Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars (5953 Views)

Emeka Ike Releases List Of Nollywood Producers Who Sleep With Actresses. / Unbelievable - Emeka Ike Names 5 Nollywood Producers Who Sleep With Actresses / See The Extent Nigerian Nollywood Producers Go Just To Sell Their Movies (18+pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by r231(m): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2010
Ever wondered why some Nigerian producers make use of Ghanaian stars in most of Nollywood movies even when some of them appear to be unsuitable for the roles they are playing? Showbiz Now can authoritatively reveal that N1 million is in the heart of the matter. Or as one actor put it, our producers have sold their souls for a N1million .

Investigation reveals that Nollywood producers have been given an order by Ghanaian marketers that for them (Ghanaian marketers) to market Nollywood movies in Ghana , Ghollygold ( Ghana film industry) stars must feature in them whether they fit the bill or not.

One particular marketer who attested to this is Abdusallam, Ghana’s most prominent movie marketer. Abdusallam, we learnt tells Nollywood producers to use Ghanaians and get a N1 million market order from him. He was said to have paid some producers even before they finish shooting sometimes.

So, for this N1 million Greek gift, our Nollywood producers are falling head over heels to use Ghanaian stars in their movies whether they fit the role or not. And to make matters worse, some of these Ghanaian stars have not been able to justify the trust reposed in them. Worse still, Nollywood stars have to wait of their Ghollywood counterparts in some instances. We learnt that Jackie Appiah kept a whole crew waiting to go and shoot a Glo commercial.

The crew complained but Jackie came back and explained that she already gave the producer a condition that for her to act she must leave for the Glo advert anytime she wanted to. That is a classic example of how producers now have to literarily eat out of the hands of the Ghollygold stars.

But one producer who does not see anything wrong in the N1 million Greek gift is Ikechukwu Onyeka. He said the Ghanaian actors are patriotic. ‘I don’t see anything wrong in the arrangement; it is a sign of patriotism. This shows that we are doing something wrong. If Ghana which has a population of about 24 million can call our bluff that means our house is not in order. We ought to be the biggest movie market in Africa but here we are at the mercy of Ghanaians. Let me shock you, Ghanaian movies now sell more than Nollywood movies in America . That shows that we are losing ground. .
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by azeeza(f): 8:56am On Jan 13, 2010
nigeria jagajaga, everi scatter scatter cry
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 11:20am On Jan 13, 2010
They are paying us to use their actors, and the films still have a majority Nigerian cast, sorry, but that is no shame. I dont know why somebody woulld see GH movies outselling Nigerian ones in US as some kind of leveller, just because its the States, Nigerian movies are more popular and has been evidenced by it being second largest in the world, if Ghana had overtaken us, why arent they even in the top five? When I went to Ghana, it was Nigerian films they showed on their TV all day, not even their own except a few. All this is unecessary emotion over nothing.

If you notice, GH actors are being ABSORBED into Nollywood, they may think they are being smart, and they are, but they dont even realise what is happening to their industry in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Princek12(m): 1:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
Can people reason here? The Nigerian movie industry benefits when Ghanaian actors play in Nollywood movies, particularly when Ghanaian producers pay Nollywood producers to feature Ghanaian actors in Nollywood movies. The following reasons support my theory. First, in addition to monetary benefits, that is when Ghanaian distributors supposedly pay Nollywood producers N1 million to feature Ghanaian actors, featuring Ghanaian actors exposes Nollywood movies to an entirely new market; it shows that the Nigerian movie industry is bigger than the Ghanaian movie industry, for their actors have to depend on our industry and "pay to play" in order to be featured in the Nigerian industry; the Nollywood brand still supplants the Ghanaian brand in such movies, since the film features more Nollywood actors than Ghanaian actors; and many more. 

@poster: You may want to adduce some credible evidence in support of your statement that Ghollygold movies are outselling Nollywood movies in the USA. It sounds highly improbable that Ghollygold movies are outselling Nollywood movies, particularly when Ghanaian actors are barely known compared to their Nollywood counterparts and Nigerians substantially outnumber Ghanaians, both in the USA and Africa. My only problem is that Nigerian producers are not exercising prudently their leverage against these so called Ghanaian producers. If your product is in high demand, you don't have to succumb to the demands of some Ghanaian distributor--paying you N1 million and instructing you to use Ghanaian actors-- as a precondition to marketing your products. But, again, maybe that is standard industry practice and the Ghanaian distributor may have customers who only buy movies that feature Ghanaian actors, and the Ghanaian producers are doing merely what they have to do . 

Overall, I don't think the practice poses any harm to the Nollywood industry, since featuring certain actors is a marketing strategy of which it is to reach the fans of that actor, which, as in here, would be fans who mostly watch movies that feature Ghanaian actors.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Olong(m): 2:55pm On Jan 13, 2010
[color=#990000]i'm amazed that peeps could sit and these brain-dulling squeak box called nollywood!i ceased watching a long time ago,,,,had never missed them any! angry angry angry[/color]
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Olong(m): 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2010
nigeria should even be happy someone is taking their senseless movies off the shelf!
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Ben13: 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2010
One particular marketer who attested to this is Abdusallam, Ghana’s most prominent movie marketer. Abdusallam, we learnt tells Nollywood producers to use Ghanaians and get a N1 million market order from him. He was said to have paid some producers even before they finish shooting sometimes.

Money rules. . .
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by THEAMAKA(f): 3:46pm On Jan 13, 2010
i still have some theories about why they use ghanaian actors but i will come and comment on that later. . .
i don't buy it, cause there is no credible source.
anyway ghanaian movies are so annoying,no culture,  washed out, and fake.
if its nigerian movies now characters can have names like chioma, emeka, ect ect (most of the time) but in gollywood ive never heard of one name that is ghanaian all these english names and crap. like someone else pointed out in another thread, you almost never see them eating traditional food, the accents are atrocious, that industry is biased cause almost everyone looks like van and nadia, where are the more jackie look-a-likes?  have you ever watched their "royal" movies?? ARG!!! it seems so damn fake!! i dont understand this cause ghana has culture to work with to make their movies more realistic. is it just me or does everything seem like some fake movie ripped out of a wanna be "Coming To America" or something. or is that how their culture works? too fake, they're crap.
but there is no credible source so this is all bull.

but at the end of the day you have ghanaians running into our movies so its only benefiting us, not them
  tongue
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2010
lol, The Amaka, didn't you know that ALL Ghanaian royalty had petals thrown at their feet. Who says its unrealistic, lol? I actually prefer the GH movies with their more unknown actors,  they are quite realistic.

I dont see how Gollywood is supposedly takeing over Nollywood on the back of five actors. There is only Van, Jackie, Majid, Yvonne and Nadia. I tell you they are becoming a part of Nollywood, just like British actors become a part of Hollywood. it benefits both countries, especially Nigeria.

If you mention Ghollywood to someone, they probably wont know what you are refering to.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by r231(m): 4:01pm On Jan 13, 2010
It?s true. Ghana movies are preferred over Nollywood mess. And whose fault is that? If Nollywood gives up on getting their act together and instead governs the wardrobe of actors, it is bound to lose something somewhere. Nollywood sells anything irrespective of the myriad of flaws. The sound is sinful. The picture is horrendous. The lighting is atrocious. The directing and editing are repulsive. The story lines are reprehensible. It would take forever to elaborate on these, but I trust you get the point. The million Naira flap is a smokescreen. Ghana does not give US such conditions, yet Hollywood movies are top sale in Ghana. Same goes for other movie capitals. This condition can only be given to Nollywood because they know that Nollywood peddles inferior commodity. If Nollywood products were top notch, the world would break down door to get it. Ghana would pay us to use their actors. Even when the authorities ban them, the citizenry would smuggle then in.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jan 13, 2010
GhollyGold? LOL
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 4:07pm On Jan 13, 2010
Even in Ghana, Nigerian movies are preferred. It was only the other day that Genevieve Nnaji was mentioned on Oprah (a US talk show) because of her popularity. If Ghollywood is preferred, it would have been Jackie Appiah or Van Vicker.

More people picking up a film to see Van's face does not equal preference over nollywood. He is more of a Nollywood actor nowadays anyway.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by THEAMAKA(f): 4:08pm On Jan 13, 2010
londoner:

lol, The Amaka, didn't you know that ALL Ghanaian royalty had petals thrown at their feet. Who says its unrealistic, lol? I actually prefer the GH movies with their more unknown actors,  they are quite realistic.
hmmm interesting but even with that everything seems so fake, its a headache. and then you see the same 7 actors, ALL THE TIME!! but they do "westernize" their movies more, i guess. so maybe that makes it more appealing to watch? or the fact that all their actors look "different" or what not. cause i don't see where the competition is. i was thinking about that, trying to watch more ghollywood movies with non-known actors.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 4:12pm On Jan 13, 2010
@The Amaka, I was being sarcastic. They just rip straight from "coming to America", lol

There is no competition really. Nollywood rules! I agree we need to improve on things like lighting, sound, editing and WARDROBE, but  I find most GH films slow and boring apart from a few. If they are prefered by some in the US its probably because they deliberately westernise their stars and their storylines. I cant stand that about GH movies, its as if they are ashamed to show their culture/language/food/heritage.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Princek12(m): 5:52pm On Jan 13, 2010
THE AMAKA:

i still have some theories about why they use ghanaian actors but i will come and comment on that later. . .
i don't buy it, cause there is no credible source.
anyway ghanaian movies are so annoying,no culture,  washed out, and fake.
if its nigerian movies now characters can have names like chioma, emeka, ect ect (most of the time) but in gollywood ive never heard of one name that is ghanaian all these english names and crap. like someone else pointed out in another thread, you almost never see them eating traditional food, the accents are atrocious, that industry is biased cause almost everyone looks like van and nadia, where are the more jackie look-a-likes?  have you ever watched their "royal" movies?? ARG!!! it seems so damn fake!! i dont understand this cause ghana has culture to work with to make their movies more realistic. is it just me or does everything seem like some fake movie ripped out of a wanna be "Coming To America" or something. or is that how their culture works? too fake, they're crap.
but there is no credible source so this is all bull.

but at the end of the day you have ghanaians running into our movies so its only benefiting us, not them
  tongue

I concur. Their music are also fake. They try a little too hard to be westernized, not knowing that identity and fidelity to one's culture inherently reflects in the movies they make, which will help sell the movies. I have tried but can't really watch Ghanaian movies. It is reminiscent of someone with a thick village accent trying to speak with a foreign, say, American accent.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Princek12(m): 5:57pm On Jan 13, 2010
r231:

It?s true. Ghana movies are preferred over Nollywood mess. And whose fault is that? If Nollywood gives up on getting their act together and instead governs the wardrobe of actors, it is bound to lose something somewhere. Nollywood sells anything irrespective of the myriad of flaws. The sound is sinful. The picture is horrendous. The lighting is atrocious. The directing and editing are repulsive. The story lines are reprehensible. It would take forever to elaborate on these, but I trust you get the point. The million Naira flap is a smokescreen. Ghana does not give US such conditions, yet Hollywood movies are top sale in Ghana. Same goes for other movie capitals. This condition can only be given to Nollywood because they know that Nollywood peddles inferior commodity. If Nollywood products were top notch, the world would break down door to get it. Ghana would pay us to use their actors. Even when the authorities ban them, the citizenry would smuggle then in.

With your bias, unsupported statements, it is evident you are Ghanaian, and your statements have overtones of envy. Please adduce some credible evidence to support your jagbajantis (those of you who know this word know what i'am talking about) assertions. If Ghollygold is supposedly that successful, why do all your Ghanaian actors run to Nollywood just to make a buck. Moreso, it should be a shame on your Ghollygold industry if you have to pay to feature a Ghanaian actor. Who else but Ghanains will pay producers just to have their actors featured in their movies. Shouldn't it be the other way around.

You have posted a story based on your imagination and delusion, like people on this website are some idiots. Show some mutha f'ing evidence. Sharap, Abeg.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 6:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
@"Ghollygold", what the heck is that? Never heard it called that before.

No need to fight over this or attack anyone though.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 13, 2010
I totally agree with the whole 'try too hard to be westernized' thing about Ghana but let's not get too overboard with the critisisms, many Nigerians are also guilty of that very crime, if not even worse sometimes, and not neccesarily in our film industry, look at our music cheesy

Ok, another LOL @ GhollyGold

Oh they kill me cheesy
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
I thought it was more about using nollywood actors to sell their movies. For instance Jim Iyke staring in a Ghanian movie in order for people to buy it. How many people know Ghana actors? It's just on NL I started knowing who they were.

Besides both nollywood and Ghollywood produce crappy movies.  grin Both of them need to go to the drawing table. This is 2010.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 13, 2010
I have often wonder myself why is Van Vicker used in so many Nigerian movies
no wonder, mind u I have no hatred for Van infact i love him me think he's an absolutely
smashing young man, but he has no acting talent. at least Majid Micheal does justice to
them if not I don't think I would have even bother watching Ghanaian movies
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 6:26pm On Jan 13, 2010
@Ibkaye, you are right, some Nigerian actors/actresses use fake accents etc, the very ones who people reject because of it. Someone like Stephanie Okereke is disliked for that fact, she can never be ranked with people like Gene or Omo t, unless she loses the fake accent. Using a fake accent in Ghollywood is an asset rather than a liability, thats the difference. ALL their top actors do it.

In the music, yes some use fake accents but none of the top or most successful groups/artists do, except maybe M.I and his isn't so bait. Being real is a key to success in Nigerian entertainment.
Ghanaian musicians tend not to put on fake accents except a few (like Samini) , they speak their language mostly, which I really enjoy.

@Rokiatu, Van's manager is Nigerian. Smart move by him, even he knows where its at, lol
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by SisiKill1: 8:18pm On Jan 13, 2010
The real reason is that the Naija Actors are getting too big for their mediocre britches.

Why pay someone millions of naira for an awful performance when you can pay someone else thousands for the same performance?

And the cherry on the cake. . .you get a standing order for your craptastic movies.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by r231(m): 8:33pm On Jan 13, 2010
Princek12:

With your bias, unsupported statements, it is evident you are Ghanaian, and your statements have overtones of envy. Please adduce some credible evidence to support your jagbajantis (those of you who know this word know what i'am talking about) assertions. If Ghollygold is supposedly that successful, why do all your Ghanaian actors run to Nollywood just to make a buck. Moreso, it should be a shame on your Ghollygold industry if you have to pay to feature a Ghanaian actor. Who else but Ghanains will pay producers just to have their actors featured in their movies. Shouldn't it be the other way around.

You have posted a story based on your imagination and delusion, like people on this website are some idiots. Show some mutha f'ing evidence. Sharap, Abeg.

bros kool dwn now by d way i be 9ja o abeg
pls no abuse me o jus cus we have diff opinion we r all grown adults abeg ma bi nu if i offend you so gbo jo grin grin
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 9:06pm On Jan 13, 2010
@ Sisikill, your point would be valid if these Ghanaian actors could actually act.

Sorry, but you only need see Van act with Gen to see he is waaay outclassed in the acting department and its actually hype about his looks really which sells his movies.

Sorry, thats the truth. This hype will end also. Nigerians are using these cross over actors to have a share in both markets, end of.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
londoner:

@ Sisikill, your point would be valid if these Ghanaian actors could actually act.

Sorry, but you only need see Van act with Gen to see he is waaay outclassed in the acting department and its actually hype about his looks really which sells his movies.

Sorry, thats the truth. This hype will end also. Nigerians are using these cross over actors to have a share in both markets, end of.

hah! Here i was thinking i was the only one who thought this dude couldnt act to save his life. I deliberately go out of my way to avoid movies where Ghanaians act because of how poor the movie ends up.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by bawomolo(m): 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
ghana hasn't produced any decent piece of cinema since inspector bediako
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 9:24pm On Jan 13, 2010
davidylan:

hah! Here i was thinking i was the only one who thought this dude couldnt act to save his life. I deliberately go out of my way to avoid movies where Ghanaians act because of how poor the movie ends up.

Look, I watch his movies because he is fine, there I said it. If a GH movie is on I will watch it, but I am hardly entertained by them. You can be sitting for half and hour, go and make tea and even become engrossed in convo with another person in the room, forgetting you are supposed to be watching a movie. Even then, the storyline has not moved an inch.

Even if a Naija movie is crap, there will be a character that will entertain or grip you at least, even if its the village drunkard.  GH actors are so-so, its the unknown ones which are better I think.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by rasputinn(m): 10:14pm On Jan 13, 2010
Nollywood,Ghollywood,kakawood,woowoowood,afriwood,everywood haba,what's up with all these stupid imitations,I know a place called Hollywood in California,but as well I'm familiar with Naija,I'm yet to know of a place called Nollywood
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by londoner: 10:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
I dont think there is a place called Bollywood in India either.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by mamagee3(f): 10:32pm On Jan 13, 2010
Ghanian actors and actresses are just for Eye-Candy
Nigerian actors and actresses are the real actors
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by baeyy(m): 10:36pm On Jan 13, 2010
To be truthful am tired of seeing ghanaian actors in our movies with their fakeness and attitude, you can imagine that yvone girl saying that Nollywood and Gollywood is on the same level, just that Nigeria has a bigger market, and that why they seek after gollywood actors and that similar to what Jackie said to. They better be paying taxes, truthfully the only one i think is managable is Majid thats all.
Re: Revealed! Real Reason Nollywood Producers Use Ghanaian Stars by ndgfx(m): 10:41pm On Jan 13, 2010
@ mama-gee
true-word!!!

Time to bring out them "Ghana must go" bags again. Let's remind them how it's color rilly looks like.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fans Mob Burna Boy's Girlfriend As She Lands Nigeria (Photos) / Nominees For Nairaland Awards 2008! / Picture Of Toke Makinwa Back In Her University Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.