Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (20700 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Ty207: 11:47am On Dec 30, 2009
I remember is swagger doing campaign "trust me i promise a Brighter,Rewarding Future!" BRF.
Eko oni baje o!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by nateevs(m): 11:58am On Dec 30, 2009
A big thanks to Ashiwaju Ahmed Tinubu for introducing BRF. . God Bless you!

But stop! That's were the flipping glorification ends. Right there. I can't stand people who attribute the successes of BRF with Tinubu. This guy started work from day one he was sworn into office.
Tinubu had 8 years. Was Lagos better or worse off under Tinubu. . . The feckiing ploncker did nada. . and now rides on the back of a successful man all because he introduced him? Spare us the rubbish!

Ok. . That's off my chest.

I understand Nigerians have far too long been drenched in massive doses of "Will dos" from politicians and come end of their tenure we remain worse. This Man however is a technocrat. You can just tell things will happen. Loads of people will be sceptical as past experiences do no justice to the incumbent. I am one of the enthusiasts though and even more about Lagos. I believe the rail will be completed. Why? well so far BRF has taken all projects he's embarked to more than half or completion. Plus his ideas are not just mainstream but innovative. Maybe not to people that live in the western world at least to the common Lagosian who year after year expects nada from the politicians.

Work has started on the Badagry 10 lane express-way (gateway) and the blue line of the Lagos rail is going to look like this on it.

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by nateevs(m): 12:02pm On Dec 30, 2009
And some one says the dude is not working.
As reported in the Vanguard with pictures demolition has started . .
Even the famous Eleganza is going. .

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/07/28/badagry-road-expansion-shock-as-bulldozers-storm-orile/

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by nateevs(m): 12:07pm On Dec 30, 2009
What the Red line and BRT will look like in Ikeja.

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by edoyad(m): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2009
Please any one with a link or info on the man called Fashola should please post it. I want to read about him.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Kay17: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2009
the social cost is too high. in a democracy, people should have a guaranteed right to property, are we living in military era?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by nateevs(m): 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2009
Unbelievable!

So because people have built houses in the way of development we should let them be because of "Social cost" . .
A 70km drive from the borders of Nigeria (Badagry end) down to Mile 2 could take you 3 hours on a day you are very lucky. On the not so lucky days, those that have driven past can tell you. . I just came down the M1 a few minutes ago from Nottingham to London and an equivalent of the 70km drive in Nigeria took me only 45mins at national speed limit. I could do it 35mins if I drove at 90miles/hr and we are talking about social cost.

How about the social advantage of working in Cotonou and living in Mile 2 and being able to do a round trip in less than 2 hours. .?

How about the economic advantage of cross border trade amongst numerous others that can't be highlighted now?

How environmental advantages of reducing CO2 exhaust from traffic build up over 70km . . ?

The cost of bringing down houses is a small price to pay to pave way for a flurry of advantages most of which will benefit the common man whose front yard was brought down in the first place. Plus I read the LASG gave out financial compensation to the affected.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Fhemmmy: 3:33pm On Dec 30, 2009
I cant wait to see what this will looking, then, i will be able to talk
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by chiscoaz(m): 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
hope say they no go pack us like sadine, well its a good news for everyone, fashola keep up the good work, but alaye boys,abbeg no disturb the work with una trouble, and for future lagosian,make una try keep the train neat, no be say for night,una go convert am to toilet, lol, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked sad angry grin grin.cheers
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by rabzy: 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2009
nateevs:

A big thanks to Ashiwaju Ahmed Tinubu for introducing BRF. . God Bless you!

But stop! That's were the flipping glorification ends. Right there. I can't stand people who attribute the successes of BRF with Tinubu. This guy started work from day one he was sworn into office.
Tinubu had 8 years. Was Lagos better or worse off under Tinubu. . . The feckiing ploncker did nada. . and now rides on the back of a successful man all because he introduced him? Spare us the rubbish!

Ok. . That's off my chest.

I understand Nigerians have far too long been drenched in massive doses of "Will dos" from politicians and come end of their tenure we remain worse. This Man however is a technocrat. You can just tell things will happen. Loads of people will be sceptical as past experiences do no justice to the incumbent. I am one of the enthusiasts though and even more about Lagos. I believe the rail will be completed. Why? well so far BRF has taken all projects he's embarked to more than half or completion. Plus his ideas are not just mainstream but innovative. Maybe not to people that live in the western world at least to the common Lagosian who year after year expects nada from the politicians.

Work has started on the Badagry 10 lane express-way (gateway) and the blue line of the Lagos rail is going to look like this on it.

nateevs:

Unbelievable!

So because people have built houses in the way of development we should let them be because of "Social cost" . .
A 70km drive from the borders of Nigeria (Badagry end) down to Mile 2 could take you 3 hours on a day you are very lucky. On the not so lucky days, those that have driven past can tell you. . I just came down the M1 a few minutes ago from Nottingham to London and an equivalent of the 70km drive in Nigeria took me only 45mins at national speed limit. I could do it 35mins if I drove at 90miles/hr and we are talking about social cost.

How about the social advantage of working in Cotonou and living in Mile 2 and being able to do a round trip in less than 2 hours. .?

How about the economic advantage of cross border trade amongst numerous others that can't be highlighted now?

How environmental advantages of reducing CO2 exhaust from traffic build up over 70km . . ?

The cost of bringing down houses is a small price to pay to pave way for a flurry of advantages most of which will benefit the common man whose front yard was brought down in the first place. Plus I read the LASG gave out financial compensation to the affected.

You've got my mind bro, well said man, well said
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by rabzy: 5:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
Dsampler:

Instead of everybody standing on the side line saying "Thank you Fasola", everybody should be writng the man a letter to ask what they can do to help him with these huge projects. Its so easy to fold you arms & say "Thank You" and then go back to your Gari & okro soup (with extra dry fish & big big meat, eating with dat ya dirty fingers wey you never wash since you commot from the latrine). He doesn't need your thank yous, he needs your contributions. So, call him! write him! and ask how you can help. You could do something as little as paying your Taxes. It all adds up.

Maybe if you can let us know how we can reach him or his commissioners or somebody that can actually assess the info given and do something about it and i pay a heavy tax too about 20% of what i earn
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by gaby(m): 12:53pm On Dec 31, 2009
A great and laudable move by the people's Governor.But we need to take time out to think about what the trains will be running on are they going to be generator-powered or coal-ran.

How about the issue of ticket controls and minimizing train jumpers,i could help them to that regards on how to curtail jumpers cos i used to be a professional train jumper in my hey days.

Ensuring and maintaining security on the lines should be another issue to be looked into.

All in all a good move though and thumbs up to Gov Fash.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by IG: 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2010
Don't you guys think that Fashola should be made to run for president? Ok maybe after a second term in Lagos. I couldn't think of anybody better. First of all he is a young man whose ideas would be more in tune with our times. Secondly politician cannot play the religion card against him in the North since he is a Muslim. I also do not think that non-Yoruba Southerners will have any reason not to vote for him. The only problem will the super rigging machine called PDP.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by heilige(m): 8:16pm On Jan 01, 2010
Fashola is not yet ripe for the presidency. He needs to prove himself beyond reasonable doubt with second term. I believe if he does that, he should then consider the presidency, for a landslide.

Apart from that, according to USA's 2015 prediction about 9ja, the wont be 9ja as a nation. So maybe fashola will contest for the president of the ODUA Nation.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by AfroCynic: 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2010
Fashola does not need to serve a second time as Governor. He is ripe for the job of president! Obama was only two years in the senate before he ran for POTUS. There is no other candidate that has got a track record like BRF. I will vote for him should he grow the balls to run!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Choco5: 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2010
This is how they were screamin ' DORA FOR PRESIDENT' Now she's in another post and they want her head on a plate.
Allow the man do his job ooooo
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by strangleyo: 11:27pm On Jan 01, 2010
AfroCynic:

Fashola does not need to serve a second time as Governor. He is ripe for the job of president! Obama was only two years in the senate before he ran for POTUS. There is no other candidate that has got a track record like BRF. I will vote for him should he grow them to run!

Who says Obama will be a good president?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by YME4(m): 1:03am On Jan 02, 2010
Nice initiative, but wait, I'm I the only one absolutely disgusted by the proposed name of these line?

I mean, what is blue line, red line and pink line.

Is this female Kindergarten project?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by AfroCynic: 1:24am On Jan 02, 2010
Y.M.E:

Nice initiative, but wait, I'm I the only one absolutely disgusted by the proposed name of these line?

I mean, what is blue line, red line and pink line.

Lol see people o! So if the name na kindergarten name, you no go enter am? Shey na the name we go chop abi na the service we need?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Pifa: 1:31am On Jan 02, 2010
Y.M.E:

Nice initiative, but wait,  I'm I the only one absolutely disgusted by the proposed name of these line?

I mean,  what is blue line, red line and pink line.

It’s a common nomenclature all over to world to apply color designations to the routes run by municipal transit. Besides it makes it easy for people to identify which trains they will connect to, if there is no direct train line to their destination.

What would you rather they call the lines?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Pifa: 1:40am On Jan 02, 2010
gaby:

A great and laudable move by the people's Governor.But we need to take time out to think about what the trains will be running on are they going to be generator-powered or coal-ran.
. . .

No one makes coal-fired locomotives anymore. The trains will most likely have diesel engines. I say diesel because the other alternative is electrified rail lines (track or overhead cables). But given the electricity situation in Lagos, I am not sure the authorities would choose this mode.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by strangleyo: 2:21am On Jan 02, 2010
Pifa:

No one makes coal-fired locomotives anymore. The trains will most likely have diesel engines. I say diesel because the other alternative is electrified rail lines (track or overhead cables). But given the electricity situation in Lagos, I am not sure the authorities would choose this mode.

Flintstones.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by YME4(m): 3:38pm On Jan 03, 2010
Pifa:

It’s a common nomenclature all over to world to apply color designations to the routes run by municipal transit. Besides it makes it easy for people to identify which trains they will connect to, if there is no direct train line to their destination.

What would you rather they call the lines?

I agree in the lines being colour-coded. It is the norm as you said "makes it easy for people to identify which trains they will connect to". But literally naming them after the colours, i am not so sure about. But having said that, I am not an expert in transportation or any project of the sort. So, if I am wrong, I concede.

Shey them go paint d trains too in the colours after which they are named? grin grin
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by bombay: 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2010
Fashola for president
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2010
Before the end of January, everything'll be clearer for the doubters
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Pifa: 11:37pm On Jan 03, 2010
Y.M.E:

I agree in the lines being colour-coded. It is the norm as you said "makes it easy for people to identify which trains they will connect to". But literally naming them after the colours, i am not so sure about. But having said that, I am not an expert in transportation or any project of the sort. So, if I am wrong,  I concede.

Shey them go paint d trains too in the colours after which they are named? grin grin

Look at it this way: Let's say your dear grandparents (no insult intended and I'll explain later) use the same medicine but different dosage. Since you're picking up their prescription for them like the beloved grandson you are, the pharmacy offers you two options:

Option one uses the same color medicine bottle for grandpa's and grandma's prescriptions, and put their respective names on the bottles as mandated by law.

Option two will color code each bottle according to each patient's favorite color as well as the mandatory printing of their names on the medicine bottles.

In your opinion, which option offers the lesser chance that grandpa and grandma will mix up their medicines?

This may seem like an elementary exercise, but it offers a short insight into what makes good industrial design.

Now the reason I used this example is that a similar incident happened in the US except for the grandson and favorite color parts. Those are my embellishments. Target Stores, one of the largest department stores in the US started offing the color coded medicine bottles after the grandparent of an employee took an overdose of a medicine he/she shared with the other grandparent. Target used to run that radio and TV commercials when the company first introduced the color-coding option.

Question:
What’s the big deal painting the rail cars different colors anyway? I curious to know: why does it disturb you? Lagos already has color coded buses. The red colored LAGBUS and the blue ones that belong to LASTMA.

Darn. I’ve written so many words on a trivial subject.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by VALIDATOR: 11:58am On Jan 04, 2010
@nateevs,
while I undoubtedly believe that BRF's achievements in a single term has already surpassed that of Tinubu's 2 terms, I will like you to also ponder on the following:

1. Tinubu took over from the military. So,there was really no working system in place. He built a system that can work and BRF coming on board had something real to work with. LASTMA, LAWMA,BRT, LASUTH,etc are all systems that BRF inherited functioning.
2.Tinubu had a lot of political battle to fight toward the end of his first term. All other south-west states lost to PDP. Tinubu defended Lagos from the sharks.You don't know how difficult that is pally?
3. During his 2nd term, Federal Government withheld allocations to Lagos State for years. Tinubu made it possible for people to know that you can run a state with internally generated revenue ONLY. F,uck FG allocation. Hence Fashola coming on board already understands the workability of internally generated revenue in Lagos.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 2:57pm On Jan 04, 2010
VALIDATOR:

@nateevs,
while I undoubtedly believe that BRF's achievements in a single term has already surpassed that of Tinubu's 2 terms, I will like you to also ponder on the following:

1. Tinubu took over from the military. So,there was really no working system in place. He built a system that can work and BRF coming on board had something real to work with. LASTMA, LAWMA,BRT, LASUTH,etc are all systems that BRF inherited functioning.
2.Tinubu had a lot of political battle to fight toward the end of his first term. All other south-west states lost to PDP. Tinubu defended Lagos from the sharks.You don't know how difficult that is pally?
3. During his 2nd term, Federal Government withheld allocations to Lagos State for years. Tinubu made it possible for people to know that you can run a state with internally generated revenue ONLY. F,uck FG allocation. Hence Fashola coming on board already understands the workability of internally generated revenue in Lagos.

You are right.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by jaso1(m): 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2010
With what is on ground when it come to performance one will never mistake most respected, adorable worth emulating Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN for wrong, idiot most stupid leaders which you and i apparently know.
Kudos to this intelligent man as he continue dusting my face with supprice. May Almighty Allah continue his existence in your life, Lagosian will not betrayed you as you did not. you merit all the appraisal who ever chooses otherwise should go to hell. Oluwa a duro ti yin 000, ! ILU EKO O DE NI BAJE OO.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Kay17: 4:05pm On Jan 05, 2010
nateevs:

Unbelievable!

thats extremely callous. you want an individual's life efforts to vanish so you could cruise about town more often? c'mon, this is nigeria, an underdeveloped country where two-thirds live under a dollar. fashola is irresponsible, people deserve better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thousands March Against Boko Haram In Niger / Tinubu Inherited Dead Economy, CBN Under Buhari Printed Money Illegally – Soludo / Why Are Ibo Billionaires Not Contributing To Covid 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.