Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos (11058 Views)

162 Troops Desert Nigerian Army Within Last Week / NIGERIAN ARMY EMERGE WITH DESERT WARFARE OPERATIONAL VEHICLES / New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by cheikh: 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2010
It appears that Nigerians, especially those of them from the southern part of the country are afflicted with the 'tribalism' virus. It seems also that the 'Yoruba' are unfairly accused of being 'tribalistic' by other Nigerians/ neighbours, without actually understanding the source or reasons for such 'behaviour'. The 'Yoruba' geographically are 'victims' of the 'colonial' incursion/ settlement in Nigeria via 'Yorubaland' e.g. Much of the so-called economic 'development' and administration of Nigeria(civil-service)etc., schools/colleges were cited in Lagos/western region. The 'Yoruba' did not have the need/desire to travel to the hinterland/ beyond their region, besides travelling out of the country. Such a people inadvertently will beome 'victims' of circumstance having 'narrow' or 'skewed' view of the world around them. It's almost like expecting the 'English' to speak/learn a foreign language. After all it's the majority/dominant language of the ruling power that governed two-third of the world(British empire). The 'advantage' of the skewed colonial economic development of Nigeria have conspired in some perverse way, to make the indigene/ Yoruba - 'victims' because they did not have to reach out/ travel to other parts of Nigeria in search of- work, education or other reasons most 'Nigerians/ non-Yoruba, flock to Lagos in search of the proverbial 'golden fleece'. It's rare to encounter a 'Yoruba' who speaks other Nigerian languages and whenever you do, it's almost 'exotic' and interesting. I am not trying to make excuses for the 'Yoruba', or for 'small mindedness' or 'tribalistic' tendencies as perceived by 'non Yoruba'. If 'Yoruba' language is the majority/dominant language in Lagos/ environs , it's also natural, perhaps wrongly, to assume that everybody residing in Lagos speaks/understands the 'Yoruba' language as most people/ 'Yoruba' in Lagos are wont to assume. Is it not unfair to blame/accuse somebody who has never had the good fortune/misfortune to leave their 'home' for being parochial or 'tribal'? A little bit of understanding and empathy will go a long way in assuaging much of the pent up misunderstandings/misconceptions/ignorance of fellow Nigerians. Other Nigerians had reasons to migrate/gravitate towards Lagos since the colonial encounter and nothing much have changed except the moving of the administrative capital to Abuja.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by aljharem11(m): 8:17pm On Dec 28, 2010
cheikh:

It appears that Nigerians, especially those of them from the southern part of the country are afflicted with the 'tribalism' virus. It seems also that the 'Yoruba' are unfairly accused of being 'tribalistic' by other Nigerians/ neighbours, without actually understanding the source or reasons for such 'behaviour'. The 'Yoruba' geographically are 'victims' of the 'colonial' incursion/ settlement in Nigeria via 'Yorubaland' e.g. Much of the so-called economic 'development' and administration of Nigeria(civil-service)etc., schools/colleges were cited in Lagos/western region. The 'Yoruba' did not have the need/desire to travel to the hinterland/ beyond their region, besides travelling out of the country. Such a people inadvertently will beome 'victims' of circumstance having 'narrow' or 'skewed' view of the world around them. It's almost like expecting the 'English' to speak/learn a foreign language. After all it's the majority/dominant language of the ruling power that governed two-third of the world(British empire). The 'advantage' of the skewed colonial economic development of Nigeria have conspired in some perverse way, to make the indigene/ Yoruba - 'victims' because they did not have to reach out/ travel to other parts of Nigeria in search of- work, education or other reasons most 'Nigerians/ non-Yoruba, flock to Lagos in search of the proverbial 'golden fleece'. It's rare to encounter a 'Yoruba' who speaks other Nigerian languages and whenever you do, it's almost 'exotic' and interesting. I am not trying to make excuses for the 'Yoruba', or for 'small mindedness' or 'tribalistic' tendencies as perceived by 'non Yoruba'. If 'Yoruba' language is the majority/dominant language in Lagos/ environs , it's also natural, perhaps wrongly, to assume that everybody residing in Lagos speaks/understands the 'Yoruba' language as most people/ 'Yoruba' in Lagos are wont to assume. Is it not unfair to blame/accuse somebody who has never had the good fortune/misfortune to leave their 'home' for being parochial or 'tribal'? A little bit of understanding and empathy will go a long way in assuaging much of the pent up misunderstandings/misconceptions/ignorance of fellow Nigerians. Other Nigerians had reasons to migrate/gravitate towards Lagos since the colonial encounter and nothing much have changed except the moving of the administrative capital to Abuja.

God bless you, must nigerians do not know the yorubas,,,they think they are just tribal bigots

well i know they are fake muslims grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by dempeople(m): 9:13pm On Dec 28, 2010
Igbo Kwenu, Kwenu, Kwezuonu, Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin. I very much wish I'm back home as, I've been on the phone (calling home) throughout this xmas season but, stuck here in London  embarassed. There's a feeling of "renewal" that engages Ndigbo when they return home for xmas break, For peeps who don't 'get it', you must be "Nwa afor Igbo" to understand.  grin
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by johnstin(m): 12:36am On Dec 29, 2010
I'm an authentic yoruba man anytime anyday. I fervently pray God grants our ibo borthers and sisters journey mercies back home. No tribe is perfect: the yoruba, like the ibo have their flaws. But i would rather give prominence to the positive than the negative.
The ibos are very enterprising and ingenious. They contribute to the country's GDP than any other tribe. They are assets to the national economy.
Advice for ibos- be less desperate to make money.
Advice for yorubas- be ur brother's keeper and stop envying others.
Advice for hausas- teach ur people how to fish rather than giving them fish everyday.
Advice to nigerians- lets synchoronize and complement each other.
1uv.

2 Likes

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by AndreUweh(m): 12:40am On Dec 29, 2010
johnstin:

I'm an authentic yoruba man anytime anyday. I fervently pray God grants our IGBO borthers and sisters journey mercies back home. No tribe is perfect: the yoruba, like Ndigbo have their flaws. But i would rather give prominence to the positive than the negative.
Ndigbo are very enterprising and ingenious. They contribute to the country's GDP than any other tribe. They are assets to the national economy.
Advice for Ndigbo- be less desperate to make money.
Advice for yorubas- be your brother's keeper and stop envying others.
Advice for hausas- teach your people how to fish rather than giving them fish everyday.
1uv.
It shall be well with you.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by gogo13233: 8:59am On Dec 30, 2010
johnstin:

I'm an authentic yoruba man anytime anyday. I fervently pray God grants our ibo borthers and sisters journey mercies back home. No tribe is perfect: the yoruba, like the ibo have their flaws. But i would rather give prominence to the positive than the negative.
The ibos are very enterprising and ingenious. They contribute to the country's GDP than any other tribe. They are assets to the national economy.
Advice for yorubas- be your brother's keeper and stop envying others.
Advice for hausas- teach your people how to fish rather than giving them fish everyday.
1uv.
UDO DIRI GI,WE NEED MORE YORUBAS LIKE YOU
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 11:25pm On Dec 25, 2013
@@@@
johnstin(m): 12:36am On Dec 29, 2010
Advice for yorubas- be ur brother's keeper and stop envying others.
Advice for hausas- teach ur people how to fish rather than giving them fish everyday.
1uv.

now we are talking but the envy thing is purely genetics
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 6:23pm On Dec 26, 2013
LIVE
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by redsun(m): 7:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
Lagos tend to become a ghost town with the igbos out for christmas.A time when only the hard up igbos or the ones afraid of socalled village witches remains in lagos.

It is a sad time in lagos for those unfortunate to be caught up there at that time of the year.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by MayorofLagos(m): 8:16pm On Dec 26, 2013
cheikh: It appears that Nigerians, especially those of them from the southern part of the country are afflicted with the 'tribalism' virus. It seems also that the 'Yoruba' are unfairly accused of being 'tribalistic' by other Nigerians/ neighbours, without actually understanding the source or reasons for such 'behaviour'. The 'Yoruba' geographically are 'victims' of the 'colonial' incursion/ settlement in Nigeria via 'Yorubaland' e.g. Much of the so-called economic 'development' and administration of Nigeria(civil-service)etc., schools/colleges were cited in Lagos/western region. The 'Yoruba' did not have the need/desire to travel to the hinterland/ beyond their region, besides travelling out of the country. Such a people inadvertently will beome 'victims' of circumstance having 'narrow' or 'skewed' view of the world around them. It's almost like expecting the 'English' to speak/learn a foreign language. After all it's the majority/dominant language of the ruling power that governed two-third of the world(British empire). The 'advantage' of the skewed colonial economic development of Nigeria have conspired in some perverse way, to make the indigene/ Yoruba - 'victims' because they did not have to reach out/ travel to other parts of Nigeria in search of- work, education or other reasons most 'Nigerians/ non-Yoruba, flock to Lagos in search of the proverbial 'golden fleece'. It's rare to encounter a 'Yoruba' who speaks other Nigerian languages and whenever you do, it's almost 'exotic' and interesting. I am not trying to make excuses for the 'Yoruba', or for 'small mindedness' or 'tribalistic' tendencies as perceived by 'non Yoruba'. If 'Yoruba' language is the majority/dominant language in Lagos/ environs , it's also natural, perhaps wrongly, to assume that everybody residing in Lagos speaks/understands the 'Yoruba' language as most people/ 'Yoruba' in Lagos are wont to assume. Is it not unfair to blame/accuse somebody who has never had the good fortune/misfortune to leave their 'home' for being parochial or 'tribal'? A little bit of understanding and empathy will go a long way in assuaging much of the pent up misunderstandings/misconceptions/ignorance of fellow Nigerians. Other Nigerians had reasons to migrate/gravitate towards Lagos since the colonial encounter and nothing much have changed except the moving of the administrative capital to Abuja.

Your observation on Yoruba exposure outside Yorubaland is incorrect.

Yorubas do not travel to East. You will not find us across the Niger into Iboland and beyond but we are settled among the many cultures in Northern Nigeria and beyond and as well West Africa.

The notion that Yoruba does not travel beyond our boundary is a wrong one. Ibos dont see us in their land and assumed wrongly that we are not present in any other land.

It will be an interesting topic to trail the root of why Yoruba choosed to go everywhere else but Iboland.

3 Likes

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by MayorofLagos(m): 8:22pm On Dec 26, 2013
redsun: Lagos tend to become a ghost town with the igbos out for christmas.A time when only the hard up igbos or the ones afraid of socalled village witches remains in lagos.

It is a sad time in lagos for those unfortunate to be caught up there at that time of the year.

Lagos return to orderliness and sanity when Ibos are out. Yorubas are known for merriment and enterprise, your absence or presence does not stop our owambe, neither does it stop alhaji coming from Kano to buy kola, neither will it stop our exportation of cocoa.

Just be safe in iselle uku whem you get there and watch your back your kidnapping brothers are hungry for xmas money
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by redsun(m): 8:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Lagos return to orderliness and sanity when Ibos are out. Yorubas are known for merriment and enterprise, your absence or presence does not stop our owambe, neither does it stop alhaji coming from Kano to buy kola, neither will it stop our exportation of cocoa.

Just be safe in iselle uku whem you get there and watch your back your kidnapping brothers are hungry for xmas money

I agree it leaves the roads free for you guys to party,but obviously with little or no economic activities,especially for the area boys/girls that rely on begging and extortion for their livelihood.

The essence of lagos as a economically viable will be defeated without he igbos and even the malams.You guys need to accept that and see beyond the tribal veils.

1 Like

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by collynzo2(m): 9:03pm On Dec 26, 2013
redsun: Lagos tend to become a ghost town with the igbos out for christmas.A time when only the hard up igbos or the ones afraid of socalled village witches remains in lagos.

I am Igbo, but the Igbos need to make their land in such a way that the won't need to be migrating to Lagos in their millions anymore.
Enough of these empty boasts.

1 Like

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by redsun(m): 9:13pm On Dec 26, 2013
collynzo2: I am Igbo, but the Igbos need to make their land in such a way that the won't need to be migrating to Lagos in their millions anymore.
Enough of these empty boasts.

Lagos is a nigerian land that happens to be the federal commercial capital and once the ruling capital where all the hustlers want to be.

It is telling americans they shouldn't call new york their home because they were born south carolina or utah.Nigerian are too primitive to understand the term country,you just speak and right the Oyinbo given words but they hardly understand it.They makes no sense to them and that is why nothing is working
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

sometimes i wish that igbo absence from lagos would last for just 3 months just for you to see the speed with which your governors will rush to the east cap in hand begging them to return.
you think that owambe pays taxes.

1 Like

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by collynzo2(m): 9:26pm On Dec 26, 2013
re@lchange:

sometimes i wish that igbo absence from lagos would last for just 3 months just for you to see the speed with which your governors will rush to the east cap in hand begging them to return.
Rubbish empty boasts.
You guys need to change this mentality.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
collynzo2: Rubbish empty boasts.
You guys need to change this mentality.

it is not empty boasts
whether you believe it or not, that is why most yorubas get worked up anytime igbo talk about secession
or even something as basic as an international airport in enugu
that fear is real

1 Like

Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 26, 2013
Delusion of grandeur.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by Kingspin(m): 9:36pm On Dec 26, 2013
Vallo57: They are partaking in the annual migration(like the Wildebeast of East African plains). The return journey will be in few weeks before the erosion
swallow them up. Ode omo of Abakaliki.
You're talking ur own problem.
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by MayorofLagos(m): 9:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
redsun:

I agree it leaves the roads free for you guys to party,but obviously with little or no economic activities,especially for the area boys/girls that rely on begging and extortion for their livelihood.

The essence of lagos as a economically viable will be defeated without he igbos and even the malams.You guys need to accept that and see beyond the tribal veils.

Thank God its winter in Europe. White man must have his hot cocoa drink and savour the delightful taste of dark chocolate. Ships are loading their request at Apapa as you enjoy your xmas in isialanga. Alhaji must store and dry his kolanuts before end of harmattan and in time before the stimulant dependent farmer come for his gorro. Yoruba is always busy serving clients,domestic and international, they come to our land...you included! We are a world market. The exit of one is not disturbed by the entry of another.

God Bless Yorubaland for me!

Be safe and be on lookout for kidnappers. You dont have that problem in Lagos but now you have to look over your shoulder and worry about ending as parts in okija juju shrine. Shame!
Re: Xmas: Igbos Desert Lagos by MayorofLagos(m): 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
re@lchange:

Owambe has been part of our culture back when our Obas taxed their tributaries. We are a blessed people. We no longer have tributaries, we have evolved a new way of exacting fund and its called economic mules, imported to make a living locally on our land and fund the wealth and needs of our people. Owambe shall never stop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Akpabio Inaugurates Phase II Of Ibom International Airport / why biafra bank diamond and fidelity banks dont employ yorubas / Another Set Of Elders Back Ogah, Demand Ogah's Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.