Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25302 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Str8talk: 8:18pm On Jan 23, 2010
@aloy-emeka
I am saying that since, on account of suspicion, you are not likely to have a single country in the South, you are going to have some small countries
Such small countries will always feel threathened by their bigger neighbours
On account of which they will settle for the present unhealthy but certain arrangement
Rather than a leap into a potential void
Or they may go along with your project but start signing some military pacts with some ambitious foreign countries who seek a foothold in the southern region of Nigeria

Yes, the big car may not be working, but there is no guarantee that the smaller car will even be available, let alone work
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by mamagee3(f): 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2010
Chinua Achebe is a standing genius of Africa.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by presido1: 9:04pm On Jan 23, 2010
Southern Nigeria will never work. It will look like a smaller Nigeria.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 9:06pm On Jan 23, 2010
aloy-emeka:

I am not here to do brave analysis. Wole Soyinka risked his life and could have died in jail during the Biafran war, what is more brave than that?. The Ekiti man that died with Aguiyi Ironsi nko? What is more brave than that?. 

I already addressed the Fajuyi case in my earlier post and I would want to see more Fajuyis in the west.

The three decider in any war in Nigeria will be Igbo, hausa and Yoruba. So, one camp leaving will mean 1/3 fighting against 2/3. Yoruba will not do that because they suspect the igbos are waiting to get their pound of flesh. I will not be surprised if Igbos join the Hausas if the Yorubas start war today. So, that distrust is the problem and that is the part of Biafran war won by the Hausas so much.

Not necessarily so. I know that Igbos will not join the north to fight against the west unless the west claims parts of Igboland. I doubt that even the north would want to fight to keep them in Nigeria. There is nothing to fight for.
The pound of flesh thing is a red herring. The Igbo is more interested in a country that works, where they can live in peace and safety to conduct their business. The pound of flesh theory is part of the divide and rule strategy by the north against the south.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that the Yorubas will stick to plan if Igbos decides to start another war again. Their council of crooks may attend owambe in Sokoto while you guys are dying in the jungle. Betrayal is a bi/tch.

That is a more reasonable concern. There is no guarantee that the Yoruba won't join the north (out of fear) to fight against the east again. None whatsoever.

In the final analysis, I believe that a southern Nigeria should not include Yorubaland because I doubt that they have the spirit to fight for its defense. Beginning from Edo, I would extend invitation to parts of Kogi, Benue state, parts of Plateau state and Taraba states. Southern Nigeria should be made of regions whose words you can take to the bank. No more back stabbing.
Southern Nigeria is only possible minus the Yoruba.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Ndipe(m): 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2010
akigbemaru:

I like Achebe's Style of writing but Igbos clamoring or crying about Biafran war everyday has become a platitude. Experience is the best teacher, you have learned reason not to be greedy in hard way. I am glad that he never mentioned Yoruba in this article, he was just been coward. And those of you who say Awolowo gave you 20 pounds. You cannot eat your cake and still have it. You made more than half of money to build east from west. Your situation is analogous to Iya pure, who lost $50 and found $150, but still claiming she could have had $200 rightnow. My advice to you Mr. Achebe, let Biafran talks be clandestinely Ibo discourse, if you bring it to the public, you are only constituting a nuisance of yourself, because people will view you with such compartic derision. They know you IBos are not sincere about biafran motive. If you blame you today, Niger Deltans tomorrow,  
British and Soviet Union next tomorrow fir your throes. It seems you are the real cause of your problem.  

You are very funny. wink
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by activities: 11:06pm On Jan 23, 2010
akigbemaru:

I like Achebe's Style of writing but Igbos clamoring or crying about Biafran war everyday has become a platitude. Experience is the best teacher, you have learned reason not to be greedy in hard way. I am glad that he never mentioned Yoruba in this article, he was just been coward. And those of you who say Awolowo gave you 20 pounds. You cannot eat your cake and still have it. You made more than half of money to build east from west. Your situation is analogous to Iya pure, who lost $50 and found $150, but still claiming she could have had $200 rightnow. My advice to you Mr. Achebe, let Biafran talks be clandestinely Ibo discourse, if you bring it to the public, you are only constituting a nuisance of yourself, because people will view you with such compartic derision. They know you IBos are not sincere about biafran motive. If you blame you today, Niger Deltans tomorrow,  
British and Soviet Union next tomorrow fir your throes. It seems you are the real cause of your problem.  
so, you have not changed with this your hatred to the ibos?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2010
bebrief:

In ever sense of the word, i strongly believe the war was a big mistake. Regardless of the circumstances, it was a mixed result of greed and short-sight by the supposed Igbo leaders at that time. And i reserve no apologies. What still baffles me about the Igbo race, of which i am a part, is that after all she has been through, there's still no end in sight to her multiplicity of divided interests and lack of direction as a people,  yet her people continues to thrive against all odds.

I however still believe in Achebe's vision of a generation, which will call Nigeria father or mother. A generation that will restore our lost dignity - if nothing rash is done now. This has nothing to do with Biafra or the Igbos alone, but a new breed of intellectuals, uncorrupted by the bizarre politics of today. A breed of sound minds governed by good conscience who are mindful of the people.

1. Can I guess that you did not read the text before posting your yansh output? If not what is greed with respect reacting to killing thousands of innocent civilians? If you were around then, what would have suggested or done?

2. Who is asking you for apologies and for what reason?

3. If you are truly an Igbo man as you claimed or you are just been told by your parents in Abuja that you are Igbo, you would have known that multiplicity is the opium of progressive modern life, which if you don't have it, democracy will always be a mirage. unFortunately it baffles you because you knew nothing about the Igbo race and its culture claimed to be part of.   As Achebe highlighted, that multiplicity of personality, is the reason the British found us tough to handle because there is no lording figure we are cueing behind his back to be used by the British to subjugate us. We are proud of our independent mindset and we will do anything to preserve it, eventhough our detractors has always paint it as disunity, but we like it because it shield us against dictatorship for many centuries even before the appearance of the white man.

4. If you think we are divided, maybe you should ask your father how the primary/secondary school in you town managed to be built without govt, who put whatever is a semblance of utilities in your town, that is not the actions of a divided people just before they do not talk like programmed robots.

5. If you're truely an Igbo man, what age group in your community do you belong to and when was the last time you paid your levy for your community development?

6. If you are an Igbo man, I have this to say to you through our ancestors "When a Man Treats His Eating Utensil as a Trash, His Neighbours Will Dump Their Rubbish Into It".
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2010
bebrief:

If only you can tell me the solution, who has a plan, what is planned and what is the desired result, then I can talk with you. But for now I don't think you have a point. It's only a fool that goes to war without a plan.

You are asking for solution? when you seem to blame those that has one, whether it works or not. That is why I ask you what your solution would have been? If someone came with weapon to kill you and your family, what will you do? Sit or fight to defend yourself/your family, piss yourself and die ten times before the attack strikes?
As an Igbo man were was you between 1967-1970? If you weren't born then, were was your father?
You have no right to criticize an investment you did not put a penny of yours into it, no matter how it perform in the money market.
You should put your thinking cap and then you will understand the different btween going into a war and a war coming to you.

Soon rather than later, your true identity will emerge as always the case in Nairaland.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 11:54pm On Jan 23, 2010
bebrief:

You've barely answered the "what is planned?". How about "who leads this plan?" and "what is the desired result?". Had we been in the 60's, this solution could still make sense. But i doubt if you could sell this agenda to the entire south: Yoruba, Igbo, Delta, Edo, Calabar and Niger Deltans alike without having a fight. Who will lead in the south? The Igbo man? Yoruba? etc? We MUST realize that our problems will never get solved by division. I weep when I see young Nigerians still discuss the same issues that led us to the civil war. We have to move ahead as a people. Killing of any sort and for any reason is too barbaric and can never be justified. I hate to hear that argument.

By the way, who are you to dispute my identity? Or why do you think i should want to 'claim' being Igbo?

You kept asking who will lead you. Why not you? What is wrong with your leadership? Why don't you volunteer your leadership?
Ojukwu, Thomas Sankara were younger than you when they lead.
Those hiding behind the fear of failure of any new nation after Nigeria, should do well to tell us how bad it can get that we haven't already lived, breath and sweat with Nigeria?
How worse can anything get than Nigeria?
You can't say a boy will make a bad father just because his father was. Give the boy a chance and let him prove himeself, whatever happened, it can be worse than his father.
Nigeria is like fusing the palestinians, Israel and add Iran to it and call them one nation and then watch as they kill, betray, hamper and destroy each other.
It seems that others are fishing you out like I had been doing. You are an Igbo wannabe for the sake of Nairaland and if by mistake or omission, you are " Ego Ejiri Lua Nne gi Furu Ohia". Q.E.D
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 12:01am On Jan 24, 2010
Anyone advocating, while sleeping or half asleep about a possible country called South Nigeria, needs their head examined. Because, not only its madness, it a creation of a mini version of present Nigeria. "You can't go all the way to the lands of the spirits to light your candle, only to extinguish on your return to the lands of the living".
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Funkstein(m): 12:10am On Jan 24, 2010
aloy-emeka:

There is a wide gap between the southern and Northern psyche. Had Lord Lugard did his home work well, He should have known that Niger republic, Chad and Northerners together would have been a more prosperous trouble free nation while Southern Nigeria, Cameroun, Ghana and Benin Republic would have faired better. The marriage of Northh and South is akin to the marriage of Arabs and Jews in one nation.

That was the whole point, The British really did their homework well, it is called divide and rule if you are not familiar with the concept as it applies to Nigeria and West Africa as a whole I will explain in detail.

[/quote]There is no honor in killing. The igbos in the South East can as well kill your people out of the blues, but they chose not to so that because they are not barbaric like the Northerners.
[quote]
I agree with you there, it amazes me that the Igbo's have not wiped out all the Hausa's in Igboland, you must be right about this. cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 12:15am On Jan 24, 2010
aloy-emeka:

I do not buy that Yoruba is a coward line because the likes of Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin, Gani, Falana, Tinubu, etc are Yorubas and for sure they will match in front of any war.  Wole Soyinka went to jail because he supported Biafra and I guess the Akingbemarus will also call Soyinka greedy for staying in jail for 3 years in support of Biafra. We are so self centered in Nigeria that we can agree to stay in shackles as long as the other tribe is in pains. I strive for freedom for all and the only way out is for everybody to go its way. Of course, the Union of the South will not come easy but for sure there will not be any discriminate blood bath.

I also do not buy into the argument that Yorubas are cowards. They are not cowards. Cunning maybe! Not entirely bad, if it's one's way of achieving a result especially in a basket case like Nigeria. Survival strategy you can call it.
I just think that Yorubas are not risk takers. They are overly cautious. While on the other side of the coin, Igbo people are big time risk takers, hence their success in business. I have seen my father while growing up, put everything we got to the last penny into a project that has 5% of success and still comes out smiling, with everyone biting their nails in suspense. That is a typical Igbo man way of life.
So it becomes an impossible, any marriage between the Yoruba/Igbo in any sort of union or country. It is not going to work.
They both have their ways of doing things and those two ways are too wide apart from each other.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Funkstein(m): 12:19am On Jan 24, 2010
Eziachi:

. "You can't go all the way to the lands of the spirits to light your candle, only to extinguish on your return to the lands of the living".

I like that quote, who is it attributed to ?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 12:23am On Jan 24, 2010
Funk stein:

I like that quote, who is it attributed to ?

It is an Igbo saying. It's attributed to a person who sacrificed a lot in order to achieve something, only to make it worse than what he has got before.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Funkstein(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2010
[
[/quote][quote author=Eziachi link=topic=386194.msg5374627#msg5374627 date=1264288531]
I also do not buy into the argument that Yorubas are cowards. They are not cowards. Cunning maybe! Not entirely bad, if it's one's way of achieving a result especially in a basket case like Nigeria. Survival strategy you can call it.
I just think that Yorubas are not risk takers. They are overly cautious. While on the other side of the coin, Igbo people are big time risk takers, hence their success in business. I have seen my father while growing up, put everything we got to the last penny into a project that has 5% of success and still comes out smiling, with everyone biting their nails in suspense. That is a typical Igbo man way of life.
So it becomes an impossible, any marriage between the Yoruba/Igbo in any sort of union or country. It is not going to work.
They both have their ways of doing things and those two ways are too wide apart from each other.

With all due respect I think you are missing the point, by your own analysis the Yoruba's and Igbo's could be perfect partners with each of them tempering each others attitudes to life for better or for worse.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 12:32am On Jan 24, 2010
Eziachi:

I also do not buy into the argument that Yorubas are cowards. They are not cowards. Cunning maybe! Not entirely bad, if it's one's your way of achieving a result especially in a basket case like Nigeria. Survival strategy you can call it.

On that point, let us agree to disagree. grin I know that being cunning is one of the greatest survival strategies of cowards. If you are not willing, or very reluctant to take risks, how do we know that we can count on you to take the risk of defending your fatherland? Bravery is all about taking risks. If you can't take risks, you are a coward. Simple.
Our biggest problem in Nigeria is that we like to complicate simple things. We all don't have to like one another to form a country, but when you are willing to sell me off to an invading enemy, I must not form a country with you. Defense is the most important foundation for setting up a country. Without that, you are only living on borrowed time.
At this point Eziachi, I must ask you: What is your best alternative to this dysfunctional country we call Nigeria?
I'm here to learn and teach. wink
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:45am On Jan 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

The Akingbemaru[/b]s of the south is what makes southern Nigeria impossible, believe me I diligently explored that possibility and came up with the same Yoruba attitudes displayed by the likes of Awo in 1967.

[b]But come to think of it, isn't it clear that Nigeria is a very vulnerable country because western Nigerians are cowards
? Supposing an enemy invades Nigeria from the west, who will fight there? I know Igbos won't, and northerners may not want to fight there because there is no oil.

Hmm, this country makes me laugh. Nigeria has been only preparing for a war against the East which allows the Yorubas to hide behind Hausas in attacking the East again. Problem is that this scenario will NEVER happen again.
Funny country indeed! grin

Onlytruth:

There are different types of bravery. Much as I respect people like Soyinka and Solarin, I cannot remember them in military fatigues in battlefields. I'm sorry. Take a close look at Nigeria's history, you will find that the closest a Yoruba got to true bravery was when Fajuyi stood by Ironsi and died for it. He stood for something higher than himself. It was risky, but he stood nevertheless. Taking a position despite real and imminent risk is what I call bravery.

I would want to recall a coup in Nigeria led by a Yoruba officer. None.
The only military campaign by a Yoruba officer was when Adenkule, leading a largely northern and gwodo gwodo soldiers invaded Calabar in 1967. Obasanjo inherited that same force, and when Murtala Muhammed died in Dimka's coup of 1976, he ran and hid under the bed! He came out only after he was assured of safety by the Babangidas and Yar aduas.

So, until I see the Yorubas lead a true military campaign which is really risky, I beg to keep my beliefs.  undecided

You are finally revealing your agenda against the Yoruba people. Like Aloy_Emeka said, I am not here to do an analysis of the bravest Nigerian people. I am here just to set the record straight about your comment about the Yoruba being cowards.

When the Oyo Empire was at the height of its power, and its empire stretched to outskirts of Ghana, were its soldiers and Generals not Yoruba? Were they Igbo or Hausa? Even when the Oyo empire started to wane and it was attacked by the jihadists, was it not Yoruba soldiers who defeated the Hausa/fulani?

What about the individuals mentioned below? Were they not brave? I guess they do not fit into your definition of bravery, which is to beat your chest and take a knife to a gun fight. So Yoruba people are cowards because they have never led a coup. You know what that means, the Yorubas have never been responsible for the malaise bedeviling this nation. Our only offence is that we prefer diplomacy before fighting.

Soyinka – Spent 26 months in prison fighting the Biafran cause and is still active today fighting one injustice or the order.

Gani, Beko, Tai, Femi Falana – Social crusaders who were imprisoned several times, hounded by successive governments for speaking for the people of Nigeria

Fela – Fought for Nigerians and Africans in general through his music. Notably had his house burnt and his mother by unknown soldiers.

Colonel Ayo Banjo – Fought for Biafra, led the Biafran Expeditionary Force to Ore before Ojukwu executed him

Lt. Col Ayo Ariyo – Resigned his position as Adekunle’s second in command at calabar, refusing to fight against Biafra

The Ijebu farmers revolt against the war (I think this was the Omopupa riot) which was crushed by Lt. Col Anthony Ochefu

I also take you back to a debate we were having the other day which you ran away from. You continue to accuse the Yoruba of cowardice and betrayal. Did Easterners not fight against Biafra? You talk about Awo's betrayal but Awo did what he thought was best for his people. Did Zik not abandon Biafra when it was obvious that the war was going to be lost? Like I said to you before, you do not have the right to accuse Awo of betrayal because Biafra was betrayed by Zik.

Bravery does not win wars; good strategy does. Yoruba people may not be brave according to your fuzzy definition but Yoruba people are good strategists. In the said civil war, who were the best commanders? Were they not Yoruba? The war was won with the 3rd Marine Commando, initially under Adekunle before Obasanjo finished the war by splitting Owerri into two with the final assault. The sole Biafran incursion into Nigeria was also under a Yoruba man. Yoruba people may be the last to come to the battle, but when they do, they do not lose. It is better to know when to fight than to be ready to fight at any time.

These unfound and derogatory allusions that you make will not lead anywhere because as you find heroes in Igbo land, you will find them in Yoruba land. The same with cowards. There is evidence to support this. If and when Nigeria splits, I hope that a referendum would be conducted first. If Igbo and other Easterners decide against a union with the Yoruba, then so be it. Odua will not suffer. It may be better for each region to go on its own to stop this incessant mis-trust exhibited by you and others who believe that the Yoruba are cowards. Imagine you wondering who will defend Nigeria if Nigeria is invaded from the West.

I leave you with a quote from Ojukwu who later ran with defeat facing him leaving his people at the mercy of the invading forces. Let me ask you a question, 'what do you think would have been the fate of the Biafrans if it were Murtala that led the final assault on Biafra?'

When Chief Awolowo asked Ojukwu about the attitude of Eastern Leaders to the North and the question of secession, Ojukwu's response was "on the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contact with the North, the answer is at the battlefield."
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by asha80(m): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2010
@katsumoto

Murtala mohammed might have been a murderous but he was definitly not a strategist as shown when his troops were roundly trounced in Onitsha.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:58am On Jan 24, 2010
asha 80:

@katsumoto

Murtala mohammed might have been a murderous but he was definitly not a strategist as shown when his troops were roundly trounced in Onitsha.

I know he was not a strategist; my point was precisely about the actions he may have taken, if the war ended under his command.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 1:26am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

You are finally revealing your agenda against the Yoruba people. Like Aloy_Emeka said, I am not here to do an analysis of the bravest Nigerian people. I am here just to set the record straight about your comment about the Yoruba being cowards.

I never had an "agenda" against the Yoruba. I am here to really learn about Nigeria. You and I explored the possibility of a southern Nigeria, and I believed in it until you and some of your folks started to justify Awolowos open betrayal of Biafra. That was where we parted ways.

What about the individuals mentioned below? Were they not brave? I guess they do not fit into your definition of bravery, which is to beat your chest and take a knife to a gun fight. So Yoruba people are cowards because they have never led a coup. You know what that means, the Yorubas have never been responsible for the malaise bedeviling this nation. Our only offence is that we prefer diplomacy before fighting.

The first and most important weapon you need against an invading enemy is bravery and resolve, not weapons. Biafra lost the war, big deal. At least we stood for something and was prepared to fight for it, even bare handed. That is what I call bravery and that is what your people lack.

Soyinka – Spent 26 months in prison fighting the Biafran cause and is still active today fighting one injustice or the order.
Gani, Beko, Tai, Femi Falana – Social crusaders who were imprisoned several times, hounded by successive governments for speaking for the people of Nigeria
Fela – Fought for Nigerians and Africans in general through his music. Notably had his house burnt and his mother by unknown soldiers.

Ralph Uwazurike of MASSOB is braver than those lots. You know why? His people fought and lost a war and he is still out there campaigning for what he believes in. He stands a real chance of being killed but that hasn't stopped him.

Colonel Ayo Banjo – Fought for Biafra, led the Biafran Expeditionary Force to Ore before Ojukwu executed him

Lt. Col Ayo Ariyo – Resigned his position as Adekunle’s second in command at calabar, refusing to fight against Biafra

The Ijebu farmers revolt against the war (I think this was the Omopupa riot) which was crushed by Lt. Col Anthony Ochefu
These are noble men no doubt but we are not talking about nobility of the like. We appreciate them though.

I also take you back to a debate we were having the other day which you ran away from. You continue to accuse the Yoruba of cowardice and betrayal. Did Easterners not fight against Biafra? You talk about Awo's betrayal but Awo did what he thought was best for his people. Did Zik not abandon Biafra when it was obvious that the war was going to be lost? Like I said to you before, you do not have the right to accuse Awo of betrayal because Biafra was betrayed by Zik.

Here you go again blaming people who never assured Biafra of any loyalty. There are Igbos that fought for Nigeria. That is a known fact. Just like there are Yorubas that fought for Biafra. What separates Awo from them is the fact that before the war, he stated that he was "implacably opposed to war" against the East, but made a somersault to champion the most inhumane war policy against Biafra. The difference is like night and day.

Bravery does not win wars; good strategy does. Yoruba people may not be brave according to your fuzzy definition but Yoruba people are good strategists. In the said civil war, who were the best commanders? Were they not Yoruba? The war was won with the 3rd Marine Commando, initially under Adekunle before Obasanjo finished the war by splitting Owerri into two with the final assault. The sole Biafran incursion into Nigeria was also under a Yoruba man. Yoruba people may be the last to come to the battle, but when they do, they do not lose. It is better to know when to fight than to be ready to fight at any time.

Bravery does not win wars, but it sure helps a whole lot! As for the third marine commando, its exploit in the war is really exaggerated because the other two divisions (under Shuwa and Muhammed) which invaded Biafra from the north and west were under rated in the whole war. Assuming Ojukwu actually thought like the enemy, he would have sent the best or most of the Biafran forces to confront Adekunle in the south. He would have simply abandoned core east and moved down south. The oil war could have convinced Britain to not back Nigeria and the war could have turned out differently. Britain only backed the side that controlled the oil resources, and Biafra could have been that side. At least, a stalemate in the south could convince Britain to stay away and not back any sides, and the war could have turned out differently.

Ojukwu made a lot of mistakes, the most important of which was to trust the words of Obafemi Awolowo.
So, when we harp on it, and when your folks still show no remorse, you make the case yourselves. undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SPARROWJA(m): 1:27am On Jan 24, 2010
informative wink
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by prankster(m): 1:31am On Jan 24, 2010
Very Very Informative,
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:34am On Jan 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

I never had an "agenda" against the Yoruba. I am here to really learn about Nigeria. You and I explored the possibility of a southern Nigeria, and I believed in it until you and some of your folks started to justify Awolowos open betrayal of Biafra. That was where we parted ways.

The first and most important weapon you need against an invading enemy is bravery and resolve, not weapons. Biafra lost the war, big deal. At least we stood for something and was prepared to fight for it, even bare handed. That is what I call bravery and that is what your people lack.

Ralph Uwazurike of MASSOB is braver than those lots. You know why? His people fought and lost a war and he is still out there campaigning for what he believes in. He stands a real chance of being killed but that hasn't stopped him.
These are noble men no doubt but we are not talking about nobility of the like. We appreciate them though.

Here you go again blaming people who never assured Biafra of any loyalty. There are Igbos that fought for Nigeria. That is a known fact. Just like there are Yorubas that fought for Biafra. What separates Awo from them is the fact that before the war, he stated that he was "implacably opposed to war" against the East, but made a somersault to champion the most inhumane war policy against Biafra. The difference is like night and day.

Bravery does not win wars, but it sure helps a whole lot! As for the third marine commando, its exploit in the war is really exaggerated because the other two divisions (under Shuwa and Muhammed) which invaded Biafra from the north and west were under rated in the whole war. Assuming Ojukwu actually thought like the enemy, he would have sent the best or most of the Biafran forces to confront Adekunle in the south. He would have simply abandoned core east and moved down south. The oil war could have convinced Britain to not back Nigeria and the war could have turned out differently. Britain only backed the side that controlled the oil resources, and Biafra could have been that side. At least, a stalemate in the south could convince Britain to stay away and not back any sides, and the war could have turned out differently.

Ojukwu made a lot of mistakes, the most important of which was to trust the words of Obafemi Awolowo.
So, when we harp on it, and when your folks still show no remorse, you make the case yourselves. undecided

I have made my point; I am not going to play historical ping pong. My stand and the information I provided to back it is there for all to see. Let everyone analyse both comments and arrive at their conclusions. But your point about Ralph Uwazurike betrays the emotions with which you use to analyse issues. I am sure that the majority of Nigerians will disagree with you on that point.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 1:48am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

I have made my point; I am not going to play historical ping pong. My stand and the information I provided to back it is there for all to see. Let everyone analyse both comments and arrive at their conclusions. But your point about Ralph Uwazurike is quite laughable. I am sure that the majority of Nigerians will disagree with you on that.

I was making a point that there are different types of bravery and would not like to include non-military type of bravery, but you insisted on it, hence my inclusion of Uwazurike.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 2:05am On Jan 24, 2010
Funk stein:

[
With all due respect I think you are missing the point, by your own analysis the Yoruba's and Igbo's could be perfect partners with each of them tempering each others attitudes to life for better or for worse.

Thank you for that. The strength of America today lies in it diversity. It embraces the unique skill-sets of every American, it does not value one section more than another because they are different. What America seeks is the best in every sphere of life. I believe that our leaders in Nigeria have failed because they lacked and still lack the vision to truly harness the gifts of all indigenous people of Nigeria. If, and when, Nigeria breaks up, we will all be the loser for it. All over the world, countries are forming alliances because their is strength in numbers. The strength and bargaining power of the Chinese today is the size of their market. The Chinese are not particularly innovative.

The European Union was formed to counter the strength of the US. The BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) union was formed by the largest countries to counter the strengths of the EU and US. Incidentally the BRIC countries are all developing nations. Our visionless leaders should have been working to be included in such a bloc. Afterall, Nigeria is the largest black nation in the world. Instead, we are forced to keep debating break up. If and when we do break up, we would have lost that advantage. The constituent and emerging republics would be smaller than Ghana, Congo, SA, etc
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by asha80(m): 2:19am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thank you for that. The strength of America today lies in it diversity. It embraces the unique skill-sets of every American, it does not value one section more than another because they are different. What America seeks is the best in every sphere of life. I believe that our leaders in Nigeria have failed because they lacked and still lack the vision to truly harness the gifts of all indigenous people of Nigeria. If, and when, Nigeria breaks up, we will all be the loser for it. All over the world, countries are forming alliances because their is strength in numbers. The strength and bargaining power of the Chinese today is the size of their market. The Chinese are not particularly innovative.

The European Union was formed to counter the strength of the US. The BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, and China) union was formed by the largest countries to counter the strengths of the EU and US. Incidentally the BRIC countries are all developing nations. Our visionless leaders should have been working to be included in such a bloc. Afterall, Nigeria is the largest black nation in the world. Instead, we are forced to keep debating break up. If and when we do break up, we would have lost that advantage. The constituent and emerging republics would be smaller than Ghana, Congo, SA, etc

i am more interested in a working country that a large sleeping burden naija is now.If you ask me to choose btw been from luxermburg or naija the answer is obvious.Why did you even include congo here Seriously congo?of what use is the size or whatever you are using to compare to the eventual break up of naija?

Note countries forming unions are already independent nations entering into a union for there own benefits in which they can pull out anytime they want if they feel thge union is no longer working for them.You cannot use them to compare to the situation in nigeria.

Mind you slovenia that broke out of the then yugoslavia has an economy that is regarded better than that of greece before they even entered EU(ie if they have entered because i heard they applied for it)
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:20am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

I believe in unions that work and not just big size unions. Zik was the worst African leader in terms of vision. The man was simply blind. I don't know what blinded him, but his blindness is unparalleled in the annals of African political history. Under Zik's watch, western Camerouns left Eastern Nigeria to join Cameroun. I would still want to form a union with western Cameroun even today, because it is more homogeneous with Eastern Nigeria than northern Nigeria. My generation of Easterners must not repeat Zik's mistake. So, size is good only when it is functional and efficient. Otherwise, a Botswana is far better than a dysfunctional Nigeria. Botswanan passport enters many first world countries visa free, while a Nigerian passport is an international leper.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 2:28am On Jan 24, 2010
asha 80:

i am more interested in a working country that a large sleeping burden naija is now.If you ask me to choose btw been from luxermburg or naija the answer is obvious.Why did you even include congo here Seriously congo?of what use is the size or whatever you are using to compare to the eventual break up of naija?

Note countries forming unions are already independent nations entering into a union for there own benefits in which they can pull out anytime they want if they feel thge union is no longer working for them.You cannot use them to compare to the situation in nigeria.

Mind you slovenia that broke out of the then yugoslavia has an economy that is regarded better than that of greece before they even entered EU(ie if they have entered because i heard they applied for it)

Onlytruth:

I believe in unions that work and not just big size unions. Zik was the worst African leader in terms of vision. The man was simply blind. I don't know what blinded him, but his blindness is unparalleled in the annals of African political history. Under Zik's watch, western Camerouns left Eastern Nigeria to join Cameroun. I would still want to form a union with western Cameroun even today, because it is more homogeneous with Eastern Nigeria than northern Nigeria. My generation of Easterners must not repeat Zik's mistake. So, size is good only when it is functional and efficient. Otherwise, a Botswana is far better than a dysfunctional Nigeria. Botswanan passport enters many first world countries visa free, while a Nigerian passport is an international leper.

I agree with both you posts; and that is why I lay the blame for the mess called Nigeria at the feet of our leaders and the British who ignored the obvious differences in the make-up of the country but created the country for selfish reasons. Asha_80, I particularly agree with your point about Ndigbo and Southern Cameroun. They are so similar in many instances that it would have made sense to merge those two regions.

I only emphasised size because it is an advantage today and it is increasingly showing signs of being important in the future, otherwise, why would China and India join BRIC.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 2:29am On Jan 24, 2010
Funk stein:

[
With all due respect I think you are missing the point, by your own analysis the Yoruba's and Igbo's could be perfect partners with each of them tempering each othersattitudes to life for better or for worse.

No, I am not missing the point, I am rather strenghtened by the result of the experiment of last 50 years that has resulted only in disasters. Yes Yoruba/Igbo can be partners, but being partners musn't translate into being fused to become one entity. Because there is European Union, doesn't mean that France will become part of Germany, taking orders from Berlin.
Or envisaging an English man going to the poll to elect a German as his president, that will rule from thousand of miles away. Never!!
Igbo will have the same relationship they had with Cameroon, Gabon with a possible Yoruba nation.  Any dream of a possible one South Nigerian nation will never work. A non starter if I may say so.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by asha80(m): 2:33am On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

I agree with both you posts; and that is why I lay the blame for the mess called Nigeria at the feet of our leaders and the British who ignored the obvious differences in the make-up of the country but created the country for selfish reasons. Asha_80, I particularly agree with your point about Ndigbo and Southern Cameroun. They are so similar in many instances that it would have made sense to merge those two regions.

I only emphasised size because it is an advantage today and it is increasingly showing signs of being important in the future, otherwise, why would China and India join BRIC.

That is Onlytruth's point not mine.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 2:39am On Jan 24, 2010
asha 80:

That is Onlytruth's point not mine.

I apologise for the error; I must have gotten confused some how.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 2:42am On Jan 24, 2010
Aloy.Emeka and Onlytruth.
Don’t get it twisted, if you look at the history or archive of pre-Nigeria era, you shall find out that no other tribe in Nigeria of today had fought more wars or as powerful as Oyo Empire.
Go and check British archives, when wars were fought with foot – which they called infantry soldiers; you will definitely give it to Yoruba.
When wars were fought with horses – which they called cavalry soldiers – In fact, this gave Yoruba warriors hegemony and commanding leads when it comes to war back then.
You go to National Theater in Iganmu or TBS in Race-course and you see horse statues, you might not know what they meant, but they are a commemoration to immortalize our lost cavalry soldiers.
It took all the world powers of then to defeat Oyo Empire. Portugal came through port novo, France digging from Seme, Germany from Calabar, British from Ibo land. They all came hard with one mission to collapse Oyo Empire.
It’s Ibos that are coward and Backstabbers.
If Yorubas never like Ibos, we would not help you codify your language
If Yorubas never like Ibos, we would not bring Christianity to your domain and build the first ever to be known in Ibos’ history
If Yorubas never like Ibos, we would not allow you to continuing mooching us.

But you people didn't have good advisers, when you left East and coming to invade West, it means you have climbed your trees more than leaves.
I have said it many times, if Ibos want Biafran country, you have Bakassi and kidnappers, let them bomb Niger and Benue bridge and continue to govern yourselves. But one warning though, Nigeria is 921,000 square kilometers, you only have 27,000 square kilometers to govern, which I called Ibo land, if you people take a step further that 27,000 square kilometers. Then, you are looking for trouble.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Gunmen Blow Up Agip Pipeline In Bayelsa / Rivers Rerun Election-inec Official’s Hand Chop Off / Tinubu 2023: We Went For Nigeria's Peace & Unity, Not Politics - Foluke Daramola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.