Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... (2409 Views)

The Shortest Route To Restructuring Of Nigeria / Atiku Is More Acceptable To Nigerians Than Buhari –Senator Amori / Before Vs Now: El-rufai On Restructuring Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 9:54am On Jul 03, 2017
For the prosperity, peace, security, equity, economics, political stability and conflicts free co-existence of Nigeria nation.
The restructure of Nigeria nation is possible in only one way and this will automatically resolved the antagonism of the nation.
Here were the modifications possible that will not gear another uprising agitation:
Although the regions had been abolish since 70's but till date, it's uses is still persistent, people use it for Identification, the politicians and political party uses it for political arrangements and had turn to political tools either to stabilize the polity or to destabilize Nigeria Nation.
i. As far as we can't return to Regionalism with out been plunged into another crises, we can simply erased this imaginary Norther, Southern, Eastern and Western regions mentality that separate Nigeria nation than United Us.
ii. The adoption of Western and Eastern Region(18 states in each region), that will Regionalize Nigeria in two equal Regions Western and Eastern
iii. leave Nigeria states as they are...36 states.
iv. Add two Zones to the 6 Zones(= 8 Zones, 4 zones in each region) we have actually...the North central will be shared into two...West central(states; Kwara, Niger, Kogi and FTC) and East central(Benue, Taraba, Nassarawa, Plateau)
Also The South South will be shared into two...South west(Edo, Delta, Bayelsa) and South east(Rivers,Akwaibon, Cross rivers)
v. The South west will be rename West and the South east will be rename East.
With is Restructured Everything that's dread locked to Nigeria nation had been Regions and Zones Equally into Western and Eastern Region
Religious, Resources, states, Zones almost everything is Regionalized equally.
Opinions are welcome!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 10:09am On Jul 03, 2017
I have a workable solution to the restructuring problem. Nigeria should be restructured into 6 regions with referendum conducted along contiguous areas to determine where they chose to belong. Like kwara, part of Kogi, part of Delta etc. Thereafter we should collapse all states within a particular region into what will be called provinces so we end up with 6 provinces. For a start, each region should keep 20% of what it generates today wholly for itself and 80 contributed to central purse. The 80 percent contributed to Federal purse. Only 20 to 30% should be kept at the federal level for things like Military, Foreign Affairs, Interior (eg prison), Judiciary, Unicameral federal legislator etc. The remaining 80% should be shared to the various regions. 50% of it should be strictly based on population while the remaining 50% should be based on percentage contribution. but here is the catch, The amount contributed by each region from regional generation should reduce every year by 1% for the next 30yrs. Such that in 30yrs time each region will keep 50% of what it generates while only 50% is contributed to the centre. Each region will still get a share of the 50% contributed to the centre after it is shared on basis of population and contribution. Again representation at the centre should be based 50% on population and 50% on financial contribution. Since nobody wants to be dominated, everyone will strive to develop economically so that they will have fair representation in the federal parliament.

2 Likes

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by Dereformer(m): 10:26am On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:
I have a workable solution to the restructuring problem. Nigeria should be restructured into 6 regions with referendum conducted along contiguous areas to determine where they chose to belong. Like kwara, part of Kogi, part of Delta etc. Thereafter we should collapse all states within a particular region into what will be called provinces so we end up with 6 provinces. For a start, each region should keep 20% of what it generates today wholly for itself and 80 contributed to central purse. The 80 percent contributed to Federal purse. Only 20 to 30% should be kept at the federal level for things like Military, Foreign Affairs, Interior (eg prison), Judiciary, Unicameral federal legislator etc. The remaining 80% should be shared to the various regions. 50% of it should be strictly based on population while the remaining 50% should be based on percentage contribution. but here is the catch, The amount contributed by each region from regional generation should reduce every year by 1% for the next 30yrs. Such that in 30yrs time each region will keep 50% of what it generates while only 50% is contributed to the centre. Each region will still get a share of the 50% contributed to the centre after it is shared on basis of population and contribution. Again representation at the centre should be based 50% on population and 50% on financial contribution. Since nobody wants to be dominated, everyone will strive to develop economically so that they will have fair representation in the federal parliament.

I disagree. Nothing should be based on population. You want to further explode the population of Nigeria? In fact, the region with the least population should get highest percentage so that all region will strive to control births.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:32am On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:
Lekan,
this can't work!
why?
80% is not equal!
80% of oil region, that can be billions, can't be compared to the 80% of the non- oil region!
and the agitation for inequality will continue!
if my region give billion and have million in return can I satisfy?
may be you have been hearing of resources control
work out another system, this will end us in canard.

2 Likes

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 10:36am On Jul 03, 2017
Dereformer:

I disagree. Nothing should be based on population. You want to further explode the population of Nigeria? In fact, the region with the least population should get highest percentage so that all region will strive to control births.

Whichever way you look at it. You cannot turn democracy on its head. Democracy is all about the people. I have given this a deep thought. In the end if every region can control 50% of it revenue and get exactly 25% of its contribution on the basis of percentage contribution. Indirectly you control at least 75% of your revenue. Infact of the remaining 25% you will still get something on the basis of your population. This in my opinion is the only workable solution as it will make everyone sit tight and try to contribute something to the centre.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 10:39am On Jul 03, 2017
moninuola65:

Lekan,
this can't work!
why?
80% is not equal!
80% of oil region, that can be billions, can't be compared to the 80% of the non- oil region!
and the agitation for inequality will continue!
if my region give billion and have million in return can I satisfy?
may be you have been hearing of resources control
work out another system, this will end us in canard.

I will make a spreadsheet and you will see what I am saying. I understand most people cannot conceptualise this.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:53am On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:

I will make a spreadsheet and you will see what I am saying. I understand most people cannot conceptualise this.
ok.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2017
Find attached pictures of what the finances would be like after 1, 5, 10, 20 and 30 years.

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 12:35pm On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:
[img][/img]
you cn edit your image!
nothing is shown here:
you can read he map above for better understanding.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 12:44pm On Jul 03, 2017
Find attached 30th year scenario

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 12:53pm On Jul 03, 2017
The number of years after restructuring is in red. You need to bear in mind that this whole thing is based on assumptions. A WHOLE LOT OF ASSUMPTIONS. If you looks closely, it appears the money given to Northern states did not reduce over the 30yrs but the one to SS, SW and SE increased marginally. This is simply because over the years the plan is to reduce money going to central govt and to make provinces to control their wealth the more as we progress into restructuring. It will be interesting to see if all provinces in South should increase their revenue generation by *10 while Northern Provinces increased theirs by *5. The situation will look as depicted below.

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 1:01pm On Jul 03, 2017
If you look at the last picture, South grew economies by *10 each while North grew by *5. In this scenarios Southern provinces benefited the most from the growth even though the Norther provinces also benefited from the Southern growth but not to the same extent that the province that generated the wealth benefited. This way, it makes everyone wanna work hard because you will be the primary beneficiary. With the above scenario, The Nothern provinces got from the Central redistribution system more than they contributed that is a way of helping the more disadvantageous provinces. You know this model makes sure a leaner central govt is financed by 20% of all regional contribution while 80% is shared in accordance with population and how much you contributed in the first place.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 1:07pm On Jul 03, 2017
Let us say within the 30years one Northern province increased it population by *2. How will that change the last scenario. Say NW wanna play population game it doubles its population the situation will look as painted below. NW gets more money but not overwhelmingly.

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 1:11pm On Jul 03, 2017
This will engender competition such that everybody will strive to create wealth so that there will be more to share in the first place. If you look at Nigeria everyone wanna claim to be the best that is why you see Igbo vs Yoruba acrimony every now and then. If paradigm changes such that you will be as wealthy as the wealth you create. Our leaders will get back to the drawing board.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2017
Lekan!
you try, as a good citizen of Nigeria.
Now if you go through this estimate figures, you will see it confirmed what I said earlier.
people were agitating that the federal government is cheating them, they want to control what they have. with your proposition those who have right to generate revenue for themselves and have additional from federal govern is not satisfy, can such a person satisfy to hold 20% out of what he generate and waiting for the return of certain percentage of 80% he sent from center?
Should Nigeria rely on the provinces to generate resources for her survival, be sure that Nigeria can not survive for a month.
Also Nigeria problems is not only economics but political and social, if you go back to my post above, you will see how it solved the economics, social and political problems of Nigeria!
although I appreciate your efforts.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
moninuola65:
Lekan!
you try, as a good citizen of Nigeria.
Now if you go through this estimate figures, you will see it confirmed what I said earlier.
people were agitating that the federal government is cheating them, they want to control what they have. with your proposition those who have right to generate revenue for themselves and have additional from federal govern is not satisfy, can such a person satisfy to hold 20% out of what he generate and waiting for the return of certain percentage of 80% he sent from center?
Should Nigeria rely on the provinces to generate resources for her survival, be sure that Nigeria can not survive for a month.
Also Nigeria problems is not only economics but political and social, if you go back to my post above, you will see how it solved the economics, social and political problems of Nigeria!
although I appreciate your efforts.

You see, as it stands now, people have no control whatsoever from what is generated from their region. The FG looms large, the FG collects all of the collectable revenue and keeps 55% for itself in Abuja redistribute the remaining on the basis of Population, landmass and number of local government that exist. As it stands nobody is thinking of any form of wealth creation because FG will take it all, it is just like you are creating wealth for the rest of the Nation to share without significant gains to you the creator of the wealth. If you look at my proposal closely. In 30yrs time, regions will take 50% of what they generate while remaining 50% is contributed to centre. From there you will get nothing less than 50% of what you contributed to the centre in the first place. Remember, part of 50% you contributed will be used to run a leaner Federal government. This in my opinion will solve agitation problem and everyone will focus on creating wealth because they get to keep at least 75% of what they generate. If you can keep 75% of what you generate, I don't know why any reasonable person will complain again. I suggested that 80% be contributed to centre in year 1 because we are coming from position of 100% contribution to centre and we decrease contribution to centre by 1% every year for the next 30 years. So that in year 30 after financial restructuring you contribute 50% of your regional generation to centre in which you get some back. You need to bear in mind that before civil war, regions contributed 50% to centre so we need to revert to that. This is a big improvement from pre civil war era .
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by attackgat: 5:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Restructuring is not in the constitution of Nigeria.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by DONLEKAN: 7:03pm On Jul 03, 2017
attackgat:
Restructuring is not in the constitution of Nigeria.

What useless constitution?. Who wrote that constitution in the first place. The constitution does not belong to the people. Now, the people must chat a new course for themselves else implosion of a nation.

2 Likes

Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 8:13pm On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:

You see, as it stands now, people have no control whatsoever from what is generated from their region. The FG looms large, the FG collects all of the collectable revenue and keeps 55% for itself in Abuja redistribute the remaining on the basis of Population, landmass and number of local government that exist. As it stands nobody is thinking of any form of wealth creation because FG will take it all, it is just like you are creating wealth for the rest of the Nation to share without significant gains to you the creator of the wealth. If you look at my proposal closely. In 30yrs time, regions will take 50% of what they generate while remaining 50% is contributed to centre. From there you will get nothing less than 50% of what you contributed to the centre in the first place. Remember, part of 50% you contributed will be used to run a leaner Federal government. This in my opinion will solve agitation problem and everyone will focus on creating wealth because they get to keep at least 75% of what they generate. If you can keep 75% of what you generate, I don't know why any reasonable person will complain again. I suggested that 80% be contributed to centre in year 1 because we are coming from position of 100% contribution to centre and we decrease contribution to centre by 1% every year for the next 30 years. So that in year 30 after financial restructuring you contribute 50% of your regional generation to centre in which you get some back. You need to bear in mind that before civil war, regions contributed 50% to centre so we need to revert to that. This is a big improvement from pre civil war era .
my gentle man, Lekan,
face the reality this can't work in this country, we were not in continuity, all the visions we set since the independent were not sustained, now you are set a program of near half a century, for 4 mandates of different governments, you know for your self that Nigerian didn't have such a patience!
go back to my post above patiently study it, and query me, on it's viability.
it won't cost us nothing, we are not waiting for any year before we see the result,
look, it will strike out Northern and Southern governor forum for Western and Eastern governor forum, it will end up hausa/fulani versus igbo or Yoruba, it will fashion the nation to our amiable Muslim and christian brother and sisters in the same region, No one will be agitating for resources any more since the two regions have oil, fulani herds men menace would be an event of past because the two region have anything that other have!
go to the top read the map and passage with open mind!
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 8:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
DONLEKAN:

What useless constitution?. Who wrote that constitution in the first place. The constitution does not belong to the people. Now, the people must chat a new course for themselves else implosion of a nation.
take it easy, what's causes our problems today is not constitution and I open this thread to show us where our problems lies and the solution to it, go to the beginning of the thread and read it to understand,then proof me wrong on my conviction that this will solve Nigeria problems.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by Mujtahida: 9:28pm On Jul 03, 2017
Op my suggestion is that you alter how your topic reads. Yours is just a suggestion. It cannot be the only solution that will work
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 9:33pm On Jul 03, 2017
Mujtahida:
Op my suggestion is that you alter how your topic reads. Yours is just a suggestion. It cannot be the only solution that will work
why it can't be work?
explain further.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by Mujtahida: 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
moninuola65:

why it can't be work?
explain further.
I commend you for putting some thought and coming up with a system.
The number one thing is that Arewa will never agree for the North to be expunged from the political map of Nigeria
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

I commend you for putting some thought and coming up with a system.
The number one thing is that Arewa will never agree for the North to be expunged from the political map of Nigeria
I don't think so, the North and South is just imaginary border, and is not have any legal backing, don't forget we are not in regionalism since then, Now the adoption of Western and Eastern region would not only solves all perennial problems of Nigeria but will make us accept ourselves as the people of the same nation!
ask me any question on it, I'll answer you.
because I have my conviction that this will solves Nigeria Problems.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by Kyase(m): 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2017
i like it but, why split MB?
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by coptic: 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
Dereformer:

Brilliant idea!
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2017
Kyase:
i like it but, why split MB?
best remark,
The middle belt is split to be regionalize into West and East Region(look at the map again).
like wise the strategic and sensitive(oil states) Zone South south is also split into the two regions West and East.
other questions?
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2017
coptic:

Brilliant idea!
coptic.
what's you see in this restructured?
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by Kyase(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2017
moninuola65:

best remark,
The middle belt is split to be regionalize into West and East Region(look at the map again).
like wise the strategic and sensitive(oil states) Zone South south is also split into the two regions West and East.
other questions?
much like it, i was discusing the same thing with a nairalander yesterday
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by coptic: 10:37pm On Jul 03, 2017
moninuola65:

coptic.
what's you see in this restructured?

Actually, this crossed my mind.

Although for a different reason.

It's a good idea nonetheless.

The workability of the entire middlebelt or the East Central/West Central states is never in doubt. So anything is fine by me.

Although above all, I want State Police!

That's the only way to deal with the herdsmen issue.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:38pm On Jul 03, 2017
Kyase:
much like it, i was discusing the same thing with a nairalander yesterday
Thank you so much.
be advocate of it always, it will safe us as nation.
And let people know that our problem is solvable.
Re: The Only Restructuring Of Nigeria That Will Be Acceptable To All Is This... by moninuola65: 10:44pm On Jul 03, 2017
coptic:

Actually, this crossed my mind.

Although for a different reason.

It's a good idea nonetheless.

The workability of the entire middlebelt or the East Central/West Central states is never in doubt. So anything is fine by me.

Although above all, I want State Police!

That's the only way to deal with the herdsmen issue.
ok,
very good of you.
you will still notice that the herdsmen menace will be cut down because the governors forum of the two region will be committed to the issues unlike the former set-up of North and South.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Nnamdi Kanu, Parents Still Missing After Soldiers Invasion, Many Killed / Fiscal Sustainability Between East And West -photos / Biafra: IPOB To Open Headquarters In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.