Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty (5895 Views)

Saraki Pleads Not Guilty To Amended 16 Counts / Saraki Pleads Not Guilty To Corruption Charges / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by AloyEmeka3: 3:53am On Jan 09, 2010
Christmas terror suspect pleads not guilty
Posted To The Web: Friday, January 08, 2010 - ED WHITE and DAVID RUNK

DETROIT – A Nigerian man pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he tried to blow up a packed U.S. Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab said little during a federal court hearing that lasted less than five minutes. The 23-year-old, who wore a white T-shirt, tennis shoes and light olive pants, said "yes" in English when asked if understood the charges against him.

Authorities say Abdulmutallab was traveling from Amsterdam when he tried to destroy the Northwest Airlines plane carrying nearly 300 people by injecting chemicals into a package of explosives concealed in his underwear. The failed attack caused popping sounds and flames that passengers and crew rushed to extinguish.

A grand jury indicted Abdulmutallab on six charges earlier this week. The most severe carries up to life in prison — the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

During Friday's hearing, Abdulmutallab stood at the podium along with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel and defense attorney Miriam Siefer and answered a few questions from Magistrate Judge Mark A. Randon.

When the judge asked if he had taken any drugs or alcohol in past 24 hours, he answered, "some pain pills." Siefer then said he was competent to understand the proceedings. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Mich., had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

His attorneys then waived the reading of the indictment, and the judge entered not guilty plea enter on his behalf.

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=12834&z=12
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by SeanT21(f): 5:04am On Jan 09, 2010
WOW~~SHOCKED!! shocked**I hope he learned his lesson**
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by nex(m): 6:44am On Jan 09, 2010
I was very alarmed to learn that the original charge brought against him by the Justice Department was "attempt to destroy an airplane" which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment with a fine of $250,000.

I still can't understand how or why.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by puskin: 6:50am On Jan 09, 2010
nex:

I was very alarmed to learn that the original charge brought against him by the Justice Department was "attempt to destroy an airplane" which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment with a fine of $250,000.

I still can't understand how or why.

. . . . . . and what can't you undestand.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by AloyEmeka3: 6:54am On Jan 09, 2010
puskin:

. . . . . . and what can't you undestand.

He wants him to be charged with an attempt to tarnish the good image of Nigeria and its inhabitants which carries a sentence of 22 years in prison to be served concurrently.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by puskin: 7:10am On Jan 09, 2010
Aloy`Emeka:

Christmas terror suspect pleads not guilty
Posted To The Web: Friday, January 08, 2010 - ED WHITE and DAVID RUNK

DETROIT – A Nigerian man pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he tried to blow up a packed U.S. Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab said little during a federal court hearing that lasted less than five minutes. The 23-year-old, who wore a white T-shirt, tennis shoes and light olive pants, said "yes" in English when asked if understood the charges against him.

Authorities say Abdulmutallab was traveling from Amsterdam when he tried to destroy the Northwest Airlines plane carrying nearly 300 people by injecting chemicals into a package of explosives concealed in his underwear. The failed attack caused popping sounds and flames that passengers and crew rushed to extinguish.

A grand jury indicted Abdulmutallab on six charges earlier this week. The most severe carries up to life in prison — the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

During Friday's hearing, Abdulmutallab stood at the podium along with Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan Tukel and defense attorney Miriam Siefer and answered a few questions from Magistrate Judge Mark A. Randon.

When the judge asked if he had taken any drugs or alcohol in past 24 hours, he answered, "some pain pills." Siefer then said he was competent to understand the proceedings. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Mich., had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

His attorneys then waived the reading of the indictment, and the judge entered not guilty plea enter on his behalf.
http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=12834&z=12

Why couldn't he enter the "not guilty" plea for himself
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by slap1(m): 7:23am On Jan 09, 2010
That boy is done for, it's only a matter of time.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 09, 2010
Poor dude
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Kobojunkie: 7:59am On Jan 09, 2010
I will not be shocked if he walks off with 5 years, or thereabout. We are speaking of America at the end of the day. Some Rights group might come up claiming his PRIVACY rights were violated! lol
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by puskin: 8:04am On Jan 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I will not be shocked if he walks off with 5 years, or thereabout. We are speaking of Africa at the end of the day. Some group might come up claiming his PRIVACY rights were violated! lol

In the US. . . . .nahhhhh!. . . . . highly unlikely.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Beaf: 8:05am On Jan 09, 2010
He will spend his life in jail.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVUB_79ucE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by bluespice(f): 8:08am On Jan 09, 2010
He's looking at life now. Times like this i wish we were still in the 17th century where public burnings and be-headings were quite the norm.
I do not condone violence for anything much less so in the name of religion. What reason did he have?
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Beaf: 8:10am On Jan 09, 2010
When the judge asked if he had taken any drugs or alcohol in past 24 hours, he answered, "[size=14pt]some pain pills[/size]." Siefer then said he was competent to understand the proceedings. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Mich., had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

Beware of castration, it might be painful. grin
All hail Farouks self inflicted eunuchry! grin grin grin
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by kegikwanu(m): 9:10am On Jan 09, 2010
What reason did he have?
, only a stupid, backward and mentally disturbed fool would do such actions, I still wonder when an official statement of the so called representatives will be made. now innocent nigerians (most of them biafrans anyway) are punished worldwide for this islamic fundamentalist, which way nigeria is heading to,
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by bluespice(f): 9:16am On Jan 09, 2010
kegikwanu:

, only a silly, backward and mentally disturbed fool would do such actions, I still wonder when an official statement of the so called representatives will be made. now innocent nigerians (most of them biafrans anyway) are punished worldwide for this islamic fundamentalist, which way nigeria is heading to,
can you keep your separatist tribalistic views aside for one flipping moment!
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by chrisical(m): 9:53am On Jan 09, 2010
deranged armadillo
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by kegikwanu(m): 10:00am On Jan 09, 2010
separatist tribalistic views,
u must be kiddin,

first: I`m not tribalistic
second: I am not too much religious
third: was it a roman catholic or a protestant on christmas eve??

If u can analayse sick behaviour then let go.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by bluespice(f): 10:06am On Jan 09, 2010
You obviously are not familiar with the process of using bolded bits in quotes as ways to draw attention to what the quote was about.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by jtkoko9(f): 10:27am On Jan 09, 2010
quite suprising, what's next? sad
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by damola1: 10:59am On Jan 09, 2010
Is it possible to pay someone or have Nigerians go out there in the future when the case is heard again to show signs that says:

" Nigerians are not and will never support Terrorism, he hasn't lived in Nigeria in the last 10 years " simple!!
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by habumaks(m): 11:37am On Jan 09, 2010
damola1:

Is it possible to pay someone or have Nigerians go out there in the future when the case is heard again to show signs that says:

" Nigerians are not and will never support Terrorism, he hasn't lived in Nigeria in the last 10 years " simple!!

My thoughts exactly!
He is only a Nigerian by blood. We don't hold views like this here. When did a Nigerian starts considering suicide for a cause? If Nigerians are ready to die because of oppression and other sentiments then i dont think this our useless leaders will be alive today inflicting pains and greavances on us.

I dont believe a typical Nigerian that  spent his life in Naija here can easily be 'brainwashed' to kill himself and others, simple!!
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by fugocisse: 11:45am On Jan 09, 2010
well in this case i think no human right group will ever help him! this is an act of terrorism, boy mutallab is going down for life, ur looking at a convict grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by r231(m): 12:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^human right for where i am sure they don't want to knw him right now
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Mutee: 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2010
habumaks:

I dont believe a typical Nigerian that  spent his life in Naija here can easily be 'brainwashed' to kill himself and others, simple!!

You don't know that for sure.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by zaragoza(m): 1:02pm On Jan 09, 2010
i can bet u, dat guy is not a nigerian!
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by noblegas2(m): 1:16pm On Jan 09, 2010
[size=25pt]islam is against terrorism[/size]
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by texazzpete(m): 1:19pm On Jan 09, 2010
It's okay, we don't need the muthaf***a to plead guilty. He probably thinks this is an episode of matlock. There's no way he's walking free, if he gets off lightly, Obama may as well kiss goodbye to a second term. Plus the attorney general will be finished if he gets off lightly.
So, Mr Mutallab, you'll pay for what you did. Pleading not guilty, bro? This ain't matlock.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by azeeza(f): 1:25pm On Jan 09, 2010
He is innocent until proven guilty.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by Cyberfreak(f): 1:36pm On Jan 09, 2010
Why would a man who is fanatical enough to die for a Islam, turn around and plead not guilty, lie, just because of 20 years?
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by azeeza(f): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2010
He will surely face the music.
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by habumaks(m): 1:53pm On Jan 09, 2010
Mutee:

You don't know that for sure.
Believe me mutee i know what I'm saying. BTW do you live in nigeria? if i may ask
Re: Mutallab Pleads Not Guilty by GP15: 1:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
Ohh farouk boy, u are wasting ur time pleading not guity, u will rot in jail, you have failed your people so you will not be getting your 72 virgins as promised, but instead will be welcom by 144 dark angels dat will kick ur ass in hell after ur jail term. Except u receive jesus in jail, he will always 4give u and u ar sure of making heaven

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hurricane Sandy: Will Nigeria Learn From The Emergency Response Plan Of USA? / Shock As PDP Races To 7% Lead / Niger Delta Activists; Annkio briggs– Dissociate South South From Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.