Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,202 members, 7,815,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? (41223 Views)

Igbo Scare: Southern Cameroon Hate For The Igbo Led To Secession From Nigeria / Igbo Scare: Southern Cameroon Hate For The Igbo Led To Secession From Nigeria / Dino Melaye Flaunts His Car In Russia, Says My Passion Is My Personal Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by salford1: 6:07am On Jul 04, 2017
xelly:
I have read most comments and I can say that they are geared towards scaring people from the support of self actualisation. I want to state here that on the negotiation table, not only separation will be discussed. Economic ties, ownership and relationship will be discussed. Foreigner owe land and properties in Nigeria. CofO wasn't issued between countries but individual not of a country but of occupant of a property.
you do not have negotiating power.

2 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by unmask: 6:13am On Jul 04, 2017
blueseacats:
It shouldn't be that way, but you know we are black people and unfortunately don't obey the laws of decent humans. So I will say yes you will lose those properties. Those Yorubas begging ibos to leave are the less fortunate ones who hope they will become property owners after ibos leave. Meanwhile those ibos screaming Biafra everywhere are mostly lazy ones who are less fortunate and has nothing to their name in ibo land let alone outside Igbo land. They blame all their problems the state of Nigeria not realizing that a lazy man is always a lazy man.
best comment.....charity begins at home....what have the south east done with the little they claim to have/get? See the allocation that akwa ibom, bayelsa and co get.....what do they do with it?

If you guys cannot make success while in Nigeria......it would be no different even when you are on your own......remember guns don't kill people.....people kill people

1 Like

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by salford1: 6:15am On Jul 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/

Can a Nigerian own a house or any property outside of Nigeria?

Can a citizen of one country live and invest in another country?

Do Nigerians need visa to go to Cameroun, Niger or Ghana?

The answers to these questions will guide you. We tend to make otherwise simple things very complicated.

\

1. Possible. One will need some sort of resident permit or visa. One can also use fronts.

2. Yes. one would need investors visa. Using examples of countries which such scheme in place, they do not come cheap.

3. Ghana and Niger are ecowas. You dont need visa but you can only stay in those countries for a certain time.
Camoroun do not belong to ecowas.
I know for Ghana...you would be told by the immigration at their airport that maximum stay is 3months.

2 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by modath(f): 6:19am On Jul 04, 2017
fulanmafia:
IDEALLY No, but with the uncivil approach to secession adopted by IPOB characterized by threats, insults and blackmail targeted at the North, you can be sure that there will be no happy separation with smiling faces or any bi-lateral agreements between the parties concerned.

Long time.... how ya doing? smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Afamed: 6:19am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:

You are basing your argument on a wrong premise, what ever conclusion reached will be invalid. Here is why, Dangote does not owe Dangote group of companies,the owners of the companies are the shareholders, which Dangote is one of them.

In Nigeria a minimum of two persons must be shareholders, but once the company goes public like Dangote group of companies that is quoted on stock exchange the shareholding expands.

Dangote group of companies is a person in law, whether Dangote renounces Nigeria or not, the company lives on except such company is wind up.

So it is immaterial whether Dangote renounces or not.

Now assuming but not conceding that Dangote is a sole proprietor and renounces Nigerian citizenship, the law is clear on it, he will need to change ownership of his properties to meet the legal requirements for a foreigners to own properties in Nigeria. Where he fails in some material particulars the property might be forfeited.

Do you know that some of the properties of the Federal government abandoned in Lagos state were taken over by Lagos government under the doctrine of bona vacantia, so who is Dangote, if his property suffers legal deficiencies it will be deemed abandoned and state will take over.

But your question is hypothetical and whatever answer is proffered will be hypothetical.

The case of Baifra is different, it is a group of people Secceding and for security reasons, such person will never be allowed to continue to own property in mother state, except they go through the screening of the mother state, which brings us back to the starting point of the properties deemed been abandoned and taking over by the government apart from the fact that in the mother state I. e. Nigeria only the government owns land others are tenant.
Stop wasting your time with the guy. No matter how you educate him their dilector has brainwashed them beyond repair, besides most of them are Gala hawkers at upper Weka, who solely rely on their Radio Biafra for update.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Nobody: 6:22am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:
When I say Igbos don't think things through, you would not believe me, so you have not thought about it, yet you want secession.

I am a lawyer and here is a legal dimension.

First note that all lands in Nigeria by virtue of the Land Use Act, 1978 is owned by the state, federal government and local government accordingly. Developed parts are owned by the state through the state governor, the undeveloped parts are owned by the local government, while those areas acquired by federal government are owned by the Federal government.

Individuals and even corporate organizations are mere tenants to the the real owners, the governments! hence, the issuance of cofo, consent, excision, ratifications et al.

Once a property is abandoned as it will be, when the biafrans bolt, the properties will revert to the real owners that is the state government, local government or federal government vide a legal principle called bona vacantia.

Note the legal principle of quic quid plantatur solo solo cedit, he who owes the land owes what is on it, all the developments on the lands become that of the real owner.

All the biafrans properties will become that of Lagos state government, it will be the largest real estate deal in the world since igbos own 90 percent of real estate in Lagos state and Afonjas only own 0.2 percent of real estate in the east.

pls Igbo ppl, destroy your properties with your own hands before you lose them. thankyu grin
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Kay17: 6:25am On Jul 04, 2017
thesicilian:
As a lay person I do not think secession should affect personal property unless the owner decides to leave his property behind and move home. That Biafra is now a separate country does not mean all Igbo's have to leave the North, West or South. I think it is just the barbaric nature of many Nigerians to reap where they do not sow that will make them want to take advantage of the situation to loot and force people out of their own homes.

@emmadejust

Aliens cannot own real property in Nigeria and one is either a citizen or an alien. In this case once a separatist secedes to another state and loses his citizenship, he automatically becomes an alien.

Except he incorporates a company or SPV in Nigeria in order to hold the real property he had. Or set up a trust settlement over the land where he would transfer it to. Nigerian who will hold it subject to the alien's benefit.

1 Like

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Kay17: 6:33am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:
When I say Igbos don't think things through, you would not believe me, so you have not thought about it, yet you want secession.

First note that all lands in Nigeria by virtue of the Land Use Act, 1978 is owned by the state, federal government and local government accordingly. Developed parts are owned by the state through the state governor, the undeveloped parts are owned by the local government, while those areas acquired by federal government are owned by the Federal government.

Individuals and even corporate organizations are mere tenants to the the real owners, the governments! hence, the issuance of cofo, consent, excision, ratifications et al.

Once a property is abandoned as it will be, when the biafrans bolt, the properties will revert to the real owners that is the state government, local government or federal government vide a legal principle called bona vacantia.

Note the legal principle of quic quid plantatur solo solo cedit, he who owes the land owes what is on it, all the developments on the lands become that of the real owner.

All the biafrans properties will become that of Lagos state government, it will be the largest real estate deal in the world since igbos own 90 percent of real estate in Lagos state and Afonjas only own 0.2 percent of real estate in the east.

But where the Biafran does not bolt, wouldn't he still be the owner of the land?

The principle of bona vacantia will coincide with the 12 year rule of adverse possession because there must either be a positive act of abandonment or passivity to an adverse possession
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Kay17: 6:39am On Jul 04, 2017
jpphilips:

C OF O is a tenancy agreement between the bearer and the Nigerian Government. If you denounce Nigeria, no previous legal agreement you have with Nigeria is binding, so the moment you accepted to Join Biafra, you have officially annulled your C of O.

You are proceeding on the assumption that a Nigerian or the Nigerian government cannot enter into a valid legal agreement with a foreigner. Which if true, implies that the scores of MoUs signed with foreign investors are consequently invalid
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by slydog(m): 6:40am On Jul 04, 2017
jpphilips:

Do you think international lenders are charity organisations?? think again, there are guidelines that guide foreign lending one of which is a sound rating and asset backing, without that, no sane global institution will be that stvpid to lend to a penniless biafra.

The international lenders will also not be quick to lend to a new country because evidence shows that every new independent country must have its own share of civil war
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Afamed: 6:41am On Jul 04, 2017
stagger:

Can you explain to us this so-called system and how it will work?
That's the biggest question they have failed consistently to know or ask from their dilector. From their mindset, Biafra will automatically become America the moment they have Biafra. Ask any Biafran such question, they will begin to quote how Donald Trump and Nnamdi Kanu have all promised them heaven on earth.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by fulanmafia: 6:43am On Jul 04, 2017
modath:

Long time.... how ya doing? smiley

Hi Mo, yeah been a minute...how've you been? I'm good.

Been mostly observing from the sidelines as the forum now appears to be turning into a creche for uncouth toddlers.

Great to hear from you again smiley.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by effty(m): 6:44am On Jul 04, 2017
Quack lawyer.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 04, 2017
Kay17:

But where the Biafran does not bolt, wouldn't he still be the owner of the land?

The principle of bona vacantia will coincide with the 12 year rule of adverse possession because there must either be a positive act of abandonment or passivity to an adverse possession

Bolt here is used in a loose sense, renouncing and denouncing Nigerian tampers with their nationalities, whether real or ostensible and they cease to be Nigerians and will consequently loose all their rights including the constitutional rights to owe immovable properties.

This cast of abandonment is by law by renouncing Nigeria, which is the bedrock where their rights to own properties emanate from I. e. being Nigerians.
The positive act of abandonment is renouncing Nigeria as their country and seceding, mind you, they are not one and the same.A citizen can renounce but it takes many people to secede.

You are aware that what is in question here is title and not possession, and I am sure you are aware it will trump possession any time any day.

1 Like

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by webcalculator(m): 6:52am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:

All the biafrans properties will become that of Lagos state government, it will be the largest real estate deal in the world since igbos own 90 percent of real estate in Lagos state and Afonjas only own 0.2 percent of real estate in the e
So brexit will make u.k loose all their properties in other part of the EU? Which kind lawyer are you?
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by hamilton62(m): 6:54am On Jul 04, 2017
blueseacats:
It shouldn't be that way, but you know we are black people and unfortunately don't obey the laws of decent humans. So I will say yes you will lose those properties. Those Yorubas begging ibos to leave are the less fortunate ones who hope they will become property owners after ibos leave. Meanwhile those ibos screaming Biafra everywhere are mostly lazy ones who are less fortunate and has nothing to their name in ibo land let alone outside Igbo land. They blame all their problems the state of Nigeria not realizing that a lazy man is always a lazy man.
Your rate of hardwork is laziness to another... How lazy will you call one when an average of the tribe is richer and hardworking with results compare to the average from another?
You see! you got it wrong, Igbos aren't lazy, try travel to the home town of the ones you think are lazy and you will be marvelled when next you wanna speak about us, igbos.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by michelz: 6:56am On Jul 04, 2017
blueseacats:
You've spoken well my brother.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 04, 2017
webcalculator:

So brexit will make u.k loose all their properties in other part of the EU? Which kind lawyer are you?

Sensed you think yourself smart by attacking my profession than addressing the issue. Don't peddle ignorance with such vaunted arrogance.

Brexit is exit of UK from a supranational organization -European Union and not secession. Now you know the kind of lawyer that I am don't you.

5 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by modath(f): 6:59am On Jul 04, 2017
fulanmafia:

Hi Mo, yeah been a minute...how've you been? I'm good.

Been mostly observing from the sidelines as the forum now appears to be turning into a creche for uncouth toddlers...

Great to hear from you again smiley.

Been great... getting my grind on... Moved past the unnecessary & ending drama some desolate & hangry (hunger +anger) folks keep putting up..

You can say that again (the highlighted)
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 04, 2017
blueseacats:

Yoruba are not keen on taking over the properties, it is the government the real owners in the first place. Don't mix it up, after all no one is expelling the igbos, they are the ones screaming they want out. Stop being disingenuous about the issue.

1 Like

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by hamilton62(m): 7:02am On Jul 04, 2017
unmask:
best comment.....charity begins at home....what have the south east done with the little they claim to have/get? See the allocation that akwa ibom, bayelsa and co get.....what do they do with it?

If you guys cannot make success while in Nigeria......it would be no different even when you are on your own......remember guns don't kill people.....people kill people
Pls, don't worry for us, let us secede... I think this show be the side of jiving for the Nigerians to let us go to suffer as your hallucination.entails and what is so special about the struggle of we still staying put in this mirage and pseudo-entity?
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by whytepawn1(m): 7:02am On Jul 04, 2017
after all is said and done, I don't see any good that will come out of this craze for biafra.
the business mogul of IBO descent who probably resides in the north or south doest give a rat ass about Biafra...its just the poor man on the streets of the east that thinks that secession will make the east into a paradise... on my way to work ..close to the entrance of the company, some casual staffs were passionately talking about how things will be after Biafra and one of them made a comment " I will make sure I deal with all those managers who treat us the way they please"... this got me thinking and I couldn't but marvel at the mentality some IBO youths have . its just a pity because things will not change out of the blues...
My biggest concern is the infighting which might occur ....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 04, 2017
Kay17:

You are proceeding on the assumption that a Nigerian or the Nigerian government cannot enter into a valid legal agreement with a foreigner. Which if true, implies that the scores of MoUs signed with foreign investors are consequently invalid

You are correct, Nigerian government can enter into a valid agreement with foreigners but not a stateless person or unrecognized nation like Biafra, neither can they ratify such existing contract as same will have been vitiated by their act of secession, since they stopped being Nigerians. They are no longer persons in law.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Afamed: 7:09am On Jul 04, 2017
webcalculator:

Make Una go school Una no go gree. What has E. U got to do with your Biafra secession. E. U is just like a union in Europe, just like we have A.U in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by webcalculator(m): 7:10am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:

Sensed you think yourself smart by attacking my profession than addressing the issue. Don't peddle ignorance with such vaunted arrogance.

Brexit is exit of UK from a supranational organization -European Union and not secession. Now you know the kind of lawyer that I am don't you.

The only way secession will cause people to loose properties is if it happened without following a normal process. If there's referendum by the UN, Nigeria will be asked to give a certain part of their national wealth to the new nation. Processes will follow and there won't be loses of property. Remember there was the Soviet Union and now countries broke away. Read what happened to their money and investment. That you're a lawyer doesn't mean you are vast in this area.
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by webcalculator(m): 7:12am On Jul 04, 2017
Afamed:

Make Una go school Una no go gree. What has E. U got to do with your Biafra secession. E. U is just like a union in Europe, just like we have A.U in Africa.

What about Russia? Is it still whole? You should be the one to go school
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Paretomaster(m): 7:15am On Jul 04, 2017
thesicilian:
As a lay person I do not think secession should affect personal property unless the owner decides to leave his property behind and move home. That Biafra is now a separate country does not mean all Igbo's have to leave the North, West or South. I think it is just the barbaric nature of many Nigerians to reap where they do not sow that will make them want to take advantage of the situation to loot and force people out of their own homes.

I think u should be less sentimental here, who did u think wanna reap where they didn't sow? Nobody cares about ur properties, the Igbo pushed the Northern youth to give the ultimatum.

If not for foolishness why will u continue to rubbish the same country u invested a lot, Calli g the ppl animals, and all sort of degrading names, yet u expect to continue beneffiting from the so called Zoo..

The simple fact is if the Igbo continue their animalistic approach to achieving their el-dorado, they will not only lose their property, but will faced serious diplomatic sanctions, and strict resistance. ..because u cannot tell me my house is useless, and call me all sort of unprintable names, and expect me to still wellcome u back with open arms.. ...

But in a situation of mutual separation, without all the characteristics of a typical IPOB, they can retain their property, and even leave , and do business here as foreigners. .....

3 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Afamed: 7:16am On Jul 04, 2017
NJ
Dumaknesset:

Ignore him. You can see the average knowledge and awareness of a typically Biafra. Most of them are Gala hawkers at upper Weka , I know them well, just go to peace park at Onitsha, you will see them all with their mentality.like I said before they solely get their information from Radio Biafra.

2 Likes

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Jonathan39: 7:16am On Jul 04, 2017
Charge and bail lawyer, what do you know. I thought you guys said Igbos where not the ones that developed Lagos? For your information, if loose there properties in the west, Yorubas will lose there property all over the world.
Dumaknesset:

Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by TheRealestGuy(m): 7:16am On Jul 04, 2017
fulanmafia:
IDEALLY No, but with the uncivil approach to secession adopted by IPOB characterized by threats, insults and blackmail targeted at the North, you can be sure that there will be no happy separation with smiling faces or any bi-lateral agreements between the parties concerned.

You keep yapping about uncivil approach, do you know how many southerners, Igbos especially, have been killed at the slightest reason in the north?

This has continued for decades and there has never been anyone tried and convicted for these disgusting crimes...

Or is it the kidnapping of young southern and northern Christian girls and marrying them off into Islam by force?

If you go about ranting that IPOB have been uncivil just because they expressed their right to freedom of speech without any physical violence, what have you to say to hundreds of thousands of Igbos that have been slaughtered to appease your illiterate masses' thirst for blood?

You're just a stinking hypocrite!
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by webcalculator(m): 7:18am On Jul 04, 2017
The post-Soviet states, also collectively known as the former Soviet Union (FSU)[1] or former Soviet Republics, are the 15 independent states that emerged from the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics in its dissolution in December 1991, with Russia internationally recognised as the successor state to the Soviet Union. On March 11, 1990, Lithuania was the first to declare its independence, with Estonia and Latvia following suit in August 1991. All three Baltic states claimed continuity from the original states that existed prior to their annexation by the Soviet Union in 1944 and were admitted to the United Nations on 17 September 1991.[2][3] The remaining 12 republics all subsequently seceded.[2] 12 of the 15 states, excluding the Baltic states, initially formed the CIS and most joined CSTO, while the Baltic states focused on European Union and NATO membership.
Dumaknesset
Afamed
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-Soviet_states
Re: Does Secession From A Country Make an Individual Lose His Personal Property? by Mrjo(m): 7:18am On Jul 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:

All the biafrans properties will become that of Lagos state government, it will be the largest real estate deal in the world since igbos own 90 percent of real estate in Lagos state and Afonjas only own 0.2 percent of real estate in the e
who abandon the property?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Buhari Lines Up Heavyweights To Battle PDP In South-south / Tinubu Visits Orji Uzor Kalu, Holds Closed-Door Meeting (Photos) / Pictures From NLC Protest In Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.