Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,541 members, 7,812,686 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Mind-body Problem - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mind-body Problem (2658 Views)

How Do I Cleanse My Mind,body And Soul. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

If the information can be removed from one material thing and placed in another material thing, that deductivey affirms that the information exists independently of [b]either[/ b] of the material things.

No it doesn't!!!!

Would you care to spell out the steps of your deductive reasoning that affirms it.
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2010
Pastor AIO:

If absolutely every aspect of human behaviour can be caused by the brain then what does the Soul do?

I would have thought that the brain is a tool via which the soul apprehends the world. Of course if the tool is defective, apprehension would be defective or impossible.
Re: Mind-body Problem by KunleOshob(m): 3:08pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

Perhaps i may assist.

It appears to me that the analogy of splitting a brain may have certain problems: and more importantly it has a number of holes through which the escapist materialist may seek to divert attention and ask endless questions.

Let us rather come up with a different analogy:

Again, it is the year 2097, and mankind has discovered a way to make mechanical brains - in much the same way as mechanical parts are made nowadays for hearts, glands, ears or limbs.

Thus Tom's natural brain is defective or has a terrible tumor, or cancer. . .

We take out all the information in the natural brain and transfer it into the mechanical brain - a computer which will be implanted into his head in place of the brain.

Questions –

1. Where was Tom during the period of transfer of information?

a. In the original brain

b. In the machine

c. In between

i. He was not in the original brain as it is being discarded

ii. He is not yet in the machine, as it is just being “filled” with the information

iii. If he is in between, the materialist worldview collapses instantly – as it is thereby shown that the man may exist without a physical brain. . .

2. Let us ask: what if that information is stored for a while on a micro-chip, prior to being placed in the new mechanical brain?

a. Is Tom in the Micro-Chip

b. Is the Micro-Chip Tom

c. Where is Tom?

3. Since it is asserted by the materialist that “the brain is the man” – now that the brain has been replaced by a mechanical computer (or a micro-chip), can we also with equally-footed logic assert that “the computer is the man”[/i] or “the micro-chip IS THE MAN?”

4. If the information passed from the brain to the computer is what defines TOM the man, then clearly that information itself is TOM – Not the brain, and not the computer – but the information. Accordingly and automatically it follows that the materialist assertion that the man is the brain must fail as the man can now exist without the brain. Rather the information stored within the brain is now what is more important, and is transferred to a computer or a microchip which can perform the function of the discarded brain? Once this is accepted, as it per force must be, then it has been incontrovertibly shown that the brain is not the man but that it holds something else which defines the man – and which may be transferred outside the brain!

5. If that information can be transferred outside the brain, then there is no reason to suppose that it cannot be transferred to another brain for example in the form of a baby. . . thus. . .reincarnation?

Se.xy stuff. . .Puristic materialism is a joke. . .

What if the information on this micro chip or mechanical device is copy or downloaded to say ten different mechanical brians? would we have ten Toms in that regard?
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 3:08pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

I would have thought that the brain is a tool via which the soul apprehends the world. Of course if the tool is defective, apprehension would be defective or impossible.

When a king relies entirely on his prime minister to the point that no one in the kingdom has ever seen or heard the king.  To the point where in fact there are people running around saying the king doesn't exist and yet the king won't take the reins of his government, still leaving everything to be done by his prime minister, then it is only a matter of time in realpolitiks that the prime minister will depose the king and take  over the kingdom for himself.
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:11pm On Jan 06, 2010
Pastor AIO:

No it doesn't!!!!

Would you care to spell out the steps of your deductive reasoning that affirms it.

Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:12pm On Jan 06, 2010
Pastor, does that work, or do i interprete in English?
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:13pm On Jan 06, 2010
KunleOshob:

What if the information on this micro chip or mechanical device is copy or downloaded to say ten different mechanical brians? would we have ten Toms in that regard?

That would result in cloning. . .! Lol! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

The "soul" uses the brain to apprehend the world?

Here is a post from the link that was provide which shows how flawed your hypothesis is.

"The soul, apparently, must be somehow separate from the brain. There are a number of gaping flaws in this idea (as is often the case with religious pseudo-science). The most obvious one is this: If a person has a major physical change to their brain (due to injury, surgery, disease or oxygen starvation), it will often bring about a major change to their personality. Many people who suffer accidents that cause brain injury also undergo a personality change. It used to be common practice to lobotomise (surgically remove the frontal lobes of the brain) dangerously violent people as this brought about a dramatic change in their personality - they became much more subdued and docile.

There have been several cases where a person went into hospital for an operation, something went tragically wrong, perhaps with the anaesthetic, and the person suffered massive brain-damage as a result. Healthy, thinking, reasoning person before the operation, and a vegetable afterwards. What happened to the soul? Did the material drugs damage the immaterial soul?"
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 3:16pm On Jan 06, 2010
No it doesn't work and I'll break it down for you with an analogy.

I am quite capable of parasiting off my brother.

I am also quite capable of parasiting of my wife.

I can even parasite of my co-workers.

Does that mean that I can sustain myself without parasiting of anybody?  Does that mean that I can exist independent of parasiting of someone just because I have a variety of means of doing so?
Re: Mind-body Problem by Tudor6(f): 3:26pm On Jan 06, 2010
The way some people think baffles me.

To get the feeling existence and self awarness does that information not need to be accesed by a suitable device?

If the information is being transmitted by air, do the waves travel screaming i am tom the mechanic, i'm flying, i exist e.t.c?

If such information were to be stored in three different devices, a brain, an ipod and a television, how many of them will assume awareness as Tom the mechanic?

If I were to create a totally different sequence of information called MUMU and transmit to tom's brain, won't former tom exist to himself as MUMU?

If the foolishness of your idea is true it definately means my mumu computer file is an existent being flying through the airwaves. . .Haba, i no fit shout abeg!
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2010
Pastor AIO:

No it doesn't work and I'll break it down for you with an analogy.

I am quite capable of parasiting off my brother.

I am also quite capable of parasiting of my wife.

I can even parasite of my co-workers.

Does that mean that I can sustain myself without parasiting of anybody?  Does that mean that I can exist independent of parasiting of someone just because I have a variety of means of doing so?

Your very words affirm that:

1. YOU EXIST (Thus the information exists)
2. YOU ARE NOT YOUR BROTHER, YOUR WIFE OR YOUR CO-WORKER (Thus the information is not the brain, or the mechanical brain, or the microchip, but is contained within them)

This already says a lot. For one thing it affirms the existence of the immaterial part.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if that immaterial part can exist without a material “container”, “host” or “cloak” if I may use these terms.

Does it not strike you that what seems to be required is the “enabling environment” (if I may borrow a Nigeria political cliché) for the parasite to exist?

The parasite IS THERE. Just as the information is there.

What it requires is the environment to support it, and in this you are right.

But what you miss I believe, is the implication of the fact that a different environment corresponding with the nature of the parasite will enable it to sustain itself.

Thus once the “information” loses its “enabling environment” – in this case the physical body – death occurs.

This very fact suggests that the information is no longer within the defective host, and lies outside of it, yes?

Now I ask you; is there any logical problem with an immaterial thing resting in an immaterial environment? Or put differently – an abstraction being part of abstractions?

It is my personal belief that the information being immaterial is naturally held within an immaterial environment: the world of forms: which some refer to as the spirit realm.

For me it is sufficient to state that the information being immaterial is therefore abstract and rests in abstraction.

This is altogether different from stating that it does not exist any longer, for God itself is the ultimate abstraction.
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:39pm On Jan 06, 2010
toneyb:

The "soul" uses the brain to apprehend the world?

Here is a post from the link that was provide which shows how flawed your hypothesis is.

"The soul, apparently, must be somehow separate from the brain. There are a number of gaping flaws in this idea (as is often the case with religious pseudo-science). The most obvious one is this: If a person has a major physical change to their brain (due to injury, surgery, disease or oxygen starvation), it will often bring about a major change to their personality. Many people who suffer accidents that cause brain injury also undergo a personality change. It used to be common practice to lobotomise (surgically remove the frontal lobes of the brain) dangerously violent people as this brought about a dramatic change in their personality - they became much more subdued and docile.

There have been several cases where a person went into hospital for an operation, something went tragically wrong, perhaps with the anaesthetic, and the person suffered massive brain-damage as a result. Healthy, thinking, reasoning person before the operation, and a vegetable afterwards. What happened to the soul? Did the material drugs damage the immaterial soul?"

Sorry, but this says nothing.

Will a defective tool not hamper the performance of its principal just as clearly suggested in the example you gave of a violent person?

What do you understand by the word “tool?”

Not good enough.

I hope you understand that you are suggesting to me the reverse;

Namely that the brain is the independent creature in itself and the man (with physical body, legs to walk about, etc) is its tool.

Abeg joooooooooooor!
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 3:47pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

2. YOU ARE NOT YOUR BROTHER, YOUR WIFE OR YOUR CO-WORKER (Thus the information is not the brain, or the mechanical brain, or the microchip, but is contained within them)

This already says a lot. For one thing it affirms the existence of the immaterial part.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if that immaterial part can exist without a material “container”, “host” or “cloak” if I may use these terms.

Does it not strike you that what seems to be required is the “enabling environment” (if I may borrow a Nigeria political cliché) for the parasite to exist?

But what you miss I believe, is the implication of the fact that a different environment corresponding with the nature of the parasite will enable it to sustain itself.

Thus once the “information” loses its “enabling environment” – in this case the physical body – death occurs.

This very fact suggests that the information is no longer within the defective host, and lies outside of it, yes?

Now I ask you; is there any logical problem with an immaterial thing resting in an immaterial environment? Or put differently – an abstraction being part of abstractions?

It is my personal belief that the information being immaterial is naturally held within an immaterial environment: the world of forms: which some refer to as the spirit realm.

For me it is sufficient to state that the information being immaterial is therefore abstract and rests in abstraction.

This is altogether different from stating that it does not exist any longer, for God itself is the ultimate abstraction.

You asked if the soul or information could exist INDEPENDENTLY of bodies to host it. This would depend on what you mean by the word Exist because when you start talking about immaterial planes or abstract planes I then have to ask, where is the immaterial plane in relation to the physical plane? How do they interact?

Also, and perhaps this should be easier, what do you define as the physical plane and as pure bodies (ie. bodies that carry no information whatsoever). Are there any such things as pure bodies?
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 3:49pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

Will a defective tool not hamper the performance of its principal just as clearly suggested in the example you gave of a violent person?

Not good enough.

Namely that the brain is the independent creature in itself and the man (with physical body, legs to walk about, etc) is its tool.

Abeg joooooooooooor!

So what is the function of the Soul? What does it do?
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 3:56pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

Not good enough.

Abeg joooooooooooor!

This is what is called special pleading? You were the one that talked about the existence of the soul and made the claim that it uses the brain as a medium, on what basis did you come to this conclusion? Are you saying that the soul changes once the brain changes? How then can the soul exist independent of the brain if your claim is true? Again from the article

"Are memories stored in the brain or the soul? Some people partially lose their memory when their brain is injured. This implies that the brain stores memories, in which case how does your soul remember anything after brain-death? Does it take a copy of your memories and store them somewhere? If so, why can't it do this before death, giving us all perfect memories throughout our lives? What happens to those memories that are forgotten or lost? Does the soul somehow retrieve them so that you have a complete memory of every single second of your life, or does it only get those things that your conscious mind can normally remember?

If the brain is the soul's connector, why do other animals have brains at all? Do they have small, simple souls? Many religions teach that only humans have souls, and yet many animals are able to express their desires and feelings quite adequately (ask any cat-owner at feeding time). If a soulless animal can obviously express happiness or fear, is this caused purely by its brain or by some sort of mini-soul acting via the brain? If animals have some sort of soul, do they go to Heaven when they die, or is their existence simply extinguished (just as if their personality was indeed caused by the brain)?

If the brain is simply a link-point for the soul, then how can drugs affect the state of the soul? If you take some mind-altering drugs, the chemical balance in your brain will be altered, but how can chemicals have any effect on the immaterial soul floating along with the brain? How do antidepressant drugs stop a nonphysical soul from feeling depressed?"
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2010
Deep Sight:

What do you mean by this?

The subject in this case is not Me, but my Parasite status.

Can I exist as a parasite, or better still Can a Parasite Exist Without Someone To Parisite Off?
Re: Mind-body Problem by ancel(m): 6:59pm On Jan 06, 2010
Bookmarked. Sounds like an interesting discussion!
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2010
Pastor AIO:

So what is the function of the Soul? What does it do?

What is the function of God?

What does it do?
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:06pm On Jan 07, 2010
Pastor AIO:

The subject in this case is not Me, but my Parasite status.

Can I exist as a parasite, or better still Can a Parasite Exist Without Someone To Parisite Off?

Did you miss what i said? - - -

Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2010
Deep Sight will you answer a simple question? What is the function of the soul and what does it do?
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
^^^ The Soul is the being. It is the real entity.

The brain being a tool is what can be said to have a function in temporal terms.

THE soul cannot be spoken of as having a function in real terms. . . at best it can be said that it is the natural emanation of the energy of divinity and the self expression of the universal mind. . .
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 3:56pm On Jan 07, 2010
Deep Sight:

^^^ The Soul is the being. It is the real entity.

The brain being a tool is what can be said to have a function in temporal terms.

THE soul cannot be spoken of as having a function in real terms. . . at best it can be said that it is the natural emanation of the energy of divinity and the self expression of the universal mind. . .

Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 4:04pm On Jan 07, 2010
Toney will you positively assert to me that the Brain itself is a creature . . .

Does it not make more sense to assert that creatures have brains. . .

Address that!
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 4:11pm On Jan 07, 2010
Deep Sight:

Toney will you positively assert to me that the Brain itself is a creature . . .

Does it not make more sense to assert that creatures have brains. . .

Address that!

The brain is not the creature but it controls every part of the creature. Thoughts, voluntary and involuntary actions all have their origins from the brain. Where then does the soul come into play here? Where in the human body does the soul reside?
Re: Mind-body Problem by DeepSight(m): 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2010
toneyb:

The brain is not the creature but it controls every part of the creature.

Thanks - here you have positively asserted that the brain is NOT the creature. . . the problem then rebounds on you to answer: what is the creature?

Thoughts, voluntary and involuntary actions all have their origins from the brain

Have you ever heard of thought waves?

Where then does the soul come into play here?

It comes into play in answering the question: what is the function of the brain? A tool for what. . .or who. . .?

Where in the human body does the soul reside

It is said to be attached to the physical at the point of the base of the cerebellum. Shhh. . .na secret be that o.
Re: Mind-body Problem by easylogic(m): 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2010
Thanks all for the lively contributions.

Going back to my OP, i had asked What happened to Tom after the split-brain surgery.

As expected,no one has been able to answer this question,and i beleive if materialism is true,then we can't answer this question.

Some asked then what do souls do.And pointed out that if the brain is damaged then we lose consciouness etc. This shows a misunderstanding of what dualists believe.

Dualists agree that Brain activity does cause consciouness.Consciousness gives rise to a soul/being/person.

Therefore we are not saying that consciousness is caused by the Soul,we are saying the state of being conscious and thinking is what is the soul.
Therefore asking what is the function of the soul is like asking what is the function of a person!

Where Dualists defer with non-dualists is the assertation that Consciousness is JUST brain activity.

Therefore a dualist will agree with you 100 percent that,if the brain is damaged we will lack consciousness.But he will disagree with you when you say that Persons/souls are nothing more than Brain activity.

And my argument and scenario illustrates this.If persons or consciousness is simply physical,i.e no need of postulating a non-material entity,then in the split brain scenario we should be able to tell know all the facts about Tom.

1.If materialism is true,then it should be possible to know all the material facts of a given thing

2.In my scenario,we can't know what happend to tom.

3.therefore materialism is false.
Re: Mind-body Problem by MyJoe: 12:58pm On Jan 08, 2010
I see easylogic ignored my questions. An embryo growing in the womb is just tissues. When he is born he takes a breath and the brain starts developing and taking in info. At what point does he acquire the soul? If the work of the soul is just "consciousness and thinking" can it not be argued that it is superfluous since the brain does consciousness and thinking according to science? I believe the soul theory cannot be demonstrated with a reasonable degree of success while repudiating the doctrine of reincarnation. I was hoping easylogic will show me the error in this thinking. I guess his purpose is merely to show us we have a dual nature, and not the nature of the dual nature.

Thus what really does the soul do, ? Maybe some other thread in the future will go further.
Re: Mind-body Problem by easylogic(m): 1:38pm On Jan 08, 2010
MyJoe:

I did not ignore your question I answered it in my previous post.

[QUOTE]At what point does he acquire the soul?[/QUOTE]

As i said earlier, the Soul in Theism or Dualism is what we refer as to the person.Therefore are you asking," At what point does a baby become a person?"

[QUOTE]can it not be argued that it is superfluous since the brain does consciousness and thinking according to science?[/QUOTE]

As i said in my earlier post, Dualist believe the same thing too!

For example, The act of running. Running is triggered by Brain activity,a series of nuerons with information goes to the spinal chord and legs and the relevant muscles which start the processs of running.

But we do not say that Brains run,we say People,or persons run.Without a conscious thinking individual to make that choice of running,running would be impossible.Brains do not decide to run,Persons,decide to run.This conscious and thinking entity which has made the decision to run,is what dualists call the Soul/Person.
Re: Mind-body Problem by MyJoe: 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2010
I read all you wrote earlier. In speaking of superfluity I meant that the soul would not be necessary if all it does is what the brain does quite adequately.

I do not reject the dual nature of man. From your last post, where we disagree is this:
easylogic:

As i said earlier, the Soul in Theism or Dualism is what we refer as to the person.Therefore are you asking," At what point does a baby become a person?"
It does not appear that when fertilisation takes place what is formed is a soul or possesses a soul, that which is immortal and departs from the body at death. It is mere tissue with all the works - dna and all. Fertilisation is material, what grows therefrom is material. That which is immaterial can only from without.
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 5:03pm On Jan 08, 2010
Here is an interesting video from Mazaje's youtube mega list.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsPn5dXfTvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Mind-body Problem by PastorAIO: 5:39pm On Jan 08, 2010
toneyb:

Here is an interesting video from Mazaje's youtube mega list.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsPn5dXfTvA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]

O pari o! You don talk am finish. Nothing more to add.
Re: Mind-body Problem by toneyb: 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2010
Pastor AIO:

O pari o!  You don talk am finish.  Nothing more to add.

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Was Jesus Christ A Rich Man With An Accountant? / What Kind Of HOPE Does Your Pastor Preach? / How To Seperate Fact From Fiction...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.