Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros (28439 Views)

Kingsley Moghalu Under Fire For Referring To Igbos As ‘nigerian Igbo’ / Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Who Captured And Sold The Igbos As Slaves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by Ikeg: 9:55pm On Apr 13, 2017
mercyville:
Every moment, men, women and even children passed me. One would be carrying a human leg on his shoulder, another would be carrying the lungs or the heart of some unfortunate Kroo-boy in his or her hands. Several times I myself was offered my choice of one of these morsels, dripping with gore. MEN,WOMEN,EVERYBODY!!!A WHOLE NATION,IGBO NATION OF CANNIBALS-CARRYING HEADS,LEGS,SHOULDERS--DRIPPING WITH GORE--BLOOD!!! YEPA!!! NO WONDER THEY STILL HAVE FACTORY BABIES!! http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/nigeria.html

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oh this is getting pitiful.

The same way this fool thinks Okirika are igbo, the buffon equally thinks Bafum-Bansaw are Igbo.

Curious do you even READ what you quote or you just flat out clueless on everything grin grin grin grin grin

Free education in display everyone. Free education

Much cruelty was practised among certain of these tribes. For example, the Bafum-Bansaw, who frequently tortured their prisoners before putting them to death. Palm-oil was boiled in a big pot, and then by means of a gourd enema it was pumped into the bowels and stomachs of the prisoners. This practice was said to make the bodies much more succulent than they would otherwise have been. The bodies were left until the palm-oil had permeated them, and then cut up and devoured...
P. A. Talbot, Southern Nigeria, Clarendon Press, 1926 (3 vols.).

Every moment, men, women and even children passed me. One would be carrying a human leg on his shoulder, another would be carrying the lungs or the heart of some unfortunate Kroo-boy in his or her hands. Several times I myself was offered my choice of one of these morsels, dripping with gore.

From your own link
http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/nigeria.html grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by Ikeg: 10:00pm On Apr 13, 2017
mercyville:
Every moment, men, women and even children passed me. One would be carrying a human leg on his shoulder, another would be carrying the lungs or the heart of some unfortunate Kroo-boy in his or her hands. Several times I myself was offered my choice of one of these morsels, dripping with gore
Father Bubendorf of Freiburg, an eye-witness to the slaughter of a group of captives outside the hut of a tribal chief, Onitsha, Nigeria, c. 1921. http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/nigeria.html

Thanks for telling me about Okirika and Bafum-Bansaw. When will you quote about igbo? grin grin grin

Anyway
Precolonial
Most Ogboni rituals involved the sacrificing of animals, but according to Morton-Williams, some rituals used to include forced suicide, poisoning, human sacrifice and cannibalism

21st century

He said hiscorpse was handed over to the �odis' (slaves) who treated it like that of a criminal. They took bits and pieces of his remains for their own use while some parts were distributed to the four corners of the town.

When a king dies, they say they have to give his heart to his successor on the throne to eat.

A Nigerian man who confessed to killing his boss and making pepper soup with her body parts was arrested on Wednesday, police said.Salifu Ojo, a 23-year-old farm labourer in southwest Ondo state, killed Christiana Elijah, a 40-year-old mother of four, after a dispute over his pay.

He chopped off her head, hands and legs, then removed her internal organs which he used as ingredients for his soup, police said.

https://www.modernghana.com/news/20540/man-kills-boss-turns-her-into-pepper-soup.html

What do one expect from Savage barbarians whom almost whipped themselves out of existence if not for Europeans intervening.

Barbarians that still walked around, cannibalize and human hunt for rituals scarifice in 21st century.

Pity the barbaric 21st century savages grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by peterpan1111: 10:20pm On Apr 13, 2017
The error lies in the judgement of a whole community over the cruel doings of individuals. Go past in the history of any culture and you will find more or less a time when barbaric behavior was part of rites, "jurisdiction" or warfare. Thats not the point. Canibalism happens all over the world. The difference is when its part of practisiced culture or remnants of an long lost religion. And I disagree that there is a nation or people that do exactly that: large scale, ritualized canibalism without swift and proper punishment and disgrace by the majority of the community in wich that happened.
Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by YonkijiSappo: 8:39am On Apr 14, 2017
Hhahaha, Yeebhoes are still commenting on this topic, even after all my initial exposure?
Don't y'all make me come back here in full force o.

Naturally speaking, Yorubas are not your mates AT ALL, not on any level. Civilization is what has now bridged the gap between us a bit.
Ibibios aren't even your mates, not to talk of Yorubas!

Once again, Yorubas aren't your contemporaries. Go to the bantu and pygmy tribes of central Africa to find your playmates there.

Mind you, Igalas are Yoruba by all account. That same clothing and cotton that we both introduced to your barbarian folk is called OWU by both Yoruba and Igala.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by mercyville: 11:46am On Apr 14, 2017
Ikeg:

Thanks for telling me about Okirika and Bafum-Bansaw. When will you quote about igbo? grin grin grin

Anyway

Every moment, men, women and even children passed me. One would be carrying a human leg on his shoulder, another would be carrying the lungs or the heart of some unfortunate Kroo-boy in his or her hands. Several times I myself was offered my choice of one of these morsels, dripping with gore.
MEN,WOMEN,EVERYBODY!!!A WHOLE NATION,IGBO NATION OF CANNIBALS-CARRYING HEADS,LEGS,SHOULDERS--DRIPPING WITH GORE--BLOOD!!! YEPA!!! NO WONDER THEY STILL HAVE FACTORY BABIES!!

Father Bubendorf of Freiburg, an eye-witness to the slaughter of a group of captives (maybe more than 1000 captives,who knows.I learnt they always lick away the sweat as an appetiser grin )outside the hut of a tribal chief, Onitsha, Nigeria, c. 1921.

NOTE:Just think about the number of years these Igbo cannibals have been eating people and for God s sake until 1921.Little wonder they could not think about clothings and were all over the place pouncing naked on defenceless people to munch.What barbarism

Mention has already been made (Chap. V.) of the great
mortality amongst children. The law of the survival of
the fittest continues to operate in later years, and the
susceptibility to fall out of the ranks is very marked
amongst the youth of the country. It is extraordinary
how the young people die off, pneumonia and dysentery
being responsible for great numbers of deaths.
http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/nigeria.html

Among the Ibos of Nigeria, an account of the curious & interesting habits, customs, & beliefs of a little known African people by one who has for many years lived amongst them on close & intimate terms
by Basden, George Thomas, 1873-1944

Published 1921
Topics Igbo (African people)

Nor were these fears groundless. Cannibalism, human
sacrifices and other savage customs were real facts, and
flourished within five miles of the outskirts of Onitsha,
and no one would dare swear that the inhabitants of even
that town were all entirely innocent ! It is well within
living memory that human sacrifices were offered, the
death and burial of a king or notable chief being the most
usual occasions.

At one period I was living in a tiny hut set up in the
bush some five miles east of Onitsha surrounded by a
number of towns. Between two of these there was a feud
of long standing. At intervals war broke out in earnest.

1 and 2 See Chapter XXII for a description of these Societie .

38 THE IBO COUNTRY

During the last campaign one party captured, and after-
wards ate, seven of their opponents, whilst the other party
secured only four victims.

...On one occasion I was resting outside my hut when a
man of unprepossessing appearance came along and
entered into conversation. His eldest son, then a small
lad, had been placed by his father in the care of a mis-

THE IBO COUNTRY 39

sionary, in order that he might receive instruction. In
the course of his remarks he solemnly asserted that it
would be of great benefit to his son if he were provided
with human flesh sometimes as part of his diet. He
maintained that, if this were done, a proper man's spirit
would develop in the lad.The majority of the carriers employed for the soldiers
were Onitsha men, and this is the story related concerning
some of them. After some preliminary fighting, the
troops entered Awkuzu and settled into camp. When all
was apparently quiet a party of carriers considered the
time was opportune for them to secure their share of the
loot, and they went away bent on plunder. But the Awku-
zus were wily men. They had anticipated the move and
had planned a deliberate trap for possible looters. Some
goats were placed in one of the compounds and the Awku-
zus secreted themselves in the neighbourhood. Presently
the gang of carriers arrived, attracted by the goats, and
they walked right into the ambush. Some fought their
way back to camp, but seventeen were left dead or alive,
in the hands of the Awkuzu braves. The story is that of
these the dead were eaten first, and later the wounded
followed the fate of their comrades. Those who were
uninjured were trussed up like fowls, and in this way kept
until required.

Towards the south, cannibal tendencies assumed a
worse aspect. All that has been said hitherto relates to
the prevalent custom of feasting upon captives taken in

40 THE 1BO COUNTRY

war. In the southern districts a regular traffic in human
flesh was carried on. Strangers were caught, or slaves
purchased, with the deliberate intention of converting
them into food. Human flesh was a marketable com-
modity, and a common article of diet. It is not long
since a certain chief managed to get possession of one of
his opponents against whom he had a grudge of long
standing. He derived satisfaction from first lopping off
the captive's ears and nose, and then flaying him alive.
The carcase was eaten and the skin converted into a drum-
head.

There is not a shadow of doubt that, could the history
of the Ibo country be clearly traced, a host of suchlike
stories would have to be recorded. I have become ac-
quainted with many erstwhile cannibals, and quite good-
natured folk most of them are. One week-end I was stay-
ing at a town a few miles S.E. of Onitsha. My quarters
were very circumscribed, the only accommodation available
being a tiny thatched lean-to shed against the compound
wall, usually occupied by the goats and fowls. My boys
and carriers shared the limited accomodation, lying at
night alongside the camp-bed. After the evening meal,
we settled down for the night, long before our customary
bedtime ; consequently the men chattered freely. Pre-
sently I became interested in the conversation, and
amongst other items of news, gathered that they had all
had a share in cannibal feasts.

At first they were reticent, but gradually they opened
out and announced what they considered to be the choicest
tit-bits ; these, they affirmed, were the knuckles.

https://archive.org/stream/amongibosofniger00basd/amongibosofniger00basd_djvu.txt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by Basic123: 12:00pm On Apr 14, 2017
koladebrainiac:
guy sharap. itwas only Awolowo strategy that defeated you guys insane war. just control the flow of food supply n currency. u guys surrendered. lmaoo. start another war if u like now? common u guys are so low thinking mehn
lolz...na so,then the cowardly ojukwu absconded without his followers.If I were to be one of his followers,I will kill him immediately he returned.very selfish!!!!!!!
Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by cbravo2: 7:47am On Dec 23, 2017
This study was carried out to identify and explain the religious and developmental impact of trade as a missionary tool to the southwest region of Nigeria for religion and development. Important towns like Lagos and Ibadan where given greater attention of study to discover the presence and impact of Igbos in the southwest.
this an incomplete article, it’s a product of a high quality project work researched work.follow the link bellow to read the complete project
Igbo Traders as a Missionary Tool in South Western Nigeria
Re: Why the white Missionaries described Igbos As superior Negros by holicupp(m): 5:41pm On Dec 20, 2021
cc: purefacti

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ibadan Mogajis Query Tinubu’s Interest In Oyo Guber Race / Fresh Crisis Looms In Rivers Amaechi Hold LG Polls On May 23, PDP Against Move / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Osinbajo Drags Sahara Reporters To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.