Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (21353 Views)

Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by clemtony(m): 8:12am On Jul 03, 2017
dear Mr OP, ow guarantee is ur banking job in 9ja? pple are looking for this ur problem and u r here exaggerating. my advice is there are more opportunity over there than here. all u might be thinking about here is how to spend the money but over there ur thought will always be to expand and develop urself. if ur father is there to support, plzzzzzzzz kindly go ahead with his advice and help urself.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 03, 2017
If your babe is your problem. Bro, you don't need more than 500k to get married. We waste a lot doing wedding. Arrange a small court wedding with loved ones. Thats gone. You have the best advices already. A Master with 3 years experience can put you in an assistant manager position. It's like 5 years experience already. Just go for it, you are still young. The country of choice is a very good place too. The finance industry is easy to get in all over the world. If you wish to come back to Nigeria, have a good relationship with your present bosses. They may be able to get you back into the company.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by TemmyTee82(f): 8:15am On Jul 03, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
Good move.
Good move,
Good move,
Considering that you are still an unconfirmed contract staff.
NwaAmaikpe!!! Hian! shocked
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by czaratwork: 8:19am On Jul 03, 2017
When you are done with your masters, you will have 2 years work permit which will help you integrate into the system. Dont even think twice about going for your masters in Canada. Besides there is no job security in the banking sector
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hustla(m): 8:24am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.

Lol better carry your ass to Canada and don't come back
The bank can decide to sack you tmr and nothng will happen.. Talk to your gf, leaving for Canada doesn't mean you won't come back and it doesn't mean you'll die there. That same gf will dump you without thinking twice if you get sacked and become broke

If you plan it well, you'll get your residency provided you studied a make sense course for MSc and she can later join you, a win win situation for both of you

Visit the Canada thread and you'll learn a lot from people who are already there or intending to leave
Leave naija if you can, for your kids at least, you can still come back to naija after getting your citizenship

2 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by lollyberry: 8:24am On Jul 03, 2017
How i wish i have this type of opportunity you call a problem. Hmmmmmm, life sha, it is well.

As for me i willl never think twice before leaving the job

Canada is the best place to be now apart from USA

You can easily get ur permanent resident
Just make sure u spend 3 years in the counttry so you could qualify for post studies work permit

my brother please pick race and go sharp sharp

But dont forget ur girl ,,u can as well process her SWOP once u get to canada so that she cud join you but that can only be possible if u re married to her

U can as well go to court so as to have the document to process her travelling and later come back for the proper wedding. Just saying thus because i wuold not want you to just go and keep her waiting or even breaking
Up because my brother girl too plenty for there oooooo and it wont be nice if u waste her time

because our time are precious undecided undecided

also visit Travelling to canada on the travel page for more info

I have gotten lots of info from their and once i have the enough cash to process my travel, i will pick race with my fanily

2 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hustla(m): 8:24am On Jul 03, 2017
czaratwork:
When you are done with your masters, you will have 2 years work permit which will help you integrate into the system. Dont even think twice about going for your masters in Canada. Besides there is no job security in the banking sector

3 years pgwp
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by onlysam01: 8:24am On Jul 03, 2017
Since you plan on going to Canada, just start the process of job application for a bank job over there, its pretty easy, since you already have more than the minimum experience required, it would pay you in the long run...just try and write a professional exam, depending on ur department in the bank...it's easy bro. Wish you the best.

TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by davillian(m): 8:26am On Jul 03, 2017
Go do your masters there
If possible get a job there
And return when the country has been divided.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jfleece(m): 8:27am On Jul 03, 2017
My friend pls u Berra leave dis fvvked up Country, there's nothing in naija... I repeat run!!!!!!! May the prayers of our father's never be in vain.

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by LordKO(m): 8:30am On Jul 03, 2017
One who lives on others opinion is as good as a dead person. . . This doesn't mean that one shouldn't seek for advise and make decisions based on other people's reasonable opinions.

@OP, believe you me, your major problems are; you're not self-willed, thus the reason why you're more concerned about what others think and your high regards to their dictates. Secondly, you haven't achieved self-realization yet. . . Because connotation of your message points to a man who doesn't know yet what he really wants.

Try to defined yourself first, and prudentially map out your needs, then make your decision on that basis.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hustla(m): 8:32am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
Why allow your father to decide for you? You are matured enough to take decisions like this.

A lady sold her house and other properties and travelled to to Canada few years ago. She's back in Nigeria broke.
I'm not saying that will be your case.

Lol a lady, a friends friend, my brothers uncles friend

Blah blah

Na lie

It's people who traveled with no plan that things like that happen to, people like that just 'want to go and Hustle' and they end up disappointed.

Others sit down and plan long term, for say 2 years before even traveling, weighing their options, plus the pros and cons

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by MrHyde: 8:33am On Jul 03, 2017
I was faced with the same problem 2 years ago, I chose to stay back in Nigeria, married last year and still working.
Now the question is, do you intend to come back?
If yes, then you should start up a business that would be able to sustain you and your wife when you come back and you should have at least done introduction before you leave, except ofcourse you don't love her enough to marry her.
If you intend to remain in Canada, then be ready to start all over which is actually very cool as its Canada (I have friends there) but your fiance should be ready to wait sometime as you would have to settle down over there before you bring her.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by TheAlchemist: 8:35am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
Why allow your father to decide for you? You are matured enough to take decisions like this.

A lady sold her house and other properties and travelled to to Canada few years ago. She's back in Nigeria broke.
I'm not saying that will be your case.

@Oyindidi I find your story hard to believe.

My advice to the OP, Young man if you love yourself i hope you have started packing your bags for your trip to the land of equality, opportunities and society that rewards hard work. With all the political uncertainties plaguing Nigeria... I dont think you will ever regret relocating. Who knows perhaps your son or daughter born in Canada is destined to become the next prime minister of
Canada, dont worry no rotation clause or zoning formula will prevent the best mind from getting elected to the highest political office in Canada.
I had the opportunity to also relocate with my family, i had even started the process... was even attending french class, then i lost the right path, did a 360 degree turn around, saw a lovely self serviced shopping mall, that seemed just too perfect, operators of the mall promised so much, i decided to invest and forgo my relocation plan what a grave mistake.. The operators of the mall never delivered on their promises, the installed generator is hardly functional, the facility is poorly maintained, if there is no light how do you render services to your customer because my business model virtually depends on constant electricity! Sometimes i feel i was bewitched along the line.. that is how bad my decision to stay in the country has turned out to be...
Remember Nigeria in your prayers in Canada... Bon Voyage!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 8:39am On Jul 03, 2017
hustla:

Lol a lady, a friends friend, my brothers uncles friend

Blah blah

Na lie

It's people who traveled with no plan that things like that happen to, people like that just 'want to go and Hustle' and they end up disappointed.

Others sit down and plan long term, for say 2 years before even traveling, weighing their options, plus the pros and cons
I don't want to tell the full story cos someone very close to her is a nlder
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 8:39am On Jul 03, 2017
TheAlchemist:

@Oyindidi I find your story hard to believe.

My advice to the OP, Young man if you love yourself i hope you have started packing your bags for your trip to the land of equality, opportunities and society that rewards hard work. With all the political uncertainties plaguing Nigeria... I dont think you will ever regret relocating. Who knows perhaps your son or daughter born in Canada is destined to become the next prime minister of
Canada, dont worry no rotation clause or zoning formula will prevent the best mind from getting elected to the highest political office in Canada.
I had the opportunity to also relocate with my family, i had even started the process... was even attending french class, then i lost the right path, did a 360 degree turn around, saw a lovely self serviced shopping mall, that seemed just too perfect, operators of the mall promised so much, i decided to invest and forgo my relocation plan what a grave mistake.. The operators of the mall never delivered on their promises, the installed generator is hardly functional, the facility is poorly maintained, if there is no light how do you rendered services to your customer because my business model virtually depends on constant electricity! Sometimes i feel i was bewitched along the line.. that is how bad my decision to stay in the country has turned out to be...
Remember Nigeria in your prayers in Canada... Bon Voyage!
it happened dear
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hustla(m): 8:41am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
I don't want to tell the full story cos someone very close to her is a nlder

She probably Didn't plan well
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by niyogeol(m): 8:43am On Jul 03, 2017
@Op,

Your case is not strange. Many people find themselves in this situation from time to time.

Are you a permanent staff? Is your take home average considering Nigeria normal take home package? Answering these questions will avail you more input from others here.

Is your career in tandem with the bank job? If yes, I will implore you to continue with your job while you launch the Canada application process. Canada application process takes a little time to come through, and you will need money to pull it through. From paying admission application fee, visa application fee, medicals, police report, flight tickets et al. All these require money, so continue with your job, save, save and save; while you await favourable response from CiC.

At 28, you are still in your prime and open to many opportunities that international studies hold. Don't allow relationship be one of the factors to ponder on in this decision making process of yours. If she is yours, she will wait.

Like I said earlier, start the Canada application process first. When it pulls through is when you have a decision to make. Canada also has good post study visa for international students. For now, stop being apprehensive of the future and face your job.

Goodluck.

5 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 8:43am On Jul 03, 2017
hustla:

She probably Didn't plan well
Yeah, the husband finished all she had set up in naija.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by sebeydiah(m): 8:44am On Jul 03, 2017
Canada is one of the best place in the world so if u study there and also working it will be good idea and wen u finish u can process permanent stay bcuz Nigeria is not ok,abt ur girlfriend u can shift the wedding
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by na2016: 8:44am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Bro, go for your MSc in Canada and try to get a befitting job and settle there. That banking job isn't sustainable, anything can happen at anytime in Nigeria. If your girlfriend cannot wait for you or go with you to Canada, forget her.
Your success in life should be paramount and not a woman who can even dump you before next year!
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by slawomir: 8:45am On Jul 03, 2017
3Dobserver:
The poster below must hv smtin to say.. I only came here to read comments

Av changed my mind.. I wud suggest you take study leave from your bank.. All banks have dat package
there are terms and conditions for such study leave to be granted. it would have been easy assuming it was a government job. even if it is a government job still you must meet their condition first.
am a uniben staff. before you get such, your appointment must have been regularized and confirmed. after that you are entitled to a two year study leave with pay or without pay.
I will advice he save money and start the process of traveling to Canada slow and steady. bank job is not a life time job. they can do and undo at any time. I mean they can sack their workers anytime they want.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hustla(m): 8:49am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
Yeah, the husband finished all she had set up in naija.

embarassed cry
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by erico2k2(m): 8:51am On Jul 03, 2017
sammieguze:
hmmmmm
personally I would say a bird in hand is worth two in the forest.
even MSC from Oxford university won't guarantee anybody any employment in Nigeria at the moment except such individual has the long leg to go with it

before you take that leap, ask yourself...
will you still come back and look for job or you can obtain residency over there?

if the MSC is just to obtain chieftaincy title only to come back and start searching for work again, please reconsider o
again, for the period, you won't be working. can you afford to live on your savings and people's good will for the time being without it affecting your primary objective?

in simple terms, going is a good idea if residency and a job is assured upon completion
gaskia
We have to stop thinking like this, people who know nobody are getting Jobs still especially in the private sector think Dangote will employ an SSCE school leaver to someone with masters in Human resources from teh Uk just cos the SSCE man is from his village?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by onatisi(m): 9:05am On Jul 03, 2017
mjbaba:
You're going to Canada. The best place to be right now. Be smart. Dont come back!
God bless you
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by onatisi(m): 9:07am On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

We have to stop thinking like this, people who know nobody are getting Jobs still especially in the private sector think Dangote will employ an SSCE school leaver to someone with masters in Human resources from teh Uk just cos the SSCE man is from his village?
Na you get time ,let them keep deceiving themselves.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 03, 2017
Canada i heard its a very nice place, please if you decide to stay with ur girlfriend in Nigeria, pass me that MSC opportunity, i will go do it sharp sharp
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Shukran(f): 9:14am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Are you asking this question? Moving to Canada as student you can work up 6hours a day and that you can make up to $300 to $500 a week and do you know how much you will get in a month after paying your bills. And get your masters in Canada you are eligible to apply for work permit after school.
When you get your work permit, you are eligible to go with your dependants such as spouse, kids or parents.

For your permanent resident to Canada inbox me

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 9:16am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
I dey low key tongue
nothing do u mamaa mama
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Charlssey(m): 9:18am On Jul 03, 2017
MSc, PhD...all for what? Are they not all for cash sake? To get an employment? I'd say it depends on how secure your bank job is. If you're a regularised staff, I'd say grow your career. hold on to your job cos many masters degree holders are still searching for years for one. You could develop yourself other ways, maybe do a masters with NOUN or online.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Oyindidi(f): 9:19am On Jul 03, 2017
jjjjj2017:
nothing do u mamaa mama
kiddy kiddy, nothing does youtongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Good For A Boss To Slap An Employee / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker / BREAKING: Angry Workers Shut Down La Casera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.