Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,093 members, 7,835,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (70364 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by StarFlux: 11:47pm On May 15, 2017
There are two okas in Yoruba.

1. ọkà from yam.
1. ọkàa which is corn (for example oka baba). Oka baba is not flour, it's corn.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 1:33am On May 16, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I want to believe that Crowder was the Yorubaman who taught igbo how to write their language.

Its so amazing that the most resourceful word in igbo lexicon he could take away was oyibo. So no greater word in that language than this?

But the same word came to igboland through Crowder and his white missionaries. Your record revealed the Yorubaman who brought oyibo to igboland.

A Yorubaman brought the name oyibo oji to the igbo. He helped formulate igbo alphsbet there and then.

You are roaming.
Crowther wasn't the one who formulate Igbo alphabets, and he didn't bring the word Oyibo to Igboland.

Why are Yorubas like this? Stop this madness already.

"In 1857, an ex-slave of Igbo extraction, Simon Jonas, wrote the first manuscript written in Igbo language, 'Isoama-Ibo Primer'. This was done in Sierra Leone for emancipated slave from Igboland in Freetown, Sierra Leone. The Igbo dialect spoken in Sierra Leone is called Isoama/Isuama-Igbo. Ex-Lagos slave, Samuel Crowther, published it as a book. Both Jonas and Crowther stayed together in Lagos before being shipped to Sierra Leone".

http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 5:08am On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You just said maize flour or yam flour, not the actual corn itself, is called Oka in archaic yoruba communities, so what then is your argument about? Growing up, everywhere in Igbo land calls corn (the one that you grow and eat, which can be roasted or boiled) Oka (with rising and falling tones). We do not refer to the flour as Oka but the actual food item itself as Oka.

According to you, Maize flour = Oka (Yoruba)
According to general Yoruba, Corn = Agbado

According to Pazienza, Corn (food) = Oka (Igbo).

The difference and usage are clear enough already.
There are many things you people don't know and I will let you have knowledge on it. General Yoruba was coined to suit the whole speaker of Yoruba language. This is the reason, it will be hard for non Yoruba speakers to understand rural Yoruba language because, part of ancient way of speaking still abide with them. Irrespective of what you claimed to be the usage of the word “Oka" in Eastern part, I can authoritatively inform you that “AGBADO" is a MODERN YORUBA WORD because of language development. Take for instance, Yoruba use ko fò(a mark must be under the “o"wink and ki ni o un so. The former “fò" with a mark under the “o" to change the pronunciation is an ancient word in Yoruba land. I mentioned this because, Yoruba language has been going through transformation in the urban area but in the RURAL,the language still maintain partly past ancient words usage.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 5:20am On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:
For those asking about the Igbo exposure to Europeans, Europeans started trading in Igbo slaves (around the late 1400s) much earlier than with the Yorubas (from the 1600s or 1700s) who were exported in significant numbers towards the ending of the slave trade, which explains why more Igbo slaves overall (circa 1.27 million, spanning across almost 4 centuries) were exported more than Yoruba slaves (circa 500,000). The Igbo possibly had contact with the Europeans (through Bonny and Calabar ports) much earlier than the Yorubas, thus the mimicking of the mispronunciation of 'onye ibo' by the white man by the Igbos to 'oyibo' is highly probable.

[img]https://tracingafricanroots.files./2015/06/chambers-2002-table1-estimated-percentage-of-igbo-captives1.jpg[/img]

Whereas slavery in Yorubaland did not start until around 1640 (nearly 200 years after Europeans were exposed to Igbos).
Before slavery begun, Yoruba have been travelling to places because of wealth created by them when they got to West Africa.
Evidence of bead manufacture among the Yoruba dates as far as the 11th Century AD. Scientific evidence exists indicating that blue-green glass beads made in Ile-Ife were being traded outside the Yoruba area long before the era of European contact. My ancestors have had contact with Whites through their business dealing,long before slave trade. In fact, Yoruba beads was an outstanding because it not in existence in SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA apart from the Yoruba producing it . Forget, this your egocentrism about Ibos because DNA support the Yoruba as the largest ethnic group in AMERICAS as far as the African continent is concerned. So, forget what you think s TRUE. Like I have always emphasise, the word IGBO wasn't your identity in 14th—19th century. The Easter people were known as EBOES.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 4:39pm On May 16, 2017
ok which part of ibo do use oyibo and who say bekee in igboland

well am from ogwashi ukwu but lived most of life in d potakot so i dont quite get
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OMANBALA1: 5:46pm On May 16, 2017
ewa26:
ok which part of ibo do use oyibo and who say bekee in igboland

well am from ogwashi ukwu but lived most of life in d potakot so i dont quite get

Abia and Imo use Bekee,while Omanbala,Enugwu and Enuani use Oyibo. We in Omanbala also answer Oyibo as last/surname name.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 5:53pm On May 16, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Abia and Imo use Bekee,while Omanbala,Enugwu and Enuani use Oyibo. We in Omanbala also answer Oyibo as last/surname name.
ok y do 2 sets of ibo pipul use 2 different words and where does bekee originating pls
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 6:46pm On May 16, 2017
pazienza:

You are roaming.
Crowther wasn't the one who formulate Igbo alphabets, and he didn't bring the word Oyibo to Igboland.

Why are Yorubas like this? Stop this madness already.

"In 1857, an ex-slave of Igbo extraction, Simon Jonas, wrote the first manuscript written in Igbo language, 'Isoama-Ibo Primer'. This was done in Sierra Leone for emancipated slave from Igboland in Freetown, Sierra Leone. The Igbo dialect spoken in Sierra Leone is called Isoama/Isuama-Igbo. Ex-Lagos slave, Samuel Crowther, published it as a book. Both Jonas and Crowther stayed together in Lagos before being shipped to Sierra Leone".

http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/ng/dike_origins1957.html

I've taken the time to resd your source to the point you've just raised, but nowhere was it mentioned that Simon Jonas produced the isioma-ibo, except if the claim is in some apocrypher version in your hand to discredit Crowthers.

Simon Jonas and Radollo were appointed as 'interpreters' for the mission and the Onitsha elite of the time and his intellectual effort wont be swept away if he had written such work.

I wont be surprise by your recourse to such igbomade histirical fabrications, the more you look the less you see.

I see, soon you'll say Simon Jonas wrote the book, Crowther took credit for it. You people ehn. Now baike is anong the Crowther party, and its from his name some tradition claimed bekee was derived.

Yet from the same folks who sees Jonas as 'spirit without toes' (because there was no name for shoes with them as at that time) that Crowther took the name 'oyibo' to his homeland.

Yet Jonas lived with Crowthher in Lagos, and had never seen oyibo or heard it used in Lagos or Fourra bay till the niger expedition.

I wander why bigfrancis often put his brain or 'sense of history' on 'off mode' sometimes when he needed it to be on. Is it a kind of idiocyncracies?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 6:58pm On May 16, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I've taken the time to resd your paper but nowhere was it mentioned that Simon Jonas produced the isioma-ibo, except in the apocrypher version in your hand to discredit Crowthers.

Simon Jonas and Radollo were appointed as 'interpreters' for the mission and the Onitsha elite of the time and his intellectual effort wont be swept away if he had written such work.

I wont be surprise by your recourse to such igbomade histirical fabrications, the more you look the less you see.

I see, Simon Jonas wrote the book, Crowther took credit for it. You people ehn. Now baike is anong the Crowther party, and its from his name some tradition claimed bekee was derived.

Yet from the same folks who sees Jonas as 'spirit without toes' (because there was no name for shoes with them as at that time) that Crowther took the name 'oyibo' to his homeland.

Yet Jonas lived with Crowthher in Lagos, and had never seen oyibo or heard it used in Lagos or Fourra bay till the niger expedition.

I wander why bigfrancis often put his brain or 'sense of history' on 'off mode' sometimes when he needed it to be on. Is it a kind of idiocyncracies?

Are you ok at all?

Crowther was not Igbo, know next to nothing about Igbo language and couldn't have been the one to write Ibo language.

Simon Jonas did the work as Igbo. Crowther never took credit for Jonas work, it's more like you Yorubas in your inferiority complex that are assigning the position of formation of written Igbo language to Crowther, for whatever silly ethnic ego massage you habour.

Where exactly did Jonas tell you that he never heard Oyibo being used in Igboland, are you retarded?

Bekee wasn't derived from baike, that theory had since been found to not hold true in the light of use of the word Bekee in Igboland before Baike visited.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 6:59pm On May 16, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I've taken the time to resd your paper but nowhere was it mentioned that Simon Jonas produced the isioma-ibo, except in the apocrypher version in your hand to discredit Crowthers.

I see, Simon Jonas wrote the book, Crowther took credit for it. You people ehn. Now baike is anong the Crowther party, and its from his name some tradition claimed bekee was derived.

So you are insinuating that Ajayi Crowther, a man who neither spoke nor understood Igbo language, WROTE the first Igbo primer and 'taught Igbos how to write their language'? And this is what you believe deep down inside of you? The way some africans reason sometimes baffles me. Very twisted, delusional and laughable at the same time.

You want to have us believe that Ajayi Crowther 'introduced' the word to the entire Igbo population but it is hard for you to believe that he may have introduced that same word to the Yoruba population after his stay in Igboland? I laugh in arabic.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by pazienza(m): 7:04pm On May 16, 2017
ewa26:
ok y do 2 sets of ibo pipul use 2 different words and where does bekee originating pls

Because Igbos are a conglomerate of tribes that speak a groups of dialects that form a continuum with mutual intelligibility decreasing the further two Igbo speaking group are from each other.

Take for example, the word Maize, it's called Oka in Enugu, Anambra, Enuani areas, Ukwuoru in parts o Abia and Imo, Ezza people in Ebonyi call it Akpe.

Yet we are all Igbos. Every large ethnic group have such diversity, it's this diversity in used words that serve as synonyms in the written language.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 7:04pm On May 16, 2017
pazienza:

Are you ok at all?

Crowther was not Igbo, know next to nothing about Igbo language and couldn't have been the one to write Ibo language.

Simon Jonas did the work as Igbo. Crowther never took credit for Jonas work, it's more like you Yorubas in your inferiority complex that are assigning the position of formation of written Igbo language to Crowther, for whatever silly ethnic ego massage you habour.

Where exactly did Jonas tell you that he never heard Oyibo being used in Igboland, are you retarded?

Bekee wasn't derived from baike, that theory had since been found to not hold true in the light of use of the word Bekee in Igboland before Baike visited.

You need to put across your source as you often do.

I have answered you and thats enough for you to sip hot.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 7:08pm On May 16, 2017
pazienza:

Because Igbos are a conglomerate of tribes that speak a groups of dialects that form a continuum with mutual intelligibility decreasing the further two Igbo speaking group are from each other.

Take for example, the word Maize, it's called Oka in Enugu, Anambra, Enuani areas, Ukwuoru in parts o Abia and Imo, Ezza people in Ebonyi call it Akpe.

Yet we are all Igbos. Every large ethnic group have such diversity, it's this diversity in used words that serve as synonyms in the written language.

oo ok tnx

bet wait, what do people in Ebonyi and in d rivers Igbo use for white man why are we avoiding them two is it all about anambla enoogo delta egbo imo and Abia
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:10pm On May 16, 2017
Olu317:
Before slavery begun, Yoruba have been travelling to places because of wealth created by them when they got to West Africa.
Evidence of bead manufacture among the Yoruba dates as far as the 11th Century AD
. Scientific evidence exists indicating that blue-green glass beads made in Ile-Ife were being traded outside the Yoruba area long before the era of European contact. My ancestors have had contact with Whites through their business dealing,long before slave trade. In fact, Yoruba beads was an outstanding because it not in existence in SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA apart from the Yoruba producing it . Forget, this your egocentrism about Ibos because DNA support the Yoruba as the largest ethnic group in AMERICAS as far as the African continent is concerned. So, forget what you think s TRUE. Like I have always emphasise, the word IGBO wasn't your identity in 14th—19th century. The Easter people were known as EBOES.

@bold...where is your evidence for this? And what is the use of this entire irrelevant post of yours anyway to the discourse at hand? Which DNA supports Yoruba as the largest ethnic group in America? Or this is one of those fake theories in your head? So-called half-baked african historians.

Truth be told as it is, Ifa is an afro religion in the new world with many adherents who are not necessarily of Yoruba ancestry, just like Christianity or Islam. Roman Catholicism originated from Rome and there are over 5 million or more Roman Catholics in Nigeria but that does not mean we are descended from Rome or are Romans by blood. Just because you see many black people adhering to Ifa in Brazil, Cuba etc. it does not mean they are Yorubas. It would be your greatest folly to assume so. A great number of these followers are descended from slaves from Congo, Angola, etc. who sent to those countries in huge numbers, even from the Bight of Biafra too. Many of these Ifa followers follow Ifa not because they think they are Yoruba but because they seek some sort of cultural connection back to mama africa, and the Yourba being the last of tribes to arrive the new world, their cultural elements survived the most. Infact as recently as the early 1900s, there were some native nago-speaking slaves in the new world. Those born in the early 1900s would be our grandparents today for some of us or our great-grandparents. It really should be looked into why the language did not survive as a living language when at the time they arrived, slavery had been long abolished and more slave freedom of association and religion was allowed. Their entry into the new world was recent, and their connection to home was the strongest, thus many were able to remember and return successfully to Yoruba land (Ajayi Crowther, for example). DNA may undergo recombination but it is never lost. For posterity's sake leave your unnecessary tribal sentiments aside and see things for how they truly are.

Truly, in terms of ancestral DNA, Yoruba would come in after Congo, Angola, Igbo, Ewe-Fon, Akan etc. but Yoruba is often given more attention due to the influence of its religion in the new world.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:15pm On May 16, 2017
ewa26:

oo ok tnx

bet wait, what do people in Ebonyi and in d rivers Igbo use for white man why are we avoiding them two is it all about anambla enoogo delta egbo imo and Abia

For the sake of not derailing this thread into Igbo vs. Non Igbo, that is not relevant. Politically, many rivers Igboid groups identify as their own individual group. I feel we should not force an Igbo identity on them.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:17pm On May 16, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You need to put across your source as you often do.

I have answered you and thats enough for you to sip hot.

You need to do the same too that indicates where Ajayi Crowther WROTE, not published, but WROTE the Igbo primer.

Maybe in your 'off brain' mode, 'writing' and 'publishing' are the same thing to you.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 7:19pm On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

For the sake of not derailing this thread into Igbo vs. Non Igbo, that is not relevant. Politically, many rivers Igboid groups identify as their own individual group. I feel we should not force an Igbo identity on them.

ok what do Ebonyi use for white man den
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:24pm On May 16, 2017
ewa26:

ok what do Ebonyi use for white man den

Honestly, I don't know. Someone from Ebonyi should be able to tell us that.

The fact remains that the earliest academically documented evidence of the usage of oyibo in Nigeria was by the account of Olaudah Equiano, an ex Igbo slave who was born circa 1745 and the location was in Igboland around mid 1750s. Olaudah was captured when he was 11 years old or so and his memories of his native birth place were from his childhood days in Igbo land (which should be around the late 1740s and early 1750s). Olaudah's actual village in Igboland is still debated, with some claiming 'ashaka' in Delta Igbo region and some saying 'Isseke' in Anambra state, just around the border to Imo state. Personally, I am inclined to go with Isseke in Anambra state because his description of his travels after he was captured was mainly on land (he would have reported crossing the river niger across to the east as he made his way towards bonny or calabar port to be sold if he were captured from ashaka) and the dialect of the few Igbo words he used in his memoir indicates someone not from the 'core' anambra areas (onitsha, njikoka etc.) but from around the borders where dialects are similar to Imo north. For example, he used 'afor' to describe year in Igbo, which is correct, however the 'core' anambra or onitsha man would say 'aro' for 'year'. 'Afor' is used very well in Imo state. He also made mention of mgburichi which would have been mgbulichi in these 'core' anambra areas, with the 'r' indicating a southern influence on the dialect of his people, which many anambra towns near the border to imo state till today have.

The next academic evidence comes from the visitation of Simon Jonas, son of an ex Igbo slave born in Sierra Leone, to Onitsha in 1832 and being referred to as 'oh eboe ojii' by the natives.

Everything else is mere speculation.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 7:26pm On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Honestly, I don't know. Someone from Ebonyi should be able to tell us that.

The fact remains that the earliest academically documented evidence of the usage of oyibo in Nigeria was by the account of Olaudah Equiano, an ex Igbo slave who was born circa 1745 and the location was in Igboland around mid 1750s. Olaudah was captured when he was 11 years old or so and his memories of his native birth place were from his childhood days in Igbo land (which should be around the late 1740s and early 1750s).

The next academic evidence comes from the visitation of Simon Jonas, son of an ex Igbo slave born in Sierra Leone, to Onitsha in 1832 and being referred to as 'oh eboe ojii' by the natives.

Everything else is mere speculation.

em ok tnx. go check out my Sunday stew and jollof rice recipe in food section ok
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by 9jakool: 8:02pm On May 16, 2017
Olu317:
Evidence of bead manufacture among the Yoruba dates as far as the 11th Century AD. Scientific evidence exists indicating that blue-green glass beads made in Ile-Ife were being traded outside the Yoruba area long before the era of European contact. My ancestors have had contact with Whites through their business dealing,long before slave trade. In fact, Yoruba beads was an outstanding because it not in existence in SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA apart from the Yoruba producing it . Forget, this your egocentrism about Ibos because DNA support the Yoruba as the largest ethnic group in AMERICAS as far as the African continent is concerned. So, forget what you think s TRUE. Like I have always emphasise, the word IGBO wasn't your identity in 14th—19th century. The Easter people were known as EBOES.
Yeah I've heard Ife traded across the Sahara. Ife also had furnaces where those red and blue glass beads were manufactured.
kudos to you! You know your stuff. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 9:01pm On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

@bold...where is your evidence for this? And what is the use of this entire irrelevant post of yours anyway to the discourse at hand? Which DNA supports Yoruba as the largest ethnic group in America? Or this is one of those fake theories in your head? So-called half-baked african historians.

Truth be told as it is, Ifa is an afro religion in the new world with many adherents who are not necessarily of Yoruba ancestry, just like Christianity or Islam. Roman Catholicism originated from Rome and there are over 5 million or more Roman Catholics in Nigeria but that does not mean we are descended from Rome or are Romans by blood. Just because you see many black people adhering to Ifa in Brazil, Cuba etc. it does not mean they are Yorubas. It would be your greatest folly to assume so. A great number of these followers are descended from slaves from Congo, Angola, etc. who sent to those countries in huge numbers, even from the Bight of Biafra too. Many of these Ifa followers follow Ifa not because they think they are Yoruba but because they seek some sort of cultural connection back to mama africa, and the Yourba being the last of tribes to arrive the new world, their cultural elements survived the most. Infact as recently as the early 1900s, there were some native nago-speaking slaves in the new world. Those born in the early 1900s would be our grandparents today for some of us or our great-grandparents. It really should be looked into why the language did not survive as a living language when at the time they arrived, slavery had been long abolished and more slave freedom of association and religion was allowed. Their entry into the new world was recent, and their connection to home was the strongest, thus many were able to remember and return successfully to Yoruba land (Ajayi Crowther, for example). DNA may undergo recombination but it is never lost. For posterity's sake leave your unnecessary tribal sentiments aside and see things for how they truly are.

Truly, in terms of ancestral DNA, Yoruba would come in after Congo, Angola, Igbo, Ewe-Fon, Akan etc. but Yoruba is often given more attention due to the influence of its religion in the new world.
You think, it is about pride? My dear, I am not crazily emotional about certain details except abuses has creep up. I attached to my last info where BEADS WERE BEING SOLD BEYOND AFRICA before it declined due to cheap production of substandard of it in Europe around 16th-17th century. For benefit of doubt. I will reattach it once again. Zoom it and you will see “SEGI" bead etc. Then on the second, on DNA, you must be kidding if you don't accept what DNA researchers have done. I really don't enjoy attachment because it waste time. Although, I will want you google this; “ancestors of Yoruba people provided the largest contribution of genes from Africa to modern Americans"
This research was done by Oxford team.

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 9:10pm On May 16, 2017
9jakool:

Yeah I've heard Ife traded across the Sahara. Ife also had furnaces where those red and blue glass beads were manufactured.
kudos to you! You know your stuff. smiley
I do thorough research before I comment. And I am here to compliment others like you and Co that have been doing tremendous work to unravel the past of Yoruba ancestors. Thanks all the way

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 9:18pm On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You need to do the same too that indicates where Ajayi Crowther WROTE, not published, but WROTE the Igbo primer.

Maybe in your 'off brain' mode, 'writing' and 'publishing' are the same thing to you.

Here's mine:

www.omniglot.com/writing/igbo/htm

I know that the two are different efforts, and I know as the world goes, the ethics of scholarship required that a book bears the name of its author.

The practise is as old as writing, its called celophon, older than when Gutemberg invented the movable type. Lead me to your proof princess.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OMANBALA1: 10:25pm On May 16, 2017
ewa26:

What is "ibo" ?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 10:41pm On May 16, 2017
Olu317:
You think, it is about pride? My dear, I am not crazily emotional about certain details except abuses has creep up. I attached to my last info where BEADS WERE BEING SOLD BEYOND AFRICA before it declined due to cheap production of substandard of it in Europe around 16th-17th century. For benefit of doubt. I will reattach it once again. Zoom it and you will see “SEGI" bead etc. Then on the second, on DNA, you must be kidding if you don't accept what DNA researchers have done. I really don't enjoy attachment because it waste time. Although, I will want you google this; “ancestors of Yoruba people provided the largest contribution of genes from Africa to modern Americans"
This research was done by Oxford team.

You are still derailing the topic matter and drawing irrelevant things into this topic. How does bead production relate to the very question for which this thread was created? Is bead creation evidence that 'oyibo', not 'oyinbo' is of yoruba origin? Honestly, I am still trying to get your logic behind this image you posted and how it relates to the subject matter. Somebody help me out here. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 10:48pm On May 16, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Here's mine:

www.omniglot.com/writing/igbo/htm

I know that the two are different efforts, and I know as the world goes, the ethics of scholarship required that a book bears the name of its author.

The practise is as old as writing, its called celophon, older than when Gutemberg invented the movable type. Lead me to your proof princess.

Your provided link is as dead as it goes. 'African researcher', incase you do not know who a book producer of publisher is, here is the definition:

The first book in Igbo, Isoama-Ibo, a primer, was produced in 1857 by Samuel Ajayi Crowther, an ex-slave, teacher and linguist. Today, Igbo is written in an expanded version of the Latin alphabet. However, the wide variety of spoken dialects has made agreement about a standard orthography for the language very difficult. The current orthography which has been in use since 1962 is given below.

When we say that BW&A is not a publishing company, we’re sometimes asked what that means. So here is a brief description of some of the functions of a publisher.

A PUBLISHER:
a. Selects and vouches for the book’s content
Publishers select or commission a particular manuscript because (a) they find it worthy of public dissemination and / or (b) because they expect its sales will be a commercial success. One of the most essential functions of a publisher is to “vouch” for the content of a book by putting their imprint on it.
BW&A doesn’t place our imprint on books we work on; instead, our client’s imprint usually appears on the spine and title page. Normally BW&A is not involved in developing a manuscript’s concepts, research, or writing.

b. Finances the project, and benefits from sales.
Publishers provide the funds for the work done to create a book: editing, design, typesetting, manufacture, and marketing. Publishers receive the revenue from sales of a book. The hope, of course, is that income will exceed expenses. But that calculated risk is undertaken by the publisher.
In contrast, BW&A Books provides services to publishers. We act as agents for our clients. It’s somewhat similar to a general contractor arranging for and supervising the construction of a building. BW&A is responsible for quality work, done on time and on budget. But, at the end of the day, our clients own the finished books, not us.

c. Markets and distributes the book to the public.
Once a book has been printed and bound, the publisher usually handles (or arranges for someone else to handle) the sale of the book to the public. In the case of an established publisher, this might include: listing the book in their catalog; selling books to wholesalers; calling on bookstores to encourage them to place orders; arranging for marketing strategies to raise awareness about the book to its intended audience, etc.
BW&A can handle all the stages of book-making that fall between a manuscript and finished books. We can and do create brochures or other sales materials for our clients. But once bound books are delivered to our client’s warehouse, our involvement is usually complete.

Producer Role
Music producers are hired by the musician, the record company or music publisher as project managers in the recording process. Producers work on songs from start to finish, provide artistic feedback and direction, aid in the development and arrangement of songs, overseeing studio personnel, time and budget constraints. Producers are paid a producer fee plus a percentage of sales-based record royalty payments by the hiring party. Producers in the book world are print manufacturers, hired by the author or publisher to print finished books. Book printers are paid per unit of manufacture plus applicable set-up fees and are not entitled to per-sale royalty income. Some book printers offer wholesale distribution and retail fulfillment services for which they are paid fees according to individual pricing policy.

With all these made clear-cut, I am pretty sure you would remain adamant in being open to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Antivirus92(m): 10:50pm On May 16, 2017
pazienza:

Oka is Igbo word for Maize, Some parts of Igbo land call it Ukwuoru, but Oka is the word used in central Igbo and Anambra/Enugu towns Stop talking trash, you are not an Igbo and so in no position to say what is Igbo word and what isn't.
From my little stay in Yorubaland, I know that the central and everyday used word for maize /corn in Yorubaland is Agbado. Agbado ati Agbon( Maize and coconut)i s a regular rainy season snack in Yorubaland.

You Yorubas are damn annoying.
when I earlier said that yorubas are irritating in this thread ,some thought I was just beefing them. They really are....

imagine someone who has never left osogbo all through his life and whose every knowledge about Igbo people is dependent on Google and little books now authoritatively tells u what things are your language and what they are not.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by ewa26: 10:52pm On May 16, 2017
OMANBALA1:

What is "ibo" ?
no stop bein pedanticing, if i as to b igbo rather dan ibo why do we use enugu for d otentic enugwu, em ebonyi for aubine, owerri for d ortenic OWERRE

why cant you leave me to use the spelling me and my delta pikin will rada use any problem with dat?
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 11:05pm On May 16, 2017
Your English is nonsense, ewa.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 11:05pm On May 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

You are still derailing the topic matter and drawing irrelevant things into this topic. How does bead production relate to the very question for which this thread was created? Is bead creation evidence that 'oyibo', not 'oyinbo' is of yoruba origin? Honestly, I am still trying to get your logic behind this image you posted and how it relates to the subject matter. Somebody help me out here. undecided
You are the greatest Comedian of the 21st century. Have you forgotten that you claimed Eboes had contact with outsiders including whites between 14th—17th century before Yoruba ? And this which you claimed wasn't true based on radiocarbon test at Ile ife that confirmed the beads manufacturing ,clothing production and with evidences in Africa and Europe. And I countered your view on OLUADAH as Ibo man because the said man was the same man being identified as THOMAS PETERS which make the story of OLUADAH a Joke! Thirdly I told you about the word “Óka" as being used in Yoruba land, especially in the hinterlands. And the word Oyinbo was in actual fact existed in Yoruba land long before Ibos. Have you even forgotten Yoruba have the largest Nigeria's ethnicity in England in the past ? Even till now, ONE OF THEM STILL DID YORUBA PROUD, ANTHONY OLUWAFEMI OLASENI JOSHUA. Have you forgotten that Ibos like to commit suicide by jumping off boards once captured most times when they had such opportunity,especially the ones with NRI marks. How did Ibos now become the group that first used the word, when Yoruba land were already organised and transacted with the rest of the world ,when Ibos were still basically FARMERS. Get your fact right! No hard feeling.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 11:06pm On May 16, 2017
Oyinbo's Yoruba. Oyibo's Igbo. One didn't have to borrow or copy, Olu.

That last bit about Igbo farmers vs. Yoruba civilisations is nonsense and you know it. Mechie onu.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 1:59am On May 17, 2017
Olu317:
You are the greatest Comedian of the 21st century. Have you forgotten that you claimed Eboes had contact with outsiders including whites between 14th—17th century before Yoruba ? And this which you claimed wasn't true based on radiocarbon test at Ile ife that confirmed the beads manufacturing ,clothing production and with evidences in Africa and Europe. And I countered your view on OLUADAH as Ibo man because the said man was the same man being identified as THOMAS PETERS which make the story of OLUADAH a Joke! Thirdly I told you about the word “Óka" as being used in Yoruba land, especially in the hinterlands. And the word Oyinbo was in actual fact existed in Yoruba land long before Ibos. Have you even forgotten Yoruba have the largest Nigeria's ethnicity in England in the past ? Even till now, ONE OF THEM STILL DID YORUBA PROUD, ANTHONY OLUWAFEMI OLASENI JOSHUA. Have you forgotten that Ibos like to commit suicide by jumping off boards once captured most times when they had such opportunity,especially the ones with NRI marks. How did Ibos now become the group that first used the word, when Yoruba land were already organised and transacted with the rest of the world ,when Ibos were still basically FARMERS. Get your fact right! No hard feeling.

You are the jokester here. Olaudah Equiano did exist and his daughter's grave in the UK is still identified till today. His activities in the US are also on record. There is no known image taken of him, thus that picture assigned to him to put a 'face' to the name. The same applies to Thomas Peters, with no known image or picture taken of him, that same image was assigned to him as well. His last known address where he lived in London is still known, and his wife and two daughters' names. Olaudah was sometime ago given a commemorative plaque which hangs on the outside of the building in London where he lived. Thus it is preposterous and quite laughable to even think Olaudah was Thomas Peters.

Second, I was putting it clear that Igbos got exposed to the Europeans long before the time some people were insinuating here through slavery. Pre-slavery, the Igbo Ukwu art works, which have been discovered to have more details, finery and finesse than any of its southern Nigerian counterpart, flourished as early as the 9th century and indications are that materials used for these art works were outsourced from far distances, with Egypt not being ruled out. Also, the ancient Igbo pyramids discovered in Udi Nigeria which are smaller images of what looks like the Egyptian pyramids indicate an ancient construction of those pyramids.

Anthony Joshua is a Nigerian and we are all proud of him. Nigerians everywhere are doing well, you act like it is only Yorubas that hold success exclusively. Since the last 4 years in quick succession, 5 Igbo children in the US have been admitted to ALL Ivy league schools in the US, no Yoruba child is yet to do that in the US. Igbo kids also beat white kids, other African kids, Indian and Chinese kids in general exams in the same UK with a high population of Yorubas, with an overall higher pass rate than other groups. There's much more that I have lost count. So quit that childish thinking of yours.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.