Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,247 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Is First Love Overrated? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is First Love Overrated? (2866 Views)

The Most Overrated African Women In Terms Of Beauty? / Must Your First Love Be Your True Love ? / To Marry Your First Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is First Love Overrated? by pearl73(f): 4:26pm On Jan 26, 2007
Would really like to get ur input on this. I just broke up with my 1st boyfriend. it lasted 8 years and down the line i lost track of why i was even hanging on. he was a habitual cheat. the type thats all about promises and sweet dreams but runs after d nearest girl whenever he feels he has a chance of doing so without getting caught. i turned into ashley cole. Marking him so much i lost track of me and concentrated on keeping him from cheating. Pathetic se? embarassed i think i hung on because i truly believed your first relationship is supposed to be special in a way.i've heard so many sob stories from friends that were burnt d 1st time. i've never heard a story as stupid as mine though. i think we are all naive and vulnerable the first time and tend to tolerate much more than we usually would. i'm just so angry with myself for staying so stupid for so long. angry angry angry
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Seun(m): 4:30pm On Jan 26, 2007
Sorry about the experience. I think "love" itself is over-rated. The idea that it is all that matters is very wrong.

People tend to act foolishly the first time they experience reciprocated affection from the opposite sex. It's normal.

But, 8 years? You must have been doing something else with your life during that period. Like getting educated?
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by soulpatrol(f): 4:35pm On Jan 26, 2007
ha ha. seun. i do hope so too. cool
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 26, 2007
I wonder if Seun has ever dated a girl! tongue
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by usoldier(m): 4:53pm On Jan 26, 2007
Oh alas what Love will cause, losing your First love is always painful, i have been a victim jilted by my first love, but as luck and God will have it be, i met a more special woman in fact more special than the first, take heart all will well in a very short time.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Seun(m): 5:04pm On Jan 26, 2007
I wonder if Seun has ever dated a girl!
Yes, and I did act very foolishly at the time. Never again will I do things that way! wink
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by 1forall: 5:05pm On Jan 26, 2007
Stuff like that teach you how to balance your emotions in relationships. You learn to separate sentiment from emotions after you go through such, you learn to use your head too, not only your heart. Shame it took you 8 years to realise, pele.  I guess youre stronger now right?
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by tcherokee(m): 5:15pm On Jan 26, 2007
Yes, Love is overrated, first love even more so. Especially by girls, but i guess it is normal. Every girl hopes the first person she dates will be the one she will eventually end up with and that can make them take a lot of bull**** from a guy. Instead of trying to make a bad relationship work, just because he is your first love, you should spend that time looking for more reliable and responsible guys , Like me, (Just Kidding wink)

Anyway, you'll eventually meet someone that will deserve you. Just use this time to reflect on the relationship, what you liked and hated about it, it will prepare you for your next one.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by pearl73(f): 5:37pm On Jan 26, 2007
smiley i'm not THAT silly. finishd school and started my masters. At least i still have a career to concentrate on.i actually met him when i was 15. guess i was too idealistic.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by firestar(f): 6:48pm On Jan 26, 2007
embarassed cry
Pele I feel ur pain,

Hav a similiar xperience, and haven't dated a guy since that time.
The first cut is the deepest, u know. I hope u're strong now, yes?

Good luck smiley wink cool
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 26, 2007
I acted foolish too. Fortunately my friend stopped me before I could I could touch the depth kiss cheesy
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Scorpio(f): 9:51pm On Jan 26, 2007
Seun:

Yes, and I did act very foolishly at the time. Never again will I do things that way! wink
lol, are u serious or u are just pulling our legs? if you are, i'm curious n i want to know more,,,,what happened to her n y did y'all break up? grin *i kno it's ur bizness, but most peeps who've been on NL long enough would feel my pain* cheesy wink
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by GeeCee(m): 10:23pm On Jan 26, 2007
Sorry. Losin d first lov is always painful. I lost mine 10 years ago and i still feel d pain till now. But i have learnt 2 livf with it. Take heart and go ahead with yor life. U can get someone better.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by edmondo(m): 10:26pm On Jan 26, 2007
i feel 4 u girl,chit happen at times.most girls always think dey re gonna get married to their first love.
piss out
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by ceceee(f): 11:27pm On Jan 26, 2007
my first love was too gud to be true,too romantic,too nice,he was like the perfect guy,till i caught him, guess?
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Nobody: 3:29am On Jan 27, 2007
my first love!!! cool
hmmmmm it took me more than 5 yrs to get over our "break up".
We're just friends now, we've learnt to live with the fact that we may not really be meant for each other anymore despite the fact that we tried so hard to get back together in 2004 after a 6 yr break up!

Now we tease each other about our girl or boy! She's involved with someone else now and they may be getting married. Seeing her happy with the guy is probably the best thing i could have wished for her!
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by ikamefa(f): 4:29am On Jan 27, 2007
@ topic i have a similar experience to yours my 1st love was a cheat ,a chronic cheat! hang in there you will get over him like i did mine and believe me a better love will always come your way and yes 1st love is overrated!
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Tobiegal(f): 10:08am On Jan 30, 2007
wow,
wot can i say. wel, it cool sha, especially wen it happens wen u r young. bt, d hurt always remains d same, but truth is, life goes on!
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by okwosi: 1:58pm On Feb 06, 2007
thoutmy dear, every disappointment is a blessin. the best man in d world is coming to u.God wld never shut ones door without opening anoda one.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by fellow(m): 2:53pm On Feb 06, 2007
definitely. we always believe that the was the best love we could ever have but then we meet someone who's definitely better than the first one.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Douzy(m): 3:07pm On Feb 06, 2007
My first relationship didn't last up to a year, say 10 or 11 months (likewise the subsequent ones). Can't even remember why I left her (. . . like, she was a talkative?). Well, I guess it was more of lust than love, and she would've stolen my V thingy. . ., but thank God she was paying her bloody monthly bill that night . . . LOL!
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by omoatere(m): 6:21pm On Feb 06, 2007
In most cases first love is overrated.I did it in my own case only to regret it.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Abdul15: 1:38pm On Feb 08, 2007
Lol
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Naturalle(f): 7:44pm On Nov 25, 2007
Girlie, first cut is the deepest cheesy but I think I can survive if he turned out to be such an asshole
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Hazeleyed(f): 1:16pm On Nov 26, 2007
first love is definitely overrated.i know cos am still with my first love and it feels like hell.the only reason why am still in that relationship is that am scared cos he keeps telling me that i'll be miserable if i leave him and how everyman is just out to have a good time with bad intention.God knows that i don't want to marry him,he's excessively jealous,insecure and is easily influenced.imagine telling me he can't help me do something cos his brother has never done it for his girlfriend.@ poster count urself lucky that u decided to break off this silly illusion,i only wish i have guts like u do.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by ThoniaSlim(f): 2:30pm On Nov 26, 2007
@hazel eyed

i won't be surprised if your really young at heart. don't allow that guy brainwash you, if you know he is not the best thing that happened to you dump him. don't allow him ruin your chances of being with a man who truly loves you and would respect you as a woman.

you don't allow your heart overshadow your logical thinking. a guy who tells you you would be miserable if you leave him, does not love or hold your interest at heart, he only does it for his selfish interest, after all he thinks he's got a dummy he can control.

he's telling you these things because he wants to scare you from making a move, and he would keep telling you lies because you don't have the courage to stand up to him. you need to create the courage and leave him because if you end up marrying him, you might be making a mistake you would end up regretting for the rest of your life. sad

@topic

it sure is over over rated.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by eddycapuro: 2:49pm On Nov 26, 2007
gat a lot of foolish ladies here. sorry y'all.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Hazeleyed(f): 12:27pm On Nov 27, 2007
@thoniaslim thanks.you are very right about me being young at heart, i know what to do but i just don't know how to do it, everyday i pray to God to give me the will to break off.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by yimiton(f): 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ Poster,
I'm glad you finally snaped out of it. It sure isn't easy.

Break ups with first love could indeed be painful but very few people actually end up with their first.
Re: Is First Love Overrated? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2008
yes it is over-rated. i hardly remember my first love.

(1) (Reply)

Can U Fight Over Ur Girl/guy / My Girlfriend Said Am Too Poor-money Ritual As Solution? / 6 Golden Rules For Single Ladies!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.