Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,750 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1318708 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by OlufemiWhit(m): 9:49pm On Dec 25, 2018
Just tell us what he saw nah........Merry Christmas Bro

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Kayoderebel(m): 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2018
Lool this update was crazy...

Plot twist;
Alhaji Sirika and Agboyinbo's wife, no he wasn't shining her congo. It's the other way around.

3 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Intrepid1(m): 9:56pm On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Christmas to you, Centino. You are a fantastic writer. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by nationalnwa(m): 11:30pm On Dec 25, 2018
Them go see danger.. Wahala dey

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 26, 2018
Centino:
Then the moment he saw that there were no eyes on him, he sped to the window and exposed his hidden lens and put his eye through it.

Until he left Katakata Street, Irikefe continued to wonder how he did not faint at what he saw.

lol. let me guess, alhaji is sleeping with evaes mum??

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by stevodot22(m): 6:09am On Dec 26, 2018
Menh! I love this episode in particular, I believe the next episode will unveil the true personalities of the agbonyibos. Thanks man for the update and more chicken to your rice in this festive period.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by queenitee(f): 6:31am On Dec 26, 2018
Maya, come back here right now

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 26, 2018
I see Ndi ending up with evae...Maya will loose...nce1..centi baba.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by riqmarol(m): 7:58am On Dec 26, 2018
nice work centino
merry Christmas.. but do Christmas for us na with updates crynice work centino
merry Christmas.. but do Christmas for us na with updates

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Olatoman(m): 4:26pm On Dec 26, 2018
Centino, honestly well done with this Piece you have here.
Been reading snippets here and there but decided to start from Page 1 to really know what I'm reading, just finished some hours ago and it's been a wonderful read.
So when will the Witch die?
When will Papa Efe confront Agbonovi or so.

Also, Chisco should not give his brother the cold shoulder o, will love to Akunna feel terribly bad...though this one he is staying at Wasiu room only God knows which prick Nurse Jo will prefer...

Oh, compliments of the Season to you...

Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eyesofpearls(f): 6:24pm On Dec 26, 2018
Centino Baba! This place you stop so e good so?! I understand “let them hunger for more” but not die of curiosity na Haba! I should have waited for 2 updates before coming to read... sad
This kind Christmas gift ehn cry cry

Merry Christmas man! May Joy fill up your heart and inner peace be yours always. Have a fabulous one. Happy holidays.

4 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by labelle123(f): 7:45pm On Dec 26, 2018
Centino you too much
Weldon guy

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Evold: 9:39pm On Dec 26, 2018
I'm trying to hack into Irikefe's mind. I can't wait to know what he saw before anyone else on this thread. Thanks for the Christmas gift

3 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 9:57pm On Dec 26, 2018
See confirm update, Oga Centino you too much

This Agbon- fine boy and him family na serious case

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by EmjayCaleb(m): 10:58pm On Dec 26, 2018
Centino, I love you man.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by bailynbas: 11:23pm On Dec 26, 2018
Baba centino,you are wise man,you don't want to change peoples view abt christmas through cosmas,you are 2 much
we shall all witness many chrismas in our lifetime....you knw u're owing us some update.#SUSPENCE MAN#

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2018
Olatoman:
Centino, honestly well done with this Piece you have here.
Been reading snippets here and there but decided to start from Page 1 to really know what I'm reading, just finished some hours ago and it's been a wonderful read.
So when will the Witch die?
When will Papa Efe confront Agbonovi or so.

Also, Chisco should not give his brother the cold shoulder o, will love to Akunna feel terribly bad...though this one he is staying at Wasiu room only God knows which prick Nurse Jo will prefer...

Oh, compliments of the Season to you...

Stay blessed.

Nice to have you with us man.

Let's see how the plot unfolds smiley
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Taniaa(f): 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2018
Centino:
MEET MY NEIGHBOURS (2)

There is also Achike who refused to pay his rent because the budget had not been signed. “Achike, “What has the okrika you are selling at the bus stop got to do with the budget? Alhaji Sirika said, eyes blazing. What has that got to do with my money?” Stout with a prominent distension in the middle, Achike said “My business is tied to government spending. It is intricate Alhaji, you will not understand.” When reminded that the vice president in his capacity as acting president had signed the budget, he said, “It is a ruse. We have no acting president. The man was told to coordinate activities of government till Baba returns. He himself has said that he speaks with the president every day. What that implies is that he still takes instructions from the president. It means we have two presidents which is wrong constitutionally and in that light the budget he signed is null and void! When the budget excuse did not work Achike said “My brothers in the north have been given quit notice. Nobody knows what will happen in two months time.”

I used to think Mr Cosmas was weird until three months after I moved in I began to notice activity in one of the hitherto locked rooms on the ground floor. The returnee occupant is Mr Kingsley. He does not talk to anyone, he never says or responds to greetings, he never flushes the toilet after use and he prefers to take his bath in the bathroom reserved for peeing. He is a heavily bearded towering man with dark piercing eyes and bushy eyebrows with some strands curling out towards the sky. His torso is matted with hair and when he moves he seems to do so on tiptoe. The children call him The Undertaker. He converses only in parables or in quotes and always acknowledges the quoted, often leaving listeners confused. During compound meetings he will be seen stroking his beard and looking disinterested while neighbors raged about one problem or the other. Then someone will say to him “Mr Kingsley, so what do you say? How can we be expected to contribute money to repair the transformer when we pay NEPA bills every month? He will pretend not to hear and will keep everyone waiting for about a minute then he will say “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty. Thomas Jefferson.” Then someone will say “Mr Kingsley you have come again. We are asking what we should do and you are quoting a dead oyibo man for us.” He will again stroke his beard for another minute then say “Whatever we do will seem insignificant but it is important that we do it. Mahatma Ghandi.” It is when he is angry that he produces his best quotes. Usually he quotes an African statesman. One Sunday afternoon, Mr Zubi’s boys were playing police and thief and barged on his door constantly while he was having a siesta. When he could not bear it any longer, he went and knocked on their door and said to Mr Zubi “Mister, warn your children. If they continue to hit my door like that, ‘the come, will turn to become.’ Mbadiwe.”

Living directly opposite Mr Kingsley’s is the born again Spinster Sister Esther. In her late thirties and once beautiful, Sister Esther, always thoroughly covered in maxi skirts and long-sleeve blouses and scarves competed for airtime with the muezzin every morning with her loud hailer admonishing all the souls on the street to “repent, or spend eternity in hell fire”. Before hitting the street she would first put her mouth through Mr Cosmas’ window and say “Brother! The Lord has given you another chance by sparing your life till this morning. Turn away from blasphemy and heresy and call upon the one true God. Repent!” Then she would gather her skirt and jump the gutter and make sure that the first words that rent the air before the muezzin’s speakers cracked would be “repent!”

“She’s in love with The Undertaker” Irikefe once told me. He is the one that shines her congo”. “Don’t be silly Irikefe” I said. “Don’t worry bros Freke. You will see for yourself.”

Now to Lukman the one eyed barber. You would think that after five years of blindness in one eye that he would be used to his lot by now. But he continued to take offence when looked at any longer than he considered necessary. “I am like this because I was fighting for your rights!” He always said. The story is that he was gorged by a policeman who was fighting off a mob that isolated and beat him up during a “peaceful” protest against the APC government for the ill treatment received in the area. “Because we support the PDP and our councilor is an Igbo man we don’t have light and our street is not tarred.” One day, Willy-Willy went to his shop and after staring at him for five minutes said “Bro Lukman, does your missing eye give you a headache?” Lukman planted his knuckles firmly on his head and he ran to tell his elder brother Castro. Castro is eighteen and always spoiling for a fight since he finished secondary school and could not pass his matriculation exams. He stormed into Lukman’s shop and started bouncing his willowy frame about and rolling his fists. Lukman, twenty-five, with a lifetime on the streets easily overpowered Castro. When they got separated, Castro grabbed a clipper with which he smashed a mirror and then ran out into the afternoon. Afterwards I convinced Lukman to buy an eye patch and turn his disability into a style. The first time he wore it and regarded himself in the mirror, his face opened into a broad smile and he said “as the American’s would say, this is badass!” He quickly grew a wicked moustache and bought a montera hat and pointed out to everyone how much he now resembled Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Kids now compare every bad guy in movies with Lukman.

It does not seem like the introduction of my neighbors will ever end if I continued. There are too many of them and each of them brings something different. You will have to meet them as my story moves along. But I must tell you about one more person.
The first thing my father said to me as I was leaving for Lagos was to stay away from girls if I wanted to make it in life. But each time I looked at Maya I knew I was going to disobey my father. I wonder why old people continue to spew out this trite wisdom, as if congress between a man and a woman was created in 2017. She is the second of three sisters and the dearest to her mother, Mama Tobi, whom I will tell you about another time. She is seventeen, only four years my junior, graceful as a peacock, with a voice as soft as melting honey. One day her mother said to her “Maya, I saw you looking at that new calabar boy and your eyes were dimming like somebody that drank ogogoro for the first time. Those people are dogs! Be warned!” When she told me, all I said to her was that “it’s a myth.” And her reply was “I know”.

TO BE CONTINUED.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by collinometricx: 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
tehilah92:
centino abeg wetin efe see na

E nor go pass alhaji ontop agbon wife
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by benpuzzy(m): 12:10am On Dec 28, 2018
You said Christmas update go be double, i only saw one update. Thanks for the Christmas gift @Centino
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Bluezy13(m): 5:37am On Dec 28, 2018
Centinooooooo

We are waiting impatiently o
But take all the time you want.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Timantech(m): 11:39am On Dec 28, 2018
Centino
Merry Christmas and happy New Year in advance
How about my Xmas gift
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by riclev: 3:57am On Dec 29, 2018
Mr centino, i've being on NL for sometime now just To read news and quit but stumbled on your articule on 26 Dec. (2days ago) And followed up till date. I must confessed i have not so much laughed like this that pple would just look at me and wonder, i dont blame them...your story is so intriguing that sometimes i get carried away to till after 2am. And force myself to sleep due some scary thoughts that come to my mind about those spiritual and night works of the witches...youre so good at it. I mean the characters are much but you place them so well. God bless your effort as your story has helped strengthened my BELIEF ON 3POINTS

1. JUST PRAY, GOD LISTENS.
2. WHEN YOU MAKE A STEP TOWARDS ANYTHING, BELIEVE WITH NO DOUBT
3. ALWAYS TRY TO STAND ON THE GROUND OF PURE MIND....

Merry christmas and new year in advance

12 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:10am On Dec 29, 2018
riclev:
Mr centino, i've being on NL for sometime now just To read news and quit but stumbled on your articule on 26 Dec. (2days ago) And followed up till date. I must confessed i have not so much laughed like this that pple would just look at me and wonder, i dont blame them...your story is so intriguing that sometimes i get carried away to till after 2am. And force myself to sleep due some scary thoughts that come to my mind about those spiritual and night works of the witches...youre so good at it. I mean the characters are much but you place them so well. God bless your effort as your story has helped strengthened my BELIEF ON 3POINTS

1. JUST PRAY, GOD LISTENS.
2. WHEN YOU MAKE A STEP TOWARDS ANYTHING, BELIEVE WITH NO DOUBT
3. ALWAYS TRY TO STAND ON THE GROUND OF PURE MIND....

Merry christmas and new year in advance

Nice to have you riclev. Comments like yours is the reason why I continue to write. Welcome aboard wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by riclev: 9:37am On Dec 29, 2018
Finally, guys i feel the pain about your comment of posting....but i realise 225 katakata street is worth waiting for
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by SparrowNet(m): 11:37am On Dec 29, 2018
Baba centino! Tnx for d christmas jellof... Waiting for the meat and drinks.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by BlessedNiel: 9:11pm On Dec 29, 2018
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!
Here at last.
Quite a a story you've got here.
Entertaining and enlightening at the same time.
Full of moral and inspiring messages.
I think you'll make a good life-coach Centino.
Kudos to you and more Grease to your elbow.
Less I forget Centino, take me along next time and reserve the front seat � for me please....
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by vosquare: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2018
sconp:
Centino is now global grin
We global now
Cheeeeee grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by haryomikun(m): 12:21am On Dec 30, 2018
vosquare:

We global now
Cheeeeee grin grin
Mumu so you dey here grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by haryomikun(m): 12:21am On Dec 30, 2018
sconp:
Centino is now global grin
So na sconp post this thing grin grin grin

Kill me
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:12am On Dec 30, 2018
THE ENCHANTEUR

“Alhaji Sirika, stark n*ked, knelt on the centre table and held a calabash on his head while Mrs Agbonyibo sucked his dick.”

“Jehovah!”

“Castro, na wetin I see be dat.”

“Na jazz be dat o”

“Some kind of ritual involving sex.”

“Jesu!”

“My heart nearly stopped.”

“Did they copulate? How did Alhaji manage that with his big stomach?”

“I tell you say I nearly pass out. The speed wey I take vamoose from there. If they knew I was there do you think I’d still be alive?”

“Devilish activity.”

“You know, Castro, while we thought Evae was fine. Her mother. She was in only bra and pant. Lawd!”

“But they are perverts! Person wife and mama! To the knowledge of all, for public compound!”

“Na true.”

“I will tell my dad.”

“Tell him.”

“Something untoward is happening and I don’t understand it.”

“We will not sit around and do nothing. Otherwise we go dey here our preek go begin loss one by one.”

“God forbid.”

Alhaji Sirika opened the door to meet Agbonyibo who had timed his return to perfection. He prostrated and Alhaji picked him up. Evae also went close and gave Alhaji a hug.

“Agbon-agbon! Agbon yanky! Agbon fine boy!”

“Yes Alhaji!”

For a brief moment, their eyes locked. They did not look at each other like landlord and tenant. They looked at each other like equals.

Agbonyibo handed the Alhaji something in a black nylon bag. The bag moved. Agbonyibo tapped it and it became still. Like all the others who come out of Agbonyibo’s clutching something, Alhaji Sirika hurried to his waiting jeep.

The taxi pulled up at the magnificent Enchanteur on the Island. Maya alighted and felt giddy at the sight of the splendour. She had been impressed by Fourpoint – at the time by far the best place she had been to, but the Enchanteur…the marbled walls, the greenery and golf course. As she took it all in, two chaperones appeared by her side and led her to the underground beauty parlour.

It was a small Asian woman with a warm smile and bright happy eyes that met her. “You have been booked for a 90minutes spa session ma’am, and I’m your masseur.” It began to feel like a dream. Like something from a movie.

“I’m sorry. I mean when, how?”

“Maya. You’re the beautiful Maya. Our instruction is to treat you like a queen. Now come.”

Now she was sure she was dreaming. They led her into the opulent parlor. It started with a sauna bath and then she was given a full body exfoliation with sea salt and Indian kama oil. Then her masseur, with fingers like a magician’s performed a lymph system massage to open her body before a Swedish massage. Then she performed traditional Chinese cupping on her back to draw out toxins, followed by a full body wrap with neem black clay. By the time lotion was applied on her, Maya had fallen into deep sleep like she had not experienced before. She awoke to the smiling face of her masseur.

“You needed that, beautiful Maya.”

“Sorry. I hope I didn’t waste your time?”

“No. If you did not fall asleep than I did not do a good job.”

“How long have I been asleep for?”

“Only two hours fourteen minutes.”

Maya flew from the massage table. “I should be home by now!”

“No you shouldn’t. You are booked for a three-day stay. And I have prepared you for him.”

“For whom?”

“Mr Jonjo. He meets you at the poolside restaurant in fifteen minutes. Please change into these” She handed Maya a black thigh-length sleeveless gown. “You are the most beautiful girl I have seen in Nigeria. He will never consider another when he puts his hands on you now.”

“Gentlemen, the other day Buhari flagged off his campaign in Uyo.”

“Why did he choose Uyo? Why didn’t he do it in Zamfara so that they shoot his dry ass.”

“They say the killings in Zamfara is politically motivated. The governor asked that the federal government declare a state of emergency in the state. He knows that if they do that, there will be no election there. APC do not want an election in the state because it does not have a candidate for the governorship election following the party’s faceoff with INEC.”

“So they kill, maim, kidnap because of that?”

“Yes. For power, they can do anything.”

“Atiku has promised to end the killings within weeks of being sworn in. He said he will send 30,000 soldiers to be stationed there. He said while APC sent that much soldiers to Ekiti and Ondo for elections, that he would do that to safeguard human lives.”

“Hmm story.”

“You don’t believe him?”

“They will say whatever they want to get votes. Imagine that they are still killing people before our eyes and Buhari was saying in Uyo that he has delivered on security. The way politicians lie, aswear I do not understand it.”

“Did you notice that he delivered some of his speech without prepared notes? Bubu means business this time.”

“He was not the one that delivered the speech that is why.”

“Who did?”

“Jubrin.”

“Not again!”

“We know what Bubu can do and we know what Jubrin can do.”

“That was the whole point of flagging off the campaign in a serene place like Uyo. People there would cheer everything. Where else should they have gone to? North East, Boko Haram. North West, the Zamfara killings. Middle belt, don’t even go there.”

“They could have also gone to the South East. Those ones are used to being lied to. Imagine that Boss Mustafa went there and told them to support Buhari for 2019 and Bubu would hand over to them in 2023. The following day Osibanjo went to the Alaafin’s palace and told the Yoruba to support his boss so that they will be handed over to in 2023. What kind of deception is that?”

“They are just using Osinbajo. Today he is in one place telling lies, tomorrow he is roasting boli under hot sun. The other day he entered a public barbing salon. Soon they will send him to follow LAWMA to go and pack sh*t.”

“The APC strategy sha…From the look of things, they are already telling Nigerians they will get 40 million votes. Imagine that in the last elections they won with 15 million votes. Now they said they had 19 million delegates for the primaries. And the notorious Miyetti Allah who are known killer herdsmen have promised 20 million votes! Do the math.”

“Did you hear that farmers contributed 1.7 billion naira for their campaign?”

“Farmers that cannot even afford fertilizer?”

“Ask me.”

“They seem to be overwhelming PDP. It is only Reno Omokri and Ben Bruce that are Twitting like parrots for Atiku.”

“Did you hear that Buhari’s family had majority shares in Keystone bank and Etisalat? Una Mr integrity.”

“They have come out to refute the claim.”

“Then why have those institutions failed to publish the names of its shareholders as challenged?”

“Abeg I don’t know. Me I know that Buhari owns more than the 150 cows he claims are all of his wealth.”

“Shagari is dead. He was 93.”

“Na so o. The man tried. What I don’t understand is Buhari paying tribute to him. You overthrew his democratically elected government and threw him in jail. He dies, you call him a Statesman and everything. E get as e be nau.”

“It is called politics.”

“Na wa o.”

Agbonyibo begged to leave the group. Mr Zubi addressed him.

“There is something I want to discuss with you privately Agbonyibo.”

“You can say it sir.”

“No. It is not for the council of elders. At least not yet.”

“Ok sir.”

“I will come to your room. Gentlemen” he said to the group. “Excuse me for a few minutes. I need to have a word with Agbonyibo.”

“Does Mama Willy-willy know you want to take a second wife?”

“Sharrap dia! Ewu Gambia.”

He was already at the table for two when the chaperones escorted her there. He was dressed in all white. White shirt with half the buttons open to expose his hairy chest and white trousers and a white hat.

“We are going for a boat cruise from here. I am a member of the Lagos boat club. For now, let me feed you.”

“Thanks for the body treatment and nice dress and everything. But I have to go at once.”

“But you only just got here.”

“No. I have been here more than three hours.”

Jonjo studied her.

“Okay. I will not compel you. But you should eat.” He beckoned the waiter over.

Maya checked her watch. She did not have the time for that. What if someone saw her? How could she betray Ndi like that? She thought of an excuse to leave and found it. “I need to get to the bank before they close. It’s quarter to five now. That means I have only fifteen minutes.”

“Why did you come Maya?”

“I don’t know. I was upset. I needed to get out at that moment. Please let me go.”

“My driver will take you. He will wait for you at the bank and take you home.”

“That is very kind sir but it will not be necessary.”

“Don’t be silly Maya.”

Maya thought about it. She would be carrying a huge sum of money and would need to do so safely. But how would she explain Jonjo’s car?

“You don’t need to say anything to Ndifreke if he sees you. If anything, he needs to know how quickly he would lose you if he continues to upset you.”

“He will not lose me.”

“A word of advice Maya.”

“Yes sir.”

“Never let a man feel he could never lose you.”

Maya thought about it and said “All right sir.”

“I have everything Maya. I can change your life.”

“You have done enough already sir.”

He shook his head and said “Alright then. In the event of trouble of any kind, always remember I am only a phone call away.”

“Okay sir.”

When she left, Jonjo kicked off his shoes and leaned back in the chair. It was always a matter of time. And time was one thing he had in abundance.

“Agbonyibo. Since you came to this compound, I have not had any cause to be concerned about you. Even though like everyone else I was a little taken aback by your daughter’s appearance the other day but that is okay, maybe it is the way you do those things in your place.”

“Yes sir. Na so.”

“Right. But something worries me. Please don’t be offended. My son Castro told me they saw something the day Alhaji Sirika the landlord came here.”

Agbonyibo did not flinch. The smile on his face did not fade.

“You see, it is not an easy thing to say. My son Castro is good for nothing. And his friend Irikefe is even worse. I should never take those two seriously but they swore with their lives that they saw what they claimed to see. I did not mention it at the council because it is very sensitive. I wanted to speak with you about it first.”

“Wetin dem see?”

“I cannot say it Agbonyibo. But it was not good.”

“Then forget about am. Na lie.”

Agbonyibo was still smiling. Then Mr Zubi remembered the vehemence with which Castro spoke. He had also sent for Irikefe who told him his story.

“I saw it myself sir.”

“You know this is not something you should play with. We are used to your pranks in this compound but coming up with a story like this will be taking things too far.”

“I swear with the grave of my unknown mother!”

“I will tell papa Efe.”

“You can tell him sir. I have not lied.”

Mr Zubi believed the boys, but Agbonyibo here was putting serious doubt in his mind.

“Agbonyibo. The boys saw the landlord and your wife in a compromised position, to put it mildly. You were said to have conveniently excused yourself from the room.”

“How him take see am?”

“He said he fitted a lens in your window. Actually, the window of this room when it belonged to someone else.”

“Make we go look the lens, abeg sir.”

They went out of the room and went round to the window. They both looked, Agbonyibo traced every inch of the window with his fingers and there was no lens, no opening, nothing like what Irikefe described. Mr Zubi attempted to peer through the net to see inside the room but he could not.

“You don see am now say those boys dey lie?”

“I don’t understand this Agbonyibo.”

“Come make we go back inside.”

Back in the room, Agbonyibo maintained his smile and courtesy to the chagrin of Mr Zubi.

“Well, Agbonyibo, I guess I should say sorry. The boys are never up to any good. I am happy I did not bring it up at the council of elders. I would have embarrassed your family.”

“I no dey embarrass at all. Everywhere I go, people dey talk about me. Every day, Agbonyibo do this, Agbonyibo do that, small time now you go hear another thing. But make you no mind them.”

“Alright. You are a good man. Thank you for giving me your time.”

“No problem at all. But make you never go. Eyonyam!” he called to his wife.

Eyonyam answered and entered the room and genuflected before Mr Zubi.

“Bring drink for oga Zubi.”

“Okay”

“You don’t need to worry Agbonyibo. I am not a stranger in your home. I am erm fine”

His eyes were on Eyonyam as he spoke. She had used a white shawl as wrapper and was not wearing any top. It was short and gauzy and clearly showed her panties. Agbonyibo followed his eyes and chuckled when Mr Zubi swallowed hard at the point Eyonyam bent in front of their tabletop fridge.

“Erm Mr Agbonyibo. I mean Agbonyibo, you know, erm, I should be going.”

“You don be with Togo woman before?”

“Erm what do you mean Agbonyibo?”

Agbonyibo continued to watch him. Mr Zubi stood but his knees were too weak to support him so he plumped back in the seat. He was perspiring now because he saw the shawl fall off Eyonyam’s body and he could not take his eyes off her near nudity.

“I dey come. I wan go bring something for shop.”

With that, Agbonyibo left Mr Zubi in the room alone with Eyonyam.

The Lexus RX 400 pulled up and Maya alighted clutching a black bag. She hurriedly jumped the gutter and entered the compound without giving the driver a second look. She went straight to her room and found her mother in the armchair dozing. She was alert as soon as she smelled her perfume.

“Where have you been? You left without a word! Even the Calabar boy came here.”

“Where is he?”

“He has left of course.”

Maya placed the bag she was carrying on her lap and said, “This is the money mum. Do not disappoint me.”

“Ha. But you said it was tomorrow that you were bringing it.”

“I changed my mind and went for it today.”

Mama Tobi was now on her feet. “My daughter. My jewel. Child of my youth.” Then she began to sing and cry at the same time.

“It’s okay mama. It is the least you deserve for everything you have done for me. Use it well. Create the wealth you said you will create.”

“I will create it. The Federal Government will hear of my exploits.”

“Amen.”

She watched her mother lift her mattress and put the money under it.

“First thing tomorrow morning I will go and do all I said I will do with it. One naira I will not spend on any frivolities. I have suffered enough. My life must change.”

“Indeed it must.”

Maya thought of going to look for Ndifreke but changed her mind. She switched on her phones instead. They made multiple beeping sounds once they had finished booting and she knew they were all messages from him. She ignored it all. If he really wanted to see her, he would come looking for her again.

Maya spent the rest of the evening talking with her mother. Mama Tobi had never been so happy. She told stories from her childhood and stories her own parents had told her. They spoke about everything under the sun. Then at bedtime, Mama Tobi invited Maya to share the bed with her. Tobi and Clementina slept on the floor.

The night was not different from any other night on Katakata Street. Generators still blared from all around. There were the occasional noises on the corridor when someone went to the toilet. They slept as soundly as they always did until mama Tobi sensed unusual movement in the room. As she turned to investigate, a strong hand covered her mouth and pressed her to the bed. She could not tell what was happening to Maya or her other children but she could tell that someone was searching for something around her bed. Then with the swiftness of an arrow, the intruder released her and shot out of the room before she could gather herself and turn on the light.

She rushed to where she kept the money Maya had given her and saw that it was empty.

Then she let out an earth-shattering wail.

TO BE CONTINUED

31 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.