Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,367 members, 7,829,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali (61663 Views)

Bassey /Joshua: The 1st And Current World Boxing Champions Both Nigerian-British / South Africa’s Tete Makes Boxing History With Fastest World Title Knockout / Anthony Joshua: The World Heavy Weight Champion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 10:29am On Apr 30, 2017
jerfey114:
It's too early abeg. grin
Who go win between this guy and Mayweather
Na different divisions dem dey na.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by chiraqDemon(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Anthony Ali
Wish i could watch the match but i couldnt find any channel that showed it
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 10:32am On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Dude, different folks age differently. Stop comparing foreman to Klitschko. They both aged differently. Besides, Foreman retired earlier in his career and did not have as much mileage on him than Klitschko has right now and that's why he was able to come back.

Secondly, Klitschko lost to Deontay Wilder in the previous fight. In fact the fight was so bad that Klitschko could barely even get off punches talkless of landing them. That showed how much his skills have eroded. Like i said earlier, father time has caught to the man and he needs to walk away.
First you are taking my line. I already said that
Different people age differently
Which you already quoted but earlier you said

davidif:

Age is everything in sport especially boxing.
So if you can agree to that then there really is nothing left to discuss is there? Make up your mind which is it

STOP CONTRADICTING YOURSELF

Foreman did not have as much mileage? A guy who had 40 professional fights at age 25 and 81 professional fights in total? If he was to have mileage how manyy fights would he have?

2 Likes

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Brushless: 10:33am On Apr 30, 2017
jerfey114:
Mayweather is not in heavyweight division, but if he want to commit Harakiri, he may jump over to heavyweight and sleep peacefully ever after.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 10:41am On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

First you are taking my line. I already said that
Different people age differently
Which you already quoted but earlier you said

So if you can agree to that then there really is nothing left to discuss is there? Make up your mind which is it

STOP CONTRADICTING YOURSELF

Foreman did not have as much mileage? A guy who had 40 professional fights at age 25 and 81 professional fights in total? If he was to have mileage how manyy fights would he have?

At no point did i contradict myself. What i said is that a fighter is not the same at 41 as he is at 27. He might still beat some bums at age 45 or even 50 but will he be the same fighter that he was in his 20's? The answer is a big emphatic NO!!!!!
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by okrote4real: 10:42am On Apr 30, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

Bab belle...

Go fight am na...

You wan carry dead body abi? grin
BiafranBushBoy:

Bab belle...

Go fight am na...

You wan carry dead body abi?
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Brushless: 10:44am On Apr 30, 2017
Mrchippychappy:
comparing the late great ali to this over blotted, steroid taking bouncer "boxer" lol, nothing pesin no go hear for this Nairaland. Wladmir has demanded a rematch AJ don enta one chance cool cool
You must have been the doctor doping him with steroid. Will it be bad asking you to do same and let's see you. Then what is one chance about this, Wladimir is just demanding his right as any other boxer stripped of his crown, it doesnt mean he will come out blazing immediately. They both has a little time to prepare again and if AJ want, he may decide to fight other boxers before giving Wladimir another chance.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by stantoche: 10:48am On Apr 30, 2017
argob44:
Boxing fans were proclaiming Anthony Joshua the new Muhammad Ali after a picture of their two most famous knockouts were circulated side by side on social media.

Joshua stopped heavyweight legend Wladimir Klitschko in the eleventh round thanks in part to an explosive uppercut.

It will go down as an iconic moment for the 27-year-old and many believe he could be as good and as big as Muhammad Ali. Boxing fans could not help but notice the resemblance between Ali’s knockout celebration and Joshua’s. See the photo below:

Source: http://www.asbgistng.com/2017/04/boxing-fans-proclaim-joshua-new-muhammad-ali.html

Anthony Joshua is a big gain that Nigeria lost. See how he makes his marks...I just read it from: http://www.globbic.com/27-year-old-joshua-beats-41-year-old-klitschko-in-world-heavyweight-boxing-competition/
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by chiraqDemon(m): 10:51am On Apr 30, 2017
If his name was on a criminal case, some ppl on nl will be like, this one that has never seen nigeria before, he is only bearing name or only his parents are from nigeria. But now that its on better thing everybody is saying nigerian guy, yoruba guy. Im just saying o.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by sim2003: 10:53am On Apr 30, 2017
jerfey114:
no be the same level .this na heavy weight abeg
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by sunnyeinstein(m): 10:54am On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

Boxing is not matthematics and age is overrated. People said Ali was too old at 32 when he fought Foreman who was even more fearsome than Tyson at 25 years in 1974. At 25 Foreman had fought 40 professional fights only 3 of which went the distance.
Geore foreman came back at over 45 to knock out Michael Moorer.
He fought Holyfield at 42 and even though he lost on points he gave a good account of himself. Certainly one of the hardest heavyweights ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLpLmnPPd8

Baba i dey watch dat match now and you have to give foreman credit at 42 mhen! The guy's defence was bam, and he did it without dancing. And holyfield's leg work was damn! See correct punches!
Omo, am tripping for foreman's defence system oo
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 10:56am On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

At no point did i contradict myself. What i said is that a fighter is not the same at 41 as he is at 27. He might still beat some bums at age 45 or even 50 but will he be the same fighter that he was in his 20's? The answer is a big emphatic NO!!!!!
If people age differently some will get better as they age while others the same age will get worse.
A boxer at 25 is not the same as he was when he was 24 or 23 or will be at 27 28 29 30 40 and so on.

Some heavyweights are better in their 20s while others do their best work in their 30s and a few might in their 40s. So you cannot make any sweeping generalization as if 40 is some magicallyy ordained number from God.

We Have Serena Williams breaking all kinds of age records even winning a slam when pregnant.

Youhave not told us the model of ageing which you are propounding rather you continue to shift the parameters. You saiid age is EVERYTHING . EVERYTHING. No one forcedyou to say that.

I gave you examples ,that of Bernard Hopkins is particularly outstanding as he has beaten men young enough to be his children against all odds for World Titles.

Heavyweight boxing lends itself to this kind of thing because all it takes is one punch. So on the day we have to take it as we see it and stop all this silly speculation of a 30 year old Klitschko. To my mind this one is even better because he has experience. Who did the 30 year old version beat?
What seems clearer these days if a sportsman or woman paces themselves then they can go on for much longer and do their better work well into their 40s
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 11:03am On Apr 30, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Baba i dey watch dat match now and you have to give foreman credit at 42 mhen! The guy's defence was bam, and he did it without dancing. And holyfield's leg work was damn! See correct punches!
That was a time when we would stay awake late to watch heavweight boxing. There were so many entertaining fights

Ask how this klitschko would have fared against that Holyfield
from time Foreman no dey dance. He just knocked people out .In his first 40 fights only 3 went the distance and that was why people thought he would literally kill Ali. You need to see what he did to Joe Frazier who was not beans.

Frazier had already beaten Alii by the time they met
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Yameater(m): 11:05am On Apr 30, 2017
smogup:
Nigeria's miss is UK's gain. Anyways the forces that be in Nigeria might have stopped him from reaching his full potential
You are very correct
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 11:06am On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:
If people age differently some will get better as they age while others the same age will get worse.
A boxer at 25 is not the same as he was when he was 24 or 23 or will be at 27 28 29 30 40 and so on.

Some heavyweights are better in their 20s while others do their best work in their 30s and a few might in their 40s. So you cannot make any sweeping generalization as if 40 is some magicallyy ordained number from God.

We Have Serena Williams breaking all kinds of age records even winning a slam when pregnant.

Youhave not told us the model of ageing which you are propounding rather you continue to shift the parameters. You saiid age is EVERYTHING . EVERYTHING. No one forcedyou to say that.

I gave you examples ,that of Bernard Hopkins is particularly outstanding as he has beaten men young enough to be his children against all odds for World Titles.

Heavyweight boxing lends itself to this kind of thing because all it takes is one punch. So on the day we have to take it as we see it and stop all this silly speculation of a 30 year old Klitschko. To my mind this one is even better because he has experience. Who did the 30 year old version beat?
What seems clearer these days if a sportsman or woman paces themselves then they can go on for much longer and do their better work well into their 40s

hahaha, did you see Hopkins last fight that forced him into retirement? did you see how sorry he looked?

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by gentle007(m): 11:06am On Apr 30, 2017
Everytime I watch boxing, I am even more convinced that WWE is fake. See real undiluted brutality with no weapons or magomago.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Oluwakemian: 11:07am On Apr 30, 2017
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by davidif: 11:07am On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by sunnyeinstein(m): 11:07am On Apr 30, 2017
aribisala0:

That was a time when we would stay awake late to watch heavweight boxing. There were so many entertaining fights

Ask how this klitschko would have fared against that Holyfield
from time Foreman no dey dance. He just knocked people out .In his first 40 fights only 3 went the distance and that was why people thought he would literally kill Ali. You need to see what he did to Joe Frazier who was not beans.

Frazier had already beaten Alii by the time they met

Round one, no question!
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by goodvision12(m): 11:11am On Apr 30, 2017
PataAlhaja:

You sure have a point. His first name is "Oluwafemi" and his close fam and friends call him "Femi" till date. His mum's name is Yeta Odusanya and his favourite food is pounded yam and egusi soup. He actually spent 2 years in a boarding school in Nigeria.

The reason he chose his English name, "Anthony" as his professional name is very obvious. He had to portray his "Britishness" as strong as possible for him to get to where he is today.

As a Yoruba boy, I wish he had stuck to the name "Oluwafemi Joshua", though ...

Proudly Afonja!

Iyalaya anybody!
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 11:13am On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

hahaha, did you see Hopkins last fight that forced him into retirement? did you see how sorry he looked?

I am talking about ALL HIS FIGHTS OVER THE AGE OF 40 and you reference his LAST FIGHT

Eventually time will catch up no one is arguing that so what is your point?
You are contradicting your claim that age is everything
Or that a 30 year old Klitschko was better when infact he was only fighting journeymen .
My point is you cannot just say 40 is the magic number for everyone.
Some 40 year olds will beat some 20 year olds at THE HIGHEST LEVEL.
We have seen this many times

1 Like

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Longcucumber(m): 11:18am On Apr 30, 2017
ednut1:
which one be bad belle na. Too soon for comparison. Mk i go fight am. U wan send me into 50 years coma abi
coma ke,walahi if you enter coma you na strong man.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by aribisala0(m): 11:23am On Apr 30, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

This is another one I recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izY9RHhc9Gw
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Eluwilussit(m): 11:23am On Apr 30, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Bros, if u no sabi use leg switch to evade a punch to fake an attack or launch an attack, u wont last one round in the ring.
The leg work launches d body n hands

Leg work na wetin them dey use market the sport. Tyson get leg work? Evander Hollifield get leg work? Lewis? Kĺitchko brothers? Just to mention a few.

Now, i am not saying that leg work isn't a good thing to have, but it is just not the main thing in boxing. It is simply something that makes a fighter look sharp and fun to watch.

When u are a superman like our dear AJ, u don't bother much with that. You confront one and all, and never back off for no one. Raw strength and will. grin grin grin
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by SirShymexx: 11:25am On Apr 30, 2017
ednut1:
Abeg. He has no skill or leg movement. Lame comparison. Showed grit tho. Abeg make una no use mention kill me grin. D guy is d best presently. D comparison be lik d usual messi/ronaldo vs pele argument

Lmao @ he has no skill or leg movement. You just showed you're a casual and exposed the fact that you're a boxing novice. grin

In as much as it's blasphemous to compare him to the gawd, Ali (Ali was a heavyweight champion who fought like a lightweight - pure greatness)...AJ is the best thing to happen to heavyweight boxing in a long time.

Most people forget that he started boxing at 18 when the average boxer has already fought tens of amateur fights and some are pros. And he just turned pro 4 years ago and he's only 19 fights in. How many boxers not named Ali fought a champion like Wladimir Klitschko after 18 fights? Even Mike Tyson fought a lot of bums and tomato cans...and his first half-decent Larry Holmes who had already lost a step and was looking flabby and sick. And Tyson was already 33 fights in. And Tyson never even beat any real boxing hall of famer, apart from Larry Holmes and a stiff Frank Bruno. But I'm sure a lot of you would talk about how great Mike Tyson was. grin And don't tell me George Foreman was skilled either. grin

AJ is still green and inexperienced as a boxer and that's what a lot of people don't understand. And the fact that he took the fight when he's clearly not ready for a fight of this magnitude showed his heart. And he showed a lot of heart, grit, and endurance to come back after what happened in the 6th round. That's a warrior and a true champion. Champions are made based on how they overcome adversity and he passed with flying colours yesterday.

He has no skills and leg movement, yet he won Olympics gold medal and definitely a Cuban legend on his way there...and when he decides to box, he can actually box. The only thing about him that's negative apart from his inexperience is that he carries too much muscles yet throws barrage of punches like a lightweight whenever he thinks he has a chance to knock people out. And you can't do that in the heavyweight division, else you'll always gas yourself out and leave yourself open to attack, especially against fighters with experience and great chin. And he has done that twice now. However, he's going to learn.

And to those claiming Wlad is 41 years old...the German reporters (Wlad is based in Germany - he turned pro there and he fights in the country, so they know him better than everyone else) at the post-match press conference said that was the best fight Wlad fought since he turned pro and in his 29 title defenses. So, a younger Wlad wouldn't have done anything different because AJ was able to hold and weave after he gassed out when coasting from round 6 (after the knock down) - 9. He took some bad shots but he showed he has a good chin. Wlad's also an experienced fighters and he was also cautious. Rushing forward after the knock down in the 6th like AJ did in the 5th would've been disastrous for him as well.

Give props to the new king - that's the best heavyweight boxing match in over a decade. Heavyweight boxing is back!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Eluwilussit(m): 11:30am On Apr 30, 2017
SirShymexx:

Lmao @ he has no skill or leg movement. You just showed you're a casual and exposed the fact that you're a boxing novice. grin

In as much as it's blasphemous to compare him to the gawd, Ali (Ali was a heavyweight champion who fought like a lightweight - pure greatness)...AJ is the best thing to happen to heavyweight boxing in a long time.

Most people forget that he started boxing at 18 when the average boxer has already fought tens of amateur fights and some are pros. And he just turned pro 4 years ago and he's only 19 fights in. How many boxers not named Ali fought a champion like Wladimir Klitschko after 18 fights? Even Mike Tyson fought a lot of bums and tomato cans...and his first half-decent Larry Holmes who had already lost a step and was looking flabby and sick. And Tyson was already 33 fights in. And Tyson never even beat any real boxing hall of famer, apart from Larry Holmes and a stiff Frank Bruno. But I'm sure a lot of you would talk about how great Mike Tyson was. grin And don't tell me George Foreman was skilled either. grin

AJ is still green and inexperienced as a boxer and that's what a lot of people don't understand. And the fact that he took the fight when he's clearly not ready for a fight of this magnitude showed his heart. And he showed a lot of heart, grit, and endurance to come back after what happened in the 6th round. That's a warrior and a true champion. Champions are made based on how they overcome adversity and he passed with flying colours yesterday.

He has no skills and leg movement, yet he won Olympics gold medal and definitely a Cuban legend on his way there...and when he decides to box, he can actually box. The only thing about him that's negative apart from his inexperience is that he carries too much muscles yet throws barrage of punches like a lightweight whenever he thinks he has a chance to knock people out. And you can't do that in the heavyweight division, else you'll always gas yourself out and leave yourself open to attack, especially against fighters with experience and great chin. And he has done that twice now. However, he's going to learn.

And to those claiming Wlad is 41 years old...the German reporters (Wlad is based in Germany - he turned pro there and he fights in the country, so they know him better than everyone else) at the post-match press conference said that was the best fight Wlad fought since he turned pro and in his 29 title defenses. So, a younger Wlad wouldn't have done anything different because AJ was able to hold and weave after he gassed out when coasting from round 6 (after the knock down) - 9. He took some bad shots but he showed he has a good chin. Wlad's also an experienced fighters and he was also cautious. Rushing forward after the knock down in the 6th like AJ did in the 5th would've been disastrous for him as well.

Give props to the new king - that's the best heavyweight boxing match in over a decade. Heavyweight boxing is back!

Thats real talk from a real man. No mind all the small small children talking rubbish. angry
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by luminouz(m): 11:31am On Apr 30, 2017
davidif:

Ogbeni u can lie ooooo....klitschko was beaten by deontay wilder Where? Ur dreams N stop with d bullshiiit weak defence ur putting up...u contradicted ursef n its pathetic!!!!! Ur just a sore loser!! Hope u didn't use ur house rent to play bet9ja on d match!!!

1 Like

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Nobody: 11:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Greatigbos:

grin. Yoruba boy wey no dey proud to use his yoruba name
Does Samuel Peters use his igbo name? He's Olorunfemi. He did what that hairy Akwa Ibom weakling couldn't do. tongue

3 Likes

Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Culin(f): 11:42am On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
The guy try sha but he called out Tyson Fury, so we see. Beating Wlad doesn't mean he's better, UK media can overhype their own, he should be careful

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Culin(f): 11:44am On Apr 30, 2017
mjbaba:

Sharrap.

No leg movement, no skill but 19 KOs in 19 fights. Who leg movement epp? When e no be Psquare

Hahaha psquare
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by Culin(f): 11:46am On Apr 30, 2017
PataAlhaja:

You sure have a point. His first name is "Oluwafemi" and his close fam and friends call him "Femi" till date. His mum's name is Yeta Odusanya and his favourite food is pounded yam and egusi soup. He actually spent 2 years in a boarding school in Nigeria.

The reason he chose his English name, "Anthony" as his professional name is very obvious. He had to portray his "Britishness" as strong as possible for him to get to where he is today.

As a Yoruba boy, I wish he had stuck to the name "Oluwafemi Joshua", though ...

Proudly Afonja!

Iyalaya anybody!

TWO years in Nigeria. Haba.
Re: This Photo Makes Boxing Fans Proclaim Anthony Joshua The New Muhammad Ali by AlanTuringAI: 11:51am On Apr 30, 2017
Mrchippychappy:

19 fights against who? The only respectable fight AJ has had was against WK last night and we all had our hearts in our throat. An ageing 40 something year old knocked down the "new" muhammed ali twice lol. At 22 ALI held the WBA, WBC titles. Guys lets not get caught up in the hype, AJ na body builder and there is a GREAT difference between bodybuilding and boxing. He has no foot work, no athleticism , no body movement. He is very lucky he didn't face the same WK that carried out a facial surgery on Samuel peter 7yrs ago. WK don old finish na.
Since yesterday this guy won the fight, you've been all over this forum spreading your bile everywhere simply because he happens to have a Yoruba middlename. I know if the guy's middle name happened to be Emeka or Chukwudi, you've termed him the best thing since sliced bread. Please try to purge your heart off hate. It only attracts negative energy into your life. Live and let live.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Equatorial Guinea Vs Nigeria: AWCON 2018 (0 - 6) On 24th November 2018 / Iran Women Attend First Football Match In 40 Years (Photos) / Anthony Joshua's Sister Shows Him Support After His Defeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.