Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Microsoft Windows Vista Launched - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Windows Vista Launched (4439 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 2:54pm On Feb 05, 2007
Gamine:

i'll tell u smthing.

i heard this from a staunch Windows groupie

"What, years of bugging from Mac-using friends couldnt do to convert me,
Windows Vista has done in its launch, i thereby pledge my allegiance to Mac"

So u see, Vista is a poor copy of the Mac OS
i have read so much on this and i will get the links to the sites that have this debate on
later!
grin

Perhaps your 'windows groupie' friend could explain why he could make a decision on an OS he hasn't even used.
and besides, the info from vista adopters is pretty good!

But don't let me discourage you! Buy a Mac if
1) You don't want 90% of your windows apps to work.
2) you have no interest in playing latest games and Direct X 10 graphics dont catch your fancy
3) You decide all there is in a computer is pretty graphics
4) You just can't be arsed* to install regular patches and an antivirus in your windows PC
5) You decide to go legit, buying a meagre selection of software and turning your back on the rich variety of N200 software in otigba
6) you love overpriced, midlevel hardware!
7) you like waiting 7 months for a 'Mac OS version' of commonly available windows software.

For me, running Mac OSX is out of the question. I love the pretty graphics but when i saw Halo: combat evolved for mac being touted as a new game (Nov 2006, Apple Shop, UK) i know it's pretty shyte for gaming!

As for those talking about windows ripping Mac off, Wikipedia says The first OS with a GUI (with Icons) was the Xerox PARC, which APPLE itself is considered to have ripped off. Check the first few posts in this thread for the wikipedia link!

Seriously, have you seen the Apple ads? They aren't saying , Buy Mac OSx, they are saying "Buy a Mac". considerring the fact that MacOSX is now running on Intel X86 chips, why not tout the OS itself, allowing pc users to buy an install? why sell them with the Mac system which is significantly overpriced (a good $400 in som cases higher than equivalent windows PC?)

At a point, you just stop ogling the pretty graphics and look at what's on offer.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 12:27pm On Feb 06, 2007
@ texazzpete,

Nice talk.

For those of you still believing Mac is better than Pc , am kind of sorry for you guys. I saw a video yesterday explaining all the cool features that vista has; now you can take the hard-drive you installed vista on to another and still be able to access your vista without any problem. For those that undserstand what i mean, you know how cool that is wink. It's also going to support IPv6(internet protocol version 6), Mac will still be running IPv4. They are so many nice stuff included that will make you forget Mac. Beside, why should i buy Mac when i can't play most of the nice games out there. Mac is suppose to be for old people like my grandfather grin

So u see, Vista is a poor copy of the Mac OS
i have read so much on this and i will get the links to the sites that have this debate on
later!
Grin

Naw, Vista is an upgraded copy of Mac OS smiley. CASE CLOSED
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by alexis(m): 10:28pm On Feb 06, 2007
Every time we have threads about one topic, we drift off to another. This is a simple thread about Vista been launched and here you have hardcore windows followers saying all kind of terrible things against MAC.

We tested Vista at school - it was slow and sluggish because we were using a P3 733mhz and 256 RAM, step 1 - You need a super machine to run Vista.

Step 2 - no matter how much you argue it, vista stole a lot of features from the MAC, the dock pane, apple widgets, time machine stolen from leopard that hasn't been publicly released, I was astonish how good windows repolished OS X and gave it a new name.

I can go on and on but hey, if it works for you, use it.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 9:02am On Feb 07, 2007
alexis:

Every time we have threads about one topic, we drift off to another. This is a simple thread about Vista been launched and here you have hardcore windows followers saying all kind of terrible things against MAC.

We tested Vista at school - it was slow and sluggish because we were using a P3 733mhz and 256 RAM, step 1 - You need a super machine to run Vista.

Step 2 - no matter how much you argue it, vista stole a lot of features from the MAC, the dock pane, apple widgets, time machine stolen from leopard that hasn't been publicly released, I was astonish how good windows repolished OS X and gave it a new name.

Why would you test vista on a p3 733Mhz system? Why? Don't the words 'minimum requirement' on the microsoft homepage and the vista box mean anything to you?
That's slightly less dense than testing Windows XP on a Pentium 1 computer.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by wormedup(m): 10:01am On Feb 07, 2007
alexis:

lol grin

just click on this link they are serious cool
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by LongOne1(m): 10:51am On Feb 07, 2007
Yep so how does one upgrade to the new windows vista, is it free or you pay for it?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 3:29pm On Feb 07, 2007
Mac is suppose to be for old people like my grandfather

then it would prove ur grandaddy is far smarter than u cheesy

upgraded version tongue yeah right!!!
anyways Mac OSx Leopard will hit hit Vista so hard

Lets just enjoy the OS's we love , u hear
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 4:28pm On Feb 07, 2007
Gamine:

then it would prove your grandaddy is far smarter than u cheesy

upgraded version tongue yeah right!!!
anyways Mac OSx Leopard will hit hit Vista so hard

Lets just enjoy the OS's we love , u hear

at the moment, you cqant just buy mac osx and install on your pc. it comes with Mac hardware only. So yes, even if Osx betters windows, there wont be any serious loss in market share for windows
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 5:53pm On Feb 07, 2007
@gamine leopard?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 5:54pm On Feb 07, 2007
@gamine leopard?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 6:00pm On Feb 07, 2007
@Anusule, yes

@Texazzpete, Sry i cant accept ur proposal (cnt marry ur windows-loving ass) cry
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by TerraCotta(m): 4:48am On Feb 08, 2007
I just saw a hilarious new Apple ad that reminded me of this thread. Click to see it if you've got Quicktime installed:

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-security_480x376.mov
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by sisisisi(f): 9:06am On Feb 08, 2007
I read a response from yahoo tech that microsoft actually owns 47% of Apple.If that is true,then there is absolutely no copying from microsoft.They are simply doing bizness.Throwing slangs and calling vista "ye ye" will not change a thing.They own the market,most of it,that is. So if you can't beat them,join them.The truth is,every industry has its problems.It's not like Mac and others are problem free.It's not also like they are not worth the money.With time,they will repair all or most of the bugs and vista will be great.Give it time, it always works cool cool cool
The bottom line is,there is freedom of choice.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2007
then it would prove your grandaddy is far smarter than u  

embarassed Well if you say so. But Mac is also for people that can easily be decieved by what they see; i mean, you just saw the 'wonderful design'  and fell  tongue

The most important thing is that you happy with whatever OS you use. PEACE(no beefs)
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 4:43pm On Feb 08, 2007
I read a response from yahoo tech that microsoft actually owns 47% of Apple

If the information is true, that means Mac is that poor they had  to sell part of apple(to a rival!) to stay live. No wonder they aren't making it in the market. Apple just close down honourablly before something ulgy happens.  grin

Ok, enough of the Mac-Pc war, lets get back to the root of the thread. So what is going on with vista(the ultimate version); is it availiable in comp village yet?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by marhoatumu(m): 4:57pm On Feb 08, 2007
@zpixel

i'm guessing our boys should have it sometime around easter, then we will see what this whole vista noise is all about.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 7:57pm On Feb 08, 2007
, and im currently workin gon installing macosx tiger on my standard sony vaio laptop. W00t!!!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by hayprof(m): 8:10pm On Feb 08, 2007
marhoatumu:

@zpixel

i'm guessing our boys should have it sometime around easter, then we will see what this whole vista noise is all about.

Its Out Already In comp Village
-I'm on it right now cool
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 8:56pm On Feb 08, 2007
and im currently workin gon installing macosx tiger on my standard sony vaio laptop. W00t!!!
this is one smart guy wink grin
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by sbucareer(f): 10:28am On Feb 09, 2007

Someone above rightly mentioned Xerox as the original inventor of GUI, spot on and thanks for sharing that. Well the first people that spend millions of dollar researching about pointers i.e Mouse and GUI were Xerox.

Because Microsoft has just closed a deal with IBM to provide the code base for both PC-DOS and MS-DOS and both company working together to improve the codebase (Early version of DOS)

Xerox saw Microsoft as a viable company to work with. Since Xerox will like its hardware to be PC/MS-DOS compatible, Xerox offered Mr Gates all their hard work research about their GUI so that MS will make its new Window 95 Xerox compatible.

Moreover, Vista is NEVER a copy or imitation of Mac OS. I don't know where you people get the idea. Look and feel does not mean the same. For a start the filing system is different. The partition and kernel command interpreter are totally different.

MS was responding to 64-bit CPU and motherboard, particularly the server side and desktop. Vista was the vision AMD saw about five years ago when they ventured into 64 bits CPU for serious gamers and application like genome and large hungry database application that sits on the ALU cache (L1) and the invention of Core 2 Duo from Intel.

The other reason is financial dominance within software industry. Mac OS is best suited for graphic application and most Mac games, period. But most games are written for Direct X because common sense shows that there are more PC user to Mac.

Mac making their chips to work with x86 architecture is a direct evidence to compete with MS on the game platform.

Finally, Vista is here to stay and believe it or not sooner or later you will be force to upgrade because MS will stop all support on XP and 2003 OS that include patches and compatible driver for newer hardware’s.

So, start to save for your Vista upgrade.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2007
@ marhoatumu,

What version?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by naijafan(m): 6:42am On Feb 10, 2007
@sbucareer.
that was a really nice talk. any follower of microsoft trends would realize that they've been increasingly moving towards more aethestically appealing interfaces just as Windows ME was over Windows 2000, and WinXP was over WinME. Now 5 years after XP and you dont expect them to come up with something thrilling? No copycats in here. maybe people should have a look at their new line of services called Windows Live. You'd notice that these applications (both web and desk-based) are not only just more visually appealing but more feature packed.

@gamine.
the minimum requirements for vista is 512MB, except for some features in the 'ultimate' edition. and moreso, to use those features, you dont have to buy additional 512MB RAM. Just plug in an empty USB2.0 compatible 512MB flash drive and watch it merge with your system memory thus giving you instant memory boost - how better can that get? Better still, you could pull out the flash drive anytime without causing harm to the system except a return to previous performance level. Put that flash into another system and - it'll still be empty; absolute security for your data!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by 9ja4eva: 8:21pm On Feb 12, 2007
Is there nothing called creativity anymore.Which kain beef una hold for Windows sef?Well one doesnt need to spend time on OS's dt r nt jst supposed to be released.I do what i need to do in seconds with my windows and inshort i dey go get my own now,

Dnt be late oh go join d queue.Y shld one run Vista on a slow system?We cant continue using Pentiums n dts wat Mac users adore so bye bye.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2007
It's also going to support IPv6(internet protocol version 6), Mac will still be running IPv4
sham! Mac has had the IPv6 ever since, , Windows;latecomer
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by sbucareer(f): 9:33pm On Feb 13, 2007

I hear Pc users squabble over IPV6 over IPV4 (Internet Protocol Version 4/6). Why should we bother ourselves over the growth of internet hosts, hence IPV6. IPV6 promises tighter security over the Internet through the route of packets over IP, still we have malicious code base and virus ever increasing in today's application.

The growth of Internet host from 32-bits address space to 128-bits address space will definitely see the increase of internet users and even greater malicious code around the traffic of the internet.

To put it in another form IPv6, or Internet Protocol version 6, is a network layer standard; i.e., it governs the addressing and routing of data packets through a network.

Moreover, I don't understand any correlation between Mac OS with IPV6 and Window XP with IPV4. Those with IPV4 do not in any way limit their internet application of usage rather those new users trying to join the internet will suffer because internet has run out of address space to accommodate them. The solution to this was the invention of IPV6 from the IEEE in 1980's

This is how it works.

IPV4 is a 32-bits addressable protocol found in data-oriented protocol to be used on a packet switched internetwork (e.g., Ethernet). What this means that, the entire purpose of IP is to provide unique global computer addressing to ensure that two computers communicating over the Internet can uniquely identify one another.

Thus, when you send data from your computer to another computer the Ethernet takes your unique MAC (Media Access Code) address i.e AA-0f-32-75-AD and unique IP address through the Internet to the destination address that must be unique.

The problem was IP address was becoming limited relative to the increase of the internet users and devices like cell phone and PDA that also uses IP to route packets over the internet gateway.

Now 32-bits can only address 4.3 Billion devices or nodes, that means only 4.3 billions devices or nodes can be uniquely addressed using 2^32. Remember that IP address is in this form

Bleep.Bleep.Bleep.Bleep i.e 255.255.255.245

To represent on digit i.e 2 would need at least 8-bits i.e 00000010. To represent 255 would require 000000100000010100000101, therefore to represent 255.255.255.245 would require this addressable space 

The address is divided into 16-bits chunks and then converted to Hex delimited by colon i.e 21DA:00D3:0000:2F3B:02AA:00FF:FE28:9C5A

Remember that periods (Full Stop) is represented in bibary as well, look at the ASCII code to details. If you look at a digit like 2 requires 24-bits to represent.

The is the problem of IPV4. The new version IPV6 will use 2^128 to represent 2. Therefore internet IP will grow from 255 to maybe 300 i.e

355.355.355.345 accommodating more nodes or devices.

Finally, what is the business with users of PC or Mac OS with IPV6? Although IPV6 promises better packet routing and security. Internet will remain a hostile environment at long as it is an open source.

Internet is like a free expressway where everybody can drive fast and slow cars with police trying to control the traffic and criminals trying to snatch your cars from you pretending to be legitimate police. Expanding the road even further will double the crime committed on the Internet.

Even today, hacker have learn ways to mask IP and MAC address of other legitimate users, even some geeks have learn to re-write the MAC address of an Ethernet cards. These electronic students have the means to duplicate IP's and pretend to be legitimate user for a server to grant them access to protected resources.

For me IPV4/IPV6 have no direct contribution to using either Vista or Mac OS

Reference
------------------------------

1. IPV6
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by sbucareer(f): 10:00pm On Feb 13, 2007

Another interesting thing to me in the IPV6 would be if they could reduce the traditional Hop Limit from 255 both in IP, UDP and Datagram to at least 150, it would be a significant improvement of IPV6 not just expanding the addressable nodes and the new look of the IP address from traditional 127.0.0.1 to 7F:0:0:1

Also remember that there are NAT(Network Addres Translation) users everywhere now. Infact NAT has been the solution before IPV6. MS has a powerful NAT like the Netbeui/NetBIOS have been solving this problems of the IPV4 issues way before IPV6.

If you don't understand what is NAT. NAT is ISP giving you one IP or IPV4 and you can create many IP's or IPV4 using a clever device like router to produce private IP address within your organisation. The router has the intelligence to route or NAT all your internal IP to one Public IP given to your by your ISP. This is done by making your public IP address as your default gateway in your router. To make each node on your private IP accessible, routers has a port forwading features.

The notion of private and public IP is in the mechanism of

Public - any body on the internet can see you i.e your web server database server
Private - only people within your internal network can see you i.e. interanet. If you host a web server on this type of IP the internet cannot access your web server thus, intranet.

Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by naijafan(m): 1:32pm On Feb 14, 2007
Gamine:

XP supports IPv6. XP Service Pack 2 natively supports it. And what the heck if they didnt support it until 2008? Its not in use anyway except on the Internet II.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 9:44pm On Feb 14, 2007
XP supports IPv6. XP Service Pack 2 natively supports it. And what the heck if they didnt support it until 2008? Its not in use anyway except on the Internet II.
i know tongue
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 12:40pm On Feb 15, 2007
What a nice lecture from sbucareer. I think you might need to break it down for people like Gamine smiley

Where did you get your information from?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 2:07pm On Feb 15, 2007
@zPixel
Your distractions are def gettn the better of u, tongue
better go to www.apple.com for info, if u reli need it
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by kabiyesi(m): 9:16am On Feb 16, 2007
Microsoft Vista available in Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba before December

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Activities marking the most significant product launch in Microsoft’s history have started with the release to consumers of the Windows Vista operating system and Microsoft Office 2007.

The two flagship products, which were previewed by the Nigerian Press and released to Nigerian business customers last November will be available in more than 70 countries, in 19 languages with 99 languages anticipated by the end of the year, including Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

Announcing the launch events, Microsoft Nigeria Marketing Manager, Victor Okigbo, said:"The Nigeria launch event is part of a global schedule. We will launch Windows Vista and Microsoft Office in Abuja on the 20th of February and in Lagos on the 22nd of February."

"With the product available in over 39,000 retail stores worldwide including our local PC Outlet Store at the Palms Shopping Mall, Lagos, you can, of course, buy a copy from retail outlets right away. In fact, one very lucky Nigerian shopper will get an invitation to the Feb 22 launch event in Lagos and a copy of Windows Vista signed by Microsoft Chairman, Bill Gates."

Okigbo further disclosed that Microsoft Nigeria is collaborating closely with business partners and distributors such as HP, Intel, Coscharis Technologies and Technology Distributors (TD) as part of the product launch process and as such the launch events will include high-impact product demonstrations.

Windows Vista and the 2007 Office system deliver innovations in interface design that transform the desktop and make these two products visually exciting and significantly easier to use. New capabilities make it easy for anyone to create and share digital content like photos, music and videos, and participate in digital communities by posting blogs, creating Web sites or playing games online.

Describing the new products, Okigbo said, "The way that Nigerians work, play and communicate will be profoundly affected by the launch of these products: Vista is by far the most stable, secure and technologically advanced version of Windows to date; Office has a radically redesigned user interface that boosts productivity in a significant way. We are excited that Nigerians will have the opportunity to experience the impact of working and playing with these products."

The new versions of Windows and Office also deliver advances in security and family safety to help parents guide their kids to explore the Internet more safely, while also safeguarding their personal information so that they can share experiences, shop and have fun with greater confidence.

One example in Windows Vista is the Parental Control Panel, a feature that provides a central location where parents can manage Internet and computer access and receive reports about which Web sites their children have visited and the amount of time they have spent on the computer.

In addition,features like Windows Defender help protect consumers against attacks by spyware and malicious Web sites.

But despite all the razzmatazz that accompanied the release of the Vista Windows, only very few customers will be queuing up to buy a copy as most users of lesser vision of Windows are not expected to upgrade but acquire Vista only when they buy a new computer.

However, the launch of Windows Vista is also expected to unleash a flood of new next-generation hardware devices. Currently, there are more than 1.5 million devices and peripherals on the market that work with Windows Vista, including more than 2,000 that are Windows Vista Certified.

Among the new devices available today that are designed specifically to work with the features of Windows Vista are the TouchSmart PC from HP, which includes a touch-sensitive screen; the Toshiba Portege R400, which features a SideShow display that lets users view their e-mail without turning on the PC or opening the lid; and the OQO model 02, a new ultra-mobile device that optimizes entertainment and communication on the smallest mobile PC form factor available.

On the Nigerian scene, two variations of Zinox’s recently launched, Zinox Divine Notebook are designed to work with Windows Vista.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potentialities. Microsoft opened its offices in Nigeria in the year 2000.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/feb/14/801.html
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by muyibaba(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2007
the forum has been enlightening

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Unlock My Etisalat Modem / New Epson Sublimation Printer With Ink Feeding System For Sublimation Printing / Is Pascal Still Useful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.