Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate (64383 Views)

Sowore: "You Owe Nigerians An Explanation’ – Sagay Tells DSS Over Re-arrest Of A / Complete All Ambode's Projects Before Starting New Ones, Sagay Tells Sanwo-olu / Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by cyrilamx(m): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
My guy think very well, it won't take Buhari minutes to level that nass and blame it on boko haram attack, then leme see where saraki n Co will seat to impeach him. May u don't really know the kind of power wielded by Nigerian president. Just Buhari wants to play d nice guy. I will constitute league of assassin to go after dis guys or their families then let see who will blink first. So much for democrazy...that is a clog in the wheel of progress and fighting corruption
timota:
how fast is buhari u think saraki is as dull as that before u count 1 to 5 saraki would be through with him and the impeachment concluded

2 Likes

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by castrokins(m): 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2017
Meaning He's Above The Law?

Why Is This Administration Like This?? The Precedent You Guys Are Setting And Celebrating Is Very Dangerous.

That An Individual Of Sagay Repute Can Profile The Senate Of The FRN And Feel It's Okay Because He's A Professor Is Very Dangerous.

janefarms2015:

Who is ordinary office clerk? Do you know the position he occupies? Do you know this erudite professor's records and antecedents? No lawyer or any honest Nigerian who is matured enough in age and intellect will not respect this man's view on issues of national development
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by morounkola(f): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2017
Please what case is the senate investigating that requires Prof Sagay to give evidence? Lawyers in the house, please interpret
hazyfm1:
89. (1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -
(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;
(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;
(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and
(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.
(2) A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require

2 Likes

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by LeSaint(m): 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
yeah

Afonja boy with massive support from the flat heads.

LOL!
Am ashamed to share the same ethnicity with flat-heads .

(Seun, why is "<flat heads>" coming out as "Igbos"?)
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by AZeD1(m): 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2017
Zejie:
They have the right to summon him. Its part of their duty as senators under the powers of the National assembly in the constitution 89c, it says that the senate has the right to summon any NIGERIAN to give evidence concerning any matter under investigation by the senate. In 89a, it states the type of evidence and it includes oral. Prof Sagay said the current senators are irresponsible and are just there for vanity. What the senate is doing is investigating if they are irresponsible and he should appear to show evidence of their irresponsibility.
Section 89 says " For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional "

You see section 89 refers to section 88 which means you can't interpret section 89 without interpreting section 88.

Now go and read section 88 and review your comments.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by KaptainAfrika: 6:44pm On Mar 29, 2017
No one has bothered to check the part of the Nigerian constitution that the man quoted, instead they are giving their opinions care-free of facts. You can't summon a private citizen, if it was so, we would have a senate where every one can be summoned as they wish. You can't summon a private citizen, because of what he said.

3 Likes

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by shams040(m): 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
My signature
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by bkool7(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
timota:
And the senate can impeach the president rem that

oh! they should please oblige us the feat
That'll be their doom

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by AZeD1(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2017
hazyfm1:

Now read Roman figure 2 with me: Where does Sagay's office gets its funds from? From Buhari's salary? I don't think so.

I stand to be corrected, please enlighten me
Sagay doesn't have a constitutional backed office so can't be given funds directly. So if the President wants to fund Sagay, he would use something like Security votes or .......
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by ALAYORMII: 6:50pm On Mar 29, 2017
adekayo1234:

Buhari will continue to regret the day he allowed senate leadership to fall into the hands of unscrupulous elements. Tinubu may be corrupt but at least, he has insight. All what we predicted is now coming to pass. This senate will continue to frustrate d Goodwill of this administration unless we Nigerians fight back.

That's where people are mostly wrong about Tinubu, he might be a crook but he's more development oriented than most politicians that are always for take it all and do nothing
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Daboomb: 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:
Why are all of Buhari’s appointees displaying unnecessary ego it must be flowing 4rm d top.
See as he face worwor angry

You are a dunce....... and l am sure you also carry-around, a forged 3rd Class certificate!

Let me give you small lecture here:

We operate a Three tier system of Government, each with separate responsibility and authority.
That is Democracy for you.

The job of the Senate (Legislators) does not go beyond MAKING LAWS (or to put it in lay terms that you will understand, "passing Bills" that will/may later be accented into law, by the President)
They also have secondary oversight responsibilities

The job of the Executive is to "Execute"Laws ALREADY passed into the Constitution.
All "Executive" dealings (Total Control over the Police, Armed Forces, Appointments/Removal of Heads of Parastatals and Agencies, e.tc)

Where there is a "dispute" in the "Interpretation of the Law" between the Legislators and the Executive Arm of Govt, the JUDICIARY is empowered to step-in and make a final and definite (binding) interpretation of that law and then PASS IT to the executive to IMPLEMENT.

This is the whole summary of the PRINCIPLE OF SEPARATION OF POWERS.

I have deliberately emphasised some phrases/words to draw your attention to them because they are KEY WORDS.

*What we have now is a criminal Senate that wants to do the job of the Judiciary (prosecution of anyone that does not toe it criminal line of behaviour or wants to challenge its abuse of power).
*We also have a Senate that wants to do the job of the Executive (Appointing people to head Parastatals and Agencies of Govt).
*We also have a Senate that wants to arrest and lock people up (job of the Executive arm of Govt - The Police )

I know most of the Senators are illiterates elevated beyond their cranial capacity, l know most of them are Certificate forgers that claim to posses various "bought degrees", l know most of them are criminals who murdered others to become Senators, l know most of them are criminals who dont pay tax on items they import or cloak it under the cover of the Senate, so they can avoid paying tax on it, l know most of them have ZERO integrity yet they sit over people with a hundred-fold integrity than them and pronounce them unfit for a role.......

...so, l am not surprised they are embroiled in a "battle of ego and self", instead of doing the job they are paid to do - Make LAWS for the betterment of the country.

*That they do not know that they cant force the President to drop an appointee, despite not confirming the person, shows how shallow they are.

*That they do not know they cant force the Head of Customs (A political Appointee) who retired as a Colonel of the Nig. Army, to wear a para-military Uniform of Customs, shows they are learners and used to blowing hot air.

*That they think Nigerians can be fooled with their Kangaroo Panels here and there, which asks and listens to foolish questions/Answers, shows they are still living in the past.

*That they are led by a serial criminal, a thief, a forger and a looter of Kwara State, shows they are all criminals, serving their own personal interest.

The day of reckoning is getting very close.
Nigerians will march on that Senate and bring it down wholesale.
They think it is impossible, so they act willy-nilly.

Prof. Sagay is a "Private individual" who is entitled to his own opinion of the Senators (just like me and You) and the Senators cannot bully him to silence or summon him. That is what the constitution says!

This Legis-looters led by Saraki are trying to muzzle Nigerians, especially now that their criminality is being exposed left, right and centre.

If they have anything against what he said, if they think it is libellous or defamatory.... they should institute a joint suit against him and let the arm of Government empowered by the constitution to deal with interpretation of LAWS, deal with the matter.
To gang-up and think they can intimidate everyone and anyone in the country, to think they have become Tin-gods and above the law or a law unto themselves, shows the level of their idiocy!

All the above are not more than a Secondary school level Govt class, for students that attend class, which l am sure you dont.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by joe120120(m): 6:53pm On Mar 29, 2017
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by spartan117(m): 6:57pm On Mar 29, 2017
Daboomb:

You are a dunce....... and l am sure you also carry-around, a forged 3rd Class certificate!

We operate a Three tier system of Government, each with separate responsibility and authority.

The job of the Senate (Legislators) does not go beyond MAKING LAWS (or to put it in lay terms that you will understand, "passing Bills" that will/may later be accented into law, by the President)

The job of the Executive is to "Execute"Laws ALREADY passed into the Constitution.
All "Executive" dealings (Total Control over the Police, Armed Forces, Appointments/Removal of Heads of Parastatals and Agencies, e.tc)

Where there is a "dispute" in the "Interpretation of the Law" between the Legislators and the Executive Arm of Govt, the JUDICIARY is empowered to step-in and make a final and definite (binding) interpretation of that law and then PASS IT to the executive to IMPLEMENT.

I have deliberately emphasised some phrases/words to draw your attention to them because they are KEY WORDS.

*What we have now is a criminal Senate that wants to do the job of the Judiciary (prosecution of anyone that does not toe it criminal line of behaviour or wants to challenge its abuse of power).
*We also have a Senate that wants to do the job of the Executive (Appointing people to head Parastatals and Agencies of Govt).
*We also have a Senate that wants to arrest and lock people up (job of the Executive arm of Govt - The Police )

I know most of the Senators are illiterates elevated beyond their cranial capacity, l know most of them are Certificate forgers that claim to posses various "bought degrees", l know most of them are criminals who murdered others to become Senators, l know most of them are criminals who dont pay tax on items they import or cloak it under the cover of the Senate, so they can avoid paying tax on it, l know most of them have ZERO integrity yet they sit over people with a hundred-fold integrity than them and pronounce them unfit for a role.......

...so, l am not surprised they are embroiled in a "battle of ego and self", instead of doing the job they are paid to do - Make LAWS for the betterment of the country.

*That they do not know that they cant force the President to drop an appointee, despite not confirming the person, shows how shallow they are.

*That they do not know they cant force the Head of Customs (A political Appointee) who retired as a Colonel of the Nig. Army, to wear a para-military Uniform of Customs, shows they are learners and used to blowing hot air.

*That they think Nigerians can be fooled with their Kangaroo Panels here and there, which asks and listens to foolish questions/Answers, shows they are still living in the past.

*That they are led by a serial criminal, a thief, a forger and a looter of Kwara State, shows they are all criminals, serving their own personal interest.

Prof. Sagay is a private individual who is entitled to his own opinion of the Senators (just like me and You) and the Senators cannot bully him to silence.
This Legis-looters led by Saraki are trying to muzzle Nigerians, especially now that their criminality is being exposed left, right and centre.

If they have anything against what he said, if they think it is libellous or defamatory.... they should institute a joint suit against him and let the arm of Government empowered by the constitution to deal with interpretation of LAWS, deal with the matter.
To gang-up and think they can intimidate everyone and anyone in the country, to think they have become Tin-gods and above the law or a law unto themselves, shows the level of their idiocy!

All the above are not more than a Secondary school level Govt class, for students that attend class, which l am sure you dont.
U just wasted ur time typing bcuz no one read it undecided
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 6:58pm On Mar 29, 2017
castrokins:

Why Is This Administration Like This?? The Precedent You Guys Are Setting And Celebrating Is Very Dangerous.

That An Individual Of Sagay Repute Can Profile The Senate Of The FRN And Feel It's Okay Because He's A Professor Is Very Dangerous.

To you people, the clowns are your heroes, while the ones acting within the law are your enemies.

He is within the law, but the senate is acting like they are above the law.

Mr Sagay is right, the senate has no business summoning him and there is no law within the Nigerian constitution that says the senate can.

The fact that many of you think the senate can summon anybody or have the constitutional authority to do so is very sad and spells doom for Nigeria because many Nigerian youths are just too ignorant and not afraid to display their ignorance.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by comedynaija: 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2017
I won't be surprised if they ask this man to resign as PACAC chairman. Nigeria Senate in ACTION.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 7:02pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:

I read every word and he made more than enough sense than many of you with zero capacity to formulate sensible argument beyond the same ignorant comebacks.

2 Likes

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by arewafederation: 7:04pm On Mar 29, 2017
BMZK:

I have forwarded your name to the senate committee on ethics and privileges for necessary actions.

You will receive your IV to appear before them in no distant time.

Don't forget to send a cheque for DTA...
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2017
comedynaija:
I won't be surprised if they ask this man to resign as PACAC chairman. Nigeria Senate in ACTION.

Same way they tried to bully Magu to resign or threatened to punish him till the ignorant and lawless clowns woke up from their ignorance and found out that they can not because they have no such power.

The Nigerian senate is polluted with crooked, corrupt and useless thieves.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Daboomb: 7:07pm On Mar 29, 2017
adioolayi:

You've raised a big question that the Law will have to interpret..... Is a Presidential aide answerable to NASS

Because he is not under any Parastatal or Ministry Pay roll.

That is why l said the NASS should head to Court (the 3rd arm of Govt with Power to interpret laws) .... instead of all these bullying tactics they are trying to use on everyone who says anything or expose their criminality.

Senate cannot MAKE Laws and still want to INTERPRET it while at the same time wanting to EXECUTE it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by alfsalami: 7:08pm On Mar 29, 2017
Wrong senate , so Tinubu was right on Saraki leadership
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Daboomb: 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:

The fact that you said "No One" (instead of saying "I did not"wink, shows that you are one of the Certificate Forgers masquerading on Nairaland.
Now getdafphuckoff and go play with your mates in Tontoh Dikeh section! grin grin

Mature people are having a discuss, ....errant truant like you says he has an opinion, huh?
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by NCP: 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
Daboomb:

Prof. Sagay is a "Private individual" who is entitled to his own opinion of the Senators (just like me and You) and the Senators cannot bully him to silence or summon him. That is what the constitution says!

Explicit and direct summary of Sagay's Message.

4 Likes

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by deomello: 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
morounkola:
Please what case is the senate investigating that requires Prof Sagay to give evidence? Lawyers in the house, please interpret

The senate abi kabukabu lawmakers don't know anything about the law, they also are incapable of interpreting the law, but we are paying them to make laws.

Very sad.
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by Bayo0502(m): 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2017
janefarms2015:

Who is ordinary office clerk? Do you know the position he occupies? Do you know this erudite professor's records and antecedents? No lawyer or any honest Nigerian who is matured enough in age and intellect will not respect this man's view on issues of national development
Help us tel dem o, make dem hear
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by NCP: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2017
spartan117:

This is what we see in peepz like you and those that Lack Mental Capacity To Comprehend Basic Knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by LeSaint(m): 7:19pm On Mar 29, 2017
castrokins:

"The Senate of the FRN" you called it ba?
Sounds so hallowed and sublime ba?

Well, you see, only so IF the PURPOSE they serve is constructive, patriotic, and humane. That's when democracy means jack.
But what's been our experience in this part of the world?
We've had institutions that have been myopic, self-serving, and outright subversive of overall public good.
Destructive governance.

You may bring extraneous sentiments of partisan politics, ethnicity, etc, into it but the fact remains that unless and until someone intervenes with a radical, out of the box approach to governance here, we'll all soon come to perdition as a nation.

1 Like

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by middlebelter(m): 7:19pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government

It better you try and separate the individual from the institution. The erudite Prof did not insult the Legislative arm, he only condemn the attitudes of individuals occupying the office. If we can't condemn wrong doings of people because they occupy an office, you can be sure people will do anything possible to attain a position get there and misbehave because nobody can condemn them. That implies we should start killing each other to get to an office because when you get there nobody can condemn your wrong doings..
The current Senate should please not truncate our democracy, also PMB should please put his house in order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by MICHEALADEX(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2017
pauljumbo:

that does not mean he will insults an arm of government

Then all of us on nairaland will have to appear before the nenate...please I won't than kin invitation soon...I swear, I go take am blow
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by MartialArt2(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2017
The war has just began
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by MartialArt2(m): 7:21pm On Mar 29, 2017
The war has just began. Watching in 3D
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by YesBwoss: 7:24pm On Mar 29, 2017
Please read Section 88(2)

cktheluckyman:

Chai very apt and someone who calls himself a professor of law doesn't know this.Maybe he attended midnight law class
Re: You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate by TijaniAbu: 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2017
Sagay is a charlatan

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Governor Makinde Mocking Coronavirus At PDP Rally Before Testing Positive (Video / Boko Haram Fight Among Themselves In Madagali,30 Killed- V O A / Audu's Wife May Emerge As Deputy Governor

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.