Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,808 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia (13310 Views)

Some Important Facts You Need To Know About Ethiopia / Is Ethiopia, The Greatest Country On The Continent / Images Of Some Of Ethiopia Past Rulers And Other Aristocracies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by henrimoto(m): 7:12am On Apr 22, 2017
Good Morning @ Hati13.

I like your intellectual IQ jare. ( jare - is like an adverb used to modify a verb but here its used to buttress words. its been used by some in our pidgin English.)

What is accommodation (Hotel) like in Addis Ababa, for. foreign tourist ? ( On a low scale o, as in average tourist.- not a buoyant tourist.)

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 22, 2017
henrimoto:
Good Morning @ Hati13.

I like your intellectual IQ jare. ( jare - is like an adverb used to modify a verb but here its used to buttress words. its been used by some in our pidgin English.)

What is accommodation (Hotel) like in Addis Ababa, for. foreign tourist ? ( On a low scale o, as in average tourist.- not a buoyant tourist.)
Hi Henrimoto, tnx for the kind words and also Good Morning to you too!

There are many Hotels here in Addis, especially around Bola town and other popular towns. Some few are luxuries and many are normal and low quality. One of the most luxurious hotels are Sheraton, Hilton, Ramada(in Bola) and others. The price for the luxuries ones are very high(I don't know the exact range) and the price for the normal ones are from the range of 200-500 Birr(20-25$)(in some places, it can get lower or higher).

Outside of Addis, there are many hotels, but most of the their qualities are not like in Addis. Most of the hotels price are lower than the Addis hotels.

Are you interested to come to Ethiopia for visit? If so, I wish you all the best!
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by oweniwe(m): 6:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
Hati13:

Hi Henrimoto, tnx for the kind words and also Good Morning to you too!

Are you interested to come to Ethiopia for visit? If so, I wish you all the best!

I like this guy o. cheesy

MTN should come hire you to do customer care for them. grin

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2017
oweniwe:

I like this guy o. cheesy

MTN should come hire you to do customer care for them. grin
Hi Oweniwe, tnx for the kind words.

It you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by oweniwe(m): 7:52pm On Apr 23, 2017
Hati13:

Hi Oweniwe, tnx for the kind words.

It you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Okay... But ... err... my question is queer o. undecided

Do you have sister or.... cousin sisters ?... wink

I'll love to date an Ethiopian angel....

And I promise you I won't break her heart cos she's your sister tongue

What am I saying sef ? grin

Happy Sunday Sir.

Hope your day is fine. smiley
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by PrinceAbinibi: 4:35pm On Apr 24, 2017
Hi, what are the usual stereotypes you have about Nigerians- good and bad please.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 25, 2017
oweniwe:

Okay... But ... err... my question is queer o. undecided

Do you have sister or.... cousin sisters ?... wink

I'll love to date an Ethiopian angel....

And I promise you I won't break her heart cos she's your sister tongue

What am I saying sef ? grin

Happy Sunday Sir.

Hope your day is fine. smiley
Sorry for the late reply. I was ban by anti spam for a day.

Yes, I have a sister and few cousins, but I don't think they like arranged date. They will say, we are in the 21 century. undecided

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 25, 2017
PrinceAbinibi:
Hi, what are the usual stereotypes you have about Nigerians- good and bad please.
Hi PrinceAbinibl, sorry for the late reply. I was ban by anti spam for a day.

I will be totally honest with you. The bad stereotypes I've toward Nigerians are, most of them are loud(from what I saw on the TV), most of the men are scammers(from what I read online) and most of the women try to look someone they could not be(again from what I read online). The good stereotypes I've are, there music is great, most of them are proud to be Nigerian and have true African identity.

Are my bad stereotypes are wrong? If so, correct me please!
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by oweniwe(m): 12:39pm On Apr 25, 2017
Hati13:

Hi PrinceAbinibl, sorry for the late reply. I was ban by anti spam for a day.

I will be totally honest with you. The bad stereotypes I've toward Nigerians are, most of them are loud(from what I saw on the TV), most of the men are scammers(from what I read online) and most of the women try to look someone they could not be(again from what I read online). The good stereotypes I've are, there music is great, most of them are proud to be Nigerian and have true African identity.

Are my bad stereotypes are wrong? If so, correct me please!

Not wrong. you're.very right.

even within Nigeria, each tribe has its stereotype of other tribes.

even neighboring communities and tribes bash each other.

you must have seen the words "afonja/brown roof", "flat head/flattie/Igbo", "aaboki/cattle" ... on nairaland.

those are.examples of Nigerians stereotyping each other.

and Nigerians aren't proud of Nigeria, they're only proud of their tribes.

cheers.

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 25, 2017
oweniwe:

you must have seen the words "afonja/brown roof", "flat head/flattie/Igbo", "aaboki/cattle" ... on nairaland.

cheers.
Tnx
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by fergusen: 11:01am On Apr 26, 2017
oweniwe:

cheers.
Why the generalisation? That's quite erroneous.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 11:24am On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13, please explain to me: Are you Muslim or Coptic? I ask this because i am aware about food restrictions in islam, but i recently heard about some food restrictions in orthodox church
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 26, 2017
MtuMsuper:
Hati13, please explain to me: Are you Muslim or Coptic? I ask this because i am aware about food restrictions in islam, but i recently heard about some food restrictions in orthodox church
I'm Atheist. smiley

Yes, you are right on some of the foods restrictions on both religions. For example, if a Christian butcher swears "besmeame welda menfase keduse"(it's in Amharic language), when he behead a animal, other Muslims will not eat the meat here in Ethiopia. Vice verse for Christians, when a Muslim butcher swears "wysmela". But for me, it doesn't matter.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 12:31pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:

I'm Atheist. smiley

Yes, you are right on some of the foods restrictions on both religions. For example, if a Christian butcher swears "besmeame welda menfase keduse"(it's in Amharic language), when he behead a animal, other Muslims will not eat the meat here in Ethiopia. Vice verse for Christians, when a Muslim butcher swears "wysmela". But for me, it doesn't matter.
okay.
Actually it concerns the fact that there are almost 100 days in the calendar where the orthodox church forbids consumption of dairy products. Is it true?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 26, 2017
MtuMsuper:

okay.
Actually it concerns the fact that there are almost 100 days in the calendar where the orthodox church forbids consumption of dairy products. Is it true?
I don't know the exact number of days, but there are many days they're forbidden to consume animal products. They will not eat animal products on Wednesday and Friday all year. They will not eat animal products for all 30 days prior from Orthodox Christmas(January 7). They will not eat animal products for all 55 days prior from Easter. There are also minor not eating animal products periods throughout the year.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 4:11pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hati13:

I don't know the exact number of days, but there are many days they're forbidden to consume animal products. They will not eat animal products on Wednesday and Friday all year. They will not eat animal products for all 30 days prior from Orthodox Christmas(January 7). They will not eat animal products for all 55 days prior from Easter. There are also minor not eating animal products periods throughout the year.
Wooow! That is a minimum of 190 days without eating any form of animal protein. At least more than 50% of the days in a year. That is alot of days. What do people eat instead of animal product. Maybe beans?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Wooow! That is a minimum of 190 days without eating any form of animal protein. At least more than 50% of the days in a year. That is alot of days. What do people eat instead of animal product. Maybe beans?
We don't eat beans that much. Our traditional dish is Injera(soft bread thing) and different kinds of Wat(Stew). Most of it's non animal products.

One thing I want you to know is, Ethiopia is one of the least country to consume little calories per day.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 5:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
1. Why is there little formal trade between Ethiopia and her regional neighbours? Even socio cultural links are few.

2. Related to the above question: What do you think the leadership of EPRDF led government and ordinary Ethiopians think about joining the East African Community(EAC)?

3. What is Tirunesh Dibaba currently doing?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
MtuMsuper:
1. Why is there little formal trade between Ethiopia and her regional neighbours? Even socio cultural links are few.

2. Related to the above question: What do you think the leadership of EPRDF led government and ordinary Ethiopians think about joining the East African Community(EAC)?

3. What is Tirunesh Dibaba currently doing?
There were a strong trade between Ethiopia(Punt, Axum, Zagwe and Abyssinia) and other states. Those states were mostly located in present day Ethiopia. Punt had traded as far as Ancient Egypt. During the Axum period, merchants of Axum had traded as far as Mero(Sudan) to northwest, south as far as central Ethiopia and India and China in the Far East. Most of the trades during Abyssinia period, were within the states of present day Ethiopia.

Relatively from previous ruling institutions, EPRDF had done a good jobs, but there is a high corruption in the party and it's making Ethiopia to not progress at a much higher peace. Actually my father was one of the few founding members of EPRDF. He wasn't corrupt, where most of the higher personals are very much corrupt. He was a General. He died last year.

I don't know what the ordinary people think about joining the EAC, but my attitude towards it's a positive.

Tirunesh Dibaba had stopped running 5,000 and 10,000 meters. She is focusing on marathon and have runed and won some international marathons. She is currently living at the outskirt of Addis Ababa.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 5:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

There were a strong trade between Ethiopia(Punt, Axum, Zagwe and Abyssinia) and other states. Those states were mostly located in present day Ethiopia. Punt had traded as far as Ancient Egypt. During the Axum period, merchants of Axum had traded as far as Mero(Sudan) to northwest, south as far as central Ethiopia and India and China in the Far East. Most of the trades during Abyssinia period, were within the states of present day Ethiopia.

Relatively from previous ruling institutions, EPRDF had done a good jobs, but there is a high corruption in the party and it's making Ethiopia to not progress at a much higher peace. Actually my father was one of the few founding members of EPRDF. He wasn't corrupt, where most of the higher personals are very much corrupt. He was a General. He died last year.

I don't know what the ordinary people think about joining the EAC, but my attitude towards it's a positive.

Tirunesh Dibaba had stopped running 5,000 and 10,000 meters. She is focusing on marathon and have runed and won some international marathons. She is currently living at the outskirt of Addis Ababa.
ok. am glad to hear that. But you still not answer my first question. Modern day ethiopia has very little trade with her immediate neighbours. I would understand if there is nothing going on with South Sudan because they produce nothing but refugees. There is little or no trade with Somalia for obvious reasons. The importance of Djibouti to Ethiopia is enormous and needs little explanation. I dont know much about trade with Khartoum Sudan. But i know for sure there is little trade between Addis and Nairobi. Am told even aviation code share agreements between Ethiopia Airlines and Kenya Airways are very touchy subject between the two countries since we are big competition. We should be trading not only goods but services. People think trade is only about coffee or tea or livestock but no even my company can set up Ethiopian branch. Even a petty trader can bring in goods to and from ethiopia. You see alot of interaction between kenya and uganda,rwanda, tanzania,southsudan and even congo. But no ethiopia, why?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

ok. am glad to hear that. But you still not answer my first question. Modern day ethiopia has very little trade with her immediate neighbours. I would understand if there is nothing going on with South Sudan because they produce nothing but refugees. There is little or no trade with Somalia for obvious reasons. The importance of Djibouti to Ethiopia is enormous and needs little explanation. I dont know much about trade with Khartoum Sudan. But i know for sure there is little trade between Addis and Nairobi. Am told even aviation code share agreements between Ethiopia Airlines and Kenya Airways are very touchy subject between the two countries since we are big competition. We should be trading not only goods but services. People think trade is only about coffee or tea or livestock but no even my company can set up Ethiopian branch. Even a petty trader can bring in goods to and from ethiopia. You see alot of interaction between kenya and uganda,rwanda, tanzania,southsudan and even congo. But no ethiopia, why?
I thought you asked me about past history trades. I don't know why there isn't a strong trade between us and other east Africa countries, especially in service(as you pointed out). Our biggest trading partner, especially in goods is china. There are also trades in the border of Sudan, Kenya, Djibouti and Somalia, but most of it are illegal trading.

Our service sector is the biggest in terms of our GDP, I hadn't seen any Kenya service center(may be it's just me).

I had heard that, relatively from most Africa countries, your country looks clean and modern. I'm very glad by this. smiley

If I could ask, what is your opinion on the idea of EAC?

Tnx!
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 7:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

I thought you asked me about past history trades. I don't know why there isn't a strong trade between us and other east Africa countries, especially in service(as you pointed out). Our biggest trading partner, especially in goods is china. There are also trades in the border of Sudan, Kenya, Djibouti and Somalia, but most of it are illegal trading.

Our service sector is the biggest in terms of our GDP, I hadn't seen any Kenya service center(may be it's just me).

I had heard that, relatively from most Africa countries, your country looks clean and modern. I'm very glad by this. smiley

If I could ask, what is your opinion on the idea of EAC?

Tnx!
EAC is a useful union, but most neighbours especially Tanzania fear the true free flow of people because we may overrun their country!! I shall explore areas of business in Ethiopia if you can suggest some areas that are lacking. Are there rules about ownership of a business by foreigners in ethiopia? Do ethiopians welcome african business people?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

EAC is a useful union, but most neighbours especially Tanzania fear the true free flow of people because we may overrun their country!! I shall explore areas of business in Ethiopia if you can suggest some areas that are lacking. Are there rules about ownership of a business by foreigners in ethiopia? Do ethiopians welcome african business people?
Ethiopia is 80% rural, so it will be a good thing to open a business there and revive the economy, but if you are looking only on profile, then the urban areas are advisable.

The country is giving high priorities to investors(citizens and foreigners). The rules depends on the type of business you are looking, but I've not much info than this.

Are you seriously considering to open a business here?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 7:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hati13:

Ethiopia is 80% rural, so it will be a good thing to open a business there and revive the economy, but if you are looking only on profile, then the urban areas are advisable.

The country is giving high priorities to investors(citizens and foreigners). The rules depends on the type of business you are looking, but I've not much info than this.

Are you seriously considering to open a business here?
I want to explore opportunities everywhere its possible....how do people treat businesspeople from the continent?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

I want to explore opportunities everywhere its possible....how do people treat businesspeople from the continent?
You will be treated normally. There is no such thing as xenophobic here.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Mbio: 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Ethiopia is such a lovely place. Both KQ and ET fly three times a day between Addis and NBO.

Kenyans do not need a visa to visit Ethiopia and vice versa.

I know there is quite some trade between kenya and Ethiopia in leather products(jackets, shoes etc), leather products and jewellery(gold and silver) are extremely cheap.

@ Hati13, you stay in the entertainment hotspot of Addis, I frequently visit stockholm club, Club H20, Jolly bar(I love the decor) and africaqana restaurant(for nyama choma) near the old airport now golf course. Ethiopians are the most hospitable people I've met. I'll hola when I come to Addis

I also noted that most of the streets/roads in addis are named after african countries, african cities or african leaders.

if visiting Ethiopia, please make sure you go to Lalibela, entoto hills(a few minutes from Addis ababa) and Gonda .

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by MtuMsuper: 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2017
Mbio:

Ethiopia is such a lovely place. Both KQ and ET fly three times a day between Addis and NBO.

I know there is quite some trade between kenya and Ethiopia in leather products(jackets, shoes etc), leather products and jewellery(gold and silver) are extremely cheap.

@ Hati13, you stay in the entertainment hotspot of Addis, I frequently visit stockholm club, Club H20, Jolly bar(I love the decor) and africaqana restaurant(for nyama choma) near the old airport now golf course. Ethiopians are the most hospitable people I've met. I'll hola when I come to Addis

I also noted that most of the streets/roads in addis are named after african countries, african cities or african leaders.

if visiting Ethiopia, please make sure you go to Lalibela, entoto hills(a few minutes from Addis ababa) and Gonda .
okay. i will keep that in mind. You must be also an Addis man.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 27, 2017
Mbio:

Hi Mbio, nice to meet you sir!

I know the entertainment spots you mentioned, but I haven't visited them, since I'm not an explorer.

You are right on some streets/roads being named after African countries, like Rwanda street for example. There is also an area named Mexico.

Also it's advisable to visit Axum Obelisks, Tiya stones, Semine Mountains, Bale Mountains, Sof Omer cave(the largest in Africa), Lake Tana, Blue Nile Waterfall, Harar Jeggol wall, and so on.... including what you listed. Ethio have 9 UNESCO heritages, which is the largest in Africa.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by babyfaceafrica: 1:23am On Apr 28, 2017
fergusen:

Why the generalisation? That's quite erroneous.
I agree with you..his statement is fallacious
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Winters22: 5:25pm On May 25, 2017
can I send u a PM? would like to ask some questions about the Ethiopian languages. or ur dialect if u don't mind. @ Hati3
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:34pm On May 25, 2017
Winters22:
can I send u a PM? would like to ask some questions about the Ethiopian languages. or ur dialect if u don't mind. @ Hati3
Peace, send me.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia by Winters22: 5:44pm On May 25, 2017
deleted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ogun: A Yoruba Word With Morethan 20 Meanings / Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? / Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.