Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? (27073 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Man Surprises Wife With N15million Benz Just To Say 'Thank You' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by jauntty: 1:48pm On Mar 26, 2017
mrjojo:
Lol, funny as this is, some years ago I was in a neighbor's house and they were eating, after they were done, the 3 kids knelt down and was thanking the parent, y'all need to see how surprised I was. I asked the eldest son why they were thanking, and he said "for eating na". Lol.
Btw they are from edo state.

Me no dey thank anybody o, except you serve me.
It's Edo tradition especially in Esanland to thank your parent after eating.

BTW, I always Thank anyone who prepare a meal for me even if I provided the money. Even my GF, I think it's a way of appreciating their efforts
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by NaWetinDey(m): 1:49pm On Mar 26, 2017
It's a customary norm to greet, not just your mother in-laws after eating before them, but everyone older than you who is present - whether or not you are the god who owns their lives.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by UjSizzle(f): 1:55pm On Mar 26, 2017
daretodiffer:
MIL is there to help them. Also, she is older. It won't cost him anything nor would it bring disrespect if he said ‘thanks'.

If she's helping him take care of their child, saying thank you isn't bad.

But this is feeding. What's he thanking her for?

I don't understand the sentiments we carry about as Nigerians. It hasn't done us much good to begin with. Say "thank you" because it's polite but makes no sense at all.

You thank people for services rendered, not just for the sake of it. Otherwise all that show of courtesy becomes meaningless. Just like most things already are.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by UjSizzle(f): 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:
[/s][s]

Oliver Twist, welcome. Are you through, great interpreter of culture? Remove the spec in your eyes first, madam.

Read your comment out loud to yourself.
Does it sound sensible to you?

*moving on*

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by EbyJulie(f): 1:58pm On Mar 26, 2017
House, just needed candid advise, my mother Inlaw is in my place for omugo/visit.

Just this evening my wife served me my dinner and after finish eating I left the parlour to the bed room, my wife came in and said why didn't I even say thank ma to her mother.

Pls kindly advise becos I nearly took offence about it. """100% right even if u provide the money. If am ur wife if you don't respect my mum then I will do the same 2 your mum. My hubby greet everybody in our house that's older than him after eating if you are around""".
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by olandoboy(m): 1:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ur question sound funny,if ur own mum is around and u finish eating DO U SAY THANK MA?next time u will start complaining about ur wife not respecting elders,my brother a good leader leads with good example
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Acheron: 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:
[/s][s]

They are known by their fruits. You even had to begin with an insult. Now everyone knows how you were raised.

Stop casting aspersions on my person. Oh so you think you were raised better just because you say "thank you" after eating to an elder who didn't participate in no way in the cooking or how the food got to be? SMH just go abeg.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by bobcharly(m): 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
sacramento1212:

cheesy grin @ thank you ma for waking up and shitting. Well, those in support that the OP should have said thank you to the MIL are mostly the igbos because that's how they do it there. But to me that's nonsense as it doesn't make any sense except it was the MIL that cooked or served the meal. Thanking the wife for a well prepared meal is in order or for serving him but for the MIL, that's nonsense.
so what about lying flat on the ground to greet an elder that is not God,who doesn't feed you nor pay your bills? How necessary? You are entitled to your own opinion but don't be judgmental about things you know little about. Its not 'nonsense' to us(igbos).
Cultural differences applies bro.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by LesbianBoy(m): 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2017
UjSizzle:

If she's helping him take care of their child, saying thank you isn't bad.

But this is feeding. What's he thanking her for?

I don't understand the sentiments we carry about as Nigerians. It hasn't done us much good to begin with. Say "thank you" because it's polite but makes no sense at all.

You thank people for services rendered, not just for the sake of it. Otherwise all that show of courtesy becomes meaningless. Just like most things already are.

To the hypocrites on this thread insulting the OP and saying rubbish, you all should read the bolded let it sink into your heads!

Even those that insult jonathan and buhari are here talking about respecting elders grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by mastermaestro(m): 2:04pm On Mar 26, 2017
UjSizzle:

Read your comment out loud to yourself.
Does it sound sensible to you?

*moving on*

Don't just move, make sure you move on to wisdom on how warm homes are built and preserved!!!!
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by psp2pc(m): 2:08pm On Mar 26, 2017
after reading the comments , thanking an elderly after or before meals falls to cultural differences..
just as a south easterner thinks it weird to prostate to greet an elderly person, so also as a south westerner i find it weird to greet my MIL for a meal that she didn't prepare or serve me. the thank you goes to who prepares my meal. shikena
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by mastermaestro(m): 2:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Acheron:

Stop casting aspersions on my person. Oh so you think you were raised better just because you say "thank you" after eating to an elder who didn't participate in no way in the cooking or how the food got to be? SMH just go abeg.

Aspersions? Oh you are going defensive already after opening your remark with a general insult. I hope when your own mum visits your house, you cook for her, after both of you might have eaten, you would expect her to bow her knees to thank you. After all everything there belongs to you, right? Let me leave you to live as you have been taught.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by koresN(m): 2:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
respect is not measured on the basis of your pocket.your mother in law is your senior by virtue of been your wife mum.tell her thank ma
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by UjSizzle(f): 2:12pm On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:

Don't just move, make sure you move on to wisdom on how warm homes are built and preserved!!!!

I don't understand why this is a personal attack on my person.

Something makes no sense to me. It's like saying "sorry" to someone simply because you can, even when it defies reasoning.

Courtesy should be given with reason so it's valued, that's what I believe. Not just because we can.

I don't expect you to understand that, but my children will learn to give value to things they say, not just mutter words because they can or someone says they should or they want to please everyone.

Now, if you have nothing of worth to say by way of explanation for your stance, I suggest you move on too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by kripen(m): 2:12pm On Mar 26, 2017
This is why socital decadence is prevalent in our society 2day. This is what we are known for 'respect' for elders. When one finish eating just say thank you to elders around and it takes nothing away from you. I hope you wont groom your children this way because it is all part of manner. "SALUTATION IS NOT LOVE BUT IT BRINGS ABOUT LOVE"
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Bibors(m): 2:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
pocohantas:
Will you be asking this question if it were your mum?
If no? Then the question is unwarranted.

On Jan 23rd, your wife was about putting to bed
https://www.nairaland.com/3588885/tb-joshua-undoubtedly-one-gods#53065688

Jan 24th, you were already sucking your helps' boobs?
https://www.nairaland.com/3589656/wonder-why-women-hard

Troll.

You are indeed a dangerous stalker. Hmmm
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2017
who says thank you after eating? so people still live by tradition? nawa, what sort of village like reasoning is this? thats how some will come and be saying its traditionally right for a woman to kneel down while serving her husband food. hunger never wire the man.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Acheron: 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:

Aspersions? Oh you are going defensive already after opening your remark with a general insult. I hope when your own mum visits your house, you cook for her, after both of you might have eaten, you would expect her to bow her knees to thank you. After all everything there belongs to you, right? Let me leave you to live as you have been taught.
You're just talking balderdash. I will not thank my mom for a food she did not participate in. The thank you only goes to my wife. My mom only get a thank you if she participated in the cooking or she assisted in serving the meals. Pls, stop abusing the word "thank you". As a poster said earlier, you only thank people for services rendered. What service has that MIL rendered that made her deserve a thank you from the husband?

Stop following religion and culture blindly. Good day.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by sacramento1212: 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
bobcharly:
so what about lying flat on the ground to greet an elder that is not God,who doesn't feed you nor pay your bills? How necessary? You are entitled to your own opinion but don't be judgmental about things you know little about. Its not 'nonsense' to us(igbos).
Cultural differences applies bro.

The discuss is about whether it's right or wrong to say thank you to someone that didn't prepare or serve the meal which is completely different from ways of showing respect to an elder in form of greetings. I am not being judgemental and i previously indicated that it has to do with the Igbos because that's what i have observed about them. FYI...Majority of the tribe in Nigeria will say "thank you" when you directly offer them food or any gifted items but it's weird for me to say thank you to party that never prepared my meal or served my food.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by mastasam(m): 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
I think she should b d one to thank me
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by LesbianBoy(m): 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
koresN:
respect is not measured on the basis of your pocket.your mother in law is your senior by virtue of been your wife mum.tell her thank ma

I hope you also tell that elderly gate man that guides your gate "thank sir" after you finish eating and you are driving to work grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by mastermaestro(m): 2:18pm On Mar 26, 2017
Acheron:

You're just talking balderdash. I will not thank my mom for a food she did not participate in. The thank you only goes to my wife. My mom only get a thank you if she participated in the cooking or she assisted in serving the meals. Pls, stop abusing the word "thank you". As a poster said earlier, you only thank people for services rendered. What service has that MIL rendered that made her deserve a thank you from the husband?

Stop following religion and culture blindly. Good day.

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by joinnow: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2017
I feel the MIL assisted in preparation of the food.
Mr. Man saying thank u Ma will not take anything away from u.
Where you at the kitchen throughout when the meal was been prepared, beside she might have brought some solid native fish which your wife used also during preparing the meal.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by emeka2847: 2:20pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ma is an abusive word o
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by mastasam(m): 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2017
BellaElla:

Yes it's proper.
When we were growing up, we were taught that you should thank the elderly ones in the room after eating. I still do that to anyone that is older than me when I eat. I am igbo by the way.
its not right if she is not the one that cooked and served me, my opinion anyway
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by kripen(m): 2:31pm On Mar 26, 2017
This is one of the reasons there is societal decadence in our society today. This is what we are known for 'respect', eat and greet the elders around weather they provide money for the food or not. You will have your children tomorrow won't you teach them respect from table manner.
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by naptu2: 2:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
Guarding the concrete slab grin
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by chigoizie7(m): 2:37pm On Mar 26, 2017
alfredo4u:
House, just needed candid advise, my mother Inlaw is in my place for omugo/visit.

Just this evening my wife served me my dinner and after finish eating I left the parlour to the bed room, my wife came in and said why didn't I even say thank ma to her mother.

Pls kindly advise becos I nearly took offence about it.

This is akin to waking up from the wrong side of the bed and then refuses to greet anyone even ur father or refused to accept greetings from others.

It doesn't matter who brings the money, what matters is the sign of respect showed.

Let me ask u this, do u think it is right for a child to greet his or her father " good morning" or the other way round.

Good morning is like asking " HowZ ur nite? I hope u slept well". Between u and ur little child, who should be asking that question in the real context of greetings?

But it became a norm for children to greet elders, maybe Vic's of customs , same as greeting elders after eating.

Op are u seriously trying to tell me that if ur mother had visited u, that u won't greet her " thank ma" after eating? Even when she didn't foot the bills?

Over sabi de always kill us. It won't take anything out from us to say the few words.

Anyways, all man to his or her opinions
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by sucess001(m): 2:39pm On Mar 26, 2017
mastermaestro:

Where are you from, Mr Joe? It's common table manners in many Nigerian homes to thank the elderly person near you after having a meal irrespective of who financed the meal. Unless you grew apart from a home of elder folks, this isn't news! At an eatery, it's unnecessary. But in a home, it's a norm. Obedience, love and honour are the pillars of a successful home!

An obligation? Never. It's a sign of honour. This world is easy! Men make it difficult to live in!

If thats how u do in your place...dont assume thats how it is done everywhere....

Will she expect him to say thank you ma if it were his own mother?....girls be honoring their mum more than the guy's mum since days of adam.

in my place sef...when the wife gives birth...its the guy's mum who comes over...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by sucess001(m): 2:41pm On Mar 26, 2017
chigoizie7:

This is akin to waking up from the wrong side of the bed and then refuses to greet anyone even ur father or refused to accept greetings from others.

It doesn't matter who brings the money, what matters is the sign of respect showed.

Let me ask u this, do u think it is right for a child to greet his or her father " good morning" or the other way round.

Good morning is like asking " HowZ ur nite? I hope u slept well". Between u and ur little child, who should be asking that question in the real context of greetings?

But it became a norm for children to greet elders, maybe Vic's of customs , same as greeting elders after eating.

Op are u seriously trying to tell me that if ur mother had visited u, that u won't greet her " thank ma" after eating? Even when she didn't foot the bills?

Over sabi de always kill us. It won't take anything out from us to say the few words.

Anyways, all man to his or her opinions

thank you ma for her footing the meal or for her preparing the meal?

why dont u tell him to say thank you ma after he finishes his bath or thank you ma before he can have se.x with his wife! wierdos!
Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by Josephamstrong1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 26, 2017
This is wat happens when you ain't exposed.
Sm ppl tnk it's all abt getting married means u mature.
Maturity is...you say "Thank you" to ur wife, kids and any elder around even after meals.
I say tnkz to kids weneva they serve me food.
U owe it to evry waiter or waitress dat serve you meal.
U owe it to that conductor or taxi driver. That bike man. After u alight, a Tnk u is wat u owe them. Not about who brot the money. We call it living ethics. Doesn't reduce or make u.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? by ccqueen(f): 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2017
Bigsteveg:

Mr Springer, i dont know where you are from o, maybe animal kingdom?
The man is in his house, he dropped money for food, the wife cooked the food, the wife served the food, the man ate, and the wife cleared the plates. Please where does the mother in law fits to deserve a thank you?

If there is a thank you to be given, its the wife who cooked and served.
He's from this planet and African at that.From this side of the country (Eastern Nigeria), we greet our elders after eating irrespective of who provided the meal.It's obvious you are not Igbo,we do it to show respect just like some cultures demand you prostrate to greet an elder.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Who Owns Me? / I Become Broke, Frustrated Whenever I Have Sex With My Wife / 5 Ways A Child Can Be Spoilt In A Nigerian Compound House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.