Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi (25637 Views)

Four Things I Learnt From Boarding A Bus This Morning / To Hate And Love(story That Touches The Heart) By Adaobi Marianne / Adaobi (A Story Of Love, Romance And Adventure) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by murmee: 10:03am On Mar 30, 2017
Ngokafor:

...Black people have an inate inferiority complex to the White-man and yorubas are not exempted..,Stop making it an Igbo thing only..If i had time,i would have given you countless evidences to proove my assertions...
...Igbos bear first names as English names,while Yorubas bear last names as English names e.g..Mobolaji Johnson,Tunji Braithwaithe,Yemi Black,Gani Adams,Funsho Willians e.t.c.

...Black people Worldwide have to emancipate themselves from mental shackles to the White-man....Its a herculean task,but achievable.
Which Yoruba people have English last names? Just because you know a few of them (mostly Lagosians) you now want to make it look like it is common in Yorubaland. Go to Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo and you hardly see anyone with an English surname. Even in Lagos and Ogun states, it is less than 1%. Yoruba Surnames, are original family/ancestral names.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by murmee: 10:11am On Mar 30, 2017
oglalasioux:
I'll prefer my children speak languages that will put food on their table. If the mother tongue can do that, good. If it can't, to hell with it.
Are you now saying that speaking both your language and English will stop your children from being successful in life. Some people speak 4 or more languages fluently and are very successful internationally. What is important is not to throw your culture away.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by bigsmoke2(m): 10:13am On Mar 30, 2017
My grandmother banned us from speaking English at home when she saw how terrible our yourba was even till now I can't make a sentence in yourba without adding English. We need to really preserve our local languages as they are gradually getting extinct
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by murmee: 10:18am On Mar 30, 2017
Chidizman:

You're a foolish Afonja. I'm Igbo and i'm definitely proud of my native name.
Don't generalize that assertion to a particular tribe. Even afonjas are ashamed of their "Olu, Olu" names!
You must be joking. The Yorubas are very proud of their native, meaningful Yoruba names. How many Yorubas have you met bearing English names?
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by krak101(m): 10:21am On Mar 30, 2017
Davidflight:

Really...too long for you to read? Kai...Nigerians
Don't be in a hurry to quote others
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by musicwriter(m): 10:23am On Mar 30, 2017
Of course, her parents were not educated themselves. Otherwise, how could they use Igbo to hide what they didn't want their children to hear? As far as I' am concerned, this is the climax of stupidly. The parents were trained to think like fools as they were simply mis-educated Africans, de-Africanized persons, Euro-Afro hybrid individuals. The parents are the real purpose of education in Africa.

The purpose of education in Africa is to de-Africanize you, to control what is knowable by us, to make you an intellectual slave looking up to white people for knowledge creation, in fact, to make you a fool - an educated fool.

Find data and watch this lecture and discussion by African-American professors in America. The first video talks about control of knowledge and what is knowable by black people, and also information that has been hiden away from black people via brainwashing education. In the second video they talked about how they discovered the foolery called education, they talk about mis-education of black people in general, slavery, colonialism, ancient Africa, e.t.c.

When Dr. Ivan Van realized he has been fooled with all his university degrees, he said "the worst thing that happened to us was not the physical slavery, but the nuclear bombing of the brain of black people". See videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRi7IoPjho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7k_oKWuWIQ

1 Like

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by musicwriter(m): 10:30am On Mar 30, 2017
igbofocus:
ignorant parents.............. we are gunning for the rebirth of NSIBIDI and AKAGU ....
i remeber showing my chinese lecture those nsibidi characters and how wowed she was!

its igbo or nothing.........................

and we are gonna make it happen!

I've been looking for where I could get the Nsidibi script. All I saw are images, not in text format. Do you know where I can get the text format? And may be a letter-by-letter match with the Latin script? Any information would be appreciated.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Ugosample(m): 10:34am On Mar 30, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Mother tongue is exclusively the obligation of the parents or guardians.
The schools should offer it as subjects.
Just agree that modern day parents are ignorant and careless

Not exactly true.
If you are not taught in a language for a while, it will not stick well...
If you like, let your parents speak it all the time, if you are not taught in it, at best, you will be at B1-B2 level in the CEFL ratings

Okay, what is the Igbo word for chemistry
Or the Yoruba word for Helium
Or the Ebira word for Astronomy

I hope you get my point
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:37am On Mar 30, 2017
Ugosample:
Let us also remember that the most successful ethnic group in the world (the jews) cannot speak Hebrew (well, most of them tho)
And most Chinese who grew up outside China cannot speak Chinese
But that does not make them less Jewish or Chinese.

Just saying

It's not true.
They all speak in their closets when they are outside China.
Even Mark Zuckerberg, a Jew can read and write Hebrew, he grew up in the USA
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Ugosample(m): 10:38am On Mar 30, 2017
murmee:
You must be joking. The Yorubas are very proud of their native, meaningful Yoruba names. How many Yorubas have you met bearing English names?

MANY MANY Yoruba people don't answer Yoruba names, stop living in denial...

David Oyedepo
Enoch Adeboye
Sam Adeyemi
And many others I will not bother to list.

Is Rauf a native Yoruba name
What of Rasheed Ladoja
What of the ones answering Fatai, moruf? Sikrat? Amina? Princess?

Just leave matter abeg

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Ugosample(m): 10:43am On Mar 30, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

It's not true.
They all speak in their closets when they are outside China.
Even Mark Zuckerberg, a Jew can read and write Hebrew, he grew up in the USA

Oga, MOST cannot speak.
And Mark Zuckerberg learnt Hebrew and Chinese himself, His grand parents were Jews from Austria, go and read him up.
Most children of Chinese immigrants in USA cannot speak Chinese, same with the Koreans, the Koreans are even worse.

Even in Onitsha there; how many second generation Chinese people there can speak Chinese grin grin
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 30, 2017
mccoy47:

THOSE ARE NOT IGBOS THAT U MET! if I have met 100 igbos in my life, 95% bear igbo names! Even me as an igbo guy, I DON'T HAVE AN ENGLISH NAME!
So go get ur stats right!
Nigga I'm an igbo person and he is saying the fvcking truth.. let's be honest.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by LecciGucci: 10:44am On Mar 30, 2017
cstr151:
I actually won't be surprised. I heard one overbleached igbo bimbo talking about how she would forbid her children speaking anything apart from pure correct English.
The very depth of human stupidity and the zenith of brilliance and rational thought can be found in the igbo race.
It becomes a serious problem when stupid people begin to outnumber rationality.

U are wrong this is a general problem in nigeria mot just ibos

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Patto5050(m): 10:45am On Mar 30, 2017
you dont know where you belong dear
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by LecciGucci: 10:46am On Mar 30, 2017
ReaLFuckingOG:

Nigga I'm an igbo person and he is saying the fvcking truth.. let's be honest.

Thats a fvckin lie i aint an ibo person and i kno countles number of ibo friends dat bear their full ibo name
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by TheVictorious(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2017
Why are Nigerians trooping in here to cry foul now, ain't we the same people that criticize and laugh at anyone that is trying to speak our local dialect. We're always fast to find fault, instead of encouraging the person.

Well, my advice to anyone is this: It is better to master your official language and not know your local dialect than to master your dialect and not know how to speak your official language very well, provided both actions are mutually exclusive. Except if the later is your source of employment!

And as a rule if you're one who constantly try to speak a local dialect I understand to me in office, I become very careful about you.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 30, 2017
LecciGucci:

Thats a fvckin lie i aint an ibo person and i kno countles number of ibo friends dat bear their full ibo name
Lol.. i don't know where u live but it's likely to be a rural area.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by LecciGucci: 10:59am On Mar 30, 2017
ReaLFuckingOG:

Lol.. i don't know where u live but it's likely to be a rural area.

Ur comments makes no sense as it has nothing to do with my comments.

For ur info i stay in lagos
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2017
LecciGucci:

Ur comments makes no sense as it has nothing to do with my comments.

For ur info i stay in lagos
Then u are lying! Even when i visited the universities in the east almost all was bearing a foreign name. Not to talk of lagos. Tah..

Or maybe u know just 2 igbo pple and coincidentally they both bear igbo names.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Monk92(m): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Your case ain't that of dynamism, you preach extinction.
You sound stupid with it.

Language comes and goes. If it is relevant enough it will survive if it is not, it dies off just like everyother thing else. I dont think dis warrants you tagging me 'stupid'. Have a nice day.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:44am On Mar 30, 2017
Ugosample:

Not exactly true.
If you are not taught in a language for a while, it will not stick well...
If you like, let your parents speak it all the time, if you are not taught in it, at best, you will be at B1-B2 level in the CEFL ratings

Okay, what is the Igbo word for chemistry
Or the Yoruba word for Helium
Or the Ebira word for Astronomy

I hope you get my point
So, if I don't know the igbo word for chemistry, that means I won't speak it?
You are saying sth else.
We should propagate our language and learn it formally in school
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Ugosample(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2017
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, if I don't know the igbo word for chemistry, that means I won't speak it?
You are saying sth else.
We should propagate our language and learn it formally in school

Oga, we are saying the same thing, you are just missing the point.

I said that for our languages to indeed last, we need to use it as a medium of education at least at the primary level, while English taught at that level, very well, then in secondary school switch it up, medium of instruction English, then the languages taught as a subject,

That way, words for Chemistry, Physics etc will all come up, and the language will be more real to the student.

What is the use of a language if it cannot be used to transfer knowledge

try reasoning along my drift
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Ugosample(m): 11:53am On Mar 30, 2017
Monk92:

Language comes and goes. If it is relevant enough it will survive if it is not, it dies off just like everyother thing else. I dont think dis warrants you tagging me 'stupid'. Have a nice day.

That is also true
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by DocHMD: 11:56am On Mar 30, 2017
Let me tell youy own story, my Dad usually admonished us to speak only English in the house because our yoruba neighbours were doing same.

But the stubborn rebel in me always thought it was awkward to speak the language spoken in school 'officially' at home. How can my house become as 'official' and 'formal' as my school. Mbanu!

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by LecciGucci: 11:57am On Mar 30, 2017
ReaLFuckingOG:

Then u are lying! Even when i visited the universities in the east almost all was bearing a foreign name. Not to talk of lagos. Tah..

Or maybe u know just 2 igbo pple and coincidentally they both bear igbo names.

U are d big liar here.... becox i pre-science in east years back.. which didnt favormy course of choice.
Befor coming lag

Even right here in my street atleast i ikno 4 ibo guys with local name.. i even tot one was yoruba coz he so look like them all these yoruba street guys.. till i hear som1 called him ikenna 1day
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Sammy07: 12:02pm On Mar 30, 2017
In igbo films,,, they speak 98% English & 2% igbo
in Yoruba films 98% Yoruba & 2% English
in Hausa films 100% Hausa.....
judge with these accessions
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Blackfire(m): 12:05pm On Mar 30, 2017
Each time I traveled home.... Men I love the poetry of words mixed with lyrics of proverbs.. The igbo culture and language is a dynamism...
Talk of the umunna arrangements... SO so democratic.

I am happy to be part igbo.
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by DocHMD: 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2017
kelly72:
I just came back from Igboland yesterday. I did not hear any English while there. Those who expect my language to go into extinction will have to die waiting up to their 20th generation, then Igbo will live on.

You really take that 'Igbo language will go into extinction' crap people type under their brown roofs in oshogbo serious?

I'm on ground in Anambra and the easiest way to identify a foreigner in this city (Nnewi) is when they speak pidgin or English. It Igbo everywhere, same in Enugu, Owerri, Aba, Abakiliki and all major Igbo cities. Even kids here rap in Igbo.

The brown roofians will have to find a way to stay alive for the next 4000 years if they must witness the extinction of Igbo language. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Sammy07: 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2017
and those saying some parents or people didn't here Yoruba...
agreed but it's in Lagos or Abuja....

come to ondo, ogun , oyo, Ekiti, osun...
99.4% hear and speak Yoruba.....

you'll even be taught your dialect,,,, if you lived and grow up in any of the states mentioned above...

so their is no way that you won't be able to speak Yoruba
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by Sammy07: 12:09pm On Mar 30, 2017
DocHMD:

You really take that 'Igbo language will go into extinction' crap people type under their brown roofs in oshogbo?

I'm on ground in Anambra and the easiest way to identify a foreigner in this city (Nnewi) is when they speak pidgin or English. It Igbo everywhere, same in Enugu, Owerri, Aba, Abakiliki and all major Igbo cities. Even kids here rap in Igbo.

The brown roofians will have to find a way to stay alive for the next 4000 years if they must witness the extinction of Igbo language. cheesy

if we are to choose between igbo & Yoruba,,, the language that will go on extinction 1st......

it is igbo
Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by DocHMD: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2017
Sammy07:

if we are to choose between igbo & Yoruba,,, the language that will go on extinction 1st......

it is igbo

I'll take you serious when you leave mud house in oshogbo and spend one week in an Igbo city. Let's see if you won't shout 'Why everybody just dey speak Ibo for here'.

Even some your brothers who are fashion designers and trado-medical practitioners from the deepest part kwara, Oyo and Osun don dey speak Igbo pass me sef. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Parents Banned Me From Speaking Igbo.. I Learnt From Yorubas ---T.N. Adaobi by DocHMD: 12:20pm On Mar 30, 2017
Ugosample:

Oga stop talking rubbish.

Most Igbo guys and girls too bear their Igbo names
Even tho there are others who don't hear Igbo names
Just say that most Igbo people THAT YOU HAVE MET don't bear Igbo names.

Besides, many Yoruba people I have met too dont bear Yoruba namea, but Christian names, and names like sikirat, Fatai, Ahmad, Yusuf etx (except you want to call Muslim names native names too)

So leave matter

Most yoruba muslims dump yoruba names for Arabic names like monsurudeen, Fatai, Lateef.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Honeymoon In Prison-reborn / REVENGE (an Action Thriller) / Eunice Atuejide: Chimamanda Adichie Is An Extremist, She's Misleading Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.