Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

The Oscars 2007 - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Oscars 2007 (8076 Views)

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 / The Oscars, 2010 Live Coverage And Results / The Oscars, 2010 : Nominees Announced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2007
yeah who cares grin

eddie fans still out there, so u fancy him winning an oscar?
Re: The Oscars 2007 by kellorah: 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2007
ye, i think he deserved it kiss
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2007
u've not even seen d movie grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2007
No. He had better not be the one to get the token black man award

He hasnt done a decent movie in forever, now he has that stupid Norbert shit coming out. Pathetic  angry
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2007
so djimon honsou for the token black award grin
i think they are the only 2 black dudes nominated, . . embarassed
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2007
maybe if black actors starred in better movies than the usual cliched bullshit, they'd have more nominees
Re: The Oscars 2007 by LadyT(f): 11:57pm On Feb 04, 2007
Theres not that many black actors anyway you could probably count them all on one hand.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2007
chiwetel ejiofor was in inside man. with denzel grin

cant the oscars recognise naija movies grin
lmao at the thought
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2007
and only ONE is actually good. the rest play their usual predictable parts. Hollywood just keeps them around in the name of "diversity" Pitiful.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 12:01am On Feb 05, 2007
and whose the special ONE
Re: The Oscars 2007 by LadyT(f): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2007
Samuel Jackson is good altho his characters are always angry!

Denzel is good

errr, yeah Im still thinking
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2007
justkunmi:

chiwetel ejiofor was in inside man. with denzel grin\

his role/scenes werent great in that movie.

He was better in "Dirty Pretty Things" and  GREAT as a villian in 4 Brothers. He was also nominated for his role in "Kinky Boots" which I really wanna see.

Black british actors are usually better cos they try to extend themselves to various movies and try nOT to play by just one kinda role and I respect that.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:03am On Feb 05, 2007
justkunmi:

and whose the special ONE

um i was saying you can have like 10 black actors and you'll find that only one is actually good. I didnt specify which ONE. just saying how scarce the talented ones are and it's quite depressing.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 4:55am On Feb 05, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

He was better in "Dirty Pretty Things" and GREAT as a villian in 4 Brothers. He was also nominated for his role in "Kinky Boots" which I really want to see.

Black british actors are usually better because they try to extend themselves to various movies and try nOT to play by just one kind of role and I respect that.

True that!! am gonna go fish for kinky boots masef
Re: The Oscars 2007 by bluenubian(f): 6:21am On Feb 05, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

. . . . . .and GREAT as a villian in 4 Brothers.

am sorry, i love chiwetel, but damn thats the worst role he ever played, he cudnt even pass of as a bad guy, i was jus laughing watching him trying to act tuff,

now he was GREAT in HBO's tsunami, its ok if he sticks to that kind of roles.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by spikyn: 1:41pm On Feb 05, 2007
Chiwetel is just paying dues and so far he's making all the right moves - from "Amistad", "Dirty Pretty Things" and "Inside Man" to "Serenity" he's busy gathering cred, he'll get a chance to grab awards soon enough.

Hollywood get formula now, you either die in your film or act crazy in a small indie/little seen role.

I see Helen Mirren, Forest Whitaker and "Cars" winning. Eddie, Babel and Pan's Labyrinth might win compensatory awards. What's Marky Mark doing getting nominated?!

Scorcese's The Departed is really good but I prefer the original Mou Gan Dou (Infernal Affairs); though you have to respect the way he remade the movie and totally made it his own. It's definitely not his best work sha.

I was really surprised that Jack Nicholson, "Thank You for Smoking" and the guy playing Nick Naylor, "Akeelah & the Bee", "The New World" were not nominated, oh well, "Jack, it's Chinatown" wink
Re: The Oscars 2007 by TerraCotta(m): 9:26pm On Feb 05, 2007
spikyn:

oh well, "Jack, it's Chinatown" wink

grin He's being accused of being a little too over the top in 'The Departed' (and I agree), so I'm not surprised he was passed over. I'd say Mark Walhberg deserved a nomination before Jack, which is sad, but true nontheless.

Didn't get around to seeing 'The New World' when it was out, but I've read good things about it. 'Thank You For Smoking' on the other hand seemed like it was trying too hard with the black humour--it put me to sleep on the plane. "Volver" could give Pan's Labyrinth a run for it's money in the foreign language category.

Patiently waits for that day when a "Madam Dearest/Aya Mi Owon" will be eligible. Soon come!
Re: The Oscars 2007 by iice(f): 3:16pm On Feb 06, 2007
Well i didn't like the new world that much, too much film roll wasted on nonsensical stuffs. . .it just made it seem as if the director was trying to fill up certain intervals just to make a whole film. Blehhh tongue
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 3:21pm On Feb 06, 2007
madam dearest. lol grin
u wish. . .
nigerians are not even in the oscar radar. . not with the quality of our works.
madam dearest was a good one but one good movie out of a million stupid ones cool
Re: The Oscars 2007 by TerraCotta(m): 5:26pm On Feb 06, 2007
justkunmi:

nigerians are not even in the oscar radar. . not with the quality of our works.

[Typical Nollywood actress]Are you maaaad?[/Typical Nollywood actress]. Is that so? So Nollywood isn't up to Oscar standard yet? You mean to tell me 'Games Men Play' isn't going to score that 'Best Original Screenplay' award anytime soon? You're destroying my long-cherished illusions today.

Ye of little faith, sha. You will see Tade Ogidan repping Naija in full agbada up on that Oscar stage with the likes of Guillermo del Toro soon enough. Geneveive sef go come scoop some nominations from Penelope Cruz and co. You will see Omotola on the 'E' Network gisting about her aso oke gown with Joan Rivers while RMD and Jim Iyke wave to the screaming girls in the crowd from the red carpet. Nollywood will conquer LA. "And we shall found our own armies, our own religion, our own dynasty! And that day is upon you NOW!” (A thousand "movie lover" cool points for anyone who can identify that quote) grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 7:31pm On Feb 06, 2007
According to this article, The Oscar Deception, the Oscar awards were created to make Hollywood seem respectable; to make them seem like serious storytellers, which they are not. So 'art' films always win.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:37pm On Feb 06, 2007
@seun

i totally agree with the writer concerning last year's awards. the movies that took the awards were totally handpicked. those movies are generally not the hollywood kind of movies.
look at a movie like brokeback mountain. . .the movie was handpicked so as just to give the gay community a lil sumthing.

yes, some issues raised are correct but that still does not remove the importance of the awards.
at least some movies are worth the awards they received.
the lord of the rings:the return of the king. is a very good example
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:38pm On Feb 06, 2007
I swear all these people crying about BB have never even seen the damn movie

It's so pathetic.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by hotangel2(f): 4:01am On Feb 07, 2007
Im telling you, most of the movies that win oscars, are not even movies people WATCH!!!

This year's oscars isn't gonna be an different. I don't wanna bet on anything, but you just wait and watch. You'll be surprised.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Razorr(f): 12:03pm On Feb 07, 2007
Happy Feet would definitely clinch the best animated feature award!

That movie is one in a million!
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Gamine(f): 5:29pm On Feb 07, 2007
i do hope so,

i love Happy FEEt grin grin
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:19pm On Feb 07, 2007
hot-angel:

I'm telling you, most of the movies that win oscars, are not even movies people WATCH!!!

I was gonna say "true" but I want your list of examples wink
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 7:53pm On Feb 07, 2007
i can only say movies that won last year were just cover ups. nobody watched those movies, before or even after the awards.

brokeback mountain
goodnight and good luck
munich, (maybe except this)
Re: The Oscars 2007 by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2007
justkunmi:

i can only say movies that won last year were just cover ups. nobody watched those movies, before or even after the awards.

brokeback mountain
goodnight and good luck
munich, (maybe except this)

you should do the world a favor and actually look up the box office numbers for those movies, especially BB.
I've seen all three and they deserved their nominations
Re: The Oscars 2007 by Seun(m): 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2007
I think the article is only 50% correct. The Oscar award is no conspiracy; it's just another good marketing tactic.
Re: The Oscars 2007 by justkunmi(m): 8:59pm On Feb 08, 2007
the article is 20% correct.
its only true about last year's nominees. . .just like the references made.

@seun, wat u gat against the oscars? cool
Re: The Oscars 2007 by hammah(m): 11:26pm On Feb 08, 2007
The award has lost touch of excellence!can't be compared with old winners like Al Pacino,Michael Douglas ,Andy Garcia e.t.c.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stephanie Okereke's Accident / Rachel The Piper Set To Release Movie 'land Of Opportunity' And Piper Awards / HiTV's Programme Repetition Is Driving Me Crazy!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.