Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem (5585 Views)

Ekweremadu Describes EFCC's Denial As Worrisome / #panamapapers: Buhari’s Silence Worrisome, Lackadaisical And Repugnant / Group Decries Buhari's Worrisome Display Of Misogynistic Tendencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:45pm On Jan 20, 2010
Sun of god:

CORRUPTION IS NOT THE CAUSE OF OUR PROBLEMS - ITS A SYMPTON OF OUR PROBLEMS.

From the richest to the poorest corruption has become a way of life - ASK YOURSELF WHY?

We need to focus on the cause and not the symptons - otherwise corruption will always be present.

As if Oyinbo nor dey get greed. Corruption should not be allowed to manifest itself.
Capitalism is rooted in greed, but a greed that is for the most part rooted in legality
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by biozy(m): 4:48pm On Jan 20, 2010
our greatest problem is our MENTALITY as a people
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by maballack(m): 4:59pm On Jan 20, 2010
I guess our problems is,
well in summary we were too young for independence and secondly now Power

Vote me come some years to bein the senate house, lol, i probably would look into this topic again then
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by tsunami4ve: 5:04pm On Jan 20, 2010
I really get sick when i logon to naira land only to here my fellow nigerians talk on the way forward,

I ask myself,are these not nigerians.If they are this knowledgable,why are they wasting it only on a site that is accessible by limited nigerians.

We need enlightenment,we need to eradicate corruption in order to avert poverty and so on.

The point is who is going to start it?the energy that is been put to talk-talk and talk,why not put it into action so we can know what future we

will be living for our generation to come, the nigeria we are talking about today is the nigeria that was left to us,now that it has gone sour

which nigeria will we live for the future.    ARISE!!! lets have a revolution if need be.it doesnt have to be a bloody revolution,but still,it should make a change.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by maballack(m): 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2010
Gy save ur energy, Nigeria is dynamic, so just focus on yourself , be good and corrupt free.someday there would be a change,

Corruption is an inevitable feature of Progress, just depends on the level its been carried out
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by udohjaphet: 5:21pm On Jan 20, 2010
Lack of fear of God
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by bodsibobo(m): 5:39pm On Jan 20, 2010
هل أنت متأكد؟
لا تظن الجنوبيين هي المشكلة الرئيسية في البلاد

Seun, what's nairaland turning into?

This is the kind of problem we're talking about here.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Mobinga: 5:57pm On Jan 20, 2010
d stupidity and shallowness of northerners
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by coldhearts(f): 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2010
Problem - Bad leadership.

We need a good/ tough leadership first and corruption will go away; most importantly we need a leadership that breaks its ties with any corrupt oyinbo out there. That leadership will need disciplined educated people to make a starting change.

Nigeria needs to learn from Asians i.e Chinese and Japanese , Asians progressed when all odds were against them through much discipline. Asians also protected themselves well from major foreign influence unless when it was positive, we can take a lesson or two from them. Peace and tough leadership will eventually give way to more progress in Nigeria.

P.S
We need to stop blaming each other. we loose that way.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Ellyptical: 6:16pm On Jan 20, 2010
Corruption is not as bad as religious intolerance. Corrupt People steal money. Radicals KILL!!

IMHO I think Nigeria should be divided so that the loss of lives will be done with. After that, we can now face the second on the list - corruption.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-384642.0.html#msg5356020
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On Jan 20, 2010
Redman44 (m)
Citizen of the World.

Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem
« #31 on: Today at 01:58:40 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nigeria's most worrisome problem is [size=14pt]the mentality of the citizenry [/size] [ both the leaders and the led ]. [size=14pt]Until we change our psyche, things will not change in Nigeria. [/size] In our little spheres of influence, what have we done to make our country better? The little cash that has been entrusted in our care, what have we done with the money? In a country where corruption has been discovered among Corpers [ during the 3 weeks orientation camp ], where is the hope for the future when youths are embezzling the thousands they've been entrusted with? Won't they do more damage when they are entrusted with billions? The thinking of Nigerians has to be worked on. That is our most worrisome problem. Hmn.

Yep, Democracy and good government can only be obtained and allowed to thrive when the general populace have a mentality that entertains both. If the people do not want it enough, it can never be.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Iyara(m): 6:22pm On Jan 20, 2010
Ben-10:

[size=13pt]The POLICE![/size] sad

Bless you my brother; only a part of the problem and certainly not the cause.

In right thinking societies, police officers are either unarmed or carry pistols which are almost always holstered, so you don’t see the barrel. Because they know that there are such things are disturbing.
In Nigeria we see them every day, brandishing their AK-47s with impunity; in schools, churches and even hospitals. Psychologists will tell you that this has a massive effect on the psyche of a people; a formula that has been tried and tested under numerous brutal and repressive regimes worldwide. For you to see the barrel of a gun everywhere you turn, sends a not-so subtle message; your aluta is over before it even starts.
That is why we can do nothing about PHCN, NEPA, PDP and all others; because we are scared. People complain about the mentality of the citizenry. It is not our fault; we have been conditioned to think that way.

To quote my favourite poster:
lagerwhenindoubt:

I was driving to LUTH via Lawanson when some traffic at a crucial junction sprang-up due to fuel queues. A smartly dressed military personnel came up to a car that was stuck in the middle of the road blocking traffic from the intersecting road (that had a military truck trying to get in). He stepped up to the window and asked the Driver (quite politely) Move back,  The driver who had kids in the car (most likely his) pointed to the car in front of him and behind saying that there is no space. The military guy barked once more MOVE BACK!!! and the driver insisted that there was no space, before you could say "WMDs cost me the parliament", he received a slap and a punch (because slapping a guy in a car is not as effective). The guy behind, obviously shocked and furious,came out in protest challenging the military guy,  My word! i did not realize that the entire Idi-Araba environs is filled with Military people in plain clothes,  they pounced on the guy and pushed him into a nearby gutter. they dragged the other guy out of the car and beat the bjesus out of him and pushed his car to the side of the road, his kids were still crying when i drove past. everybody was watching and people simply hissed their discontent from afar.

How many civilians did it take for the OBJ government to commit genocide on the village of ODI (4 and 2,500+ civilians died) ,  everybody knows not to mess with a man in uniform. even LASTMA and KAI can be very violent

If you’ve ever had the privilege of relating with military personnel here and abroad, you’ll see the chasm in their orientation. There, even though they have more sophisticated weapons, they fear and respect  their citizenry because they know they can put them in trouble and no sane military man would even think of touching an unarmed civilian.
Here, they look at us like their bitches. A country where an illiterate recruit can take your life and no shaking, can never have sustainable development.  No revolution was ever won by the citizens against the armed forces so the change has to come from them. They have to be on our side so we can carry them along. Their thinking towards us should change to
“If I harm this citizen, I stand to lose everything.”

Way forward;
1.) Change the official weapon of the NPF from AK-47 to pistols, only to be displayed when necessary force is required.
2.) Keep the armed forces in the barracks and let us see them only during National ceremonies.
3.) Orientate them all to know that they cannot harm an unarmed civilian. Fear and respect of the people should be the driving factor in the life of a public servant; the type of fear that does not come from a gun.

When that is done, every other thing will fall into place. Then the elected officials will fear the people because they know they cannot command the police as goons to do their bidding. The people can take to the streets to protest injustice because without fear of being treated like animals. The people will do the right things not because a madman with a gun forces them to do so a la Buhari.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by real4life: 6:27pm On Jan 20, 2010
Corruption is our biggest problem.
But even the corruption happens because we don't have a system to tackle it, which is proactive rather than reactive

هل أنت متأكد؟
لا تظن الجنوبيين هي المشكلة الرئيسية في البلاد

Seun, what's nairaland turning into?

This is the kind of problem we're talking about here.

Hey it is just arabic.

He was replying someone's post and the meaning of that is: Are you sure? Dont you think Southerners are the main problem in the country
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Viciyke(m): 7:09pm On Jan 20, 2010
Corruption
Poverty
Unemployment
Lack of Moral Standard
Phcn
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by IKEYMAN1: 7:17pm On Jan 20, 2010
[size=21pt]tpianism

aboki-nism

monekinism

non lovenism[/size]

they plenty oo

u tell me
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by koolchicco: 7:28pm On Jan 20, 2010
^^^ shocked shocked @TPIANISM!! grin
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by ogagusps3: 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2010
the number 1 problem is the light issue. it is really taking us backwards
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Fhemmmy: 7:35pm On Jan 20, 2010
Terrible Leadership
Embezzlement
Lack of power (Electricity)
Terrible Road
Lack of security
Unemployment
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by alias64: 7:56pm On Jan 20, 2010
As in much of Africa, Nigeria’s most worrisome Problem is that citizens have too much freedom --- this is contrary  to what the media would have you believe.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by otokx(m): 8:29pm On Jan 20, 2010
religion
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by ayettymama(f): 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2010
i dunno, you say corruption but isnt there a reason the country is soo corrupt??

i think its simply the type of people nigerians are

like ive heard before 'only a handful of nigerians will ever be willing enough to make a change'

nigerians have that me and my fathers house attitude

plus for some strange reason they dont see wrong in reaping

where they dont sow

stealing from the poor to live lavish for 5 minutes

i seriously dont get it, im not tryin to make us look bad

im just sayin we need to change not just the gov.t

charity begins at home

maybe if our children see this we have created better leaders for tommorow, as for today,
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by mrofficial(m): 8:34pm On Jan 20, 2010
Corruption is the overall.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by ezeagu(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2010
Within 90 years, being ripped from hunter gatherer cultures into managing a republic. grin grin
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 20, 2010
our values

98% of nigerians will do the exact same things they complain the leaders are doing if they get into office
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Tolulop001(f): 10:15pm On Jan 20, 2010
LEADERSHIP
*nuff said*
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by boyt1: 10:27pm On Jan 20, 2010
Corruption.  Blind grifters  have been leading the Masses.  lack of patriotism.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Olori(m): 10:55pm On Jan 20, 2010
Bad leadership and a docile followership
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by kshow1(m): 11:10pm On Jan 20, 2010
LEADERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by 14(m): 11:12pm On Jan 20, 2010
STOP KILLING EACH OTHER. As i am speaking now 200 people have died due to tribal clashes. SAD SAD in deed.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Alxmyr(m): 11:16pm On Jan 20, 2010
You hardly comprehend one before another start
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2010
The fact that people can't discard tribal affiliations and think properly.
Re: What Is Nigeria's Most Worrisome Problem by nethacker(m): 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2010
Bad leaders!!!!!! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Gets Threat Calls / Aftermath Of Tambuwal’s Defection: Presidency, PDP Move Against Emeka Ihedioha / Saraki Was Captured Treating Dino Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.