Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,167 members, 7,835,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (70385 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 3:00pm On May 18, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Where did you claim Oga originated from again?

Bigfrancis! bigfrancis!! bigfrancis21!!!

How many times did I called you?

Are you insane?

How does organising rhyme with Oga when its not 'ogernizing'? The Yoruba have both organ and orga in their words before the West arrived here:

Oga, hierarchy, leader. Note, this has no organisational undertone, but have to do with top echelon of human endeavour.

Organ (ogan) anthill, as it is said: okiti-ogan, ori ara re nii jin le, meaning, anthill: upon itself must it capitulate. This proverb is meant to answer the tapering structural mannerisms of anthills.

Other conceptualization of the word Oga are as follows:

Oga: chameleon, o ga: something that puff itself up, because the animal often raise its back upward when touched.

Ega: the common bird that form a band and nest in colony. The bird is so called because....

Iga: this is Yoruba for realm, quarters or family-conclave. It is because of this that the social bird, ega is so called.

Organising is ileto or eto in Yoruba. It is a concrete slang nowadays to call people 'organising' among bus stop touts, even there, it doesn't mean oga.

Dude, are you obsessed with me or something? shocked

I just posted a possible origin of oga from the English word 'organizer' and you almost wet your pants. Are you this insecure or something? You barely could not give the 'syllable by syllable' break down of 'oga' in Yoruba as you guys are wont to, and just claimed 'oga' means 'leader' and you expect anyone reading here to believe you when you barely know anything about african history save for Ile Ife and environs? You must be a jokester.

PS: the origin of 'oga' from 'organizer' is highly more probable..

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 3:03pm On May 18, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You love to make up accusations a lot, just to do your mudfighting stuffs. Who cares about your weeping for Equanox? When did I questioned his existence? I'm not your kind of man.

What I said to that effect is, how do we know if the 'red eboe' were the Arochukwu slave dealers or the white men at the coast buying the slaves from them that the record refers to.

I expected you to make clarification in this area to buttress your point, but your tribal bigotry was given you a seizure and you can't help spewing tick muccossa stuffs in that instance.

I know you have comprehension issue due to your tribal monomaniac tendencies. Just relax and read to comprehend, take the lagoon off your mind for a seconds, ndo.

If you could spend 10 minutes typing all that up there, then what do you need clarification from me for when you could simply open google and get what you want in less than 2 minutes? grin

Well, i'm not clarifying anything for you given your modus operandi of cynicism. If you need any info go get it online.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 3:19pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Dude, are you obsessed with me or something? shocked

I just posted a possible origin of oga from the English word 'organizer' and you almost wet your pants. Are you this insecure or something? You barely could not give the 'syllable by syllable' break down of 'oga' in Yoruba as you guys are wont to, and just claimed 'oga' means 'leader' and you expect anyone reading here to believe you when you barely know anything about african history save for Ile Ife and environs? You must be a jokester.

PS: the origin of 'oga' from 'organizer' is highly more probable..

You of all people obsessed?

Well I like your person as a Nigerian youth that we both are, and that we can all have a conversation on cultural motifs of the land. Also, one needs to be happy to be alive each and everyday.

Meanwhile, I am not putting those explanations up for you but for any less-informed Yoruba youth that might want to take your 'smoking-while-typing' comment seriously.

I am sure you're one Gbanna addict roaming the streets of Malaysia. That's why I refused to be obsessed by you. Go and sin no more. Weed is not in your favour.

I take your fuCkry on this with a pinch of salt.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 3:37pm On May 18, 2017
Olu317:
I will take it from the last ,T. B Jake that doesn't have Bishop Oyedepo's congregation or pastor Adeboye's congregation. T.B Joshua likewise other Yoruba pastors are from Nigeria. Secondly, I wonder if T.B Jake's DNA make him Ibo. I don't have his DNA details but I will want you to prove it because Ibos can make things up. I can recall that Ibos have mischievously lied on so many occasions. For instance

Blair Underwood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Underwood

1) Underwood's DNA test showed that he is a descendant of the Babungo people of Cameroon. Additional DNA testing and genealogical research revealed that his African ancestry comes from the Bamum, Brong, Yoruba, and lgbo ethnic groups of Western Africa.The DNA test also connected Blair to a distant cousin in Babungo, Cameroon.The test also revealed that he is of 26% European and 74% Sub-Saharan African ancestry.
If any tribe wants to claim "Blair Underwood" it is supposed to be Cameroon, not Igbos, so remove him from your useless: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

2) Edward Wilmot Blyden, was never an Igbo man, he was a Yoruba man and never Igbo man. But Igbo people mischievously put him on their:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

Another set of Yoruba too
“1) Karreem Abdul Jabbar -- the Lakers legend just confirmed from his DNA test that he is Yoruba
2) Judge Glenda Hatchett was crying in the court house when she told the crowd that her DNA confirmed she is Yoruba
3) Carlton E. Brown (current president of Clark university, Atlanta, Ga.
4) Theo Martins -- a rapper
5) Yoruba Richen -- Anthropologist
6) Robert Johnson Omohundro Nuclear Scientist
7) Booker Teniafeni Washington

Your people (Ibo) are the first set of people to claim the largest ethnic group in Africa via YouTube. Imagine? I doubt any information on your claim except you give me his DNA record.
Ibos are still the group of people that kept claiming JEWISH and yet Ibo have nothing close to you tradition close to Jewish in terms of using animal for ritualism(heifer,white ram and lamb etc) . Even the head Priest in Yoruba land is called ARABA close to RABBI (JEWISH PRIEST)
Temitope Balogun went to Israel with pride and he has become the talk of the town over there,because of the power of healing through him from almighty God. In fact how many presidents or extremely powerful people have visited J. D Jake where he is in America? I am waiting for the day Ibos will be classified as Neanderthals. Then I can be begin to believe your theory of Jewish link.
I had to refresh your memory because I doubt most information you people provide. Some years ago, there was a study that mentioned Ibo as EGYPTIANS. It confirms the pyramid story because of Ibos language connection. Have you read it?

Lol. You are very funny. You think you want to play the game of who has the most famous pastor? Is that what true religion or spirituality is about? grin Whatever dude, if in your small mind T B Joshua is the most popular pastor of all times and century so be it. grin

What's the point of mentioning those handful of African Americans? If I start listing those of Igbo ancestry, there would be so many of them.

1) Blair Underwood: I am not even going to argue with you on this one. Read from his mouth himself:

Here's the excerpt of the interview made by Blair Underwood himself concerning his Igbo ancestry.

Blair Underwood
Actor

AA: How has the knowledge of your African
ancestry (that we provided) has impacted
you?
Mr. Underwood: It given me a sense of community
and satisfied a lifelong curiosity. A welcome
surprise that my people are from Nigeria & Igbo
people.

AA: Why do you believe this knowledge of
ancestry is important?
Mr. Underwood: The knowledge has given me a
better understanding of the person I've become. I
believe our DNA plays a large part. It explains
certain characteristics, traits, be it personal,
medical or culturally.
AA: What have you done with your African
Ancestry results?
Mr: Underwood: Distributed among every
Underwood I know and family members at a recent
Family Reunion.

Thus Blair Underwood and his father went to Cameroon. The show made a big deal about “going home” yet it is unclear to me that this was home. Yes, 27% of his DNA matched the Bamoun people of Cameroon, but 47% matched people who are from tribes found primarily in Nigeria and Ghana. There are likely thousands of genetic matches for Blair Underwood all over Western Africa (and also probably in Cape Verde, Brazil, the West Indies, and other places where the slave trade was rampant), what made Cameroon “home” was that a distantly-related Cameroonian kindly donated his DNA to Ancestry’s registry

DNA testing comprises of 3 major parts, the 2 major ones are Y-DNA test (which tests your paternal ancestry) and mt-DNA test which tests your maternal ancestry. Blair is said to be paternally descended from the Igbo of Nigeria and maternally from Cameroon.

2)
Edward Wilmot Blyden, was never an Igbo man, he was a Yoruba man and never Igbo man. But Igbo people mischievously put him on their: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

I laugh in spanish. If using google is quite difficult for you, it is truly a pity.

FEATURES
Edward Wilmot Blyden :- Father of Pan Africanism (August 3, 1832 to February 7, 1912)
By Awareness Times
Aug 3, 2006, 18:48 Email this article

Today, August 3rd 2006 marks the 174th anniversary of the birth of EDWARD WILMOT BLYDEN. All over the world from the Caribbean where streets and monuments are named after him; to the USA where whole buildings and libraries have been dedicated to him and where his written work is archived and studiously examined by scholars; to nearer Liberia where the most prestigious lecture forum is named the Edward Wilmot Blyden Forum; to South Africa where President Thabo Mbeki generously sprinkles his speeches with mention of, and quotes from this great man; to Nigeria where this son of a captured Ibo slave returned in glory and left his indelible mark; to Ethiopia where his written work is closely studied by Rastafarians, the name Edward Blyden evokes admiration, awe and immense respect.

In the encyclopaedia series, "Africa Who’s Who", published by Nigeria’s Raph Uwechue, the largest number of pages in the entire encyclopaedic series was devoted to Blyden. Here in Sierra Leone, aside a few mention of him in our primary school classes, not much is known of this internationally revered man whose bust stands so prominently in front of the City Hall in the capital city, Freetown and whose body lies buried here at the Race Course Cemetery.
http://news.sl/drwebsite/exec/view.cgi?archive=3&num=148

Another website:

DECOLONIZING BLYDEN
by
ANTAR FIELDS

Page 17:
Analyzing the most salient and controversial component of Blyden’s black consciousness, his colorism or
disdain for mulattoes, provides further insight into the complexities of race and color in
Liberia.

Blyden was born on August 3, 1832 to free “pure” black parents, Romeo and
Judith Blyden, whose lineages traced back to the Igbo people of eastern Nigeria
. Born
into relative privilege in the predominately Jewish, and English-speaking section of St.
Thomas, Blyden attributed his desires for religion and literature to his mother, a
seamstress and school teacher who paid for his primary and private tuition. While living
in the Dutch West Indian colony, Blyden became the pupil of the Reverend John Knox of
the Dutch Reformed Church in 1845. Blyden had previously returned to St. Thomas with
his family after spending two years in Porto Cabello, Venezuela, where he learned to
speak fluent Spanish.
https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/fields_antar_p_200508_ma.pdf

Or maybe you are going to ask me if he existed also or proof that he is of Igbo ancestry. That would be very preposterous.

3) Booker T. Washington

The T. in his name stands for Taliaferro, not Tanifeani, which is an Italian name for 'ironcutter'. Most history books are silent on his ancestral origins and it is not confirmed that he is of Yoruba ancestry, thus, his name should not be on your list. If there is anyone claiming here, it should be you claiming Booker T. Washington. Are you this desperate for attention and relevance?

4) I could not find any proof of the DNA-test confirmation of the Yoruba ancestry of Theo Martins, Yoruba Richen or Robert Johnson Omohundro, other from the yoruba-centric page on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TheYorubaPeople/posts/305329309573064, where you copied and pasted your info from. I think it is quite clear to everyone that the popularity of the ifa religion may make several black-descended peoples identify with the religion or tribe, but are not necessarily descended from it. If you have solid proof they ARE of Yoruba ancestry please provide it for us.

The only 3 confirmed people of Yoruba ancestry on your list of 7 are 3: Judge Hatchett, Kareem Jabbar and Carleton Brown.

Speaking about names, several confirmed african americans of Igbo ancestry are taking on Igbo names and returning to the Igbo fold. One of them is an african american who entirely changed her name to Chinyere Njoku.
http://www.dnatestedafricans.org/?lightbox=dataItem-izwv64nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbkl9Ib_m4&t=211s

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 4:08pm On May 18, 2017
Western Blacks with Igbo Names

The following people are western blacks with Igbo names who do not have a recent Igbo ancestor.

1) Nnenna Freelon

She's an American musician with no direct ties to Nigeria who was born with the name Nnenna.

2) Jhene Efuru Aiko

Jhene Aiko is a musician from America and was given 'Efuru' as a middle name (which she uses on her official twitter handle) from Flora Nwapa's novel.

3) Ne-Yo 'Chimere'

This one is a bit questionable because it hasn't been confirmed, and it seems even Ne-Yo doesn't know the origin citing Chinese (even thous no Chinese name Chimere exists). Ne-Yo is an American singer/song writer.

4) Kojo Nnamdi

A radio presenter who adopted the Ashanti day name Kojo meaning monday and the Igbo name Nnamdi as a family name.

5) George N'Namdi

George N'Namdi is an art collector. Him and his wife decided to change their family name to N'Namdi (popular name, perhaps because of Nnamdi Azikiwe, a pan-African icon and once a member of an American Greek sorority).

He's the owner of the N'Namdi Center for Contemporary Arts.

His Son Jumaane N'Namdi apparently also owns a gallery, or co-owns his fathers.

6) Ekwueme Michael Thewell

Jamaican writer and activist, I think he was given Ekwueme by Chinua Achebe.

7) Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora

Jamaican dub poet, he changed his name from 'Orlando Wong' along with his wife Adaugo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdsbongExuo

8.) Ibo Simon

A musician from Martinique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qHlYGpcIzk

9) Chinyere Pigot
Chinyere Pigot is a Surinamese swimmer living in Miami, Florida who attended the University of Connecticut and participated on a collegiate level.

10) Rev. Sister Antona Ebo,

She is an African American Roman Catholic reverend sister and, perhaps, one of the few african americans who still bears an 'Ebo' last name, and she is known to have actively participated in the human rights march in the 1965.

11) Michael 'Ibo' Cooper
Reggae musician, was teased for looking like the skinny children in Biafran adverts and adopted 'Ibo'.

12) Onitsha Laquis Shaw

She is an American gospel musician. Her first album, Church Girl, was released by Stillwaters Records in 2007.

13) Chike Sullivan

He is a soccer player from Trinidad and Tobago.

[img]http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2007-03-08/chike-solomon.pg-68.jpg[/img]

14) Aimé 'Eme' Césaire

Poet and politician from Martinique and part of the Negritude movement, apparently he said he's of Igbo descent through slaver so maybe this isn't relevant here, but his first name Aimé (Aim is pronounced 'Em' in French) is from the Igbo name Eme.

15) Chinyere Naja Njoku Ugezu

Queen Mother (NzuMafo)
Founder of DNA Tested African Descendants Org, Co-founder of African Royal DNA Project, MBA, SFC (Retired) US Army

16) ND Sydney Davis, Okpara Eze Eluemuno Eri

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 4:10pm On May 18, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

You of all people obsessed?

Well I like your person as a Nigerian youth that we both are, and that we can all have a conversation on cultural motifs of the land. Also, one needs to be happy to be alive each and everyday.

Meanwhile, I am not putting those explanations up for you but for any less-informed Yoruba youth that might want to take your 'smoking-while-typing' comment seriously.

I am sure you're one Gbanna addict roaming the streets of Malaysia. That's why I refused to be obsessed by you. Go and sin no more. Weed is not in your favour.

I take your fuCkry on this with a pinch of salt.

grin grin you are truly obsessed bro. grin

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 4:11pm On May 18, 2017
What's with the resemblance of Igbo and AA looks?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 4:17pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:

How many times did you called or call him? Don't lay into someone if your grammar's a joke.
If you are looking out for people's faute ,puis, you will chercher et fatigué. You can do better than picking on people's mistake(s).
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 4:17pm On May 18, 2017
Olu317:
If you are looking out for people's faute ,enpuis, you will chercher et fatigué. You can do better than picking on people's mistake(s).
Was I talking to you?

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 4:18pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
What's with the resemblance of Igbo and AA looks?

From my personal observance, the looks are quite striking. Members of each group can pass off as the other. Take this Nigerian Igbo soccer player for the US soccer team, Chijioke Onyewu, who could pass off as a biracial african-american person but he is 100% Igbo on both sides.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by StarFlux: 4:30pm On May 18, 2017
Oga is a basic Yoruba noun; it's irreducible (VCV). Organizer is pronounced with pressure on the "o". Phonetically it would translate to ọ́ọgà(nizer, i.e long high-low) if you were to actually believe it is a corruption. However, the word is pronounced ọ̀gá (short low-high) in Yoruba. It's not a borrwed word, and even if it was you can't prove it since it's irreducible.

I'm all for productive discussions, but when people start to manufacture their own truths it has gone way too far.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 4:44pm On May 18, 2017
Lol. First you have no concrete proof of oga being a Yoruba word, other than 'it is a Yoruba word and you must believe what I say'. Lol. Second, you can't use inflections to justify origins since Nigerian English has different inflections or ways in pronouncing words from the same words pronounced by an American or British. Nigerian lingo adopt these words and localize them. So that is not enough proof against the obvious.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Johnpaul09(m): 4:47pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

It is often said that 'oga' comes from 'organizer' in pre-colonial days. It came from situations like hosted events, ceremonies or parties where the person in charge, called the 'organizer' which Nigerians freshly exposed to English then had difficulty in pronouncing it in full, and shortened it to 'oga' in pronunciation.

I often see the general 'consensus' among many Nigerians that any popularly used word across Nigeria comes from south west, which isn't always true.

There is no 'real' Igbo or 'fake' Igbo. Your understanding of Igbo is quite cursory and it is evident you didn't grow up in the east, thus viewing Igbo from the side of Igboland you are from. Bekee is an Imo/Abia thing. I am from Anambra but spent about 12 years in Owerri. I only heard 'bekee' outside - at school or in the church etc. My family on both sides (dad - anambra, mom - enugu) all used Oyibo. Even my paternal grandmother's name is Oyibolalu. Imo/Abia people sometimes even use oyibo, depending on the situation.

You mentioned you grew up in the west and your only understanding or exposure to Igboland was through your immediate family members who are from Imo/Abia, thus I am not surprised you think the 'real Igbo' word is 'bekee'. You are not that exposed as you think.
Hahaha, I can't stop laughing. How could you appropriate me to Imo or Abia State because of your purported thinking that bekee originated from both states?
I am from Anaocha L.G.A., Anambra State, lived in Oyo State, had my tertiary education in FUTO and currently working in Awka. This is to tell you that I have full knowledge of what I am saying here. Oyibo/Oyinbo belongs to Yoruba and bekee belongs to Igbo.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 4:52pm On May 18, 2017
Johnpaul09:
Hahaha, I can't stop laughing. How could you appropriate me to Imo or Abia State because of your purported thinking that bekee originated from both states?
I am from Anaocha L.G.A., Anambra State, lived in Oyo State, had my tertiary education in FUTO and currently working in Awka. This is to tell you that I have full knowledge of what I am saying here. Oyibo/Oyinbo belongs to Yoruba and bekee belongs to Igbo.

I'm from Anaocha and I can tell you that no one uses bekee in Adazi or Agukwu.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by StarFlux: 5:22pm On May 18, 2017
You are quite wrong there. Of course you can use pronounciation as a pint-pointer as to where a word came from (or did not come from). Pretty much every borrowed Yoruba word follows mostly the pattern of standard UK English:

Skirt (falling tone) - síkéètì (falling tone) - aso awosodo.
Computer (low-high-high) - kònpútá (low-high-high) - ero onisiro.
Nigeria (low-high-high-low) - Nàìjíríà (low-high-high-low).

You are also mistaken in your view in which you actually believe that you can ever (as in, without a doubt) prove a word's origin. That's obviously not possible due to language predating written records. I see that you like refering to historical accounts which only proves that a word has been used; it does not prove the word's origin or how it came to be.

If you do care about the validity of your arguements, then you should avoid falling into such traps. First you assume (based on zero evidence, other than "it is said" - by whom, where, when?) that oga comes from organizer. You then make a second assumption that oga was taken from pidgin English which again took it from English. That's a whole lot of assumptions based on nothing factual. It's fair to say that your arguement would be dismissed in any serious academic setting.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 5:23pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

grin grin you are truly obsessed bro. grin

LOL!

How have you been bigfrancis? Hope you marching forward with similar zeal in your academics in the States? Its been a while. I missed all pundits and troublemakers here, the likes of metaphysical, Radoillo, macof and co.

I believe they are all doing fine in their respective engagements. No boring moment in life once you have data.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 5:23pm On May 18, 2017
He was just giving a theory. He wasn't assuming anything.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by StarFlux: 5:29pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
He was just giving a theory. He wasn't assuming anything.
It's not a theory when you say:
So that is not enough proof against the obvious

A theory is also a set of assumptions, nothing more. With that said, these oyinbo threads are always interesting, but they never bear with them anything fruitful. Basically you just end up arguing for no reason.

I quietly exit the discussion, my friends.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 6:14pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Lol. You are very funny. You think you want to play the game of who has the most famous pastor? Is that what true religion or spirituality is about? grin Whatever dude, if in your small mind T B Joshua is the most popular pastor of all times and century so be it. grin

What's the point of mentioning those handful of African Americans? If I start listing those of Igbo ancestry, there would be so many of them.

1) Blair Underwood: I am not even going to argue with you on this one. Read from his mouth himself:

DNA testing comprises of 3 major parts, the 2 major ones are Y-DNA test (which tests your paternal ancestry) and mt-DNA test which tests your maternal ancestry. Blair is said to be paternally descended from the Igbo of Nigeria and maternally from Cameroon.

2)

I laugh in spanish. If using google is quite difficult for you, it is truly a pity.

http://news.sl/drwebsite/exec/view.cgi?archive=3&num=148

Another website:

https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/fields_antar_p_200508_ma.pdf

Or maybe you are going to ask me if he existed also or proof that he is of Igbo ancestry. That would be very preposterous.

3) Booker T. Washington

The T. in his name stands for Taliaferro, not Tanifeani, which is an Italian name for 'ironcutter'. Most history books are silent on his ancestral origins and it is not confirmed that he is of Yoruba ancestry, thus, his name should not be on your list. If there is anyone claiming here, it should be you claiming Booker T. Washington. Are you this desperate for attention and relevance?

4) I could not find any proof of the DNA-test confirmation of the Yoruba ancestry of Theo Martins, Yoruba Richen or Robert Johnson Omohundro, other from the yoruba-centric page on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/TheYorubaPeople/posts/305329309573064, where you copied and pasted your info from. I think it is quite clear to everyone that the popularity of the ifa religion may make several black-descended peoples identify with the religion or tribe, but are not necessarily descended from it. If you have solid proof they ARE of Yoruba ancestry please provide it for us.

The only 3 confirmed people of Yoruba ancestry on your list of 7 are 3: Judge Hatchett, Kareem Jabbar and Carleton Brown.

Speaking about names, several confirmed african americans of Igbo ancestry are taking on Igbo names and returning to the Igbo fold. One of them is an african american who entirely changed her name to Chinyere Njoku.
http://www.dnatestedafricans.org/?lightbox=dataItem-izwv64nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbkl9Ib_m4&t=211s

Krio Sierra Leone : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krio_language

www​.revolvy.com/.../index.php?...

zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/.../1/

All the links I have given are basically krio of Sierra Leone . The main group named their were different fusion of tribes as krio but largely dominated by Yoruba because their names say so. Then another core group are the OKU(OKUN)which is basically OKUN PEOPLE OF YORUBA DESCENT. How come you claim Blyde as Ibo? That's the point. Krio largely bear Yoruba names and they are predominantly Christians. You are the ones I need to mock. So, you don't know Omohundro is Yoruba. You don't need to know though. However, you started the game of T.D JAKE, why turn around claiming innocent? YOU ARE GUILTY AS CHARGED though not in the court of law.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Johnpaul09(m): 6:36pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:

Nwanne just go and read Igbo journals and Bible. You can't see oyibo in any of them or official books/papers written in Igbo, just to tell you that it is not an original word.
I take my bow.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 6:46pm On May 18, 2017
Olu317:

Krio Sierra Leone : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krio_language

www​.revolvy.com/.../index.php?...

zetaboards.com/anthroscape/topic/.../1/

All the links I have given are basically krio of Sierra Leone . The main group named their were different fusion of tribes as krio but largely dominated by Yoruba because their names say so. Then another core group are the OKU(OKUN)which is basically OKUN PEOPLE OF YORUBA DESCENT. How come you claim Blyde as Ibo? That's the point. Krio largely bear Yoruba names and they are predominantly Christians. You are the ones I need to mock. So, you don't know Omohundro is Yoruba. You don't need to know though. However, you started the game of T.D JAKE, why turn around claiming innocent? YOU ARE GUILTY AS CHARGED though not in the court of law.

I was expecting you to bring up the krio people of SL and you did just that. grin

The section of people often considered part of the krio community though they are often considered separate are the oku people who are descendants of yoruba slaves destined for the new world who got their slave ships intercepted and they were dumped in Sierra Leone instead. The okun peopke are often not considered part of krio, though sometimes they are, because they are mostly moslems, with some minority christians. They are the people with Yoruba last names or first names, though majority of them have assimilated and dropped Nigerian names.

The creole people proper are those descended from slave returnees from jamaica, the US, caribbean etc. and they are predominantly christian with English names in full. Some of the creole people bear Igbo names such as:

1. The first president of Sierra Leone was an Igbo by the name of Christopher Okoro Cole. Before then, Okoro served as the Governor-General of Sierra Leone. His ascendancy into the presidential seat took place on April of 1971.

2. In April of 1992, an Igbo by the name of Captain Yahya Kanu became Military Head of State of Sierra Leone.

3. Sam Obi Metzeger: a SL soccer player for the SL national team.

Obi is a popular name answered among the creole people of SL and it means 'king' just as it is in Igbo.

4) My colleague from SL whose name is Chinua Freeman (Freeman = Amadi in Igbo).

Any many more.

In summary, the creole people do not bear yoruba names but the okun people do. Thus, when you speak about the yorubas in SL, you refer specifically to the okun people who are often differentiated from the creole people proper because the Okuns never really left Africa whereas the ancestors of the creole people (including Igbo-descended returnees such as Simon Jonas, author of the Isoama Ibo manuscript), some of who have some partial European ancestry, returned to Africa from the new world.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 6:50pm On May 18, 2017
Sierra Leone Creole people

The Sierra Leone Creole people (or Krio people) are an ethnic group in Sierra Leone. They are the descendants of freed African American, West Indian and Liberated African slaves who settled in the Western Area of Sierra Leone between 1787 and about 1885. The colony was established by the British, supported by abolitionists, under the Sierra Leone Company as a place for freedmen. The settlers called their new settlement Freetown. Today, the Krio comprise about 5% of the population of Sierra Leone.

Like their Americo-Liberian neighbors in Liberia, Krio have varying degrees of European ancestry because some of the settlers were descended from European Americans and other Europeans. Through the Jamaican Maroons some Krio probably also have indigenous Jamaican Amerindian Taíno ancestry. Alongside the Americo-Liberians, the Creoles are the only recognised ethnic group of African-American, Liberated African, and West Indian descent in West Africa. As with their Americo-Liberian neighbors, Creole culture is primarily westernized. The Krios developed close relationships with the British colonial power; they became educated in British institutions and held prominent leadership positions in Sierra Leone under British colonialism.

The vast majority of Creoles reside in Freetown and its surrounding Western Area region of Sierra Leone. The only Sierra Leonean ethnic group whose culture is similar (in terms of its integration of Western culture) are the Sherbro. From their mix of peoples, the Creoles developed what is now the native Krio language (a mixture of English, indigenous West African languages, and other European languages). It has been widely used for trade and communication among ethnic groups and is the most widely spoken language in Sierra Leone.

The Creoles are primarily Christian, but some scholars consider the Oku community of Sierra Leone as 'Creoles'. The Oku or Oku Mohammedans are known as Oku or Frobe (Fourah Bay) Krio and are the descendants of liberated Muslim Africans, who were mostly Yoruba from what is today Southwest Nigeria who settled in Freetown in the mid-19th century. Because the Creoles are a mixture of various African ethnic groups with some European and possible Amerindian ancestry, while the Oku are principally of Yoruba descent, some scholars do not classify the Oku as Creoles.

Due to their history, the vast majority of Creoles have European first names and surnames. Many have both English first names and last names. Most of the Oku Muslims have Islamic first names, some of them have English surnames.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 6:52pm On May 18, 2017
Johnpaul09:
Nwanne just go and read Igbo journals and Bible. You can't see oyibo in any of them or official books/papers written in Igbo, just to tell you that it is not an original word.
I take my bow.

I buro nwadiana, sorry to say this. Further embarrassing is that you even take pride in this excessive display of exuberance.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 6:53pm On May 18, 2017
StarFlux:
You are quite wrong there. Of course you can use pronounciation as a pint-pointer as to where a word came from (or did not come from). Pretty much every borrowed Yoruba word follows mostly the pattern of standard UK English:

Skirt (falling tone) - síkéètì (falling tone) - aso awosodo.
Computer (low-high-high) - kònpútá (low-high-high) - ero onisiro.
Nigeria (low-high-high-low) - Nàìjíríà (low-high-high-low).

You are also mistaken in your view in which you actually believe that you can ever (as in, without a doubt) prove a word's origin. That's obviously not possible due to language predating written records. I see that you like refering to historical accounts which only proves that a word has been used; it does not prove the word's origin or how it came to be.

If you do care about the validity of your arguements, then you should avoid falling into such traps. First you assume (based on zero evidence, other than "it is said" - by whom, where, when?) that oga comes from organizer. You then make a second assumption that oga was taken from pidgin English which again took it from English. That's a whole lot of assumptions based on nothing factual. It's fair to say that your arguement would be dismissed in any serious academic setting.

Sorry dude, oga most likely comes from 'organizer' in the English language. Keep an open mind here and be open to other possible suggestions, rather than wetting your pants unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:03pm On May 18, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

LOL!

How have you been bigfrancis? Hope you marching forward with similar zeal in your academics in the States? Its been a while. I missed all pundits and troublemakers here, the likes of metaphysical, Radoillo, macof and co.

I believe they are all doing fine in their respective engagements. No boring moment in life once you have data.

I'm good bruv. Enjoying life while it lasts. Weather is getting warmer as we are embracing for summer!

Tho I kinda now prefer the colder weather. I can't stand the sun's heat again. cry undecided

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 7:10pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I was expecting you to bring up the krio people of SL and you did just that. grin

The section of people often considered part of the krio community though they are often considered separate are the oku people who are descendants of yoruba slaves destined for the new world who got their slave ships intercepted and they were dumped in Sierra Leone instead. The okun peopke are often not considered part of krio, though sometimes they are, because they are mostly moslems, with some minority christians. They are the people with Yoruba last names or first names, though majority of them have assimilated and dropped Nigerian names.

The creole people proper are those descended from slave returnees from jamaica, the US, caribbean etc. and they are predominantly christian with English names in full. Some of the creole people bear Igbo names such as:

1. The first president of Sierra Leone was an Igbo by the name of Christopher Okoro Cole. Before then, Okoro served as the Governor-General of Sierra Leone. His ascendancy into the presidential seat took place on April of 1971.

2. In April of 1992, an Igbo by the name of Captain Yahya Kanu became Military Head of State of Sierra Leone.

3. Sam Obi Metzeger: a SL soccer player for the SL national team.

Obi is a popular name answered among the creole people of SL and it means 'king' just as it is in Igbo.

4) My colleague from SL whose name is Chinua Freeman (Freeman = Amadi in Igbo).

Any many more.

In summary, the creole people do not bear yoruba names but the okun people do. Thus, when you speak about the yorubas in SL, you refer specifically to the okun people who are often differentiated from the creole people proper because the Okuns never really left Africa whereas the ancestors of the creole people (including Igbo-descended returnees such as Simon Jonas, author of the Isoama Ibo manuscript) returned to Africa from the new world.
Mr....Stop twisting it. Obi was a name also borne in Yoruba land in the olden days. It has nothing to do with Krio. Besides,the krio I insist have different fusion. And largely of Yoruba descent. You can help yourself with a book from one of their historian.Enjoy it

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 7:16pm On May 18, 2017
Olu317:
Mr....Stop twisting it. Obi was a name borne in Yoruba land in the olden days. It has nothing to do with Krio. Besides,the krio I insist have different fusion. And largely of Yoruba descent. You can help yourself with a book from one of their historian.Enjoy it

@bold...you are very right bro. grin

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 7:17pm On May 18, 2017
O di egwu. O di egwu.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OMANBALA1: 7:41pm On May 18, 2017
Johnpaul09:

You are very ignorant and lack the knowledge of what you are talking about. I am from Idenmili just like Pazienza and I have never heard my grand mother who died at 83yrs use Bekee. My father never used it and so is my mother and the older generation. Bekee spread due to the introduction of central Igbo which was based on Imo and Abia vocabulary.
People in northern Igbo land never used Bekee until we were made to use the version of central Igbo that was based on the Imo and Abia vocabulary. And I doubt you are truly from Anocha,anybody can claim anything here...lol. The way you are bleeding over this Oyibo thing one will think your father was Oduduwa...lol

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by OMANBALA1: 7:45pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:

Believe that guy at your own peril...lol. Nobi only Anaocha ,Agukwu Nri kwanu....lol

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Olu317(m): 7:52pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

@bold...you are very right bro. grin
Yeah,So many words gave way for new ones. Yoruba original was more descriptive in nature. Now , take for instance , archaic Yoruba word for lie or denial was o sé/ sé and it is still in use in the rural area. Was word found in olden days iboland close to that? What about IHARÈ?
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by absoluteSuccess: 10:40pm On May 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I'm good bruv. Enjoying life while it lasts. Weather is getting warmer as we are embracing for summer!

Tho I kinda now prefer the colder weather. I can't stand the sun's heat again. cry undecided

LOL, that's a candid attribute of humanity.

We always yearn for what we no longer have, I mean the weather. Hope you are closer to the coast? Take time out to unwind or go fishing, I know you'll enjoy it.

My best way to relax is sightseeing, seeing the accomplishments of others in breathtaking structures and constructions often git me awed.

I went to bar beach in Lagos today after many years and I can't believe my eyes, sand filled to several kilometres than it used to be.

Granted the benefits, but how does this alteration in continental shelf affects our ecosystem?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.