Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,117 members, 7,835,764 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (70369 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 3:57am On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

Another Ika man already came on this thread and said that they still use Onye Ebo to refer to white people in his village, and not oyibo.
So, tell me what stopped the Southern Igbos from doing the same?

Ndi Ocha was the Original Igbo word for Europeans. It is not hard to see that later on, Bekee and Oyinbo came via external influences based on which people the different mba Igbo were relating with at the time. Oyibo from the Western front through Edo/Delta axis. and Bekee from the Southern coastal front.

I don't care what the Ika call white man, he can call it whatever he wants, the Ika man(Ikpanminose or whatever he calls himself) you speak of is edophiliic, his opinion on Igbo matters count for nothing, as he is not Igbo, you should only quote him on Edo matters, I'm sure he is an expert on that.

Oyibo is what we use in my part of Igboland to refer to white man. We say Obodo Oyibo ( White man land ), Aku oyibo ( Coconut, literary meaning White man kernel), Ego Oyibo ( White man money for shillings, pounds), etc.
No one says Aku onye Onyeocha, Obodo onye ocha, etc.

You as a Yoruba man are in no position to lecture me on my language, and it's even ridiculous for you to be quoting an Edophilic Ika man who obviously is not Igbol and knows next to nothing about Igbo language. grin You can as well bring the Oba of bini to weigh in on Igbo matter.

6 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:00am On May 15, 2017
Of course, it has been said that Oyibo originated from Oye eboe, as narrated by Olauda.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by AbakalikiPress: 4:02am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

I don't care what the Ika call white man, he can call it whatever he wants, the Ika man(Ikpanminose or whatever he calls himself) you speak of is edophiliic, his opinion on Igbo matters count for nothing, as he is not Igbo, you should only quote him on Edo matters, I'm sure he is an expert on that.

Oyibo is what we use in my part of Igboland to refer to white man. We say Obodo Oyibo ( White man land ), Aku oyibo ( Coconut, literary meaning White man kernel), Ego Oyibo ( White man money for shillings, pounds), etc.
No one says Aku onye Onyeocha, Obodo onye ocha, etc.

You as a Yoruba man are in no position to lecture me on my language, and it's even ridiculous for you to be quoting an Edophilic Ika man who obviously is not Igboland and knows next to nothing about Igbo language. grin

Those of us who understand the diversity with Igbo dialects would strongly disagree with you.

Ada Bekee was a very popular Igbo Nollywood movie about a local girl who was trying so hard to be foreign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cg2WKdmuIY

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by StarFlux: 4:04am On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

You dey mind am? That guy na core Igbo supremacist, so mind how you deal with him.
By the way, there is als a written historical account that dates to the 1830s of Yoruba people referring to whites as Oibo or Oyibo..... I think I saw someone post it somewhere before.
So it's not even as if there are no written records of them using it from way back.
I dey laff.

You know, we are actually here to learn new things and become wiser. This other guy is the opposite of that: He's not here to learn; he's here to convince and spit on those who have opposing opinions. It's more amusing than anything else, really. It's interesting to see how far someone is willing to go on about something of which they have no proof or worthwhile arguements.

Would be interesting to see such a record, indeed!

pazienza:
Of course, it has been said that Oyibo originated from Oye eboe, as narrated by Olauda.
So, why exactly was the word corrupted (mind you, corrupted is not a negative term in this case)?
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:10am On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

Those of us who understand the diversity with Igbo dialects would strongly disagree with you.

Ada Bekee was a very popular Igbo Nollywood movie about a local girl who was trying so hard to be foreign.

[img]http://www.igbomovies.tv/products/zk8161%20-%20Ada%20Bekee%20-%20part%203.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cg2WKdmuIY

What exactly do you intend to achieve or prove with the above?

Imo, Abia people call the white man Bekee, Anambra, Enugu and Enuani call the white man Oyibo, abroad is Ala bekee to an Imo man, and Obodo Oyibo to the Anambra man. We have different scenarios like this amongst Igbo people, where by things are are called two different names, defending on one's part of Igboland.

You understand next to nothing about Igbo diversity, I'd suggest you stick to your Yoruba group and stop meddling into things you know next to nothing about.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by AbakalikiPress: 4:13am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

What exactly do you intend to achieve or prove with the above?

Imo, Abia people call the white man Bekee, Anambra, Enugu and Enuani call the white man Oyibo, abroad is Ala bekee to an Imo man, and Obodo Oyibo to the Anambra man. We have different scenarios like this amongst Igbo people, where by things are are called two different names, defending on one's part of Igboland.

You understand next to nothing about Igbo diversity, I'd suggest you stick to your Yoruba group and stop meddling into things you know next to nothing about.

Your lies stink to the high heavens lol.
Onye Igbo and Oyibo in pronunciation sound COMPLETELY DIFFERENT even to a toddler, and even with the removal of a n and a Gb! lol
And in West Africa here, we know that tones can make a whole world of Difference in meaning.

Oyibo in the proper intonation anywhere in Nigeria means Nada in Igbo, and you know it.

Kpele.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by AbakalikiPress: 4:19am On May 15, 2017
StarFlux:
I dey laff.

You know, we are actually here to learn new things and become wiser. This other guy is the opposite of that: He's not here to learn; he's here to convince and spit on those who have opposing opinions. It's more amusing than anything else, really. It's interesting to see how far someone is willing to go on about something of which they have no proof or worthwhile arguements.

Would be interesting to see such a record, indeed!

So, why exactly was the word corrupted (mind you, corrupted is not a negative term in this case)?

Very soon Some Igbos will come here and start arguing with everyone that Osikakpa , The Igbo word for rice which even kids know in Igboland is an Igbo word.
Even though those who are more aware know it was borrowed from Hausa word Shinkafa.
The problem here is that some people think that it is a shame to borrow words into the lexicon of one's own native language. The truth is that not all languages have the same level of development.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:19am On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

Your lies stink to the high heavens lol.
Onye Igbo and Oyibo in pronunciation sound COMPLETELY DIFFERENT even to a toddler, and even with the removal of a n and a Gb! lol
And in West Africa here, we know that tones can make a whole world of Difference in meaning.

Oyibo in the proper intonation anywhere in Nigeria means Nada in Igbo, and you know it.

Kpele.

Furthermore, at Aboh "R. A. K. Oldfield, a European, while on the Niger River near Aboh in 1832 had recorded locals calling out to him and his entourage "Oh, Eboe! Oh, Eboe!" meaning "White man, White man!" linked to modern 'oyibo'."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo
Deal with it. You can go and do the needful, if it can help you.
grin
Ndo

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by AbakalikiPress: 4:24am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

Furthermore, at Aboh "R. A. K. Oldfield, a European, while on the Niger River near Aboh in 1832 had recorded locals calling out to him and his entourage "Oh, Eboe! Oh, Eboe!" meaning "White man, White man!" linked to modern 'oyibo'."
Deal with it. You can go and do the needful, if it can help you.
grin
Ndo

I've already made my point.
You and the rest of the Igbo revisionist bandwagon can continue.

I even saw one person like yourself saying Abeokuta was originally an Igbo town called Ebe Okwute, before Yorubas corrupted it into Abeokuta.
lol. The kind of things some people spew online. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:32am On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

I've already made my point.
You and the rest of the Igbo revisionist bandwagon can continue.

I even saw one person like yourself saying Abeokuta was originally an Igbo town called Ebe Okwute, before Yorubas corrupted it into Abeokuta.
lol. The kind of things some people spew online. cheesy

Lol! Your point is pointless, with no scholarly or academic work to back it up Just your normal Yoruba propaganda bereft of any facts.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I had provided enough links on this thread for any neutral in search of knowledge to follow through.

You can continue wallowing in your delusions.

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:37am On May 15, 2017
Johnpaul09:
Oyinbo is a Yoruba word for white/white people, bekee is Igbo word for white/white people.
Oyinbo/oyibo is never an Igbo word, it's borrowed from Yoruba.
I am from Anambra State, lived in Oyo State and I speak both languages well.

You know nothing, and I doubt you are from Anambra. No body from Anambra ( North or Central) call white man Bekee, Bekee is used by Igbos from Imo and Abia and was adopted by those who compiled written Igbo language, in favor of Oyibo used in Anambra and Enugu areas.
Stay off issues you know nothing about.

6 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:43am On May 15, 2017
cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 4:47am On May 15, 2017

You dey mind am? That guy na core Igbo supremacist, so mind how you deal with him.
By the way, there is als a written historical account that dates to the 1830s of Yoruba people referring to whites as Oibo or Oyibo..... I think I saw someone post it somewhere before.
So it's not even as if there are no written records of them using it from way back.

Post it let's see. The Igbo account still predates it . We have been here before.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 7:15am On May 15, 2017
aljharem:

Agidi and Oka are Igbo words

Egusi can never be igbo. Melon does not naturally grow in the east

Bean for moin moin does not grow in the East

What nonsense ?
Oka isn't Ibo's. But Yoruba name for maize flour product suitable for consumption.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 9:25am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:
cool

The document you shared proof that Crowder, a Yoruba man is called Oyibo oji, or black europeans.

What could Crowder have called the europeans that rescued him from slave ship early on? What about other Yoruba settlers at fourra bay?

Did he learn the local name oyibo from this encounter with the igbo? This book was not published in that century.

Also, Crowder wrote the vocabulary of the Yoruba and like someone said earlier, oyinbo is translated as europeans.

Did Olauda detailed 'onye eboe' as 'europeans' or we need to reason it out from his words?
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 9:34am On May 15, 2017
Olu317:
Oka isn't Ibo's. But Yoruba name for maize flour product suitable for consumption.

Oka is Igbo word for Maize, Some parts of Igbo land call it Ukwuoru, but Oka is the word used in central Igbo and Anambra/Enugu towns Stop talking trash, you are not an Igbo and so in no position to say what is Igbo word and what isn't.
From my little stay in Yorubaland, I know that the central and everyday used word for maize /corn in Yorubaland is Agbado. Agbado ati Agbon( Maize and coconut)i s a regular rainy season snack in Yorubaland.

You Yorubas are damn annoying.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 9:44am On May 15, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

The document you shared proof that Crowder, a Yoruba man is called Oyibo oji, or black europeans.

What could Crowder may have called the europeans that rescued him from slave ship? What about Yoruba settlers at fourra bay?

Did he learn the local name oyibo from this encounter with the igbo?

Igbos in Anambra - Enugu-Enuani, use Oyibo to describe the white man and anything related to the white man.

Ajayi crowther and other black slave returnees who worked for the white man were called Oyibo oji, to connote the fact that they were non Europeans( Africans) that are now living the white man lifestyle, by speaking white man language, practicing his religion, wearing his dress types, etc.

For example, paw paw fruit is unknown in Igboland before the whites came, the Igbos knew the paw paw through the white man, therefore, in my part of Igboland, paw paw is traditionally called "Okwuru Oyibo" meaning white man Okro.

I don't care about what Yorubas call white man, but I know that Oyibo as used In Igboland, wasn't borrowed from any non Igbo speaking group, it grew de novo.

Why can't Yorubas accept this and move on? You have your Oyinbo, we have our Oyibo, it's as simple as that.

6 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 9:46am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

Oka is Igbo word for Maize, Some parts of Igbo land call it Ukwuoru, but Oka is the word used in central Igbo and Anambra/Enugu towns Stop talking trash, you are not an Igbo and so in no position to say what is Igbo word and what isn't.

There is a pynegeric ssying in core Yoruba, about ogbomosho,

ogbimosho ogbomojugun,
nibi won gbe nj' oka,
konto muko yangan.

oka is core Yoruba for corn meal or cereal foods.
soghurm is called oka baba. the leaf is called poroporo baba.

So what will you do if both language has the word igbo? Take it easy with yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 9:54am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

Igbos in Anambra - Enugu-Enuani, use Oyibo to describe the white man and anything related to the white man.

Ajayi crowther and other black slave returnees who workeed for the white man where called Oyibo oji, to connote the fact that they are non Europeans( Africans) that are now living the white man lifestyle, by speaking white man language, practicing his religion, wearing his dress types, etc.

For example, paw paw fruit is unknown in Igboland before the whites came, the Igbos the paw paw through the white man, therefore, in my part of Igboland, paw paw is traditionally called "Okwuru Oyibo" meaning white man Okro.

I don't care about what Yorubas call white man, but I know that Oyibo as used In Igboland, wasn't borrowed from any non Igbo speaking group, it grew de novo.

Why can't Yorubas accept this and move on? You have your Oyinbo, we have our Oyibo, it's as simple as that.

Igbo and Yoruba are mutually unintelligible, but if one word come to mean the same thing in recent time, such a word expose itself to scrutiny.

I wont argue on ewu or oka because this are what our ancestors shared before this age.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 9:58am On May 15, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

There is a pynegeric ssying in core Yoruba, about ogbomosho,

ogbimosho ogbomojugun,
nibi won gbe nj' oka,
konto muko yangan.

oka is core Yoruba for corn meal or cereal foods.
soghurm is called oka baba. the leaf is called poroporo baba.

So what will you do if both language has the word igbo? Take it easy with yourself.

I never claimed that Oka is not a Yoruba word, I'm only angry that a Yoruba claimed that Oka is not an Igbo word.

Moreover, the pronunciation of Oka in Yoruba and Igbo are not pronounced alike.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 10:04am On May 15, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Igbo and Yoruba are mutually unintelligible, but if one word come to mean the same thing in recent time, such a word expose itself to scrutiny.

I wont argue on ewu or oka because this are what our ancestors shared before this age.

Then don't cry when we tell you that Oyibo is Igbo and not Yoruba, after scrutiny.
It is always Yorubas that have problem accepting the fact that both words developed independent of each other, and always try to force their Yoruba made up stories of how we borrowed the word from them.

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by kpaminose: 11:35am On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

Meanwhile, we still await any historical narrative by the whites, where they were referred as Oyinbo by native Yoruba speaking people.
Shamless lots.
Eboh is the Edo word for White people. we use it all over Anioma but it's most popular in Ika area.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 12:01pm On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

From my little stay in Yorubaland, I know that the central and everyday used word for maize /corn in Yorubaland is Agbado. Agbado ati Agbon( Maize and coconut)i s a regular rainy season snack in Yorubaland.

Oh I see, you lived within urban Yoruba who had interchangeably use Agbado which literally mean maize. You seem to have failed again because you don't know much about Yoruba culture and food . In Yoruba land, We call rain ÒJÒ and Èji , the second one can hardly be known to YOU,except my exposing it to you at this moment. Yoruba in the rural speaks archaic Yoruba which you can hardly hear and calls OKA , Maize flour. In some places, it can also be used for White yam flour,which you know it with a different name. You will get lost if you think you can understand Yoruba because you fraternise with Yoruba city. You claimed, it is used among Ibos, It is a borrowed words from Yoruba land, just as Aso Ebi, “Igbo," were borrowed. Oka has been used in Yoruba land for centuries.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 12:48pm On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

Then don't cry when we tell you that Oyibo is Igbo and not Yoruba, after scrutiny.
It is always Yorubas that have problem accepting the fact that both words developed independent of each other, and always try to force their Yoruba made up stories of how we borrowed the word from them.

This is not an antiquity word, bro. You said Olaudah say sometging about it too. These are quite recent events.

If the word has no meaning in your language but does in your neighbours', then you borrowed that word, deal with it.
y
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 1:08pm On May 15, 2017
Olu317:
Oh I see, you lived within urban Yoruba who had interchangeably use Agbado which literally mean maize. You seem to have failed again because you don't know much about Yoruba culture and food . In Yoruba land, We call rain ÒJÒ and Èji , the second one can hardly be known to YOU,except my exposing it to you at this moment. Yoruba in the rural speaks archaic Yoruba which you can hardly hear and calls OKA , Maize flour. In some places, it can also be used for White yam flour,which you know it with a different name. You will get lost if you think you can understand Yoruba because you fraternise with Yoruba city. You claimed, it is used among Ibos, It is a borrowed words from Yoruba land, just as Aso Ebi, “Igbo," were borrowed. Oka has been used in Yoruba land for centuries.

Oka's shared, not borrowed. Igbo oka and Yoruba oka derive from the same root word. Don't be talking nonsense.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Dhugal: 1:23pm On May 15, 2017
Olu317:
Eji means mist,especially the type that comes down in the morning.It's also used for dew.
Who do you think you want to fool here,children?.
I'll beat you over the head with ijinle Yoruba,if you're not careful.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 1:27pm On May 15, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

You should read ur brother's comment here:

When swamp Igbos don't use Oyibo , na Enugu Igbo on a hill close to Benue wey neva see white man until like when.... go come dey claim ownership of a Yoruba word.

Stop lying bro. Oyinbo is a Yoruba word. Anambra/Enugu Igbos denasalised it by removing the nasal n before the B, because their dialects lacked nasalizations. And from there, it entered pidgin as Oyibo, because majority of yorubas do not go near pidgin. But now, the Yoruba form is gradually coming back to take pre-eminence if you notice the internet very well.
undecided

A corrupted word entered pidgin through Nsukka and Umueri over the original? Majority of Yorubas don't go near pidgin? Gini?
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 1:55pm On May 15, 2017
kpaminose:

Eboh is the Edo word for White people. we use it all over Anioma but it's most popular in Ika area.

Speak for your Edophilic Ika.not for anyother part of western Igbo.

Aboh was also called Eboe town by the colonialist, I guess that's also in reverence to your Edo Eboh, and not because the people were Eboes and did speak Eboe language as mother tongue.
White man in Aboh is Oyibo and not your Eboh or whatever you call it.
https://m.facebook.com/Ukwuani.Ndokwa/posts/969515196456632

Many are indeed mad, just few are roaming.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 1:59pm On May 15, 2017
Probz:

Oka's shared, not borrowed. Igbo oka and Yoruba oka derive from the same root word. Don't be talking nonsense.

The Igbo pronunciation of Oka, differ's from that of Yoruba.

They are not even shared.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 2:07pm On May 15, 2017
Olu317:

You lots are shameless. Oka doesn't mean corn or Maize in urban or rural Yorubaland, maize is Agbado.

Oka, pronounced entirely differently from the the Igbo Oka, is what Yorubas call "Swallow " foods like pounded yam, ground maize processed and prepared as swallow for soup, even wheat, dawa, etc, once prepared as swallow is referee to as Oka( pronounced quite different from the Igbo Oka for maize).

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 2:27pm On May 15, 2017
pazienza:

The Igbo pronunciation of Oka, differ's from that of Yoruba.

They are not even shared.
They are of you go deep in the Yoruba interior. I agree with everything else you're saying but oka's legit a shared word between Igbos and Yorubas.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 2:37pm On May 15, 2017
Probz:
They are of you go deep in the Yoruba interior. I agree with everything else you're saying but oka's legit a shared word between Igbos and Yorubas.

The pronunciation is not same. Don't be deceived by their spelling.

Oka in Yoruba is all about swallow. If you process Agbado ( maize ) and convert it to a swallow meal by grinding it, it becomes Oka( still pronounced differently from that of Ndiigbo), when yam is peeled and pounded, and converted to swallow, it is also called Oka by Yorubas, same goes for Sorghum and other cereals that can be processed and converted to swallow forms.

Oka in Yoruba is different from Oka in Igbo, they don't connote same meaning and they are not pronounced alike. They are not shared words, neither are they borrowed words.

Oka for all intents and purposes, means flour in Yoruba.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.