Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? (14740 Views)

My Boss Wants To Date Me. What Should I Do? / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up / Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Goodplace: 9:03am On May 14, 2017
This has got me thinking deep thought of tendering my resignation letter due to this act. Our immediate boss is to go and attend to another branch and Our senior boss who is not operating from our branch said our immediate boss should hand over to a junior colleague of mine when am the most senior on ground in terms of number of years and cognate experience.

Many a time i look at recognition is not duly granted to those whom it is due, i don't know if i will call this office polities or something else. And why this has got me amazed is that this junior colleague of mine is not even close with our most senior boss who is not operating from our branch and they have not really talked one on one. i have at many occasions talked with him, he knows me one on one.

Something keeps going through my mind: Is it that my immediate boss has punctured my reputation before him that i am not aware? Or was it an oversight? i wish of tendering my resignation considering all the number of years i have served the coy. no reasonable recognition. Please advice

3 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:05am On May 14, 2017
Dicey.... In life you should learn to survive war periods as well as the peaceful seasons. This is war brewing. You should not quit... Fight!
Bear in mind that bosses are overrated most of the time.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 9:38am On May 14, 2017
I hope its not a matter of tribe or your previous performance. Or Oga's boy wahala.
You think they aren't close. What if he got the job through that same boss.. Its possible he's just pretending sef.
If that's senior Boss isn't the owner of the company, keep your cool. Pray and have faith in God. Take it as one of those things, don't revolt... I know its difficult to adjust or adapt Do your work diligently and avoid personal/physical contacts with the junior

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by olagbemi118(m): 10:00am On May 14, 2017
Good...resign & start sumtin of ur own. U will be ur own boss & a boss to others. Try it & thank me Later

10 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by lomaxx: 10:19am On May 14, 2017
Test of loyalty?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by swagguElite(m): 10:24am On May 14, 2017
Relax ... Whosoever is doing this to you! ...is trying 2 bring you down! ...trying 2 make you feel you ar nt as important as you feel!

It is a normal tin for people in your situation 2 react angrily coz it doesn't feel right giving an appointment meant for a senior to a junior! ... Everyone knows dis ...including that your junior colleague ...he is nt your enemy here ... Am veri sure he would be surprised he was given the appointment instead of you! ...try 2 put yourself in his shoes ...he is aware further appointments go to senior colleagues with more experience ...him being chosen surprises him as you do!

I remembered when my dad was in the ministry ...he was notoriously against the management. ..all his colleagues n junior colleagues loved dat about him! ... If he even said the director was stupid in his remark ...he will still say it in his front n defend it! ...there was dis confidence!

My mom always warned him but since me n my brothers always laugh whenever he repeats wat he had done in his office in a comical way! ... He continued! ...

His boss was later transfered (based on management decision nt by my dad's actions) n a new director was brought in ...very friendly boss! ...but the thing was when he was leaving the office the transferred boss met wit my dad's new boss to influence him to choose a new director whom was a junior to my dad even when my dad was the most qualified Senior colleague to be passed the Barton!

My dad heard dat his appointment was about to be given to Yinka his junior colleague thru his boss driver ... He was invited by his boss d next day for a meeting ... My dad carried yinka his junior colleague along ...N:B the meeting was not about the appointment issue ...it was just a random meeting!

My dad having discussed wit his boss ...invited yinka inside n told his boss that he has been thinking that since he would b leaving in a few months ...the ministry should b left in good hands ...in yinka's hands! ... Yinka was not aware of anything so he was quite surprised! ...including the boss! ...he was asked why?

My dad mentioned dat he has noticed yinka ...n even though his is senor he has always wanted to b like yinka ...cool headed, honest ,humble n very good at making quick decisions! ...my Dad told us yinka was blushing not knowing my dad was trying 2 pull a HOUSE OF CARDS MOVE on him!

His boss was arguing against yinka being put in charge trying 2 pretend dat he wasn't going 2 put yinka since he has been influenced! ...but my dad kept on insisting n supported his argument that youths should be encouraged to lead! ...n he later ended with stating dat Mr yinka is d best candidate here ...you're missing on a great opportunity if yu refuse to seize this one!

He stood up n left ... With yinka thanking him all day for his support! ...the next month my dad was appointed the new Director ... His boss now told ao his former boss influenced him to pick yinka over him n he was surprised dat my dad stood for yinka d next day ...he said THE MANAGEMENT DOES NOT NEED A YOUTH ...IT NEEDS SOMEONE WHO STANDS FOR THE YOUTHS ...my dad was just saying .. ehn ehn! ..pretending he knew nothing!

My dad played the mind game on them n defeated his former boss ... Got respect of his new boss n became a godfather of yinka & ors hu heard wat he did for yinka! .... He wasn't a saint but he killed three birds with a spoon n he got as much followers without slaying on Instagram! wink

I will say no more ...I hope yu pick one or two lessons! ... Pardon the long speech! ...n my typographical errors ...am not perfect ...but I will be! smiley

297 Likes 29 Shares

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by OgidiOlu3(m): 1:05pm On May 14, 2017
^^^ Wow swagguElite. Great story. Your Dad must have a PhD in Psychology. Reminds me of what Meryl Streep's character did in The Devil Wears Prada.
Op, you should learn from this story. Don't revolt, don't show anger. Just be calm and find a way to play your games well. You said you are more senior so it means there'll be things you know that this junior colleague doesn't. You can use it to your advantage. You can teach him these things and make sure your bosses are aware of it. Remember though that the junior colleague is not your enemy.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by swagguElite(m): 2:15pm On May 14, 2017
OgidiOlu3:
^^^ Wow swagguElite. Great story. Your Dad must have a PhD in Psychology. Reminds me of what Meryl Streep's character did in The Devil Wears Prada.
Op, you should learn from this story. Don't revolt, don't show anger. Just be calm and find a way to play your games well. You said you are more senior so it means there'll be things you know that this junior colleague doesn't. You can use it to your advantage. You can teach him these things and make sure your bosses are aware of it. Remember though that the junior colleague is not your enemy.
thanks bro!.. Thats exactly my point! ... The junior colleague is no enemy at all! ...don't fight! ... don't quit!

By the way you can watch HOUSE OF CARDS SERIES ... My Dad n I watch it 2geda all the time ... You will learn ao to be bold,lie,cause trouble,solve problems n get wat yu want by doing relatively Nothing! ...psychology is a great weapon

...people who understand psychology possess mastery of sarcasm n ability to drive yu crazy! ... I envy dem!

24 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 7:21am On May 15, 2017
Truth is scary.
Is it your boss fault that you are incompetent?
Stop playing the victim card and face fact.
Business is business. Even if you are a sworn enemy of your boss and you are the most competent person for the job. He will have no choice than to give you the job.

leave story about years of experience.
Your boss has enough reason to believe that Your junior is better than you.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by HalbondAdmin: 7:21am On May 15, 2017
Sorry about that.

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Victorakats(m): 7:21am On May 15, 2017
You didn't tell us the kind of company you work with and your line of products.
But this is what I think is going on, it could be that the said man is related to a top shot in your company. If that be the case, they can't give you a managerial position when their cronie is in the office.

Secondly, as much as this is a humiliating experience, I don't know if resignation is in your best interest considering that we have many job offers in our times. Again, it depends on the kind of services that you provide which also affects your employability outside the office. Please think, think, and think again!

Thirdly, if it is possible for you to build a good relationship with the current person, maybe you may earn his admiration in such a way that he can possibly influence your promotion... But that again depends on the kind of company you work with.

I know that it's a painful experience but there could be a divine twist to this story which you may never understand at the moment.

I wish you the very best!

3 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Samirana360(m): 7:21am On May 15, 2017
what kind of advice ar u lookin for...someone can nt run his company again in peace.he trust ur junior more...face ur work or resign...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by GeneralOjukwu: 7:22am On May 15, 2017
Cool down tiger...

It seems like a humiliation, but THINK before acting. Without a confirmed job with similar or better prospects, don't make the leap.

My immediate boss was practically caught profiting at expense of the organisation. He was demoted. The kind of pay he was collecting then, at age 39 (1.5 million monthly) , it's hard for him to get in another place except in Oil & Gas.

He stayed, the person who became his boss left for somewhere else. My boss took his former position...in fact he has gotten a promotion he has always dreamed of

Moral of the story....stay a while and find out why you were demoted. Maybe you lack something that might still be a disadvantage to you anywhere you go. LEARN.
While learning, be checking vacancies. No organization worldwide has YOUR interests at heart. They have THEIR own interests. When you have something better, resign with a smile, saying their company is the best in the world, BUT, you have to go because "..insert reason..."

You might still meet your Boss later on the professional ladder. Always part in good terms.

Besides....YOU internally assess yourself as more capable, but you just got an external assessment. This might sound harsh, but maybe, just perhaps, you are not the hotshot you think you are?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 7:23am On May 15, 2017
Dem don relegate you be DAT na!
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Benjom(m): 7:23am On May 15, 2017
That's an irony to the present happenings in our political environment.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by jericco1(m): 7:23am On May 15, 2017
Maybe he thinks your junior is better than you. Prove him wrong

3 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Lifestone(m): 7:23am On May 15, 2017
Dont quit, work on your output and credibility either real or percived. In my own case, I was the junior here.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by prettyomidan: 7:23am On May 15, 2017
Immediately after Church service you will just pack your Bible and be rushing home, you will not give a brother a chance to talk to you, after you will be praying to marry in December, shebi it's Angel Gabriel that will come and woo you in the spirit? i wonder what you kept in that your house. A brother will be eying you at church, hoping for an opportunity to come over and introduce himself, but before they share the grace in fellowship fuuuuuuuuumm you have disappear with your high heels, stop behaving like that aunty, it's not good oo, that is one of the evidence of delay .
Atleast stay a while after service, say your thanksgiving prayer silently and sit down small, wave and smile at the folks you know and exchange hellos, abi how does it use to do you? You think all those fine suits and sleek texudo we use to wear in the Lord don't have purpose?
, you cannot even wait small and notice our new shoe, mtcheeeww, every time we try to get close you'll be forming serious sister and be scaring somebori, as if it's only you the preaching use to touch. If you like run home this sunday, don't wait let somebody see chance and talk to you...
*ConfessionsOfAGoodMan*...
#Copied

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Nackzy: 7:24am On May 15, 2017
Brother man don't let it bother you... Show them ur smarter perform ur usual duties..... They are tempting you... Wateva they are doing pretend ur not seeing it

1 Like

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Padiga: 7:24am On May 15, 2017
Maybe, it is just that you are not as efficient as your junior officer.

I once inherited a Job not meant for my level because of the attitude of my senior.

7 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by dacovajnr: 7:24am On May 15, 2017
It's not by how far but how well.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by danduj(m): 7:25am On May 15, 2017
Boss,with the high rate of unemployment, u still want to tender resignation? grin issokay
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Youngzedd(m): 7:26am On May 15, 2017
Oya resign lets see who hears the sound.

Man, it's not about how long you have being there, it's the impact you have made.

Maybe your junior colleague performs better than you, or it may be politics.

It's not your company, it's either you stay there or increase the labour market by 1
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by baby124: 7:27am On May 15, 2017
Don't leave your job till you find something good. There are a few things involved, your boss trusts the junior colleague for a reason. Investigate why. There may be some shady business going on. That sort of information can help you. It could also be with all your experience, the junior colleague is a better employee than you, sadly. Don't take it to heart.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Pavore9: 7:31am On May 15, 2017
swagguElite:
thanks bro!.. Thats exactly my point! ... The junior colleague is no enemy at all! ...don't fight! ... don't quit!

By the way you can watch HOUSE OF CARDS SERIES ... My Dad n I watch it 2geda all the time ... You will learn ao to be bold,lie,cause trouble,solve problems n get wat yu want by doing relatively Nothing! ...psychology is a great weapon

...people who understand psychology possess mastery of sarcasm n ability to drive yu crazy! ... I envy dem!

Truth, a mastering of Psychology is important!

2 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by sakaba(m): 7:33am On May 15, 2017
Prolly an oversight or not....don't let ur desire for recognizion more importantly emotions be basis for decisions
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by sameehunter11: 7:34am On May 15, 2017
Not sure what kind of organisation you work in...unfortunately, leadership is not always decided by years of experience in an organisation (rightly so). That junior guy might be on a different career path and he is being groomed for a management position based on his attributes. I'll advice you don't take this personally, it might not have been done as slight to you.
Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by Afonjashapmouth: 7:35am On May 15, 2017
Two things involved

1. You might be under delivering and wants to be challenged by making someone under you perform your task so as to open your eyes to your negligence and also tell you nobody is not indisposable

2. You would have been sacked or queried if it was an err case but.since its a case of "sit and watch em do it" your tolerance or let me say "team work" spirit might also be on the testing ground right now. What if you are due for a promotion and someone due for your position is being groomed right now and alongside your patience is being tested too?

Advice: Do not form alliance, panic or feel threatened instead pick no fight and work harder. NOTE: do not try to outshine the juniors or go hard trying to impress either your boss or them. Just challenge yourself mentally and be more productive. With that someone will say somthing even when u didnt ask any question.

My opinion though.

3 Likes

Re: My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? by DonCortino: 7:35am On May 15, 2017
It means u are just a coordinator! cheesy

On a serious note, was ur salary slashed? Or where u deprived of any benefits? My guy cool down and continue with ur job jare. And dont go beefing on ur junior colleague.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. / Top 8 Skills You Need To Land Your Dream Job / Nigerian Army Shocks Court, Says Officers Sacked For Not ‘renewing Appointments’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.