Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,812 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? (2456 Views)

Does It Really Matter How A Man Proposes? (Snapshot) / Does Courtship Duration Guarantee Successful Marriage? / How Long Does Courtship Suppose To Last Before Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by skonwea(m): 12:04am On Dec 10, 2005
Does courtship really matter in a relationship? And for how long you someone have a courtship in a relationship?
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Swish(m): 12:17am On Dec 10, 2005
i personally think courtship is important in any relationship....although you never really know your partner 100% even after marriage. duration of courtship depends extensively on both partners if you ask me...although one to two in my view maybe a little too short. i think long period of courtship say 3 to 5 years helps bulid the character of both partners and their interaction with each other.
Long distance relationship are out of the window for me.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Oracle(m): 2:53am On Dec 10, 2005
it depends on the kind of relationship u are keeping,
if it involves marriage it definitely requires courtship
i mean u need to know who u are getting married to
so u dont keep a monster in the house and call the person
ur husband or wife

Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Renike(f): 4:29am On Dec 10, 2005
ofcourseeee!!!!!
and prayer oo
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by layi(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2005
Courtship is important. 5-8yrs is enough to a know a whole lot about some1.

Long distance relationship hardly work. What kind of relationship would i have wit someone i barely see. Are we telepals?
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 10, 2005
Courtship is important. 5-8yrs is enough to a know a whole lot about someone.

5-8 yrs? just to know someone? won't you get bored?
anyway, i agree that courtship is important in a relationship, i would advocate at least 1 yr and at most 2-3yrs before u get married. that way you have a very good idea of who you will be married to forever. and not forgeting that prayer is the most important, pple change overnight!

long distance relationships? perish the idea my friend. it does not work except in a very few cases. how do u sustain a love for someone you never see not minding that u come in contact with potentially better pple everyday around you?
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by IAH(f): 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2005
5-8 years is too long! shocked shocked I would say 1-3 years. Let's hear what others have to say about this.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Seun(m): 6:32pm On Dec 10, 2005
If a woman starts courtship at 22, and after 8 years of being together they decide to break up, she will be 28 and desperately single. For the next courtship, she won't have up to 8 years to make up her mind, because she wil be in a hurry.

So it is best to make your decision as quickly as possible.. 1 to 2 years should be enough. After 6 months to 2 years, you should know whether the person is good enough for you or if you should date or court someone else. It is not how long but how well, and long courtships are simply inefficient for those who don't double-date.

Personally, I am using this time to learn a lot about myself and what I really want in life. Once I know this, and as I interact with female friends, it will become easy for me to tell if a woman is right for me or not. I won't need more than 4-6 months but of course I will still want to wait for 1-2 years before marriage.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 10, 2005
i think i would prefer to stick to the 1-2 yr courtship because it is evident to me that one of the most important ingredients in a good marriage or relationship aside from love is friendship. you don't develop a mutual friendship with someone u meet in 2-3 months. it takes time to build.

like it or not, the thrill of marriage is over within 2 yrs (even shorter for men) and if the courtship period did not involve time to build a mutual trust and friendship btw both parties, it is not unlikely that such a marriage is doomed.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by prettyH(f): 7:58pm On Dec 10, 2005
Yes i do think courtship os necessary as well as important but the lenght depends on the individuals involved.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by ProfBills(m): 8:31pm On Dec 10, 2005
Oh yes!every couple needs to court before they get married, so they can really know whom they are. I personally think the period of courtship depends largely on the individuals descretion, but i may suggest two years is a good period. But in general, anything short of one year, should be considered as infatuation, not love. And doom is closely iminent
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Ezee(m): 9:05pm On Dec 10, 2005
Are you sure of what you are saying?
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Greatpeter(m): 10:00pm On Dec 10, 2005
If there is no courship how we they know themselves and understand themselves?
I believe it is important.
As to know your dos and don'ts.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by babubabus: 12:38pm On Dec 15, 2005
Courtship is quite imperative.you really do need to know who your future partner is before you get hooked you know
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by enchantra(f): 6:13pm On Dec 18, 2005
i think courtship is very important in a relationship becos... this is the time when you know more about eachother, TRY to understand the bad habits and see if you can deal with it on the long run,

but more of all how can you BUY a ride when you can't take it on a spin first.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Oracle(m): 1:23am On Dec 19, 2005
All iv gotta say is 4 marriage courtship is highly required
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by yemstrad(f): 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2005
enchantra:

i think courtship is very important in a relationship because... this is the time when you know more about eachother, TRY to understand the bad habits and see if you can deal with it on the long run,

but more of all how can you BUY a ride when you can't take it on a spin first.

But ladies nowadays can pretend for long i.e. hide their true colour untill after they're married, thereby rendering coutship before marriage relatively ineffective. I said ladies 'cos it's more prevalent with them.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by prettyH(f): 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2005
So it is guys that are not fake during courtship?
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Renike(f): 4:49am On Jan 18, 2006
@prettyH
lol, i like dat question...
but if a courtship is long enough, there is no way one can hide forever..u wld be getting bits of the character...
and yeah, God's help is needed too cos someppl can just tell from a dream ..mmm
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by creamdream: 6:26pm On Mar 16, 2007
B4?courtship is too important to be ignored, the duration depends on the people involved and what you are looking for!!
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by orp: 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2007
courtship is the cultivation of relationship which will eventually culminate into marriage.In the process of courtship you get to know a lot about one another and you wouldn't have any cause to say had I known when you are in the marriage proper
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Free(f): 6:07pm On Mar 17, 2007
yea is important
if U planing on marriage

2-3yrs of courtship is enuff grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by Busta(f): 6:37pm On Mar 17, 2007
@topic

yes and no

yes in the sense that u really get to know someone more b4 u make a big mistake cos pple do change.

no, most courtship end at nuthin.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by whiteNkem(f): 7:13pm On Mar 17, 2007
I really think courtship is useful, necessary, helpful; all you wanna call it. You get to know the other person better, you take it all step by step as it is supposed to be. Not rushing into anything, you'll both be more secure of what you have. Therefore, you will have a strong ground on which to build something even stronger. 2-3 years is enough I'd say.
Good luck! wink
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by orp: 7:18pm On Mar 19, 2007
Busta

people do change right? don't let her know you are studying her and character is like a smoke you cannot cover it.
Re: Does Courtship Really Matter in a Relationship? by nigboy(m): 7:06pm On Apr 28, 2008
Yes! Courtship is very important before marriage. Its a good that you know each other before marriage

(1) (Reply)

Have You Being Snubbed By A Girl before? Share Your Ordeal. / You Should Read This If You Want To Be A Good Wife / My Hot Neighbour I Like Her But She Speaks French

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.