Senate
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Nellybii: 4:58pm On Mar 22, 2017
Billyonaire:

It does not matter, if they realize now. Dont you know that as long as the politicians keep fighting, they will be looking for mass support from the populace and they will work towards getting that support.

We all know that Ali or whatever his name is, was nominated based on nepotism, to fight corruption of anti-Buhari and anti-APC entities.

The country is just a joke taken too far.

Please tell me how to solve this puzzle. The country has bitumen deposits, has labourers to dig the bitumen and have bad roads, yet instead of buying machines and hiring the jobless populace to tar the roads, we give billions of dollars in contract to foreign companies, who dig our bitumen to lay on the road, freely with just bribes to land owners where the bitumen is, yet we award contracts. Of what use is contract when all you need is train your citizens to know how to tar the roads and you engage every youth from every local government to tar the roads with locally available raw materials.

We must be prepared to take our country back from these thieves. It is the reason they do not issue us guns and gun licenses, because, if we armed, we can put an end to this, and develop our country.

Read what you typed again??
So Saraki group and Dino et al are the ones that will take back the country from thieves ba?
I don't get it. Who is taking what back from who?
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by abimic(m): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2017
Firstly, his approval was confirmed by the Senate which invariably means the senators are more or less self centered, ignorant and directionless set of people, infact it's a disgrace to the senators or should I say Dino is just deranged bringing up age as an issue to ask for his resignation. Just as magu seems to be facing confirmation challenges, if it were true that age would have him disqualified from being the CGC, the senators I know wouldn't have confirmed him but melaye is just trying to be relevant. Again, as regards the uniform, it's no issue, if the uniform was a must according to law, the AGF and vice president would have advised him to go in his regalia but because they knew the senators are just trying to be relevant over irrelevant issue, then the reason to take the issue to court. As regards his resignation over age, the senators should get busy with important national issues and when they have something important to discuss with Ali, they would see him in the chamber when invited to discuss the issue. That a retired General wore a FRSC uniform doesn't mean others would follow suit and doesn't make it right, our personalities differ. I for one wouldn't have worn it as long as it breaches not the law. Wearing it would even be a slap on immediate junior officers since he never passed all through their ranks.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by IYANGBALI: 5:03pm On Mar 22, 2017
In flavour's voice "finally o, it's about to go down. "
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by MethodmanWES: 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2017
If him no resign, Buhari that appointed him will be impeached
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by donttouch: 5:10pm On Mar 22, 2017
Ngokafor:

...So why was he made a Customs boss in the first place when he is not a staff??
If u ask me na who I go ask? That is the problem with most of the appointments made by this administration.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by deomello: 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2017
Billyonaire:
So, you can not define the word, 'corruption'. The stop quoting me, you have no purpose and no mission, just wasting my productive time.

I think you need get adequate education on how to mind your business and if you do not have any business to mind, then go mining for common-sense, you need it.

What's you defending crooks, corrupt people and ex convicts like ibori got to do with the definition of corruption?

Again, I'll take you seriously when you stop defending and supporting corrupt people like ex convict Ibori.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Pebcak: 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2017
seguno2:

Don't worry.
Our senators are our lawmakers.
Dino and his fellow senators most likely know what they are talking about.
Expect arrogant Colonel Ali (ret) to run to our courts for protection using the revenue generated by our Customs service despite the recession his brother has brought upon us.
Are we not the fools?

I want to talk on facts which I can pull up in regards to these civil service age thing, and as far as revenue generated by custom for court process, Nigeria Custom have a legal team/department that will handle that. why can't Saraki just pay the right fees for his range, if dino is yet to pay right fees for his RR and fleet of exotic cars he should go ahead and do that
Lets leave Ali out of his so is it right for a senator who can comfortably afford to pay duty on expensive vehicles not to pay. I have no issues with both of them mine is just there should be no preferential treatment for someone I voted for to be in office.
They should stop using their office to intimidate and cut corners.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by donttouch: 5:18pm On Mar 22, 2017
YeyeDeySmell1:

Tell me something I don't know, so a none custom staff can receive salary, use vehicles, stay in a furnished apartment meant for customs staff?. If he's not a custom staff, what is he doing in customs staff's office. He can't wear the uniform, it will rubbish his military background but the salary and other entitlements he's enjoying as custom CG won't rubbish his military background abi?. What if there's specific age bracket for such office and he has passed the age, are we going to allow him continue because na pmb friend?. If he is an Igbo man or from the south, how will the North react?.

Yeyedeysmell indeed.
Let us not make it tribalistic. The point is that the man is not qualified to be there because is not Customs officer. He doesn't belong there. You don't make an Army officer the Inspector-General of Police.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ganye1: 5:19pm On Mar 22, 2017
Caveatemptor:

The Senate did not vet Hameed Alli's appointment as Comptroller General of Customs. He was solely appointed by the executive. He was appointed by Mr Buhari.
Thank you for the clarification. I still hold the believe that the issue is trivial and is being given undeserved attention to the detriment of serious national problems.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by donttouch: 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2017
BetaThings:

But Maina was qualified for armed protection
while refusing to meet senators under Jonathan

Did Maina ever appear before senators?
Will u also come to his defense if he loot, just because his predecessor was accused of looting?

#Yourreasoningislow
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by daryoor03(m): 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2017
Irrelevant things

1 Like

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by adeolu2010: 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2017
[quote author=SalamRushdie post=54835472]Comptroller General of the Customs is an attained rank and comes with a uniform and insignia but pretender CG Ali thinks its a paddy paddy apointment thats comes only with fat pay, plenty perks /goodwill and bullet proof 7 series BMW .. Who is decieving who here please ?
i think nobody seem to understand this man, that he is a staunch moslem, it is because of his beard. He can not wear uniform without removing hi beard.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Antangonist: 5:35pm On Mar 22, 2017
This senators are bunch of idiot ridicule Nigeria.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Gaskia: 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2017
Minjim:

What kind of thinking is this?

Don't you know it's the judiciary's role to interpret the law?
What the judge will do now is to tell us whether the Senate Can compel Hammed the wear uniform. And case closed

Ali's prayer (through a surrogate litigant) is for the court to determine if the Senate has the power to compel him to wear his uniform anytime he is performing his official duty, and if it is constitutionally demanded so.
In contrast to his prayer, Dino is averring that he, Ali does not have the constitutional credential to be appointed a CG of the Nigerian Customs Service, having past the lawful age bracket for the position (following his earlier retirement from active service in the Nigerian Army).
He further buttressed his submission so logically by noting that the position of the CG is a service hierarchy, a rank that one must rise to, not a political position meant for external appointees.
To reinforce his argument, I believe that a Colonel is a lower rank than deputy CG, (DCG), so why should a retired Colonel (not a General), boss over his superiors.

Also, superiority of the military forces to the Police and other paramilitary organisations is only a figment of crude imaginations and conjecture, majorly due to our slow mental evolution from a prolonged military rule. Such superiority has no basis in the constitution. The constitution rather promotes equality, they only differ in functions and duties to the state and citizens.
How would the army officials feel if a retired Custom Commissioner is appointed a Chief of Army Staff?
Anomaly? What is good for the goose is not bad for the gander!

1 Like

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Akainzo(m): 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2017
gypsey:
And why would he refuse to Resign? If the rule of law says he is past retirement age. Is he planning to die in the job? I think he should retire and give young people a chance. You don't think?

This is the problem in Nigeria, when any body gets into a government position they behave as if the own that position and would not give way for other citizens when they are due for retirement. they want to die in the job.

Bros, there is a difference between PUBLIC SERVANT and CIVIL SERVANT. Col Hameed Alli is NOT a CIVIL SERVANT as he is not in the employment of the Federal Civil Service commission.

The President is the Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces, yet he is not a Civil Servant and he does not have to wear any service uniform.
The National Assembly is populated with people of little education. The money they should have used to employ legal aides or paralegals, they are using for runz, otherwise anybody sound person would have told them they are on a looonnng thing..

1 Like

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Twy: 5:44pm On Mar 22, 2017
ganye1:
When they vetted his nomination don't they know he is over aged?

Thank you, you see in this country many of us are pretenders. When Ali was nominated am sure one of the DCG's and ACG's would have quietly filed a petition but at that time, the senate leadership could not care, what suddenly happened that they are insinuating his appointment is illegal, a statement that indicts them also. Am beginning to believe sahara that something like the car thing happened and saraki decided to dust old petitions. It becomes an issue that is less about Nigerian/s and more about the people involved.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2017
ganye1:
Is that all they can do? If Hameed Ali refuses to resign what would they do?

Ask them ooo, They are jester i swear..
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Akainzo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2017
Billyonaire:

Locate your brain and use it wisely. What makes you think I must agree with your opinion ? Sometimes I think you and the people who reason like you are not educated enough to understand that every one of us have the right to our perspectives. Do you think I care how you feel ? Hell No, I care how I feel so take yourself off my posts and focus on your opinions, I have my opinions and if it makes you feel suicidal, pls be my guest.

Is the meaning of nepotism a function of how one feels or is the meaning of nepotism an opinion?
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Nobody: 5:50pm On Mar 22, 2017
Akainzo:

Is the meaning of nepotism a function of how one feels or is the meaning of nepotism an opinion?

Google is a friend. Use it wisely.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:52pm On Mar 22, 2017
LastSurvivor11:
The white he goat should resign, I mean sacked to enable competent personal with customs knowledge take over..
He's as incompetent as his master..

Abeg sack by who? hahahah most of you don't know how power works..

Only Buhari have the power to hire and fire..
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
yeyeboi:
This Ali needs to resign really , I never knew he was the CG of Customs until this matter. He should either go or wear the uniform once and for all

Sorry you can go jump inside lagoon in protest against his resignation.. wailing zombie..
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
iamnicer:

IN A COUNTRY FILLED WITH EDUCATED AND ENERGETIC YOUTHS

OLD PRESIDENT CHOOSES TO SORROUND HIMSELF WITH OLD MEN''

You mean those energetic youths that have sold their future under PDP?

1 Like

Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by simpleseyi: 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
genearts:
Lol

Is that all they could do??

I thought FFK said that bloody civilian Saraki and bloody civilian Dino should go and handcuff retired Col Hameed Ali and drag Ali to the Senate. FFK wants to use one stone to kill several birds at a time. FKK wants retired Col Hameed Ali to kill both bloody civilians Saraki and Dino and thereafter, FFK will inherit their wives.
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
yourexcellency:
Ali gave them a technical knockout and e pain them wella...

LOL i swear, I tell one of my friend that Ali will rubbish them and nothing will happen..
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2017
omenkaLives:
Like crazy. cheesy

If I were Ali, I'd focus on confiscating more of their vehicles. Make dem go their worst. grin

Abi ooo, Ali have been the Custom Boss since 2015 and none of them ask him to wear uniform until Custom seized Saraki Range Rover hahhaa..
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by Bishop(m): 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2017
is he a CG of customs or DG of customs, He is not a career customs officer and If the law permits the president to appoint non career officer, Hammed Ali Will find his way around
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 6:00pm On Mar 22, 2017
Billyonaire:
If the constitution of the country of Nigeria stipulates age for such position and he is above such age bracket, he should be fired immediately by the people of Nigeria, which the Legislators represent, and Buhari should see to it that it is done.

So are Senators not civil servant too? most of them are over 6o..

Beside Ali was the CGC based on appointment and not a career custom officer..

So now it's about age and not uniform anymore? You see the Senators are nuisance?
Re: "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss by jamace(m): 6:10pm On Mar 22, 2017
All the senators should resign first for confirming an old man into office. Oya, leggo. Col Hammed Ali will resign after all the senators have resigned..

Jokers in the chamber! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Channels TV Presenters Leave NBC Meeting As DSS Denies Reports Of Arrests / The Moment Buhari And Wife Arrived Polling Unit To Vote (video) / Pictures Of Peter Obi Rescuing Secondary School Girls Last Year Resurface Onlin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.