Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? (12930 Views)

The Holy Stairs Jesus Climbed Before Crucifixion Unveiled After 300 Years (Pics) / Catholics Stage The Crucifixion Of Jesus At Ojo Alaba, Lagos (Photos) / Catholic Church Staging The Crucifixion Of Jesus At The University Of Uyo (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 16, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:

It's to show the greatest humility and love the world had and would ever know.

If only you knew how tiny this earth is in the solar system, not to talk of our galaxy or milky way.

By the way, there was no need for God to impress anybody with his humility. Thinking like that shows you're reasoning with your human mind and indirectly disrespecting God.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 11:48am On Apr 16, 2017
aalangel:

That means you don't understand your question.

I didn't ask you any question.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Zenithpeak(m): 11:49am On Apr 16, 2017
TeamSimple:

All I wanna know is if there is anyone else responsible for forgiving of sins except God?

And were sins not ordinarily forgiven before the whole crucification saga came up?

According to Matthew 6:12 KJV
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

God of all might has the absolute power to forgive any kind of sin in whatever form and manner. But as man, we owe each other the responsibility forgiveness.

Mark 11:25-26 KJV
And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

[26] But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
[color=#990000][/color]

Forgiveness takes its root from the nature of God which is Love. It takes love to forgive and God is LOVE.

Romans 5:8 KJV
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

The dynamix of redemption is complete, we only need to endeavour to understand it.

Summary
God gave us the doctrine of forgiveness and demostrated it through Christ. If any man chooses to do the same, he ratifies and consider it as an act of faith.

Note : if you feel I have not answer you as expected, kindly mention me again. Peace.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 16, 2017
neocortex:

Mary was the wife, she was impregnated without her consent.

Who impregnated her without her consent?
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by josielewa(m): 11:51am On Apr 16, 2017
Onechancearmy:
There are several reasons why the sacrifice of Christ on the cross does not violate the prohibition against human sacrifice. First, Jesus wasn’t merely human. If He were, then His sacrifice would have also been a temporary one because one human life couldn’t possibly cover the sins of the multitudes who ever existed. Neither could one finite human life atone for sin against an infinite God. The only viable sacrifice must be an infinite one, which means only God Himself could atone for the sins of mankind. Only God Himself, an infinite Being, could pay the penalty owed to Himself. This is why God had to become a Man and dwell among men (John 1:14). No other sacrifice would suffice.

Second, God didn’t sacrifice Jesus. Rather, Jesus, as God incarnate, sacrificed Himself. No one forced Him. He laid down His life willingly, as He made clear speaking about His life: “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again” (John 10:18). God the Son sacrificed Himself to God the Father and thereby fulfilled all the requirements of the Law. Unlike the temporary sacrifices, Jesus’ once-for-all-time sacrifice was followed by His resurrection. He laid down His life and took it up again, thereby providing eternal life for all who would ever believe in Him and accept His sacrifice for their sins. He did this out of love for the Father and for all those the Father has given Him (John 6:37–40).

he has the power to lay his life and take it back....then where is the sacrifice...he cant die...can a spirit die...its only the flesh that died..he was a spirit dwelling in flesh
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 16, 2017
Zenithpeak:

According to Matthew 6:12 KJV
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

God of all might has the absolute power to forgive any kind of sin in whatever form and manner. But as man, we owe each other the responsibility forgiveness.

Mark 11:25-26 KJV
And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

[26] But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
[color=#990000][/color]

Forgiveness takes its root from the nature of God which is Love. It takes love to forgive and God is LOVE.

Romans 5:8 KJV
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

The dynamix of redemption is complete, we only need to endeavour to understand it.

Summary
God gave us the doctrine of forgiveness and demostrated it through Christ. If any man chooses to do the same, he ratifies and consider it as an act of faith.

Note : if you feel I have not answer you as expected, kindly mention me again. Peace.

You didn't answer his question.

Were sins not being forgiven before crucifixion?

3 Likes

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by AlphaStyles(m): 11:54am On Apr 16, 2017
realestniggah:

seem unfair to me that some people are going to live their so called internal life in hell fire

they choose it their self
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 16, 2017
bamidelee:
so after he started existing in flesh who now govern the world

Existence is God's nature. It is in his nature to exist. But for man, that is not the case. Think of it this way.

The world as we see and know it is a thought in mind of God. Apart from God, the world would not exist, because it is not in the nature of the world to exist. But because its in the nature of God to exist, what he "thinks" takes on a life of its own and comes into be-ing. So while Jesus is man, if he had ceased to "think" of the world for one moment, everything would vaporize.

I'm sure you've sometimes conjured up a fanciful world in your imagination only for it to vaporize when the thought of food hits you. It happens because its not in your nature to exist. But you may go one step further and put your thoughts on paper and on tv. But that world cannot take a life of its own. A writer may construct elaborate characters, but at the end, the only life they have is that which the writer allows them. He puts thoughts in their minds and words in their mouth.

But the situation is radically different in the case of humanity. We and our world have a life of its own. We and our world exist. We grow; we have thoughts of our own and words of our own. We have free will. Even Jesus underwent this process
And the child grew and became strong... Luke 2.40

Jesus's becoming man did not take anything away from his being God. He still governs the world.

The problem arises only if you see the "God" Jesus and the "man" Jesus as separate beings**. No they are one nature now.
I can draw an analogy from chemistry. When you mix two elements, you often end up with a compound which is radically different from its constituent elements.
Take the sexual act for example. Two people engage in intercourse, and 9 months later, they become so one that that oneness takes on a life of its own. It is no longer "two" separate entities: a sperm and an egg.

But mind you, all of these are just an attempt to make sense of what we don't fully comprehend. The human mind abhors the mysterious, so it tries to penetrate the veil of deep mysteries. Even the coming of Jesus itself was a significant pulling away of the veil of mystery.
At that moment[of his death] the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom...Matt 27.51
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory... John 1.14

But then, if we understand him, then, he is not God. The mother may know her son through and through, but not vice versa.

But the joy of the Christian is that
... when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3.2

** (this is actually a heresy that has been dealt with in the past. I can't remember the exact name now, but you can find resources here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_heresies and here http://www.conservapedia.com/Category:Heresies)

1 Like

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by SAINTHUD(m): 11:55am On Apr 16, 2017
since when Is execution a sacrifice? crucifixion is as legal as any form of death sentence, the only sacrifice is the supposed fact that he was innocent of the crime yet substituted himself in our place. sacrifice is a ritual, crucifixion/execution is not a ritual

1 Like

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by sonmvayina(m): 11:56am On Apr 16, 2017
thinkmoney:

Universal justice demands to correct a wrong, you have to give back what was taken.
Mankind had failed, and they were doomed for destruction. But Gods love couldn't just allow him leave the work of his hand to this terrible fate. And his sense of justice couldn't let him act like a totalitarian and just close his eyes and reset everything. Remember, there are "clouds of witnesses" including angels and demons around.
If he just cancel man sin, angels maybe could have been having doubts in their mind that God doesn't stick to his laid down rule. Demons might have felt justified about their revolt and maybe even think their sin as well wouldn't be punished.
Jesus knowing the mind of God,willingly gave his perfect and everlasting life as a ransom so Mankind can get the perfect and everlasting life they lost back.
You see the wisdom and love of God.

When, The LORD sent Jonah to Nineveh, with a threat that if they don't change their ways he was going to destroy them. They repented and forsake their evil ways..God forgave them and took back the punishment..so forgiveness was possible with the sacrifice of blood..
Except you tell me, God did not actually forgave them fully..that is what I won't believe.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Adonis3: 11:56am On Apr 16, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:
[sup][/sup]
So you mean you go to sleep each day feeling scared of not waking up. Not one of 7 billion people on earth believes that, even you. But I can say that most of your day you go to bed thinking about the 'morrow.

But like I said, when death stares you in the face, you'll have a rethink about the relationship between death and sleep.
Death is one of the greatest questions humanity as a whole has meditated on. The fact that it is inevitable doesn't diminish its dread. Forget what you see on tv about "brave" people standing up to death. I think you're enlightened enough to know that tv only cares to appeal to human fantasy about life.

Lol.. .you're getting me wrong.

I'm not saying I go to bed scared of not waking up, what I said is the only reason I'm scared of death is not coming back. Same goes with most people.

You think anyone would be scared if they know they'll wake up after 3 days.

Now again, tell me the difference between that and beauty's sleep in beauty and the beast. Lol.

#Adonis3HasSpoken
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
Adonis3:
You think anyone would be scared if they know they'll wake up after 3 days.

I wish we had a way to test this claim of yours.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 16, 2017
dalaman:
It's nothing but human sacrifice . According to the tale God sacrificed himself unto himself.
...according to the tale he was crucified by MEN, not God
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 16, 2017
sonmvayina:
A sacrifice to end all sacrifice
..problem though, while will God, sacrifice his son to himself to appease himself, so that he can forgive his servants..

Because there has to be shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins. It's a covenant that was made and it's sealed by blood.

You don't believe in God so why quote the bible?
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Zenithpeak(m): 12:28pm On Apr 16, 2017
Activa:

You didn't answer his question.

Were sins not being forgiven before crucifixion?

Thanks

I thought if you can come to term with the concept behind the whole thing, some questions won't be necessary again. But all well and good.

Have you ever come across this passage in the bible?

Hebrews 9:12-15 KJV
Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us .

[13] For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

[14] How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

[15] And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

There has been doctrine of forgiveness of sin before crucifixion and ressurection, fully ordained by God, active and potent. The crucification and ressurection of Christ did not affect it, it only bring perfection into it.

Before, it used to be the high priest going into the holy portion in the terbanacle to plead for forgiveness on your behalf with your sin offering in his hand.

Note : divers sin with divers offering and ritual performances. But the death and the ressurection of JESUS CHRIST brought an end to all these ritual of a thing and give us access to the throne of grace with out a wall of Separation between God and man.

One of the key thing that the death and ressurection of Christ achieved for us is giving us unhindered access to God.

Romans 5:2 KJV
By whom also we have ACCESS by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Hebrews 4:16 KJV
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Only what we need is to believe. Just believe....... Simple believe.......... Child like believe.

Note : if you want me to say more about it, I can still do
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by FMCASH(m): 12:30pm On Apr 16, 2017
No common sense there
sonmvayina:
..problem though, while will God, sacrifice his son to himself to appease himself, so that he can forgive his servants..
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by neocortex: 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2017
Activa:

Who impregnated her without her consent?

What a rhetorical question!
God did it of course.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by heybee72(m): 12:53pm On Apr 16, 2017
How many human sacrifices have you seen that came back to life... Ta gerra rah here... He offered himself as a living sacrifice...

Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by dalaman: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
kingsouthie:

...according to the tale he was crucified by MEN, not God

The tale said he was sacrificed by God not men.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Mudida: 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2017
It was God's first and last Human sacrifice...And He (God) was the sacrifice
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by FMCASH(m): 1:04pm On Apr 16, 2017
Receive sense bro, why will you serve God that segregate salvation

Zenithpeak:

Read the book of Romans 11 may be you'll see the reason behind why the Jews were like that.

Know this truth for sure, all the Jews will be saved.

The only opportunity you have to be saved is now.

That the Jews did not believe him will not be an excuse for you.

God have different salvation plan for the Jews and the rest of the world.

Pls leave the Jews out of own way of salvation.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by RosaConsidine: 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
AnonyNymous:
Christians are yet to explain to me why God cannot just forgive without sacrifices (animal, or human)

I must admit, as a Christian, this is a pretty confusing point - that we're expected to do what God doesn't do which is forgive without blood being shed. Jesus died for pur sins and our salvation, meaning that each time we ask for forgiveness of sins, his sacrifice on the cross is reactivated to cleanse us of that sin, which is great. But how come we humans are expected to forgive each other without a shedding of blood - or is it also Jesus' sacrifice that is activated when we forgive one another? I'm quite confused.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by RosaConsidine: 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2017
Mudida:
It was God's first and last Human sacrifice...And He (God) was the sacrifice

Errr, Jephthah's daughter....remember?

1 Like

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by VajanahDischaj(f): 1:26pm On Apr 16, 2017
dalaman:
It's nothing but human sacrifice . According to the tale God sacrificed himself unto himself.
see mumu Wey wan claim intelligence
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by VajanahDischaj(f): 1:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
jeeqaa7:
Priest: Christ is risen today.. Hallelujah Woman: father, you dey dia? priest:
it's boring
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by VajanahDischaj(f): 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2017
Demigods666:
Na today you know say the Bible god na blood thirsty god?

But the deluded xtians are too deluded to see this.
we know u are just an outcome of a shrine. just show yourself, its a free world son.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Zenithpeak(m): 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2017
FMCASH:
Receive sense bro, why will you serve God that segregate salvation

If God in his own perogative did not segregate, there may be no way for the gentiles to access salvation. So the blindness that came upon Jews is to our advantage.

Had it been the Jews were able to accept him for who he is, the rest of mankind are lost.

Ask them in the days of Noah before casting your doubt.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Mememan: 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2017
Radiohead6:
Yup that's why he's called the 'Lamb' of God,
Silly ideology
So, you needs a human sacrifice to appease him right? And the only one that could even make him happy is "his begotten son"?
Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Mememan: 1:42pm On Apr 16, 2017
Adonis3:

Anyone who calls the "Death" of Jesus the "greatest" gift and sacrifice ever is only deceiving himself.

Oh yes, he was God's only son. But then, he allowed him to die knowing he had the power to raise him.

Doesn't seem like a sacrifice to me.

#Adonis3HasSpoken
exactly
Confusion continues
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Zenithpeak(m): 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2017
RosaConsidine:

I must admit, as a Christian, this is a pretty confusing point - that we're expected to do what God doesn't do which is forgive without blood being shed. Jesus died for pur sins and our salvation, meaning that each time we ask for forgiveness of sins, his sacrifice on the cross is reactivated to cleanse us of that sin, which is great. But how come we humans are expected to forgive each other without a shedding of blood - or is it also Jesus' sacrifice that is activated when we forgive one another? I'm quite confused.

Nothing is confusing about the whole thing!

Since cruxifiction and ressurection the blood of JESUS become the standard upon which forgiveness can stand. Because, where there is no shedding of blood, there is no remmission of sin.

God gave us the doctrine of forgiveness and demostrated it through Christ. If any man chooses to do the same(forgives) he (God) ratifies and consider it as an act of faith.
Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Mememan: 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2017
sonmvayina:
Yes
That's what they tell you...
The confusion continues..

1 Like

Re: Is The Crucifixion Not Synonymous To Human Sacrifice? by Mememan: 1:47pm On Apr 16, 2017
[s]
jeeqaa7:
So I am Glad.. Extremely happy.. He did this for me. He cleared my doubt. He broke protocols . He stunned us all
He died. Asin died completely
Not for His Crime. Not for something He did but something I did. He set the standard for Love.
Against all odds
He rose.. He is back and this time .
He comes Triumphant.
Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah.
I am a witness and I feel different.
I feel Good
Christ is Risen.

Like if you are a Christian
Share if you are a Muslim
[/s]
Read your post again...
Try to read with a clear head... Does it make any sense to you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12 Reasons You Need To Give Your Life To Christ Today! / The Story Of Moses: Bible And Quran' Be The Judge / Pastor Lazarus Muoka Storms Osun State For A 1day Heavenly Encounter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.