Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members (1982 Views)

Family Members Took Pictures With Standing Dead Man (Disturbing Photos) / 'Frustrated' Lastborn Tired Of Housework Writes Warning Letter To Family Members / Doctor, 3 Family Members Die In Auto Crash (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 1:42pm On Jun 21, 2017
I say family members because if it were friends,acquaintances etc it's easy,i throw them out!lolss
Dealing with relatives that come with baggages is in another class.
I stay alone,taking life as it comes-hustling,living,enjoying. Bae comes over and we spend time together normal stuff.
Then my cousin calls that he is coming to lagos that his school is on holidays.I was a bit skeptically about his coming but eventually I let him.Now this guy is very picky,let me name but a few:
1) Of all soups he takes only egusi and won't come near any other.
2) takes only semovita, will manage gari but doesn't take fufu at all
3) doesn't like boiled egg
4) doesn't like ukwa(despite being igbo)
5) dislikes yoruba's stew 'cause it's too peppery(but bae is yoruba and I love it)
6) doesn't take anything that includes milk(thus doesn't take tea)
7) manages pap but likes custard
cool this is the most painful,he can't cook anything!from the egusi to the semo to the custard!
And these are as it relates to food only oh!
Please how can one deal with such relatives and at the same time live my life without causing a rift between families.
PS: he is 24 yrs old,i'm 32
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2017
wow....can be anoying though...
1st make him understand apart frm allergies there is no harm in tryin out new delicasies....

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by jhudit(f): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2017
A 24yrs old VISITING relative is giving you this stress? Whenever he doesn't want to eat what bae cooks, he should take Viju milk and gala. He can go continue that with his mother, as he doesn't know how to cook.

This is the kind man that will turn his wife to everyday cook. Picky men are not very easy husbands.

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by newlander: 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2017
Good thing he is in school.... How has he been surviving? He should continue that way.

Your girl cannot come n kill herself because of his 'picky picky'

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by 0b10010011: 2:05pm On Jun 21, 2017
Use him/her for money rituals
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by fkay(f): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2017
Cook what u want and make it a principle not to entertain
too many variations or any at all since the said person cant cook.
If its someone that can cook i dont usually mind if u are picky provided u can sort yourself
but if u cant cook as far as i am concerned u dont have a choice plus when u are in someone's house
u eat what the person offers u if u are interested in eating. If u entertain all that picky eating u
will not satisfy him and yet u wont be appreciated.
Once it becomes a rule or a principle for u, he wont bother coming or he will come and know he will
have to adjust his mindset or eating habits.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 2:37pm On Jun 21, 2017
newlander:
Good thing he is in school.... How has he been surviving? He should continue that way.

Your girl cannot come n kill herself because of his 'picky picky'

it explains why he is always broke though,buying food from canteens can put a strain on one's pocket
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 2:41pm On Jun 21, 2017
fkay:
Cook what u want and make it a principle not to entertain
too many variations or any at all since the said person cant cook.
If its someone that can cook i dont usually mind if u are picky provided u can sort yourself
but if u cant cook as far as i am concerned u dont have a choice plus when u are in someone's house
u eat what the person offers u if u are interested in eating. If u entertain all that picky eating u
will not satisfy him and yet u wont be appreciated.
Once it becomes a rule or a principle for u, he wont bother coming or he will come and know he will
have to adjust his mindset or eating habits.
that is just it,i'll frustrating when school resumes in september(uniport),well not as if he is homeless he can always go back to whence he came
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 2:41pm On Jun 21, 2017
0b10010011:
Use him/her for money rituals
but i'll be the number one suspect,his parents know he is with me
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by TR1212: 3:20pm On Jun 21, 2017
Lol, op, I feel you. I recently had this kind of ish. Though in my case, she's a friend and not a relative, came from school as well, is also as young as your cousin, but we are both ladies, not guys. Mine is different however because I did enjoy her company sha, despite the pickiness.

For me, I try to provide what I can in my house and cook when I can too. I shared the cooking chores. I make breakfast, she makes dinner because I'm hardly available at lunch, she fends for herself. It wasn't easy still because she can sabi worry for Africa.

In your case though, here's what I suggest:

1. Provide the necessary supplies at home.
2. Dont plan meals together with him. Tell him to feel free to eat whatever he wants. That way, he can't come to tell you to cook what is not available since you are both men and he's even younger so he can't send you to the kitchen.
3. Try and talk to him to be disciplined. Like someone said, except he has allergies, he has no reasons to be picky. So he should either eat what's available or.... Choose your option(give him money to go eat outside or tell him to starve ni. Also, it's not proper to be picky when you are visiting. You try not to inconvenience your host and you take what you are offered.
4. Meet him halfway. Find out what he likes most and try to see that it's always available. In my case, my friend loves rice and stew with turkey. So I never lacked stew at home, she could boil rice.
5. Above all, try and endure, not because of some family bull crap, but because this is a lesson. Your child might be like that tomorrow and if u aren't a strong disciplinarian to stand on your words, you'll have to compromise.

Good luck

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 21, 2017
This is why, as married couple, you should not entertain people/family in your house for more than a week.

You are so nice. cos me, I don't have time for spoilt brats & extremely picky eaters. They can go back to their parents who trained them that way. Not trying to make me uncomfortable in my own house

Some Nigerians with their sense of entitlement, becoming a burden to others... very annoying!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2017
Joavid:
This is why, as married couple, you should not entertain people/family in your house for more than a week.

You are so nice. cos me, I don't have time for spoilt brats & extremely picky eaters. They can go back to their parents who trained them that way. Not trying to make me uncomfortable in my own house

Some Nigerians with their sense of entitlement, becoming a burden to others... very annoying!

you are already judging his relative. you don't know if he is a spoilt brat or not.

tHe op is only worrying because he wants him to feel comfortable in his house.

@Op just provide basic stuffs and buy maybe indomie or snacks he can use to sort himself out whenever the plan for the meal doesn't favour him.

at 24, he should already know he is picky and he is probably not expecting too much from you so don't worry too much.

if he is a child or teen it would have made sense to worry.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 21, 2017
proudafrogal:

you are already judging his relative. you don't know if he is a spoilt brat or not.

tHe op is only worrying because he wants him to feel comfortable in his house.

Next time, state your opinion and pass without quoting me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Cuddlebugie(f): 8:26pm On Jun 21, 2017
^^^^^^^^
No chill cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 7:00am On Jun 22, 2017
Joavid:

the problem is that people are insensitive,if you tell them to leave then you are considered rude/inconsiderate/wicked at the same time but when they stay they come in your way!some will even come with loud 1am prayers,omo I don see things oh
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Acidosis(m): 7:13am On Jun 22, 2017
How did he managed to eat/cook in school?
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by NoToPile: 9:33am On Jun 22, 2017
Doesn't eat EBA only semo , eats only egusi soup, no milk.

And he can't even cook anything , he's 24 years old and in the uni, what does he eat in school?

Well he should learn to cook beans ,concotion and jollof rice and eat them when you are having your own orishirishi food.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by jashar(f): 10:59am On Jun 22, 2017
Hunger never hammer am... undecided

Stop indulging him

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by nedu2000(m): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2017
Acidosis:
How did he managed to eat/cook in school?

that's why he is always broke in school,when you have to buy food from canteens consistently. Sometimes his girlfriend cooks for him
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Partnerbiz3: 6:57am On Sep 29, 2017
nedu2000:
the problem is that people are insensitive,if you tell them to leave then you are considered rude/inconsiderate/wicked at the same time but when they stay they come in your way!some will even come with loud 1am prayers,omo I don see things oh

You caught me there lol.

See below for data.

see testimonies too..
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by YesNo(m): 10:58am On Sep 29, 2017
I was already living in my first rented apartment, inside deep yoruba land (EKITI) and far from my parents at that age.

cant remember going for holidays at anyone's place, let alone going there and being so choosy.

your bro is still not in tune with the harsh realities of this beautiful life. he will wake up when his morning comes.
Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by ImaIma1(f): 1:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
If he is not ok with whatever is available in the house to eat, he can visit a restaurant of his choice. No one should come and be a burden to you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by Daeylar(f): 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
Stop indulging him op he's 24 and doesn't know how to cook, it's ridiculous, everyone should know how to cook

Op please don't be a people pleaser, don't stress yourself because of someone else, you even said that's not the only place he is being picky, please don't ever stress yourself because of someone.

He should even be able to cook for you guys once in a while as a grateful guest.

If he doesn't want to eat what's at home let him cook, if he doesn't want to cook let him go out and eat.

Don't allow anyone to stress you jare.

And yes you can throw out family members. No one is allowed to give you stress.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With 'picky' Family Members by engrtee(f): 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2017
nedu2000:
I say family members because if it were friends,acquaintances etc it's easy,i throw them out!lolss
Dealing with relatives that come with baggages is in another class.
I stay alone,taking life as it comes-hustling,living,enjoying. Bae comes over and we spend time together normal stuff.
Then my cousin calls that he is coming to lagos that his school is on holidays.I was a bit skeptically about his coming but eventually I let him.Now this guy is very picky,let me name but a few:
1) Of all soups he takes only egusi and won't come near any other.
2) takes only semovita, will manage gari but doesn't take fufu at all
3) doesn't like boiled egg
4) doesn't like ukwa(despite being igbo)
5) dislikes yoruba's stew 'cause it's too peppery(but bae is yoruba and I love it)
6) doesn't take anything that includes milk(thus doesn't take tea)
7) manages pap but likes custard
cool this is the most painful,he can't cook anything!from the egusi to the semo to the custard!
And these are as it relates to food only oh!
Please how can one deal with such relatives and at the same time live my life without causing a rift between families.
PS: he is 24 yrs old,i'm 32

such people are ajebutter ..nigas DAT live in ghetto don't pick. don't Cook for him.let him do it himself.if hunger kill an for two week. I'm go chop by force

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Explain This Your Wife? / NAIJA NO EASY!! How Many Children Will You Like To Born In This Our Economy?? / Cake For My Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.