Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate (64359 Views)

Sowore: "You Owe Nigerians An Explanation’ – Sagay Tells DSS Over Re-arrest Of A / Complete All Ambode's Projects Before Starting New Ones, Sagay Tells Sanwo-olu / Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by kennys: 8:34pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government
what useless arm of government is that? Are these not the senators that uses tax payers money to buy very expensive luxury cars for themselvse not minding the suffering the common Nigerians out there...mtshew
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:35pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Erudite my as.s.Professor Sagay is a very big disgrace to the legal profession. Since his appointment into the buhari's government, he seemed to have lost it.His end is near.It is either he and magu goes or the Senate will completely cripple buhari's regime.The choice is his

Chukwudi the chest beater hahaha, I swear the Senate can't do nada, They can only wail and wail, Simple order from the President to the finance minister to stop the allocation to Senate will bring on their knee hahahahaha..

Sagay don ridicule them now what else will they do? Make them go get better lawyers to interpret the law for them.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by wink2015(m): 8:36pm On Mar 29, 2017
NA SO SARAKI, MELAYE AND HIM BOYS WANT TAKE FIGHT BUHARI "S MEN

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:38pm On Mar 29, 2017
Armstrong34:

Thanks for takin ur time to explain... Buh I wanna ask a question.....

You tryin to say the executive headed by buhari is more powerful than the legis looters led by saraki right buh why is the Senate Making the president look weak and incapable.... It's really a disgrace to buhari... So i wanna knw... What gives the Senate so much confidence to do all this

Thank you. If i may come in here. Everything @Armstrong23 said is the truth and nothing but the truth. They've had their confidence boosted on discovering the fact that the president is spineless. Am sorry to say so of him but i haven't a milder way to do it.
Buhari lacks the guts and courage to handle present-day nigeria. It reminded me of the rumours that made the rounds after the coup that ousted him in 1985. The rumour mill had it that security reports duly informed him of IBB's plan to overthrow him but rather than take necessary action as a military man, he simply invited his imminent nemesis and asked him why he wanted to overthrow him then let him off !
Am yoruba and i hate OBJ like no man business, but at times like this, one cannot but miss him.
You have to give honour to whoever it is due.
Were Obj to be the president, am sure Saraki, Dogara and some others would be cooling theit heels behind bars by now.
Go back and study the way he handled the senates during his tenures as toys and went scot-free. Am afraid Buhari is too much of a weakling.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Leiman100(m): 8:40pm On Mar 29, 2017
Billyonaire:
To interact with me, on my level, please learn to spell. But if you already can spell, then be patient enough to type correct spellings. Those who type short-hands on this forum, are those thwarts who are impatient enough to even reason correctly. You are clearly not emotionally intelligent to chat with my dog.
oya clap for yourself, dumb a$$!
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by muredo(m): 8:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
adioolayi:

Who and Who can they Summon by the provision of Section 88 Please Post section 88 and 89 together and let's judge who is right grin

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

God bless you,people like reading in isolation,If they dont mind here it is:

88. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, each House of the National Assembly shall have power by resolution published in its journal or in the Official Gazette of the Government of the Federation to direct or cause to be directed investigation into -

(a) any matter or thing with respect to which it has power to make laws, and

(b) the conduct of affairs of any person, authority, ministry or government department charged, or intended to be charged, with the duty of or responsibility for -

(i) executing or administering laws enacted by National Assembly, and

(ii) disbursing or administering moneys appropriated or to be appropriated by the National Assembly.

(2) The powers conferred on the National Assembly under the provisions of this section are exercisable only for the purpose of enabling it to -

(a) make laws with respect to any matter within its legislative competence and correct any defects in existing laws; and

(b) expose corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by it.

89. (1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -

(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;

(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;

(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and

(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.

(2) A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Ibrahimnasarawa(m): 8:42pm On Mar 29, 2017
Lobatan
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:44pm On Mar 29, 2017
cktheluckyman:

Very well, there will be further confirmation of any executive nominees by the Senate, hence no new appointment by buhari until this "yeye" Senate is appeased

And the appointee can be in acting capacity and the President will use all his power to block their allocation..

Don't worry before 2 week you will see Saraki going to beg baba hahaha..
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by unitysheart(m): 8:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
ALAYORMII:

Nope

He shot himself in the foot when the Senate presidency brouhaha started

He allowed an opportunist like Sataki and co hijack the most powerful tool of government

He started the problem for himself when he said I belong to nobody and I can work with anybody.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Masculity(m): 8:47pm On Mar 29, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

How DARE*** you?

Thanks, Sir.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:48pm On Mar 29, 2017
ehissi:
This man may soon understand the power of the Senate.........

He should go and ask Ndume how far, as them don issue am 6months suspension, na God win.

Men that have sold their birthright for dry porridge.....

Bench warrant for arrest loading

LOL the know know about law and constitution pass those useless senators so he tell them to their face that they have no power to summon him ..
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 8:48pm On Mar 29, 2017
39. (1) Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinions

I wonder why the useless clowns never summon me sef..
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:53pm On Mar 29, 2017
Reptyle:
Below was my comment on an earlier thread on this same matter. It is a shame that the Nigerian Senate has allowed itself to be reduced to this crass level.

[b]"The role occupied by Professor Itse Sagay is not formally recognised by the constitution. He is at best a member of the President's "kitchen cabinet" who was appointed without any recourse to the legislature.

I doubt very much that the Senate has any legal right to invite him over a statement he can easily argue that he made in his personal capacity as a Nigerian citizen.

Like I said during the Hamidu Alli debacle, the Nigerian senate needs to pick its fight carefully. There is no need issuing ineffectual and pointless decrees and summons when it will only end up making itself look irrelevant in the scheme of things.

Itse Sagay might be a lot of things but one thing he has going for him is a deep knowledge of the Nigerian constitution both as a legal practitioner and a leading academic in that field. I can almost bet that he will be releasing a statement before the end of today trashing the senate's summon and upbraiding the hell out of them."[/b]

God bless you jare..
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Armstrong34(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Thank you. If i may come in here. Everything @Armstrong23 said is the truth and nothing but the truth. They've had their confidence boosted on discovering the fact that the president is spineless. Am sorry to say so of him but i haven't a milder way to do it.
Buhari lacks the guts and courage to handle present-day nigeria. It reminded me of the rumours that made the rounds after the coup that ousted him in 1985. The rumour mill had it that security reports duly informed him of IBB's plan to overthrow him but rather than take necessary action as a military man, he simply invited his imminent nemesis and asked him why he wanted to overthrow him then let him off !
Am yoruba and i hate OBJ like no man business, but at times like this, one cannot but miss him.
You have to give honour to whoever it is due.
Were Obj to be the president, am sure Saraki, Dogara and some others would be cooling theit heels behind bars by now.
Go back and study the way he handled the senates during his tenures as toys and went scot-free. Am afraid Buhari is too much of a weakling.

I think there is a very very powerful political elite backing Saraki,buhari is scared of the political clan behind saraki and that's why he's weak to preside
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Montaque(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2017
deomello:

No, you did not read or comprehend anything.
Its still an ongoing debate. I recommend you to the Court of Appeal decision in Senate vs. Tony Momoh.
That will determine whether Mr. Sagay can be summoned at all, and on what ground, when you determine what Mr. Momoh said then, in his right and on the national issue at hand then and what Mr. Sagay said now. Everybody is quoting constitution, whereas the portion has been interpreted and expanded.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:58pm On Mar 29, 2017
Emassive:
Oga sit down. That Itsekiri sell out is a slowpoke and he should be summoned to appear as I don't care if the senate is a rogue because the majority put them all in that house. My own is the reputation of the Senate itself and not the rogues called Senators

LOL the man don tell your masters say them no get power to summon him so what else hahha..
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 29, 2017
How many of these senators are lawyers yet called themselves LAWMAKERS? Bunch of Third class graduates summoning a Professor of Law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria? He will finish them
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 9:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
ehissi:
This man may soon understand the power of the Senate.........

He should go and ask Ndume how far, as them don issue am 6months suspension, na God win.

Men that have sold their birthright for dry porridge.....

Bench warrant for arrest loading

1. Mr Sagay is not a member of the senate like Ndume and so can never be touched or punished by the Nigeria senate like they did to Ndume

2. Mr Sagay functions under the executive arm of government and not the legislature. Only the executive can punish people hired by the executive so your going by your comment, you don't know anything about the Nigerian constitution and the 3 arms of government and separation of powers.

Nigeria's problems goes beyond ignorant and illiterate senators because the poor, ill informed and ignorant population spells doom for Nigeria.

Do they still teach social studies and civic education in Nigeria.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by FlyboyZee: 9:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
janefarms2015:

Who is ordinary office clerk? Do you know the position he occupies? Do you know this erudite professor's records and antecedents? No lawyer or any honest Nigerian who is matured enough in age and intellect will not respect this man's view on issues of national development
Abegi! Make we hear word jare. Na so una dey overhype every Tom, Dic and Harry. na im first do Jurisprudence? Who im jurisprudence help?

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by muhakeem(m): 9:09pm On Mar 29, 2017
GeeOh:
gehgen!kai abeg season wetin b dis?
the next season
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Wallade(m): 9:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
I believe Senate President Olubukola Saraki is a questionable character judging by the many cases he has pending in court. If, and only if, he is a questionable character, then it is OK to assume that the majority of the members of the Senate are questionable characters. However, they can prove me wrong by impeaching the Senate president.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by castrokins(m): 9:15pm On Mar 29, 2017
Bros, With This Your Comment, I Agree Sagay Is Below The Law.

Mek We No Drag Am.

Lol

lexy2014:
so what is d law regarding this issue?let's c if d prof is above it or below it
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by fjjc(m): 9:19pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:
insubordination will crush this government

imagine ordinary office clerk saying board of directors can not summon him

let's attack the individual and respect the institution
God punish your bad mouth.Professor Sagay compare to who in that red chamber that has turn to something else.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by notoriousbabe: 9:23pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:
Why are all of Buhari’s appointees displaying unnecessary ego it must be flowing 4rm d top.
See as he face worwor angry
he doesn't belong to the group of people your so called Senate can invite so shut the fok up
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 9:25pm On Mar 29, 2017
Armstrong34:

I think there is a very very powerful political elite backing Saraki,buhari is scared of the political clan behind saraki and that's why he's weak to preside

That may well be so and that would be unfortunate. Perhaps they have something incriminating on him. I can't understand his act of timidity.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by sshalom(m): 9:31pm On Mar 29, 2017
While I don't like the way Prof Sagay suddenly turned himself into this Government's mouthpiece by defending their actions and inactions; I am tired of a Senate who is busy inviting everyone when the budget of 2017 has not been sorted out.

Does it mean our Senate will invite anyone that says anything that they do not agree with or that they feel impacts negatively on their character? If that were to be the case; we should all give up on the National Assembly!
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Bimpe29: 10:00pm On Mar 29, 2017
Nigeria as a system is chronically ill. Everything is messed up. There is no a clear cut direction. Vested interests are thriving. Real business of governance is taken for granted. Insincerity prevails
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Bimpe29: 10:00pm On Mar 29, 2017
Nigeria as a system is chronically ill. Everything is messed up. There is no a clear cut direction. Vested interests are thriving. Real business of governance is taken for granted. Insincerity prevails.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by bizzibodi(m): 10:03pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government
How many pple hav they summon for insulting d presidency
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by precious1967(m): 10:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
i dont know if nigerian voters has power to recall ds useless/jobless politicians b4 2019?
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ALAYORMII: 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2017
unitysheart:

He started the problem for himself when he said I belong to nobody and I can work with anybody.

He was trying to show he's no more a dictator

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Top 10 Poorest Countries In Africa 2019 / Passport Of Kidney Donor In Ekweremadu's 'Organ Harvesting” Saga Shows He Is 21 / 'Where Is Bayo Omoboriowo?' President Buhari Asks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.