Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? (3740 Views)

Ladies, Can You Marry A Guy That Earns N30k? / Can You Date Your Boss Or Colleague?: Nigerians React / Ladies: Can You Marry A Man Who Is Currently Earning N50,000 Monthly As Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 13, 2017
Loyalblak007:
No way pls
still way better dan fake accent
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by NLProblemChild(m): 9:23am On Jun 13, 2017
Loyalblak007:
No way pls
for ur mind.. As if you weren't born in the village
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by IamSINZ(m): 9:25am On Jun 13, 2017
ZarZar:

I'm not missing any point because if or when you ditch your natural accent, what do you replace it with? Most often opt for a foreign one, usually, American. To me, that is more unattractive than any "unpleasant local accent" a guy may have. In fact, I prefer him raw & unpolished, as I find the originality more attractive than any lah di dah way of speaking that's fake. They say never say never, but on this one I stand my ground, I'd never date a guy that's ashamed of who he is & where he is from. Rock your natural accent & some of us will see the uniqueness in it & appreciate you even more for keeping it real. Just brush up on the English though because a man that can't express himself well in English, is another huge turn off for me. We're in the 21 century, come on, speak the universal language at least, to show you've been through the school gates. That is all that matters TO ME.

Lastly, IMO, there's no such thing as "unpleasant local accent". That's just inferiority complex speaking , which is exactly why some of us are unattracted to guys with unoriginal accents. Pathetic!

Do we start defining the word "local"?

In as much as you may not want to admit it, some accents aren't pleasant to the ear. What do you say about a guy who's English you strain your ears to hear or crack your brain to understand? Is it sexy when English language sounds like Swahilli? Call a spade what it is and stop acting all afrocentric to please who ever is you want to please. You're not more African than the rest of us.

Again, the topic as clearly stated is about the possibility of dating a guy who's English sounds like a motor accident, no one is talking about guys with phony foreign accents. You brought that up.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 13, 2017
Haha. Ma lo no gèrè.

hazan041:

lols
u are tryin to say owo nikoko?
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by shinarlaura(f): 9:37am On Jun 13, 2017
IamSINZ:

In as much as you may not want to admit it, some accents aren't pleasant to the ear. What do you say about a guy who's English you strain your ears to hear or crack your brain to understand? Is it sexy when English language sounds like Swahilli? Call a spade what it is and stop acting all afrocentric to please who ever is you want to please. You're not more African than the rest of us.

Again, the topic as clearly stated is about the possibility of dating a guy who's English sounds like a motor accident, no one is talking about guys with phony foreign accents. You brought that up.

Now I think u re the only person who understood the topic. Some people are just misinterpreting the question...

As for me, the answer is no. Some people accents are just so funny

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 13, 2017
Lol. No need to quote her, just look away. ZarZar is always defensive. She would rather be on the defense than understand the question.

IamSINZ:

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by IamSINZ(m): 9:41am On Jun 13, 2017
shinarlaura:

Now I think u re the only person who understood the topic. Some people are just misinterpreting the question...

As for me, the answer is no. Some people accents are just so funny

Me too, it's a "No" for me. Except I find her accent appealing to my ears smiley
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by shinarlaura(f): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2017
IamSINZ:

Me too, it's a "No" for me. Except I find her accent appealing to my ears smiley

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by IamSINZ(m): 9:44am On Jun 13, 2017
Nazeren:
Lol. No need to quote her, just look away. ZarZar is always on the defensive. She would rather be on the defense than understand the question.

LOL, aint that something? grin

She's an interesting fellow.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Lionessza(f): 9:45am On Jun 13, 2017
ZarZar:

LMFAO @ the story. Gross!

I'd be like...

Hahahaha. Seriously that was embarrassing, I wonder what she sees in him grin. But then again to each it's own tongue

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 13, 2017
It isn't to be doubted grin

IamSINZ:

LOL, aint that something? grin

She's an interesting fellow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 13, 2017
IamSINZ:

In as much as you may not want to admit it, some accents aren't pleasant to the ear. What do you say about a guy who's English you strain your ears to hear or crack your brain to understand? Is it sexy when English language sounds like Seagull? Call a spade what it is and acting all afrocentric to please who ever is you want to please. You're not more African than the rest of us.

I think you're the one missing the point here. 1) I already asked, if you change your accent, what will be the replacement if not a phony, foreign one? You keep it real yourself on that one because, you & I both know that the most preferred replacement or substitute, is an American accent.

2) As for me not wanting to admit that some accents are unpleasant. That is YOUR opinion & not me in denial. Just because something sounds unpleasant to you, doesn't mean we all share your opinion, so get over yourself fast. Yes, some accents are difficult to understand, but guess what? You're a human & can adapt to almost anything, so use your interpersonal skills to navigate your way around that problem, instead of looking down on people. In fact, your post reeks of elitism & snobbery for the simple fact that you expect someone to change themselves to suit you. It's not gonna happen! If you don't understand what someone is saying, you simply ask them to repeat themselves again, no matter how many times it takes you to get the word right. That's etiquette 101.

3) I never, EVER pretend. I'm not afraid to voice my opinion, no matter how far off it may be. I'm very independent in my thoughts & I always say exactly what is on my mind/soul, at any given time. Take it or leave it. So don't ever accuse me of trying to score invisible points just because I don't see things the way you do. You're Sinz, I'm ZarZar & I don't have to share your perspective on things. Period.

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by IamSINZ(m): 10:14am On Jun 13, 2017
ZarZar:

I think you're the one missing the point here. 1) I already asked, if you change your accent, what will be the replacement if not a phony, foreign one? You keep it real yourself on that one because, you & I both know that the most preferred replacement or substitute, is an American accent.

2) As for me not wanting to admit that some accents are unpleasant. That is YOUR opinion & not me in denial. Just because something sounds unpleasant to you, doesn't mean we all share your opinion, so get over yourself fast. Yes, some accents are difficult to understand, but guess what? You're a human & can adapt to almost anything, so use your interpersonal skills to navigate your way around that problem, instead of looking down on people. In fact, your post reeks of elitism & snobbery for the simple fact that you expect someone to change themselves to suit you. It's not gonna happen! If you don't understand what someone is saying, you simply ask them to repeat themselves again, no matter how many times it takes you to get the word right. That's etiquette 101.

3) I never, EVER pretend. I'm not afraid to voice my opinion, no matter how far off it may be. I'm very independent in my thoughts & I always say exactly what is on my mind/soul, at any given time. Take it or leave it. So don't ever accuse me of trying to score invisible points just because I don't see things the way you do. You're Sinz, I'm ZarZar & I don't have to share your perspective on things. Period.

Okay ma'am. Point taken. smiley
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 13, 2017
Nazeren:
Lol. No need to quote her, just look away. ZarZar is always defensive. She would rather be on the defense than understand the question.

What question didn't I understand? undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Yinabim(f): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2017
If he has the koko
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 13, 2017
hazan041:
Yes everybody have different choice for one reason or the othet
so as a lady can you date a man with local accent?

I wudnt mind dating a man with a local accent as long he's from my country as well but not a foreign one with their thick accent even if he's English...i dont have the patient to understand what he's murmuring about.. cool
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 13, 2017
Go back to the topic. You shall find it.

ZarZar:

What question didn't I understand? undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 13, 2017
Nazeren:
Go back to the topic. You shall find it.

No, I don't need to.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 13, 2017
Hahahahahaha. You're crushing my bones, woman!

IamKashyBaby:

I wudnt mind dating a man with a local accent as long he came from my country but not a foreign one with their thick accent even if he's English...i dont have the patient to understand what he's murmuring about.. cool
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 13, 2017
Alright, Virgo woman. Lol.

ZarZar:

No, I don't need to.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 13, 2017
Nazeren:
Alright, Virgo woman. Lol.

Aquarius, not Virgo.

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 13, 2017
Quite alright.

ZarZar:

Aquarius, not Virgo.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 13, 2017
Nazeren:
Quite alright.

What's your sign?
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 13, 2017
Haha. You got me there.

ZarZar:

What's your sign?
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 13, 2017
Yep omo Ibadan accent
The best grin
Proudly omo aje igbin je ikarahun
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by teehamzat(m): 10:39am On Jun 13, 2017
IamSINZ:

Okay ma'am. Point taken. smiley

Heh...just like that? sad

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by hazan041(m): 11:03am On Jun 13, 2017
teehamzat:

Heh...just like that? sad
wetin remain?
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 13, 2017
ZarZar:

Exactly! That's actually one of the 1st things I pay attention to when I meet a guy. Any fakeness, don't care how cute he is, my interest drops to below zero in a flash. Who wants to be with a giant counterfeit with no pride? Yuck!

I never copied any accent, and my people always say my accent is foreign. The time I was watching Legend of the Seeker (my favorite movie), I heard a guy with my type of accent -- it was that guy that was stealing horses. Lol.

At first a stranger would think its fake, but within minutes, they would agree it's natural. Fast and furious, avoiding the slightest mistakes.. . they say it sounds like a voice through a mixer.
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 13, 2017
I like local accent , lol

Its funny .
And yes I prefer local accent from my guy than fake american or British accent .
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 13, 2017
alexialin:
I like local accent , lol

Its funny .
And yes I prefer local accent from my guy than fake american or British accent .
even Ibadan accent ? grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 13, 2017
Snow84:

I never copied any accent, and my people always say my accent is foreign. The time I was watching Legend of the Seeker (my favorite movie), I heard a guy with my type of accent -- it was that guy that was stealing horses. Lol.

At first a stranger would think its fake, but within minutes, they would agree it's natural. Fast and furious, avoiding the slightest mistakes.. . they say it sounds like a voice through a mixer.

Hmmmm...maybe you're doing it subconsciously, rather than faking it. I have a feeling you might have one of those deep, velvety voices tongue

Anyway, I also have a subconscious way of doing things. For me though, I suspect it's because I'm an animated speaker by nature. So usually, I use different tones depending on what I'm talking about. If I'm sharing an anecdote about a conversation between myself & someone else, to a 3rd party. I will use different vocal ranges (sometimes different accents) to differentiate between the two "characters" in my story. I also have an uncanny ability to mimic voices, so it almost becomes like watching a puppet show when I speak, I've been told tongue

1 Like

Re: Ladies: Can You Date A Man With Local Accent? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 13, 2017
greyboy5000:
even Ibadan accent ? grin

Have not heard Ibadan accent before smiley

The ones have heard is either delta, edo and Igbo accents and yes Indian accents , they all have interesting accents .

I don't know how to differentiate Ibadan accent with other tribes originated from yorubaland .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Goes Braless To Show Off Her Nipple Piercings (photos) / Nigerian Lady Warned By Landlady Because Of Her Backside (photos) / I Love Older Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.