Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? (5347 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / Yellowpepper Strikes Gold In Haiti- Igbodefender.com / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by NegroNtns(m): 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2010
I never yield my position to ignorant minds. . . however when it comes to "backward facing asses", I'm better off watching football and sipping beer with buffalo wings and fries!

Hey Sam, I'm on your nework. I like it and you will see me there more often. Nice job with that site!
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by blacksta(m): 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2010
Sam and Negro - I have just read through the pages of this thread and i must say you guys are seriously deluded and please enjoy your false theories hopefully one day it will make hollywood.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 10:29pm On Jan 30, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

I never yield my position to ignorant minds. . . however when it comes to "backward facing asses", I'm better off watching football and sipping beer with buffalo wings and fries!  

Hey Sam, I'm on your nework. I like it and you will see me there more often. Nice job with that site!
Thanks Man. You are welcome to the Wall.
blacksta:

Sam and Negro - I have just read through the pages of this thread and i must say you guys are seriously deluded and please enjoy your false theories hopefully one day it will make hollywood.

Thanks as well. The same was said of Stephen Hawkins and Nikola Tesla. I bet u never heard of them.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by TayoD1(m): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2010
@blacksta,

I basically advised them to do same but their inflated ego will not let them accept my good faith recommendation. I believe there is a rumours section on nairaland, both should be directed there.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by mamagee3(f): 11:12pm On Jan 30, 2010
Cause the U.S. are bunch of attention seeking people.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 12:01am On Jan 31, 2010
you know something guys, reading tayo d and el razur's posts now confirms to me why the powers that be continue to perpetrate evil and destruction in this  world - ive now realised that as long as you are clever and powerful enough you will always be one step ahead of people who refuse to think for themselves.  how is it in this day and age of easily accessible information you can have people like these two who are so ignorant of what is actually going on around them.

tayo d claims that he lives in the US but yet knows nothing of the US track record in terms of foreign policy, Sam and negro for christs sakes you are wasting your time trying to educate this individual, anyone with an iota of intelligence would immediately smell a rat with regard to the US's deployment of 15,000 troops to a tiny country like Haiti, especially a country that they have had their eyes on for over 200 years, a country that they placed economic embargoes against for over 100 years, a country that they invaded ad nauseam, to tayo d and co all i can say is this - read CLR James "the black jacobins", research COINTELPRO, read Stokely Carmichael's (Kwame Toure's) speeches,  - maybe when you discover america's vicious history you will begin to understand the world better.  

one thing i have noticed is that many of our people are walking around in a state of self delusion, a lot of it has been caused by indoctrination through religion and western education, both of these have combined to deaden any sense of critical thinking resulting in a childlike way of reasoning, in many ways even children are more inquisitive as from time to time they ask questions and show curiosity towards things they do not understand but with these "educated nigerians" what you have is a form of mental retardation - no desire to question anything and an overwhelming desire and love to aspire to anything western no matter how intellectually or morally bankrupt.

they are desperate to buy into everything their white masters tell them hence their anger and frustration at any attempt to shatter this false state of consciousness that they exist in.

do i think the US are capable of developing and using the technology to manipulate the weather and cause disasters like earthquakes - absolutely, do i know whether they have this technology  - no, but its very possible.

if the US could spend billions of US tax payer's money in order to overthrow democratically elected govts in countries like iran, haiti, nicaragua, chile, panama, ecuador, guatemala, zaire, angola, liberia, nigeria why would they not develop technologies which would make them look less culpable.

Haiti has always been a thorn in the flesh of the US because of its proud history, Haitians are a courageous people and their exemplary history stands out as a beacon of hope to all oppressed people therefore there has been a conscious effort on the part of the west to undermine this acheivement hence, the economic isolation, the relentless invasions, the US sponsored coup d'etats, the US appointed puppets -

a discerning mind would look at haiti and understand the real issue which is that in this world it is not enough to fight the righteous fight you also have to have the military might to back it up as military might is the determinant of power, this is why america will never directly challenge russia or china but limit their attacks to harmless and defenceless countries like haiti, iraq  and iran.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 12:40am On Jan 31, 2010
oopppp
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 12:46am On Jan 31, 2010
cap28 , i respect you for you post. I thought i was loosing the war against ignorance.
Apparently Tayo applied for US Visa and got it.
Then he sees anyone trying to discredit US F-Policy as a threat to his visa renewal.
I tried to tell him that i have been to Over 20 Countries Including the same US.

We dont hate America. We just cant say yes to everything they throw at poor nations.
If America invade Russia, I will be watching it with a bottle of cool beer.
The same goes to China.
But if America invade Togo, I need to drop down my beer and take up a banner asking them why ?
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 1:36am On Jan 31, 2010
Sam Milla:

cap28 , i respect you for you post. I thought i was loosing the war against ignorance.
Apparently Tayo applied for US Visa and got it.
Then he sees anyone trying to discredit US F-Policy as a threat to his visa renewal.
I tried to tell him that i have been to Over 20 Countries Including the same US.

We dont hate America. We just cant say yes to everything they throw at poor nations.
If America invade Russia, I will be watching it with a bottle of cool beer.
The same goes to China.
But if America invade Togo, I need to drop down my beer and take up a banner asking them why ?

sam the problem here as i said above is mental retardation caused by religion and western education which has instilled in the minds of black people an aggravated form of self hatred.

america's track record with regard to latin america, the carribean and africa is unmitigated violence, economic destruction, and neo colonialism, why would anyone in their right mind continue to give people with this sort of legacy the benefit of the doubt.

i look at tayo d and el razur and i feel sorry for them because sooner or later the reality of the world that they live in will become clear and i dont think they will be able to cope with the awful truth - getting a US visa means nothing if you consigned to the life of a second class citizen and denied the same opportunities that a white person of lower academic acheivement or ability is able to get without even breaking into a sweat.

the US (as well as the whole of europe)preaches equality but practices inequality but the US is one of the most unequal countries in the western world with the majority of blacks living in conditions sometimes worse than blacks in africa. just because you are eating three meals a day doesnt make you better off if mentally and spiritually you are dead. over a quarter of america's prison population is made up of black males despite blacks making up only 12% of the population (which to my mind is a direct attack on the evolution and development of the black family ) ever since the civil rights bill was passed in 1964 blacks have been targeted by the US govt for neutralisation - i urge you to read COINTELPRO papers which are now declassified documents. you will then see that america is at war with black people and black men in particular. even their so called icon abraham lincoln stated that blacks in america were an alien race and could not be properly integrated into society due to their physical and "mental" differences. he actually offered many of them the option of "relocation" to haiti - gives you an idea of what these founding fathers thought of black people in general.

america will never directly attack russia because that would mean a thermonuclear confrontation with fatal consequences for the entire US and possibly europe, they will instead provoke and foment proxy wars between russia and other countries which is what they are trying to do at the moment. america's power is declining and with any empire in its last stages of power it is flailing around looking for a last ditch attempt to claw back power, its economy is in ruins, it is on the verge of bankruptcy, what to do? foment a war between the new emerging powers - china and russia, sit back wait for both to destroy each other and then assume the dominant position once more as soon as the smoke has cleared.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by TayoD1(m): 2:14am On Jan 31, 2010
@cap28,

Why am I not surprised that cap28 is now a student of the Negro-Sam School of Virtual Reality! You can be certain that Cap28 will take sides with anyone who cries Death to America or Death to Isreal. Of course he will toe along the path of anyone who sees nothing good in America. I have started counting, soon we will see the rest of the horde coming out here to have their cheap shot at the United States. I guess the mere feeling of powerfulness that comes from condemning a powerful nation is too intoxicating for insecure people to ignore. The thing wey bad belle go cause ehn.

@Sam,

I have said before that you are very insecure. You try to feel adequate by putting other people down and you are here again touting how much travels you've done. Who cares? Do you even have a clue what others have done and where they've been? Any fool can come on the www (that's the world wide web for you), and make bogus claims. You really need to grow up.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 2:43am On Jan 31, 2010
Tayo-D:

@cap28,

Why am I not surprised that cap28 is now a student of the Negro-Sam School of Virtual Reality! You can be certain that Cap28 will take sides with anyone who cries Death to America or Death to Isreal. Of course he will toe along the path of anyone who sees nothing good in America. I have started counting, soon we will see the rest of the horde coming out here to have their cheap shot at the United States. I guess the mere feeling of powerfulness that comes from condemning a powerful nation is too intoxicating for insecure people to ignore. The thing wey bad belle go cause ehn.

@Sam,

I have said before that you are very insecure. You try to feel adequate by putting other people down and you are here again touting how much travels you've done. Who cares? Do you even have a clue what others have done and where they've been? Any fool can come on the www (that's the world wide web for you), and make bogus claims. You really need to grow up.

tayo a word of advice - read more, research more and it will open up your mind, the reason you are having this difficulty understanding and accepting what is being said on this thread is because you are in the dark okay, some of the things that are being said on here are actually truisms to most informed individuals, i have come across you on a number of threads and my observation is that you are totally uninformed - i have cited books above and articles by renowned intellectuals such as stokeley carmichael and noam chomsky - these people have been around for a long time (although stokely died in 1998) and they were at the forefront of campaigns challenging US foreign policy, if i were you i would read some of their works and then form an opinion, that way at least you have attempted to look at things from another angle, but to simply absorb propaganda and then spout it off as the gospel truth is a sign of extreme naivite.

are you familiar with the role that the US has played and continues to play in latin america? are you familiar with america's invasion of panama (under george bush snr) the invasion of grenada (under reagan) how about the monroe doctrine and the carter doctrine.

do yourself a favour - wake up, open your eyes and you will begin to see that the america that you love and adore is the antichrist.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 3:03am On Jan 31, 2010
Tayo i already told you that You are Star for getting my attention. congrats.
Without Nairaland, I doubt our paths would have crossed because i hardly waste my time on dull minds,

I suggest You ask yourself these questions.

Did i know about US-HAITI relations prior to the Earthquake ?
Or am i just not happy that sam and co are accusing a country that gave me visa ?

You idiot think we hate America, No we dont hate America.
i have not seen one point you made on this thread apart from chanting fiction and virtual reality.
i told you how many places i have been because you need to see people and know how they behave before judging them.
You dont just stay in one place and decide how others should live because you have big guns.
You are just like one fool from edo state i met who got resident permit in Holland.
Then he came to my office with news of how Holland is the best, the most populous and the most friendly people on earth,
this guy cant locate Sweden on the map yet he knew the best nation on earth is Holland.
when i asked him where else he has been, he said only Nigeria.
I wrote an article about it in AFRICAN BULLETIN newspaper in Holland stressing the need to teach and inform our people about what is going on in holland,
As a result, a charity organization was born www.goodwillhomage.com. i personally hold classes for members of the goodwill about holland policies on immigrants, how it affects them etc. plus computer classes twice a week. all for free.
you see that i have some knowledge of policies Tayo.

What baffles me here is how quick you dismiss facts as virtual reality even when a lot of references are thrown at you.
my questions to you are :

is it that your brain is totally blocked from observing what is happening around you ?
or is it that you are just contented with anything America say or do?
is it that life is smiling at you such that policies and its makers doesnt matter to you ?
or is it that you are mentally ill ?
somehow you have failed to notice that people you arguing with here are way far more advanced in knowledge than you.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by TayoD1(m): 3:17am On Jan 31, 2010
@Cap28,

Let me give you the benefit of a doubt because you are new to this discussion by sharing this with you.

I have no problems with accepting that the US pursues its self interests beyond its borders and in the process violates the sovereignty of other lands.  This is inbred in every nation and every ideology that we find on our planet.  While they all mouth one thing, they do what is diametrically opposed to what they declare.  I am reading a book on Global Justice this weekend, by Che Guevara.  It's funny how he is against imperialism but basically does the same thing.  They just call it by a differnet name.  His present day contemporary would be someone like Hugo Chavez.  The end justifies the means is basically their mantra.

Why am I saying this? Words and allegations are cheap.  Facts is what matters.  I do not believe the Global Warming that the US and other Western Nations are shouting about because I believe there are no facts to back up their claims.  My sceptism of global warming is not based on the antecedents of America or Europe, but on the data I can see.  But to claim the US is behind the earthqake in Haiti while at the same time up to some sinister plans (which the accusers are yet to identify), without providing any verifiable data to suggest such is ludicrous.  

The most logical antecedent to comapre this to is America's response during the tsunami in Indonesia.  Despite the fact that the govt of Indonesia did not collapse as it apparently has with Haiti, the US sent about 8,000 marines to help with the relief effort.  That was Asia, this is South America.  So please, before you ask me to tow the path of condemning America, I will need more than all these America did this, America did that.  They have absolutely no bearing to this situation.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 3:23am On Jan 31, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Cap28,

Let me give you the benefit of a doubt because you are new to this discussion by sharing this with you.

I have no problems with accepting that the US pursues its self interests beyond its borders and in the process violates the sovereignty of other lands.  This is inbred in every nation and every ideology that we find on our planet.  While they all mouth one thing, they do what is diametrically opposed to what they declare.  I am reading a book on Global Justice this weekend, by Che Guevara.  It's funny how he is against imperialism but basically does the same thing.  They just call it by a differnet name.  His present day contemporary would be someone like Hugo Chavez.  The end justifies the means is basically their mantra.

Why am I saying this? Words and allegations are cheap.  Facts is what matters.  I do not believe the Global Warming that the US and other Western Nations are shouting about because I believe there are no facts to back up their claims.  My sceptism of global warming is not based on the antecedents of America or Europe, but on the data I can see.  But to claim the US is behind the earthqake in Haiti while at the same time up to some sinister plans (which the accusers are yet to identify), without providing any verifiable data to suggest such is ludicrous.  

The most logical antecedent to comapre this to is America's response during the tsunami in Indonesia.  Despite the fact that the govt of Indonesia did not collapse as it apparently has with Haiti, the US sent about 8,000 marines to help with the relief effort.  That was Asia, this is South America.  So please, before you ask me to tow the path of condemning America, I will need more than all these America did this, America did that.  They have absolutely no bearing to this situation.

finally you made one post that has something in it. congrats. i will reply you when i wake up.
its past 3am here/
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by TayoD1(m): 3:25am On Jan 31, 2010
@Sam,

i told you how many places i have been because you need to see people and know how they behave before judging them
Do you ever listen to yourself  or read what you write at all?  So when did you ever meet me or know me to now judge me?  I have said before and repeat, you are a confused individual.

You don't impress me with where you've been at all.  For all I know, you may have been kicked out from one to the other for illegal immigration.  Running around other countries as a refugee does give you any edge over other people.  Do you know where I've been, what I've done and my station in life?  You have no clue how I became resident in the US or what I am doing there and yet in your usual manner jumped to conclusons that are totally baseless and above all, wrong.  Aint you tired of being wrong all the time?

Who you are or what you are means nothing to me.  Go impress those cheap girls with such boastings.  It does not move me.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 4:23am On Jan 31, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Cap28,

I have no problems with accepting that the US pursues its self interests beyond its borders and in the process violates the sovereignty of other lands.  This is inbred in every nation and every ideology that we find on our planet.  While they all mouth one thing, they do what is diametrically opposed to what they declare.  I am reading a book on Global Justice this weekend, by Che Guevara.  It's funny how he is against imperialism but basically does the same thing.  They just call it by a differnet name.  His present day contemporary would be someone like Hugo Chavez.  The end justifies the means is basically their mantra.

Why am I saying this? Words and allegations are cheap.  Facts is what matters.  I do not believe the Global Warming that the US and other Western Nations are shouting about because I believe there are no facts to back up their claims.  My sceptism of global warming is not based on the antecedents of America or Europe, but on the data I can see.  But to claim the US is behind the earthqake in Haiti while at the same time up to some sinister plans (which the accusers are yet to identify), without providing any verifiable data to suggest such is ludicrous. 

The most logical antecedent to comapre this to is America's response during the tsunami in Indonesia.  Despite the fact that the govt of Indonesia did not collapse as it apparently has with Haiti, the US sent about 8,000 marines to help with the relief effort.  That was Asia, this is South America.  So please, before you ask me to tow the path of condemning America, I will need more than all these America did this, America did that.  They have absolutely no bearing to this situation.

okay well im happy that you have conceded that the US pursues its own selfish interests, but i will correct you with regard to your point that "this is inbred in every nation and every ideology on our planet" because it is simply not true, if you look at china they are interested in economic development but not imperial hegemony, has china tried to invade or occupy any sovereign nation? have they provided military assistance and training to repressive govts around the world, have they aided and abetted corrupt govts in the looting and plunder of those countries natural resources, have they instituted austerity measures such as SAP (structural adjustment policies) on developing nations in exchange for loans with extortionate interest rates attached?

you see america exhibits features of an imperial nation in the same way britain used to. they are not content with military dominance but they must also assert territorial and ideological dominance and this is the thing that you are missing.  Haiti despite being a mere speck in their portfolio of conquered territories is a much coveted prize which they have for years been hell bent on acquiring it is imperative that you see america for what it is an EMPIRE it knows that militarily it can do this and so with impunity it invades and occupies nations particularly nations which can put up little to no resistance. 

i am confused at your conclusion that Che Guevara is according to you "doing the same thing " as the people that he is railing against - how?  in what sense? what is your interpretation of his world view as set out in this book?

are you familiar with the history of Venezuela? do you know anything about the corruption and inequality which existed under Chavez's predecessor, do you prefer a return to a society where only members of the ruling classes had access to a decent standard of living in venezuela?

You keep talking about facts but again you miss the point - its not about supposed factual data but about looking back at what has happened and piecing together a pattern of behaviour which paints a picture which becomes overwhelmingly difficult to deny. 

do you seriously think that a country as powerful as america will place incriminating evidence in the public domain - if you want factual evidence make a freedom of information application to the US public archives in respect of any of the following matters and lets see how far you get:

the assassination of MLK, JFK, Malcolm X ,Robert Kennedy, John Lennon, john kennedy junior  - you will find that any info surrounding all of these matters is STILL CLASSIFIED until around 2078 - does that not set alarm bells ringing in your ears but despite this the vast majority of americans know that JFK was not assassinated by a lone nut even though the US govt went to great pains to whitewash and coverup how he was killed.  ditto with all of the other abovementioned names. 

no govt on this planet will let you have access to sensitive or incriminating evidence that could precipate their downfall, it is left to you as an individual to do your own independent research and connect the dots okay.

in the uk blair and his cronies are currently being grilled before a similar kangaroo court with regard to the illegal invasion of iraq  - its pure pantomime - nobody will be indicted, but the UK govt will give the impression that they are a democratic nation that beleives in the rule of law - nothing could be further from the truth.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 10:06am On Jan 31, 2010
I have no problems with accepting that the US pursues its self interests beyond its borders and in the process violates the sovereignty of other lands. This is inbred in every nation and every ideology that we find on our planet.

I believe you wrote this to make yourself feel OK. To justify the American Invasion and intimidation of other Nations.

Like Cap said, What about China ?
Russians are more interested in punishing their satellite states which America took away through sponsored terrorist bombings.
Chechnya, Georgia, Belarus, Ukraine, ETC.
Currently they are proposing building what they called defense shield in those Countries which of Course Russians said no.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by Horus(m): 10:40am On Jan 31, 2010
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7WCLa5Nf-0[/flash]

US Soldiers accused of stealing Haitian historical fortune
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 10:44am On Jan 31, 2010
Thats what you get when you are occupied.
Buddy Your Country belongs to the United States now.
They have 51 states now. Last acquisition : Haiti
The are helping you with aids, so shut up.
watch out for people who need facts and proofs.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by ElRazur: 10:53am On Jan 31, 2010
Sam Milla:

watch out for people who need facts and proofs.

Sam milla, I wonder if in real life you do not require facts and proof?

Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by emmatigana: 11:13am On Jan 31, 2010
After going through this thread, i became surprised at the level of Ignorance some people demonstrated.

Tayo D and Elrazur how do you people live everyday with yourselves ? Maybe you are both kids saying their minds.
It is obvious both of you think this is about who love America and who doesn't love America.
It is not. I suggest both of you make out time and read the history behind United States and Latin America.
How most of the Latino Americans came to existence, What US said when Haiti revolted against French.
What Thomas Jefferson wanted to do with Haiti, How US set up proxy Govts sponsored coups over there.
After all that, please return to this thread to see where Your opponents here are coming from.

George Bush couldn't defend his lies to take America to Iraq and so is Tony Blair yet both of you are defending the Invasion of Haiti as if your lives depend on it.

From what i saw here, These people dont hate America, they are just trying to voice their concern about why United States sent too many Military into a tiny island in the name of help. If you think that is normal, Negro and co doesn't think the same thing and i believe they have backed themselves up with many reasons why they think its not normal.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 11:16am On Jan 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Sam milla, I wonder if in real life you do not require facts and proof?

Require facts and proofs to do what exactly ?
to prove that United States are occupying Haiti ? Yes, They have done it before and that is a fact. The proof is thousands of Military men with guns.
What else do you need ?
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by ElRazur: 11:54am On Jan 31, 2010
Sam Milla:

Require facts and proofs to do what exactly ?
to prove that United States are occupying Haiti ? Yes, They have done it before and that is a fact. The proof is thousands of Military men with guns.
What else do you need ?

Please let us deal with the question. I am asking about real life.

Also, words usage can have profound outcomes. For example, US is not occupying haiti. They offered to help and more help was required of them by the president of Haiti. Remember, the people voted him there and as such he is acting on the best interest of his people.

So I don't know where you get your "facts" of US "occupying" Haiti. Wrong word, wrong usage. It is little things like this that makes trying to debate with you a pain in the backside.

Furthermore of the 15thousands sent there, they are really not enough to help a nation of millions. Okay, you tend to forget there are other nations there with Armed men on the ground all operating under the umbrella of UN, so what exactly is your point? And where are your facts?
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by SamMilla1(m): 12:05pm On Jan 31, 2010
While at it , i will also drop my credit card number for you.

Yes America is not occupying Haiti.
I have asked a question here about when they will leave which no one answered.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by emmatigana: 12:10pm On Jan 31, 2010
America is not leaving Haiti. They have always wanted to be there from start.

Lets be positive. Their presence might be good for Haiti. New Infrastructures.
New roads, good drinking water etc.

Then the usual follow up.
trillions of dollars in debt. The same method that crippled their economy. Thats what people are concerned about.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by ElRazur: 12:36pm On Jan 31, 2010
Sam Milla:

While at it , i will also drop my credit card number for you.

Yes America is not occupying Haiti.
I have asked a question here about when they will leave which no one answered.

Can we please drop the drama? Dude, we can disagree in a civil manner you know. smiley

How long does it take for the work to be done? How long does the people of Haiti wants the US there for? These are questions for them to ponder, not for the folks on the NL.

If this help your cause, US have suggested they are committed for the long term and I think the Haiti president have said he may need up to 10Years of Aid and Help in rebuilding haiti or so. Now I do not know if that means American, Japanese, British or UN will be present around this estimated period.

Below is an article suggesting the Health care sector is non-existent and as a result a long term help of around 82million dollars may be needed.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/0129784e096460074e9d98fbb55bcb4b.htm

I suppose that can translate to roughly about 5 years I really do not know.

Here is another link - using figures from the UN - on the rebuilding of Haiti. Please make your own mind up as to how long it may take.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8482237.stm
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by Horus(m): 12:38pm On Jan 31, 2010
By reading somme comments here, I realise that many still dont know the history of Haiti. Americans are just in Haiti to create a military base, they are not here to help, they just pretend to help. We should remember that in 1910, the U.S. State Department-National City Bank of New York (now called Citibank) consortium looted all the gold reserves of the Banque National d'Haïti and its national treasury. Five years later, President Woodrow Wilson ordered American "troops" to occupy Haiti. From 1915 to 1934, the U.S. Marines imposed harsh military occupation, murdered thousands of Haitians patriots and diverted most of Haiti's gross domestic product to U.S. bankers. Haitians were banned from government jobs in their own country. Ambitious Haitians were hunted into the puppet military, setting the stage for a half-century of U.S.-backed military dictatorship. Previous to 1910 Haiti was called in french: Perle des Antilles,(Jewell of the Caribbean) because it was one of the most prosperous place in all of the Americas.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by emmatigana: 1:00pm On Jan 31, 2010
Elrazur, you are looking at the picture from pages of American newspapers.
You systematically based your argument starting from earthquake.
the other party are trying to show you the History of US and Haiti.

Now you dont have to ignore that and look at the figures the US or UN threw at you.

US is UN. UN told bush not to invade Iraq. He did. no sanctions was given because US own UN.
stop searching for the help Haiti need from US, If you keep searching for that, there is no way you will stop coming up with useless figures.
No one here doubted the fact that Haiti need help. Heck , earthquake just devastated  their country.
They need help. Long time help for that matter. US are in the position to render that help.
No one is disputing that but judging by their history with Haiti , wont you ask questions too if you are from Haiti ?
Are you so obsessed with United States that you closed your mind to reasons ?
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by ElRazur: 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2010
It is funny how all these new accounts pop up. Coincidence?

I am not so sure if it is worth engaging with you. Remember, you already labelled a few of us as ignorant. Pardon me if I just let your post go without much challenge. It get tiring to go round in circles.

Before you start harping all sort of verbal dramatics like others, please have a read as to the various threads discussing Haiti, Earthquake and how the US may have been responsible. All of these threads - even though not under the same heading - are basically the same thing. As a result, some points from other threads may be remade or stressed again in subsequent similar thread.

I am all good for asking questions. But jeez, claiming the US just want a military base in Haiti is just plain silly. All the US military bases in the world are as a result of agreement with the host country. Period.  When Nigeria refused Africom, how come the US do not go ahead and have one? Simple common sense will suggest, they weren't given the permission. So claiming the US is setting up a military base in Haiti under the disguise of a Aid is just silly.

For example, most military bases around a national shore or coast will have Super carriers carrying offensive and defensive weapons, with more Armed personnel and electronic warfare, supporting submarines from the Navy etc. Yet, in contrast all that have docked in Haiti's harbour are Ship adapted for Hospital, Logistics, Aids etc. Some of these claims are just absurd to be honest. Furthermore, people are quick to ignore the fact that Haiti people requested the help of the US. Jeez.

If you want to have a valid claim, wait till when the US start conducting "War Games", running Base-like military operation then you may have a point. Besides, there are watchful eyes scrutinizing everything the US is doing. I am pretty much sure that once there is proper evidence to show that the US is building a Military base, then we will all hear about it. Until then people need to get a grip.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by cap28: 1:38pm On Jan 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Can we please drop the drama? Dude, we can disagree in a civil manner you know. smiley

How long does it take for the work to be done? How long does the people of Haiti wants the US there for? These are questions for them to ponder, not for the folks on the NL.

If this help your cause, US have suggested they are committed for the long term and I think the Haiti president have said he may need up to 10Years of Aid and Help in rebuilding haiti or so. Now I do not know if that means American, Japanese, British or UN will be present around this estimated period.

Below is an article suggesting the Health care sector is non-existent and as a result a long term help of around 82million dollars may be needed.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/0129784e096460074e9d98fbb55bcb4b.htm

I suppose that can translate to roughly about 5 years I really do not know.

Here is another link - using figures from the UN - on the rebuilding of Haiti. Please make your own mind up as to how long it may take.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8482237.stm

El razur here is an excerpt from an article which i found on the world socialist website which i am more inclined to beleive than censored govt mouthpieces like the bbc :

The Obama administration responded to the Haitian disaster with military intervention and occupation. Its first priorities were not providing food, water and medical assistance to the quake’s survivors, but getting thousands of combat-equipped soldiers and Marines into the country and setting up a naval blockade around it to deter any Haitians from attempting to flee the catastrophe for refuge in the US.

The result was that aid needed in the critical first 72 hours after the earthquake was withheld at the cost of thousands of more lives. Planes carrying medical supplies and equipment were denied permission to land at Port-au-Prince airport, which was seized by the US military, in order to keep the runway clear for planes bringing in troops.

Doctors Dean Lorich, Soumitra Eachempati and David L. Helfet, three New York City surgeons who set up the first functioning operating room in Port-au-Prince following the disaster, have issued blistering statements spelling out the human cost of these priorities and describing the US response in Haiti as “Obama’s Katrina.”

They explained in articles written for the Wall Street Journal and CNN that they were ready to fly into Haiti the day after the earthquake, but were denied permission from the US military to land until late on the fourth day after the disaster. Even then, they were among the first medical relief groups allowed into the country.

Upon arrival, they found that “disaster management in Haiti was nonexistent.”

At the Haitian hospital, they confronted a mass of patients with wounds dripping puss and infected with maggots; people who had been “waiting in the hospital compound for days without water, antibiotics or even pain medicine.”

With the hospital lacking basic surgical supplies, they organized for their colleagues in New York to send what was needed, but a first shipment of supplies received no protection and was hijacked, while a second flight carrying supplies, as well as a new medical team to replace them, was denied permission to land. Because of the failure to deliver these supplies, they said, many of the patients they did operate on were likely to die from infection.

As they left Haiti, the doctors recounted, they “were appalled to see warehouse-size quantities of unused medicines, food and other supplies at the airport, surrounded by hundreds of US and international soldiers standing around aimlessly.”

What is exposed in this account is a response by the US government that can only be described as criminal. Decisions were made at the top of the Obama administration and in the Pentagon that troops would be sent first, instead of humanitarian relief, with the foreseeable result that many victims would not survive.

This was not a matter of negligence, but of deliberate calculations. There was no great urgency in rescuing poor people who were severely injured and whose care would require the expenditure of resources. This coldblooded response is not an aberration, but is in continuity with the century of oppression that US imperialism has visited upon Haiti, replete with repeated military occupations and the backing of brutal dictatorships that have kept three-quarters of the population living in abject poverty.

There was, on the other hand, a clear determination to exploit the Haitian earthquake as pretext to carry out a major military operation.

In the first instance, this deployment is aimed at securing the interests of the US and the native oligarchy upon which its long-time domination of the country rests against the threat that the disaster would give rise to a revolt from below.

Moreover, the show of military force in a country located between Venezuela and Cuba has an obvious attraction from the standpoint of asserting US hegemony in the region.

In this sense, the military occupation of Haiti fits in with Washington’s backing of last year’s coup in Honduras and the recent deal to open up new US military bases in Colombia. The coming to office of the Obama administration has signaled a renewed drive by US imperialism to employ its military might in pursuit of the profit interests of US-based banks and corporations in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Washington’s response to Haitian disaster has exposed the political essence of the Obama administration. The man who came to office a year ago as the candidate of “hope” and “change” heads a government that is ruthless in its commitment to the defense of America’s ruling financial elite and prepared to utilize the escalation of American militarism and the sacrifice of countless human lives, both at home and abroad, to that end.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/jan2010/obha-j30.shtml
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by ElRazur: 1:54pm On Jan 31, 2010
A socialist website? Are you kidding me? Yet you have accused me of reading from CNN or something and believing everything the UN throws at me or something. Are you now seriously, quoting a piece from a SOCIALIST WEBSITE to back up your claim? I have attended their rallies here in London and listen to a few of their talks. Thanks, but no thank you.

What credible source do you have? I am more than happy counter  most point if not all raised by the socialist piece you posted.

By the way, I can't see your post. It is showing that you are the last person to post, but I had to go and view it in your profile. I think this is because the spam bot think your post is a spam - i,e just copied and pasted.
Re: Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? by bashdecash(m): 2:01pm On Jan 31, 2010
i read this thread from the beginning and am glad that we have real guys who also think, people like
sam milla,
Negro,
cap28,
emmatigana,
horus etc

this is is the kind of war i've bn fighting with some brainwashed guys around me, and the funny thing is that most of them hate reading even if u supply them wth a book or material.

kudos guys, kp it rolling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

South Africa Remembers A Fallen Hero, Steven Bantu Biko : ***BLACK POWER!*** / Russian President Vladimir Putin Hits Africa Again! / Obama Slow Jams The News With Jimmy Fallon @ Late Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.