Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. (10786 Views)

'forbidding To Marry' Is A Heresy Ofthe Roman Catholic Church Rooted In Paganism / The Moody Heresy: The Biggest Lie In Christianity! / Tomb Of Christ Opened For The First Time In Centuries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by menxer: 3:05pm On May 10, 2017
5solas:

Can you know for sure a person is born again?
Whoever is born again was predestinated.
Did you not read Paul talking of vessels of wrath fitted for destruction? Did you not read of God consoling Paul and telling him to abide in a city because He has much people there?
How can anyone know who is born again?
Not possible.
There is no faithometer or spiritometer to measure that.

@bolded, That is as true as the reverse is.
Little by little we are peeling the layers...

@underlined, calls the creation story to question, making the Anunnaki version more believable.
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 3:10pm On May 10, 2017
menxer:

How can Predestination a Bible doctrine, a pillar of Christian belief, be a sham, just because it does not sync with your version of Christianity?
That's funny.

I expected you to understand when certain words are used in context. Did I say predestination is not taught in the bible? You mean because it is in the bible, every interpretation of it is right and can't be a sham? This has nothing to do with my version of Christianity. Predestination as currently being peddled doesn't just add up with other truths of the bible. It depicts God as a tyrant and man, His robots. So it's right to say it doesn't syn with the scriptures, not what I believed.

menxer:

@bolded, can you see that sticking out like a sore thumb? The "knowledge of right and wrong" I guess is not the one Adam was accused of getting.

Too much out of context quotes. I'm doubting if you're even getting the messages. All the same, nice mentioning you.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by 5solas(m): 3:54pm On May 10, 2017
menxer:

Not possible.

@underlined, calls the creation story to question, making the Anunnaki version more believable.
Those who are saved where predestined to be saved and believe in time.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 5:12pm On May 10, 2017
Splinz:

This is totally out of syn with what I have up there. Please read and understand.

Unfortunately there isn't going around this. In one of your posts you boldly and wrongly asserted that foreknowledge simply means knowing before hand. You agree that God knows before time everything.

So if this "God" you preach knows before hand a dear friend of yours (whom "he" claims to love so much)won't choose life why does he create him still?

Isn't this "God" you preach powerful enough to change your dear friend's will to choose him and be saved?

This "God" you preach claims to love every individual, has the power to save all of them but wont save them still but make them "savable" Let's not even start yarping about their inability to choose him on their own.

The "God" we preach claims to love his own who are of the world and has determined to save them all not letting anyone perish. The rest he doesn't save because He loves them not.

Which God is Almighty and truly loving?
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 5:27pm On May 10, 2017
An2elect2:

In one of your posts you boldly and wrongly asserted that foreknowledge simply means knowing before hand.

Wrong? Okay, teach me. What is foreknowledge?

An2elect2:

So if this "God" you preach knows before hand a dear friend of yours (whom "he" claims to love so much)won't choose life why does he create him still?

Now I'm fully convinced that you don't get the message. This is certainly not a question for me.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 10:13am On May 11, 2017
Splintz of course you are not stupid. I wasn't expecting you to accept your view of God even when it's so obvious. But let's see one of your posts about predestination bit by bit
Splinz:

But then, claiming that some are predestined to inherit eternal life
[i] Is this not biblical?
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by oaroloye(m): 12:11pm On May 11, 2017
SHALOM!

An2elect2:
Good morning everyone smiley This is a discussion thread about historical Christianity and salient church doctrines. It's important to every diligent student of the Bible to know what the Bible holds as truth, what the early churches believed and what the best and wisest men in history preached. And how passionate they were about what they preached. Guess? every wise person would consider why they held on to those truths even in the face of great opposition. Surely there has to be something in it!

THE PHARISEES BELIEVED IN PREDESTINATION.

. ACTS 5:34-40.

34. Then stood there up one in the Council,
a Pharisee,
named Gamaliel,
a Doctor of the Law,
had in reputation among all the people,
and commanded to put the Apostles
forth a little space;
35. And said unto them,

"Ye men of Israel,
take heed to yourselves
what ye intend to do
as touching these men.
36. "For before these days
rose up Theudas,
boasting himself to be somebody;
to whom a number of men,
about four hundred,
joined themselves:
who was slain;
and all, as many as obeyed him,
were scattered,
and brought to nought.
37. After this man rose up Judas of Galilee
in the days of the taxing,
and drew away much people after him:
he also perished;
and all,
even as many as obeyed him,
were dispersed.
38. “And now I say unto you,

'REFRAIN FROM THESE MEN,
AND LET THEM ALONE:
FOR IF THIS COUNSEL
OR THIS WORK BE OF MEN,
IT WILL COME TO NOUGHT:
39. "BUT IF IT BE OF GOD,
YE CANNOT OVERTHROW IT;
LEST HAPLY YE BE FOUND
EVEN TO FIGHT AGAINST GOD.' "

40. And to him they agreed:
and when they had called the Apostles,
and beaten them,
they commanded that they should not speak
in the Name of Jesus,
and let them go.

Brother 5Solas and any other person with sound contributions and/or questions are officially welcome.

I doubt that very much.

People prefer Strawman Opposition to their cherished ideas.

We would commence with a book by Loraine Boettner
[b]THE REFORMED DOCTRINE OF PREDESTINATION
You can download the PDF and it's corresponding audio files ( all on Google) smiley [/i][/b]

Let's not.

The Teaching is bullshit.

We don't need to go into any stupid "BOOK" for that.

WHO IS LORRAINE BOETTNER?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loraine_Boettner

Oh goody: Another Doctrine proposed by a WOMAN- what could possibly go wrong?
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 11, 2017
Splinz:

Oh sorry, I'm not arguing for/against Op's book. I'm only sharing what is predestination which the book seems to discussed.

But then, claiming that some are predestined to inherit eternal life and some, eternal death, doesn't portray God as loving but our very enemy. Yes. He is a monster who having predestined some to commit every conceivable sin, still went ahead and condemned these ones that were simply doing His bidding. What sort of a God is that? Is God then lying and being hypocritical when He said that He wants ALL to come to repentance and be saved? (Acts 17:30, 2 Peter 3:9)

Of course no. Let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

Nice one!

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by oaroloye(m): 12:27pm On May 11, 2017
menxer:

Not possible.

Foolish people say that things are "IMPOSSIBLE."
As if no one can know more than them.

Wise people say that THEY are the ones IGNORANT of how to do things.

There is a METER that can MEASURE FAITH and SPIRITUAL POWER.

It is called the E-Meter.

It is used in the SCIENTOLOGY Religion.

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:

This does not portray God as loving?Romans 8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What else does?

Let's look at what you consider as loving: God love Mr A(who is a slave of sin). Knew before time that Mr A won't choose life but rather death. Why are you not also mad at God for going ahead to bring into this world Mr A He love even when he knows his "fate" beforehand. Isn't this unloving to you?

That Romans is evidently referring to those call as a group, not individually. We could say this cos Judas was called, but was not glorified. The same could be said of Philetus and Hymenaeus. 2Tim 2:17, 18.

God created us in a way that we decide our own destiny, if not, you can't be predestined and yet be responsible for your actions. (Roman 6:23). That's a contradiction.

God does not foreknow what each individual would become, although He can do it, but evidence shows He does not ALWAYS use that ability. what is the need of doing that when He created you with freewill? As such what you say about Mr A and Mr B doesn't apply.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 12:49pm On May 11, 2017
Splinz:

Splinz:

Yes foreknowledge to a layman or in our world is having information of a thing before time. But it has a deeper meaning in the Bible than just knowing before hand. The "knowledge" in the word is not just information but connotes LOVE. FORE-LOVED=FORE=KNOWN.

Before looking at Romans 8:29, the Bible talks about God "knowing" or "foreknowing" some persons in a special kind of way. Where ever the word "know" appears it does not denote "information" as seen in the context of its use but it implies "love" "special affection"

For examples in Amos 3:2 God, speaking to Israel says,“You only have I known of all the families of the earth; therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities.”

The "known" above cannot mean "information" because God knows (in the sense of having information) other families too. But this "known" connotes a special knowing or "affection" "love" You only have I [loved] of all the families of the earth...

God, speaking to Jeremiah, said, “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you,” (Jeremiah 1:5).

God didn't say this about just any prophet. Not because He doesn't know about them but He doesn't know them in a special or affectionate way like He "knew" Jeremiah.

Jesus also used the word “knew” in the sense of personal, intimate awareness. “On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers’
It's not possible for Jesus not to know (have information of) these evildoers. Of course he must know everything about them including their wicked deeds. But the "knew" is an intimate kind of knowledge or love.
I Corinthians 8:3, “But if one loves God, one is known by him,” II Timothy 2:19, “the Lord knows those who are His."

The same "special knowing"

More: (You can check other translations)

Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Psalm 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Psalm 144:3 [b]LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!

Hosea 13:5 I knew you in the wilderness,
In the land of great drought.

Galatians 4:9 [b][u]But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

There is no how the meaning of "know" as we have seen won't be applied to the word "foreknowledge". Its usage and application is in harmony with the doctrinal system of the Bible.

Romans 8:29
For those God foreknewhe also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

The objects of God foreknowledge(fore-loving/caring) are not the actions or choices of persons but the objects of His foreknowledge are people/specific persons. Therefore, those "fore-loved" are those predestined to be conformed to the image of his son
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 11, 2017
5solas:

The doctrine of predestination was taught by Christ' himself, why should it pose a problem to His gospel?
Read John 6:44,65, John 10 and 17. Jesus continously talked of those GIVEN to Him and of His ''sheep'' and of those who could not hear His Word because they were not His ''sheep''. He also declared that it took the ''drawing '' of the Father for anyone to come to Him . Read also Matthew 11:25-27.

John 6:45 explains:

45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by Jehovah.’ Everyone who has listened to the Father and has learned comes to me"

So if any of the Jews back then were sincere lovers of God, they would easily accept what Jesus said and follow him. This doesn't mean that if you are blocked hearted like the pharisees and chooses not to believe in God no matter the evidence, that God will draw you. Draw you for what? To come and become a Christian halfheartedly?

Predestination would make God responsible for all the evil on earth today.

Even you, how do you know that you are not predestined to death? Your answer.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 1:07pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:
Splintz of course you are not stupid. I wasn't expecting you to accept your view of God even when it's so obvious. But let's see one of your posts about predestination bit by bit [i] Is this not biblical?

Let me help you complete that statement of mine you quoted:
...and some, eternal death, doesn't portray God as loving but our very enemy. Yes. He is a monster who having predestined some to commit every conceivable sin, still went ahead and condemned these ones that were simply doing His bidding.

Again, let me also help you understand my contentions here. The bible does not teach that some are predestined to inherit eternal life and some, eternal death. If it is true that our lives are predestined this way, then God is responsible for both good and evil. Yes, He is the cause of all our sins and disobedience—our woes. But no, “...Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right”? (Genesis 18:25)

In line with His will that none should perish but ALL should come to repentance and be saved, it is right to say that none is lost except he/she “...who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:4-6). It was on this premise that I said, if there's anyone in danger now, it is those who are CALLED—predestined in this AGE to be FIRST in God's plan of salvation for ALL. Yes, these are the ones who are currently being judged (1 Peter 4:17). And true to God's word, these called out ones [Greek: ekklesia] are very few (Luke 12:32). Be not deceived by the billions of “church goers.” The vast number of those who died before Christ and those who are not called yet will be given their chance of receiving salvation as prophesied in Ezekiel 37. Indeed, God is not in the business of mass condemnation.

So in summary, predestination or foreknowledge has to do with those called in this AGE; not those predestined to receive eternal life or death.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 11, 2017
5solas:

Could God have justly condemned all men as a result of Adams sin? Was He under obligation to save ALL men? Would He be unjust if He decided to save SOME and not ALL?

He won't be unjust if he decided to save some, and condemn many who chose the wrong path. but He would be unjust to predestine them for evil, and then kill them for acting out a role he wrote for them.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 1:13pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:
Yes foreknowledge to a layman or in our world is knowing before hand a thing. But it has a deeper meaning in the Bible than just knowing before hand.

Oh really?

An2elect2:

The "knowledge" in the word is not just information but connotes LOVE. FORE-LOVED=FORE=KNOWN.

Wow... Is there any FORE-HATED?
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 1:16pm On May 11, 2017
JMAN05:

He won't be unjust if he decided to save some, and condemn many who chose the wrong path. but He would be unjust to predestine them for evil, and then kill them for acting out a role he wrote for them.

Excellent! You got the message bro.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:

Unfortunately there isn't going around this. In one of your posts you boldly and wrongly asserted that foreknowledge simply means knowing before hand. You agree that God knows before time everything.

Isn't this "God" you preach powerful enough to change your dear friend's will to choose him and be saved?

This "God" you preach claims to love every individual, has the power to save all of them but wont save them still but make them "savable" Let's not even start yarping about their inability to choose him on their own.

The "God" we preach claims to love his own who are of the world and has determined to save them all not letting anyone perish. The rest he doesn't save because He loves them not.

Which God is Almighty and truly loving?

The problem you have seem to stem from total omniscient you attribute to God. It is better to state that God has the ability to foreknow everything, but God doesn't use this ability ALWAYS.

When God created Adam and Eve, didn't foreknow what they would choose. He left such for them. There is no how we can state that God predestined every human without holding Him accountable for the woes of humanity over the past and pressnt centuries. No way!

It means all of us are just acting out a role, and the evil are punished for doing what they are cloned to perform.

3 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 1:45pm On May 11, 2017
JMAN05:

The problem you have seem to stem from total omniscient you attribute to God. It is better to state that God has the ability to foreknow everything, but God doesn't use this ability ALWAYS.

When God created Adam and Eve, didn't foreknow what they would choose. He left such for them. There is no how we can state that God predestined every human without holding Him accountable for the woes of humanity over the past and pressnt centuries. No way!

It means all of us are just acting out a role, and the evil are punished for doing what they are cloned to perform.

The Bible talks of the predestination of the elect and not the non-elect. And Salvation as a gift. These are facts any sincere and objective person would readily accept.

You are bringing in sentiments and emotions into the Bible that's why you can't understand or accept the truth!

For you to be a Freewiller you would have to ignore so many scriptures. And what you have at the end are inconsistencies and a doctrinal system built on contradictions

Study to show thyself approved! grin
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 2:13pm On May 11, 2017
Splinz:

Oh really?

Wow... Is there any FORE-HATED?
Have you now seen the Bible meaning of "know"? That's how you should study. The Bible must interpret itself.
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by menxer: 2:35pm On May 11, 2017
oaroloye:

Foolish people say that things are "IMPOSSIBLE."
As if no one can know more than them.

Wise people say that THEY are the ones IGNORANT of how to do things.

There is a METER that can MEASURE FAITH and SPIRITUAL POWER.

It is called the E-Meter.

It is used in the SCIENTOLOGY Religion.

Thanks for the update, now I know.
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 3:48pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:
Have you now seen the Bible meaning of "know"? That's how you should study. The Bible must interpret itself.

Are you kidding me? You mean the bible interpreted “foreknowledge” to mean love: “FORE-LOVED=FORE=KNOWN”? Please where is this interpretation in the bible? By the way, don't you think the “FORE=KNOWN” that forms part of your definition still mean to “know before”, which you said is wrong?
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by 5solas(m): 3:55pm On May 11, 2017
JMAN05:

John 6:45 explains:

45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by Jehovah.’ Everyone who has listened to the Father and has learned comes to me"

So if any of the Jews back then were sincere lovers of God, they would easily accept what Jesus said and follow him. This doesn't mean that if you are blocked hearted like the pharisees and chooses not to believe in God no matter the evidence, that God will draw you. Draw you for what? To come and become a Christian halfheartedly?
Thanks for your comments. It would have thrilled me to see you answer John 6:44,45 . Rather than do that you jumped to John 6:45!
It is clear from the context God draws whom He wills just as He quickens whom He wills not as a result of our MERIT.

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
John 5:21
So ''drawing'' is a gift of His grace, not a reward for our efforts grin

Modified.
Thanks for your comments. It would have thrilled me to see you answer John 6:44,65 . Rather than do that you jumped to John 6:45!

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 6:47pm On May 11, 2017
Splinz:

Are you kidding me? You mean the bible interpreted “foreknowledge” to mean love: “FORE-LOVED=FORE=KNOWN”? Please where is this interpretation in the bible? By the way, don't you think the “FORE=KNOWN” that forms part of your definition still mean to “know before”, which you said is wrong?
I've shown you how "know" is used in the Bible. I would be surprised if you admit you have learned something.
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Splinz(m): 6:58pm On May 11, 2017
An2elect2:
I've shown you how "know" is used in the Bible. I would be surprised if you admit you have learned something.

Thank you. However, I reject such blatant fabrication.
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 7:01pm On May 11, 2017
5solas:

Thanks for your comments. It would have thrilled me to see you answer John 6:44,45 . Rather than do that you jumped to John 6:45!
It is clear from the context God draws whom He wills just as He quickens whom He wills not as a result of our MERIT.

John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.

A false Christian is not aware of how blind and deceitful his heart is. His false assurance produces a great confidence in his own opinions.Jonathan Edward

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by 5solas(m): 7:31pm On May 11, 2017
JMAN05:

The most important question is, does the scripture teach predestination? Even the predestination of the non-elects? Consider the verses below:

Jude. 4

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

. 1 Peter 2:8

And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by 5solas(m): 5:34am On May 12, 2017
An2elect2:
John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.

A false Christian is not aware of how blind and deceitful his heart is. His false assurance produces a great confidence in his own opinions.Jonathan Edward

Pelagians, Semi-Pelagians (Arminians ) and Open Theists will never interprete this verse correctly,65 as well..
John 6:65

And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by zeongeon: 12:36pm On May 12, 2017
if you have testimonies on the supernatural or your interested in the supernatural then you may want to join this whatsapp community were we seek to discuss things rarely discussed from divine healing, angelic experiences, Astra projection, restoration etc.. Share your stories, talk about strange but true events and also learn too.

use the link below to join

https://chat dot whatsapp dot com/4tmUk0OkFhU9zTGb1Zpq3v
Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by An2elect2(f): 12:53pm On May 12, 2017
5solas:

Pelagians, Semi-Pelagians (Arminians ) and Open Theists will never interprete this verse correctly,65 as well..
John 6:65

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 12, 2017
5solas:

The most important question is, does the scripture teach predestination? Even the predestination of the non-elects? Consider the verses below:

Jude. 4

. 1 Peter 2:8

Again, we cannot state that this scripture is about any specific individual engaging in the vices mentioned, as if they had individually been created to perform that role. Nope, for that would be unreasonable. In fact they should rather be commended for fulfilling there God-ordained role to accomplish His will.

However, the context can help us here:

Firstly, verses 14 and 15 of that Jude continuous:

"Yes, the seventh one in line from Adam, Eʹnoch, also prophesied about them when he said: “Look! Jehovah came with his holy myriads 15 to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him."

We sees that Jude was referring to a prophesy made about such ungodly humans arising in the future. This prophesy hadnt predestined any particular individual to fulfill it. God foresaw that some humans will end up doing this, not that he predestined any specific person for that behavior.

These people did it on there own as the text shows. They also spoke against God. How can God clone people to speak against Him, and punish them for doing what He cloned them for?

Verses 17-18: "As for you, beloved ones, call to mind the sayings that have been previously spoken by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ, 18 how they used to say to you: “In the last time there will be ridiculers, following their own desires for ungodly things"

These sinners followed their own desires, not God's.

2 Likes

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 12, 2017
5solas:

Modified.
Thanks for your comments. It would have thrilled me to see you answer John 6:44,65 . Rather than do that you jumped to John 6:45!

When i said john 6:45 explains, i meant explain those verses about drawing to Jesus, i would have loved it if you agree with what that verse 45 says cos that shows that the drawing isnt predetermination, rather, from a prior love for God that eventually led to Christ.

You have to make an effort to be saved. We read:

2pet 1:10-11

"Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent(eager NIV) to make your calling and choosing sure for yourselves, for if you keep on doing these things, you will by no means ever fail. 11 In fact, in this way you will be richly granted entrance into the everlasting Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

Note the italized words - This shows that diligence is needed to make your calling SURE. Deduct this effort, your calling wont work. This diligence is needed so that you will never fail.

The Boldfaced words - it states that "in this way" you will richly be granted entrance into the kingdom. showing that such effort is needed for salvation. Of course, that you put up effort does not mean that salvation is earned, cos no matter how much you try, you are still a sinner. And wages of sin is eternal death, but through grace, our sins could be overlooked and our efforts are rewarded.

That could be called reward as Rev 11:18 shows.

1 Like

Re: Historical Facts! Freewillism Existed For Centuries As A Heresy. by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 12, 2017
An2elect2:

The Bible talks of the predestination of the elect and not the non-elect. And Salvation as a gift. These are facts any sincere and objective person would readily accept.

You are bringing in sentiments and emotions into the Bible that's why you can't understand or accept the truth!

For you to be a Freewiller you would have to ignore so many scriptures. And what you have at the end are inconsistencies and a doctrinal system built on contradictions

Study to show thyself approved! grin

I think your position is the one that would conflict with the whole bible message cos it is based on few verses of the bible, and contradicts many parts. Context always helps us to establish the meaning of a bible portion. God's justice and Love are also essential part to be considered. Do not make Him unjust and unloving by detaching a verse and interpreting in isolation. If your interpretation does not agree with other parts of the bible, it is wrong.

Paul who was called, made this comment:

1Cor 9:24-27

"Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it. 25 Now everyone competing in a contest exercises self-control in all things. Of course, they do it to receive a crown that can perish, but we, one that does not perish. 26 Therefore, the way I am running is not aimlessly; the way I am aiming my blows is so as not to be striking the air; 27 but I pummel my body and lead it as a slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself should not become disapproved somehow."

Paul here shows that if he did not make earnest effort in conduct, he could lose the prize just like a runner in a race would.

We all have a choice, either to live or to eternal destruction.

Rev 2;10

Do not be afraid of the things you are about to suffer. Look! The Devil will keep on throwing some of you into prison so that you may be fully put to the test, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Prove yourself faithful even to death, and I will give you the crown of life.

verse 23:

And I will kill her children with deadly plague, so that all the congregations will know that I am the one who searches the innermost thoughts and hearts, and I will give to you individually according to your deeds

What could be the purpose of such a search when He had already coded their fate?

The reward is according to their deeds, not according to their destiny.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Churches Preaching Prosperity May Soon Attract Tax In Ghana / RCCG 64th Annual Convention : Amen; Aug 1-7 / Pastor Chris: Christ In You The Hope Of Glory!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.