Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,803 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25295 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Zuha(f): 3:56pm On Jan 24, 2010
People were not sent to war without guns. I truly feel you should read about this war before you comment. Ojukwu's father owned most of Ikoyi including the house of the old JAMB office with transport companies all over the country. He inherited almost 80 million pounds worth of assets round the country not just in the east so he had a lot to loose. People the Igobs went into the war willingly because they were wounded.

Would you become subservient to someone if he wants to kill you and exterminate your family because you lack the means to defend yourself? I count that a mark of bravery.

Another thing I find amusing is the suggestion that the Niger Delta was one of the reasons the war was fought. Absolutely not. The Niger Delta was lost early in the war and the war continues for more than 2 years after that. If that was a point of disagreement, the Igbos will have surrendered earlier on.

The Hausa people have seen that there was no consequence of the genocide perpetrated against the Igbos in the 60s and have continued to do the same thing on and on. I believe that people of western extraction should realise that as long as they don't stand up to the Northerners just as the easterners did in the 60s, the Northern domination of the Nigerian political scene will not cease. That is why a president will be sick and out of the country and everyone is keeping quiet. Ask yourself, if this president were from the west or east, will this be the case?

The Niger Deltans that feel that they are loved by all because of the crude oil in the region, let me ask you, do you think the Northern cabals will relinquish power to your brother who is the vice president?

We need to inform ourselves by reading about our past and then we can make good judgements without being affected by our own prejudice.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 4:00pm On Jan 24, 2010
I could not fathom the crass interlude between irreparable stupidity and plain nonchalance to facts among certain grade of the so-called Nigerians. There is no iota of bravery on the part of Lt. Col F. Fajuyi with regard to the governor’s death. Fajuyi was declared a co-conspirator with January 15, 1966 coup d’etat plotters and was marked for death by counter-coup plotters of July 29, 1966 coup. I shall repeat that there was no period in time that Fajuyi volunteered to die with the C-in-C. The feel-happy and shameful propaganda was set in motion by the Western Region of Nigerian government publication of 1967 as a ploy to save face from deplorable act of cowardice in the face of aggressor. 

@buffnaija

It is no gain-saying that you lacked elementary tutoring from your parents. Your display of unguided ignorance left me perplexed as to whom to blame about your incurable mess.
I shall not waste my time in getting your lazy arse started on what constituted as a farce which you and your forbearers had been hoodwinked to believe and currently referred as Niger Delta. I do not give a slightest hoot to the phrase “Niger Delta” as it is today because it is a machination born out of greed and wholesome stupidity.

@bebrief

I guess you could have done yourself significant amount of favor if you have carried your idiocy to the grave while unpackaged. Probably, you would have been patting your father and uncles on the back if they had prostrated before the aggressors and allowed your mother and sisters to be jacked up by drunken and murderous Nigerian vandals.

Ndigbo in particular and Biafrans in general did not start or called for war in 1967. Gowon, northern Nigerian elites and the so-called Nigerians (southern Nigerians baring Biafrans) precipitated a war of attrition on Biafrans. I hope it does not surprise you that the malignant f.ools from the southern Nigeria who had joined the forces that fought Biafra are either publicly denouncing their participation in the war or shamefully clamoring for division of their war slogan of One-Nigeria into north and south.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by naijaking1: 4:15pm On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

I am not following. Please explain

I meant that Yoruba's history of betrayal runs deeper than other tribes, say the Igbos, the Tivs, or even the Hausas. A friend of mine said the other day, that "stabbing their friends on the back has never been a new concept to Yorubas, because they've been doing so since the time of Afonja".
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 24, 2010
I think i would like to add a comment here having gone through the write-up of Achebe.from the article,i was able to deduced that even the brits knew of the notoriety nature of the igbo;that in a day to come,the igbo may want to breakaway due to certain tribal attitudes displayed by them before independence but what Achebe didnt mention was his own perspection on the motive of the war.He assumed nigeria was a failed nation after the killing of Aguiyi ironsi and igbos in the north and this increased his tribal anger against a one nigeria.throughout his write-up,he never did mention yoruba as being responsible for the misfortunes of the igbo but i would have loved if he could connect all the dots such as the complicity/motive of the igbo in the first coup and alleged betrayal by yorubas in the secession plan by igbo and the conspiracy of awolowo in the war,causing tribal disharmony now which will be more appreciated than this.i respect chinua achebe a lot but he seems to have a biafran orientation.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 4:22pm On Jan 24, 2010
Zuha:

People were not sent to war without guns. I truly feel you should read about this war before you comment. Ojukwu's father owned most of Ikoyi including the house of the old JAMB office with transport companies all over the country. He inherited almost 80 million pounds worth of assets round the country not just in the east so he had a lot to loose. People the Igobs went into the war willingly because they were wounded.

Would you become subservient to someone if he wants to kill you and exterminate your family because you lack the means to defend yourself? I count that a mark of bravery.

Another thing I find amusing is the suggestion that the Niger Delta was one of the reasons the war was fought. Absolutely not. The Niger Delta was lost early in the war and the war continues for more than 2 years after that. If that was a point of disagreement, the Igbos will have surrendered earlier on.

The Hausa people have seen that there was no consequence of the genocide perpetrated against the Igbos in the 60s and have continued to do the same thing on and on. [b]I believe that people of western extraction should realise that as long as they don't stand up to the Northerners just as the easterners did in the 60s, the Northern domination of the Nigerian political scene will not cease. [/b]That is why a president will be sick and out of the country and everyone is keeping quiet. Ask yourself, if this president were from the west or east, will this be the case?

The Niger Deltans that feel that they are loved by all because of the crude oil in the region, let me ask you, do you think the Northern cabals will relinquish power to your brother who is the vice president?

We need to inform ourselves by reading about our past and then we can make good judgements without being affected by our own prejudice.

Why do you write so ignorantly? What extraction are Gani, Fela, Soyinka, Beko, Falana?
When Abacha held Nigeria to ransome, NADECO stood up to Abacha. Who were those in NADECO? Ajasin, Cornelius Adebayo, Alani Akinrinade, Bola Ige, Tinubu, Kudirat Abiola, etc I don't need to mention all their names.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by adigun101: 4:27pm On Jan 24, 2010
I really wish we could bury this Biafra mess and get along. cry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Zuha(f): 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2010
And after they stood up, what happened? Talking too much and not having any action to back it up is just a waste of time. That is why you keep on blaming the Igbos for going to war without a weapon. Only a courageous man will prefer to die fighting with his bare hands rather than see his kits and kins killed.

When you say something, don't leave the country when things become rough. Hang around and rough it out!!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Zuha(f): 4:32pm On Jan 24, 2010
@ adigun101

If you pretend your past did not exist, then be prepared to repeat the same mistakes you made over and over again.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I think i would like to add a comment here having gone through the write-up of Achebe.from the article,i was able to deduced that even the brits knew of the notoriety nature of the igbo;that in a day to come,the igbo may want to breakaway due to certain tribal attitudes displayed by them before independence but what Achebe didnt mention was his own perspection on the motive of the war.He assumed nigeria was a failed nation after the killing of Aguiyi ironsi and igbos in the north and this increased his tribal anger against a one nigeria.throughout his write-up,he never did mention yoruba as being responsible for the misfortunes of the igbo but i would have loved if he could connect all the dots such as the complicity/motive of the igbo in the first coup and alleged betrayal by yorubas in the secession plan by igbo and the conspiracy of awolowo in the war,causing tribal disharmony now which will be more appreciated than this.i respect chinua achebe a lot but he seems to have a biafran orientation.

Go back read the article again with an open mind without a wish for what he should say or what he should'nt.

Chinua Achebe was not championing the Igbo course in the article.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2010
I have said it before biafra was a conspiracy/fraud and that is why it will be hard for an igbo man to rule this country so that what happened in the past will not repeat itself.the earlier the better igbo tribe forget about biafra.niger delta people are wise now.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2010
adigun101:

I really wish we could bury this Biafra mess and get along. cry

Well, that's not going to happen, as long as Igbos are still walking on this planet.

The injustice meted on the Igbos was shameful and wicked, and while the schools refuse to teach about the Biafran War, many writers and scholars continue to write, give speeches and make movies on the subject of Biafra. Hence, ensuring that readers/observers in the next century will still be discussing Biafra.

Furthermore, that almost all the problems plaguing Nigeria today can be traced/linked to events that led/sustained the war, is a pointer to the importance of Biafra.

Biafra occupies an important and conspicuous niche in the Nigerian geo-historical and socio-economc landscapes.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 4:42pm On Jan 24, 2010
naijaking1:

I meant that Yoruba's history of betrayal runs deeper than other tribes, say the Igbos, the Tivs, or even the Hausas. A friend of mine said the other day, that "stabbing their friends on the back has never been a new concept to Yorubas, because they've been doing so since the time of Afonja".

Within every empire, there are betrayers. It is impossible to have a big empire without the concomitancy of betrayers. Caesar was betrayed by his best friend; Benedict Arnold in the Revolutionary USA; Alcibiades betrayal of Athens; Ephialtes betrayal of Sparta.
If there was an Igbo Empire, you would have had betrayal. Afterall, Biafra which was the first real union of the republican Igbo people together with other Easterners, equally had its betrayers. I have listed many of them on this thread.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I have said it before biafra was a conspiracy/fraud and that is why it will be hard for an igbo man to rule this country so that what happened in the past will not repeat itself.the earlier the better igbo tribe forget about biafra.niger delta people are wise now.

Being from the same ethnic group as the president is only useful for bragging, that's all.

The North that has produced most of the leaders, how are they faring?

Many studies, including this one by Okunmadewa et al., show that the poverty rate in the south west is higher than in the south east, despite the fact that the south west have produced more presidents. How do you explain that?

How has producing the president helped your region? Na dat wan we go chop?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 24, 2010
Mikeansy
what good will it do me if i read this article twice and i can summarize it to know why the writer decided to speak up after how many years ago.i bet it chinua Achebe wouldnt have written a piece like this after the war because of the frustration he kept against nigeria which he deemed to let go now
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 4:59pm On Jan 24, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Being from the same ethnic group as the president is only useful for bragging, that's all.

The North that has produced most of the leaders, how are they faring?

Many studies, including this one by Okunmadewa et al., show that the poverty rate in the south west is higher than in the south east, despite the fact that the south west have produced more presidents. How do you explain that?

How has producing the president helped your region? Na dat wan we go chop?

Good point. Rather than for Nigerians to be concerned with the individuals that would serve them best, they continue to naively play regional politics. Even when politicians are getting rid of tribalism and collaborating amongst themselves to continue to plunder Nigeria, the rest of the populace are still stuck in the 'rot' of my tribesman is the president.

What the f0'ck (pardon my french) does it matter whether the president of Nigeria is an Ibibio if there is proper infrastructure such as good roads, energy, etc. You would think that in this day and age, people would have jettisoned this 'the president is Yoruba or Igbo or Ijaw'.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aloyemeka2: 5:00pm On Jan 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by prankster(m): 5:02pm On Jan 24, 2010
Something people don't know and what history failed to mention is that The Tafawa Balewa coup in 1966 was a joint plan by military men from the Hausa, yoruba, and igbo tribe, They all had a hand in the coup,it was an Hausa man who came up with the idea as a matter of fact. The Igbos took the fall, because they were the ones who were close enough to execute the plan . The only reason the coup was successful was because the person who killed Tafrawa was someone he trusted.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aloyemeka2: 5:03pm On Jan 24, 2010
prankster:

Something people don't know and what history failed to mention is that The Tafawa Balewa coup in 1966 was a joint plan by military men from the Hausa, yoruba, and igbo tribe, They all had a hand in the coup,it was an Hausa man who came up with the idea as a matter of fact. The Igbos took the fall, because they were the ones who were close enough to execute the plan . The only reason the coup was successful was because the person who killed Tafrawa was someone he trusted.

You knew this how? undecided undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2010
Richyblack
if you are so interested to know the north has been ruling this country for a very long time save for obj.if i'm to go by your word,the south east produced the first president in nigeria but his fellow igbos sabotaged him,killed him and went to fight an unnecessary war.click here to findout about poverty ratings

http:www.gdnet.org/, /OYEKALE.ppt
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 5:06pm On Jan 24, 2010
prankster:

What a load of rubbish. Hausa man came up with the idea!! What was his name? What coup was successful? How was it successful? Who killed Tafawa? Please answer the questions before I decide whether to discuss with you.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 5:08pm On Jan 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Richyblack
if you are so interested to know the north has been ruling this country for a very long time save for obj.if i'm to go by your word,the south east produced the first president in nigeria but his fellow igbos sabotaged him,killed him and went to fight an unnecessary war.click here to findout about poverty ratings

http:www.gdnet.org/, /OYEKALE.ppt

Which Igbo president was killed? Was Zik not the first president of Nigeria? Did Zik not live to a ripe old age? Am I missing something?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 24, 2010
The coup was an entire igbo idea,
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 24, 2010
Bluetooth is sounding so daft like becomerich

I can not believe that with the sorry state of Nigeria someone educated enough to use the internet still feels like a victor
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto
He was not physically killed but all the dreams he had live for died after the coup.imagine an ousted pro-nationalistic president serving as a spokesman for biafra and adviser to ojukwu
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by naijaking1: 5:16pm On Jan 24, 2010
Katsumoto:

Within every empire, there are betrayers. It is impossible to have a big empire without the concomitancy of betrayers. Caesar was betrayed by his best friend; Benedict Arnold in the Revolutionary USA; Alcibiades betrayal of Athens; Ephialtes betrayal of Sparta.
If there was an Igbo Empire, you would have had betrayal. Afterall, Biafra which was the first real union of the republican Igbo people together with other Easterners, equally had its betrayers. I have listed many of them on this thread.

You're right.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Zuha(f): 5:25pm On Jan 24, 2010
Bluetooth, how old are you? You really sound so immature. See how others back their claims with facts and you just mutter things without basis,
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Zuha(f): 5:27pm On Jan 24, 2010
Meanwhile, una no dey watch Ghana match?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by prankster(m): 5:39pm On Jan 24, 2010
[quote][/quote]What a load of rubbish. Hausa man came up with the idea!! What was his name? What coup was successful? How was it successful? Who killed Tafawa? Please answer the questions before I decide whether to discuss with you.[code][/code]

I am not sure entirely if it was the Hausa  who came up with the idea, but they also had a hand it the coup. This is something i heard a long time ago,so am not to sure in what order it happened. As for the Source being from a Military man from those days, i don't know how credible it is,but it made more sense than just an Igbo tribe going it alone in a country with over 150 different tribes.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 24, 2010
Zuha
what have i said so far that was not  was not a fact.that zik was a a pro-nationalistic president before he was hijacked into the biafra agenda or what?.tell me which part you didnt get instead of resorting to cheap insult.i know people like you
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by naijaking1: 5:45pm On Jan 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Zuha
what have i said so far that was not was not a fact.that zik was a a pro-nationalistic president before he was hijacked into the biafra agenda or what?.tell me which part you didnt get instead of resorting to cheap insult.i know people like you

Zik had always been pro-nationalistic, even at the time Sarduana was yelling araba, or seperation, he saw a bigger Nigeria. Zik, like many Onitsha people(Ifeajuna, Araka, etc) had a problem with Nnewi people like Ojukwu, so how this position translated into playing a role in Biafra or Nigeria is still open to debate.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 24, 2010
Naijaking1
Thank you so much for acknowledging that zik was a core nationalist who was the only person so far to have his name in the 1963 constitution for his immense contribution towards a one-nigeria but why did he suddenly take an appointment as the SPOKESMAN OF BIAFRA REPUBLIC AND ADVISER TO OJUKWU who was clamouring for secession between 1967-1970
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aloyemeka2: 6:07pm On Jan 24, 2010
mikeansy:

Bluetooth is sounding so daft like becomerich

I can not believe that with the sorry state of Nigeria someone educated enough to use the internet still feels like a victor

Becomerich is 100x better. Bluetooth is either half educated or he is autistic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Happy 56th Independence Anniversary Nigeria / Pastor’s Wife Connives As Husband Rapes Choir Member In Ogun (photo) / Buhari Meets With Saraki, Others In Aso Rock After Independence Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.