Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,981 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

Water Scarcity Hits Calabar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Water Scarcity Hits Calabar (17626 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Hits Katsina Borders, Litre Goes For N250 / Fuel Scarcity Hits Ogun, Lagos, Adamawa Borders, Petrol Sells For N600 Per Litre / Residents Groan As Water Scarcity Persists In States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Islie: 8:47am On May 16, 2017
• Residents buy sachet water to bathe, cook

From Judex Okoro, Calabar

Calabar residents now resort to sachet water for bathing and cooking, following acute shortage of drinking water.

For over three months, Cross River State Water Board has not pumped water to customers, making life uncomfortable for consumers in the metropolis.

Dailu Sun gathered that, even before the current scarcity, water pumped to houses and business premises were not treated.

Major streets affected include Ekpo Abasi, Mayne Avenue, Inyamg, Yellow Duke, Ette Agbor, Satellite Town, Ediba, 8 Miles, Calabar South, Federal Housing, Aka-Ifa, State Housing, Marian and 8 Miles.

As alternative, consumers now patronise sachet water dealers and boreholes, leading to increase in demand of sachet water in the metropolis.

One resident, Mrs Eme Offiong of Enymaba Street, Calabar South, said for over one year, the Water Board has not supplied water to home, and confirmed that they now resort to buying bags of sachet water.

“We are in hell around Old Calabar of Nkwa, Enyamba and Anderson Streets as we have not tasted potable water from the Water Board for over one year. Before now, we used to have uninterrupted supply.

“For my family to survive, we buy at least seven bags of sachet water a day, to cook and bathe. Each bag costs N150 just as the Mai ruwa who supply a barrow of water containing 10 gallons of 10 litres each at N500.”

Another resident, Mr. Richard Okon of Ekpo Abasi axis, added: “We have not had water from Cross River State Water Board Limited for months running and they are still bringing bills for us to pay.

“I buy at least four bags of sachet water everyday, to bathe while I buy six bags , at weekends for cooking.
“I can tell you that this scarcity of water has made life unbearable for Calabar residents and I am even thinking of going back to my village where we have stream.”

In his reaction, Managing Director of Cross River State Water Board Limited, Prof. Godwin Igile, said: “Yes, it is true there is no water in Calabar metropolis.

“This is because we are carrying out repairs of our facilities. Besides, they have vandalised and stolen our equipment, making it difficult for us to operate at optimum capacity.

“For a very long time now, we have not done maintenance, so, we decided to carry it out and we don’t know when it will be completed so, we don’t know when we will start pumping water for residents.

“I took over in December 2015 and we had water all through last year. I plead with consumers to bear with us while we are trying to give them potable water.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/water-scarcity-hits-calabar/

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by crackerspub: 8:50am On May 16, 2017
Pictures oh

8 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Nobody: 8:52am On May 16, 2017
I trust my people dem go inflate sachet water to #50.

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by alienvirus: 8:56am On May 16, 2017
Nobody get borehole for the streets?

14 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by josephine123: 9:26am On May 16, 2017
hmmm.... whats BEN doing in dat state sef ??

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by RichYoungNigga: 11:18am On May 16, 2017

Meanwhile, Buhari is London

To be a zombie is not a days job

Your APC politicians are in their mansions with 20 security men, cooks and good food

I wish Buhari will rule Nigeria for 80 more years

Una never see anything

We never suffered when Goodluck Jonathan was the president

Enojoy the change you voted for

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by stefanweeks: 11:18am On May 16, 2017
ijoba
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by kinngie(m): 11:18am On May 16, 2017
I no want this kind rough play o
See me wey wan go serve for Cross River

₦19,800 go finish for water be that naa. embarassed

21 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by chynie: 11:18am On May 16, 2017
which one be water scarcity again
let ppl that have boleholes pump water joor cheesy

abi na only water board is licenced to pump water in the city

9 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by teelaw4life(m): 11:18am On May 16, 2017
It's not a new thing. But do people still rely on government water? Only thing the populace really depend on the government for are the refined products of crude oil and that's because we can't refine it ourselves. Nigerian govt is as useful to the Nigerian people as unripe plantain is to a lion.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by momodub: 11:18am On May 16, 2017
Wahala
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by onosprince(m): 11:19am On May 16, 2017
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by lekkie073(m): 11:19am On May 16, 2017
don't they have boreholes at their homes?

5 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by SalamRushdie: 11:19am On May 16, 2017
There has always been water scarcity in every Nigerian state

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by ztar(m): 11:19am On May 16, 2017
thats what you get when you depend on government for your survival...
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by ODUBEZE: 11:20am On May 16, 2017
In this global world
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Fozi(m): 11:20am On May 16, 2017
But na so e been done dey dey calabar people no like to do borehole for their compound so them never see something

4 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:20am On May 16, 2017
Nothing wey person no go he hear for this Con3
Islie:

• Residents buy sachet water to bathe, cook

http://sunnewsonline.com/water-scarcity-hits-calabar/

“For a very long time now, we have not done maintenance, so, we decided to carry it out and we don’t know when it will be completed so, we don’t know when we will start pumping water for residents.

Is it my eyes Am I the only one reading this angry

What will it take to fix this mess undecided saying that you don't know when the people will have access to water again to me it's nothing but FAILURE

If it is in a civilized world, the government will be impeached by now!

What nonsense undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by anibi9674: 11:21am On May 16, 2017
cross river lacking water. Then what river are they crossing.

8 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by D2DK(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2017
Ayé lè íko sí o
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Benekruku(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2017
Dangote should just kukuma buy the state

Cross-River would be better managed under The Dangote Group!

1 Like

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Evergreen4(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2017
Do water boards still exist ?

Don't they have borehole in their houses

7 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by fortunekaura(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2017
water scarcity for rainy season, three months no water from water board.. them do wuna for village ne?

2 Likes

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by wilcox(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2017
This is what you get for relying on government to do that which there are supposed to do.
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by wellmax(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2017
alienvirus:
Nobody get borehole for the streets?
I wonder oo
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by misterh(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2017
Calabar as a city depends solely on water from the Water Board. This is quite unlike some other parts of Nigeria especially Lagos and environs where boreholes and wells are normal sights.

The comments of the Director isn't alright. What measures were put in place to mitigate the scarcity that was certain to ensue before they embarked on the repair project?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by deflover(m): 11:23am On May 16, 2017
SalamRushdie:
There has always been water scarcity in every Nigerian state

Maybe where u live not where I know
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by Amberon: 11:23am On May 16, 2017
What?
Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by misterh(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2017
Evergreen4:
Do water boards still exist ?
In Calabar, yes. I served in Calabar in 2014 and the Water Board was effective then. Only a few people had boreholes then because there was little need for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Water Scarcity Hits Calabar by sathel(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2017
dead

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mother Of Slain Chiadika Writes A Petition To Senate / ACN Lawmakers Punish Bamidele For Nursing Governorship Ambition / PDP In Jigawa Expels Deputy Governor Over Sabotage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.