Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,343 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (21352 Views)

Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 7:45am On Jul 03, 2017
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by saajus: 7:45am On Jul 03, 2017
Don't be pressured by your dad. You are 28 years old not a kid. Before I drop my piece of advice, can you answer all these questions.

what do you want in the long run?
Do you think the MSc will advance your career?
Are you really doing the job you wanted?
What's your position in that bank?
Do you have a girlfriend/fiancee that you are planning to marry?
Do you have scholarship/Assistanship or you are planning to pay for the Masters in Canada?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Dotmax53: 7:46am On Jul 03, 2017
having your Msc in canada is a great move. You will certainly get greater paying job faster if you decide coming back to Naija. Most Employers in Nigeria believe those who studied abroad got all it takes. Better run for ur life to canada
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Flintstone06(m): 7:46am On Jul 03, 2017
Well, I think your worry here is about your boo you intend to settle down with next year. Please go there and complete your MSc, you can get a good job there after your MSc and even during the program.

Don't be held back coz of your boo.. She can join you later or you come back for her after your program. The country is too bleeped for you to stay back. Your bank job is guaranteed also.

Wish you all the best bro.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by CzarChris(m): 7:46am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.
OP, can you get a study leave from your place of work, even if it's without pay?
But seriously, guy quit letting your parents plan your life for, be a man, make your own decisions and stand by them, you're 28 years for crying out loud.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by seun70(m): 7:47am On Jul 03, 2017
It is indeed a good decision your dad is making. Not just advising you to go for your Masters programme but choosing Canada.

Canada would definitely give you the opportunity to get work experience after your studies and you could get an employer that might want to retain you during and after the work experience.

TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by keko14: 7:47am On Jul 03, 2017
when your daddy is there which kind job search, my advice is go for master. and pls am looking for job just tell your boss you get replacement

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Twinkle004(f): 7:47am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Although am not a career adviser but must you travel abroad to have your Msc. Moreso if you have to travel abroad what are the kind of financial preparations have you made for yourself. Think about it well. Also there are some courses on Msc that allows part time depending on which one you want to go for. Above all pray for God's direction

2 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Reggae112(m): 7:48am On Jul 03, 2017
Be strong going to abroad can't stop your relationship.as for me I will prefer you to go for MSC.wish you the best
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by twf1: 7:48am On Jul 03, 2017
Your challenge can never be getting a job! A family buoyant enought to push u for MSC in Canada is equally strong enough to get u a job when u come back with an msc degree. This is naija my guy. Connection is everything, and from what I sense, u gat it All! Good luck

3 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by admindim: 7:49am On Jul 03, 2017
good decision
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by babaskool(m): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

let me guess is your wife to be currently training to be a lawyer too
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by eseh1(f): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2017
Taking decisions like this can be very difficult cos of the fear of the future, What If.... but the truth is opportunities and living in Canada is far better. Bank job aint Oil and gas ...Alot of my colleagues are all aspiring to get into Canada. Explain and carry your gf along in your plans. She could further her own studies over there too u kno...both of you starting your life in Canada will create a better future for your kids.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by layzie: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2017
What course are you going to Canada for? Is it something applicable to your banking career? If yes, take a study leave without pay and go. If they won't grant the leave, still go. You will be better off.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mevisbleek: 7:54am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

I'm in Canada, left my Zenith bank job to come for a masters here in 2009. Yes, I would advise you leave your bank job. You can easily get a banking job here but you would need so write some exams to enable you sell investments job market is pretty stiff over here at the moment, be prepared to struggle for a couple of years. Stop asking for advise on here, just go with what your mind tells you to do.

Anywayz, as a dude starting up in a branch as a financial service rep they pay like $45k before Gst. You can earn more if you go into commercial banking. As an intern I made $51,500 at a bank handling small business customers. From marketing in naija to marketing here, lol.

I don abandon banking years ago sha. Anywayz, Good luck.

10 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Depending on the position in the bank you occupy and the salary you get. If you're getting a salary of 200-250K monthly or more, i'll advise you to keep the job, save /get loans to establish your self. There are lots of ppl out thr with Msc in whatever still looking for jobs. Some of my colleagues have Msc but they had to take it off their CV to be employable. But on the other side, if you're a hustler, you can quit the job, go to Canada or where ever in the disguise of Msc, hustle and come back to establish ur own business.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by nengiscrib: 7:55am On Jul 03, 2017
Let me answer the best I can.
Not too long ago Canada opened its doors wide to accepts immigrants, and the head in charge (can't remember his name) said Canada needs people and especially young skilled workers and students (undergrads and postgrads).

Jobs are available in Canada, u need to have the mind set of remaining in Canada if u happen to go there, u need to make contacts with people and research on the Internet the possibility of remaining there and getting a job.

If your degree relates with your current experience it will be even better, ie if u studied finance, accounting, business information systems, economics, business administration, business studies etc, then adding a masters degree plus job experience will definitely increase ur chances if getting a job in Canada.

Bur if u have a degree other than that, two things come into play, are u willing to follow the path of ur experience now ie switching degree in masters or about to continue the path of ur undergrad, continuing on ur experience path will be better off I believe but that's just my opinion.
Either way Canada provides more opportunities so that shouldn't be an issue, just make sure u put ur head nose leg everything u have on ground to get information on how to stay back there even if it means doing some short course so u can extend ur stay to a certain requirements and / or getting a job.

I know lots of people that went to Canada for undergrads and masters, only one of them is in Nigeria now.

In conclusion if u a thinking or willing to come back to Nigeria after your masters, then don't go to Canada stay back in Nigeria with your job in your pocket. There is no need.

Cheers

8 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mokset123: 7:56am On Jul 03, 2017
The comment before mine has done justice to the issue you face, let me lend my voice also

Boss go for your masters in Canada. While you are there think of how you would get a job, settle down and get your resident papers

Don't bother coming to nigeria except your father has a lucrative job waiting for you.

As for your girl friend sit her down and have a good talk. If she can wait for you to get your feet in Canada or better still you guys break up.

You are talking about your future here. Lastly your father knows what he is saying take him serious and start pursing your Msc admission in canada

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by chineduemmao: 7:59am On Jul 03, 2017
eseh1:
Taking decisions like this can be very difficult cos of the fear of the future, What If.... but the truth is opportunities and living in Canada is far better. Bank job aint Oil and gas ...Alot of my colleagues are all aspiring to get into Canada. Explain and carry your gf along in your plans. She could further her own studies over there too u kno...both of you starting your life in Canada will create a better future for your kids.
if he goes with his gf will he concentrate?... I doubt.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by TeamSimple(m): 8:00am On Jul 03, 2017
Please don't come back to Nigeria after you finish your Msc.

4 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 8:02am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
Why allow your father to decide for you? You are matured enough to take decisions like this.

A lady sold her house and other properties and travelled to to Canada few years ago. She's back in Nigeria broke.
I'm not saying that will be your case.
his father is older than him & want the best out of life for him, theres no job security for masters degree holders in Nigeria not to talk of ordinary BSc.
@d bolded, you better interview that ya friend wetin she go do Canada abi she think sey dem dey pick money for street of Canada

4 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 8:04am On Jul 03, 2017
sammieguze:
hmmmmm
personally I would say a bird in hand is worth two in the forest.
even MSC from Oxford university won't guarantee anybody any employment in Nigeria at the moment except such individual has the long leg to go with it

before you take that leap, ask yourself...
will you still come back and look for job or you can obtain residency over there?

if the MSC is just to obtain chieftaincy title only to come back and start searching for work again, please reconsider o
again, for the period, you won't be working. can you afford to live on your savings and people's good will for the time being without it affecting your primary objective?

in simple terms, going is a good idea if residency and a job is assured upon completion
gaskia
well said
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 8:04am On Jul 03, 2017
jjjjj2017:
his father is older than him & want the best out of life for him, theres no job security for masters degree holders in Nigeria not to talk of ordinary BSc.
@d bolded, you better interview that ya friend wetin she go do Canada abi she think sey dem dey pick money for street of Canada
At 28 the dad should let him be.
You find me come here abi?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 8:06am On Jul 03, 2017
OlowoB:
@TD4real

Try and go for MSC that will be at least 18 months and above and you can get extra 3 years visa to work in Canada and may even be apply for residency if you are lucky. Bank job is not that relatable, get an MSC, invite your lover over to Canada and then start a life there.

On the flip side, I think the reason you do not want to leave naija is cos of your lover.... my boryher think with your head o, don't use emotions. Secure your future.
God bless you for this wonderful contribution.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 8:07am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
At 28 the dad should let him be. You find me come here abi?
yes nah, abi u no like am ni? grin grin grin
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:07am On Jul 03, 2017
So if you go Canada you go come back undecided ?

Something is wrong with your destiny

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 8:09am On Jul 03, 2017
jjjjj2017:
yes nah, abi u no like am ni? grin grin grin
I dey low key tongue
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
Why allow your father to decide for you? You are matured enough to take decisions like this.

A lady sold her house and other properties and travelled to to Canada few years ago. She's back in Nigeria broke.
I'm not saying that will be your case.
anyone that can sell a house to go abroad is stupid and under some external influence. You can't expect that person to come back a millionaire.

4 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by rockyh(m): 8:09am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

my single advice is don't quit ur job unless u at gotten ur Canadian visa cos getting it is like fetching water with a basket

3 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Kakamorufu(m): 8:10am On Jul 03, 2017
at least you have a dad who dosent want you to rely only on your bachelor degree. Abeg go to Canada oooo.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by kings09(m): 8:12am On Jul 03, 2017
At 28 n u r seeking dis kind of advice from NL? Dont u hv mature n smart friends u can talk to? Abi which kain fiction be dis
TD4real:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Good For A Boss To Slap An Employee / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker / BREAKING: Angry Workers Shut Down La Casera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.