Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

The Oscars 2007 - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Oscars 2007 (8075 Views)

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 / The Oscars, 2010 Live Coverage And Results / The Oscars, 2010 : Nominees Announced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oscars 2007 by Eurphoria(f): 11:41pm On Feb 08, 2007
i disagree wit you. we have fine actors like leonardo , Denzel,matt damon, ed norton etc . they all may not be recipients of awards but give award worth performances.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 4:34am On Feb 09, 2007
yes o
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 1:23pm On Feb 09, 2007
Ed Norton is quite brilliant wink
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:28pm On Feb 09, 2007
He's been doing alot of retarded films lately however. Im not sure what happened.

For some reason I thought he was gonna play Leo's role in "The Departed"
Re: The Oscars 2007 by baby4u2(f): 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2007
and of course we know the winners considering the fact that Oscars is behind (let alone the value of an Oscar Nod)
Best Actor: Forest Whitekar
Best Actress: Helen Mirren
Best supporting actress: Jeniffer Hudson
Best supporting Actor: eddie murphy
Best picture: Babel
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 7:43pm On Feb 09, 2007
forest whittaker for best actor? dont think he can win it.
dicaprio has a lot more chance of winning it.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:22pm On Feb 09, 2007
nicole kidman - virginia wolf
julia roberts - erin brokovich
chalize theron- north country
reese witherspoon - walk the line
helen mirren - the queen

notice a similarity in all these actresses? yes they were all best actresses at particular times.
but there's somethin else. they all played roles modelled on real people.

Julia Roberts played Erin Brockovich-Ellis, who helped win one of the largest class-action suits in history.
Nicole Kidman depicted the famous British author
Chalize Theron played the lady factory worker who was sexually abused and dragged the factory to court
Reese witherspoon was the wife of johnny cash. . .

and now helen mirren, playin the queen

read more here
http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/associatedpress/20070206/1118.html;_ylt=AiXfpiwnYOV7MNZZzDnDyvNiVLcF
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:25pm On Feb 09, 2007
It's quite obvious that Helen is gonna win
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2007
cos of the trend?
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 9:11pm On Feb 09, 2007
@seun, what u gat against the oscars?
The free publicity they get is just too much, but it's not a very accurate system for measuring greatness.

but there's somethin else. they all played roles modelled on real people.
I guess they are trying to tell us that the ultimate actor is one who can portray a real person in a compelling manner.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by baby4u2(f): 10:51pm On Feb 09, 2007
@justkunmi i thought charlize theron won for Monster? plus i think forest whitaker is winning. the trend continues from the previous award ceremonies. all the stars i put up there have won in this same category in Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild, and Critics Award. MAKE SURE U WATCH, AND REMEMBER I SAID SO.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 2:14am On Feb 10, 2007
We all know Dame Helen is winning the Best Actress. . .no suprise there. As for best actor, i think Whittaker is taking it. Leo's performance wasn't outstanding, remember he's nominated for Blood Diamond, NOT the Departed.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 7:16pm On Feb 10, 2007
Best actors usually come from best movies of the year. forrest wittaker was in last king of scotland
dicaprio was nominated for blood diamond which is a very strong contender for best movie. i fancy dicaprio winning.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 12:03am On Feb 11, 2007
lmao seems you lost your list. Blood Diamond is not nominated for Best Motion Picture.

Motion Picture of the Year

* Babel
* The Departed
* Letters from Iwo Jima
* Little Miss Sunshine
* The Queen
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 4:45am On Feb 11, 2007
my bad grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Tmoni(m): 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2007
the african should win
Re: The Oscars 2007 by baby4u2(f): 7:07pm On Feb 12, 2007
Justkunmi thats not true now. best actors/actress dont always come from best movies of the year. Charlize won for monster yet the picture was not even a nominee for best picture. I know u like Dicarprio, and i did like blood diamond alot, this year is not for him.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Lolyda(f): 4:43pm On Feb 14, 2007
I think the amazing grace ought to be nominated in the best international movie
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2007
From what I've heard, Amazing Grace is not that good. wink
Re: The Oscars 2007 by odada(m): 2:46am On Feb 15, 2007
I think forrest whitaker stands a great chance of winning best male actor at the oscars for his portrayal of idi-amin in the movie the last king of scotland!he has already won the gloden globes and only recently the bafta awards in london!in the same category,Helen mirren is his female companion with her breathtaking perfomance as the queen of england in the movie the queen!kudos to these movies that gave us alot of exposure on things we didnt know behind the camera?see yall in less than 2weeks when the oscars roll out.peace cool
Re: The Oscars 2007 by odada(m): 2:48am On Feb 15, 2007
@seun
heard from who?with all the rave and hype about the movie i think it should even make the cannes this year!
Re: The Oscars 2007 by realmajid(m): 5:53pm On Feb 16, 2007
So, seun, which actor do you think should win the best actor?
Re: The Oscars 2007 by chelsea4li: 6:47pm On Feb 16, 2007
Best actors usually come from best movies of the year. forrest wittaker was in last king of scotland
dicaprio was nominated for blood diamond which is a very strong contender for best movie. i fancy dicaprio winning.

forest whitaker or leonardo Caprio doesn,t stand a chance of winning the Oscar.
my sure bet is Irishman peter toole.he has been nominated seven times already and didn,t win any.if he loses again,he will go down in history as the actor with the highest number of nomination without a win,
Re: The Oscars 2007 by LadyT(f): 6:49pm On Feb 16, 2007
chelsea4li:

[b]forest whitaker or leonardo Caprio doesn,t stand a chance of winning the Oscar.[/b]my sure bet is Irishman peter toole.he has been nominated seven times already and didn,t win any.if he loses again,he will go down in history as the actor with the highest number of nomination without a win,

are you confused? cuz I am reading your post
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 8:08pm On Feb 16, 2007
@seun: heard from who?with all the rave and hype about the movie i think it should even make the cannes this year!
Amazing grace? Seriously? All I heard is that some people don't like the way it handled the issue of slavery.

So, seun, which actor do you think should win the best actor?
Will Smith, for the Pursuit Of Happyness! smiley
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:29pm On Feb 16, 2007
Lol Seun, Hollywood churns sappy movies like that every Christmas. Will isnt getting anything
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 8:40pm On Feb 16, 2007
That happens to be the one I like. Too bad the Oscar guys don't think it's better than all those silly war movies.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:45pm On Feb 16, 2007
cos Americans are such saps for wars and their retarded veterans.

Wars they usually caused by their own hand by the way
Re: The Oscars 2007 by LadyT(f): 8:58pm On Feb 16, 2007
Altho@TOH I think we need more war movies like blood diamond and things like that to show the stupidity of African wars and how the west helps aid the madness.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:06pm On Feb 16, 2007
I thought Blood Diamond was stupid

Again another movie with a white guy claiming hero title for the poor pitiful African people. whatever.

what bothered me the most was that through all this between them they had to show him(leo) call Solomon a "kaffir", meaning he did think of him as being inferior despite the fact they were both supposed to be born and bred Africans

and did that movie really need the corny love angle plusb the "let's all stand and clap because we are all in awe that this dark barbarian can actually wear a suit"

That damn movie better not win shit.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by LadyT(f): 9:15pm On Feb 16, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

I thought Blood Diamond was stupid

Again another movie with a white guy claiming hero title for the poor pitiful African people. whatever.

what bothered me the most was that through all this between them they had to show him(leo) call Solomon a "kaffir", meaning he did think of him as being inferior despite the fact they were both supposed to be born and bred Africans

and did that movie really need the corny love angle plusb the "let's all stand and clap because we are all in awe that this dark barbarian can actually wear a suit"

That damn movie better not win shit.

LOL!!! TOH for Gods sake! LOL

Leo's character was a nasty piece of work but thats how a majority of white africans think. I thought it was a good eye opener to the ignorant tho
Re: The Oscars 2007 by odada(m): 12:59am On Feb 17, 2007
@seun
maybe the slavery ish was not a good idea but c'mon it did happen u know?moreover calabar-Nigeria-Africa!happened to be the first place the popular hymn 'amazing grace' was first sung

war movies?last king of scotland aint no war movie!i think whittaker will claim best male at the oscars for that movie role?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Game Of Thrones Season 7 / Stephanie Okereke's Accident / Rachel The Piper Set To Release Movie 'land Of Opportunity' And Piper Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.