Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1069) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2054617 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1066) (1067) (1068) (1069) (1070) (1071) (1072) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hiidee(m): 7:58am On Oct 23, 2021
Pls is it a must to install thunder arrestor for bungalow with solar panel?? If it is what is price range to install arrestor and if not is there any alternative to stop thunder??
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:19am On Oct 23, 2021
The enemy you are fighting is lightning induced surges getting into your wiring and equipment - thunder itself (the sound) is benign.

With panels mounted the minimum you must do is sink sufficient rods to gain resistance below 5ohms, bond the rods together and then connect the solar panel frame and/or rack to the earth rods - this way any hits or induced surges are diverted safely to ground.

You can enhance this basic protection with a lightning arrestor and use of SPDs - do not forget that all these schemes will be entirely useless if they are not firmly connected to a good earth ground.

hiidee:
Pls is it a must to install thunder arrestor for bungalow with solar panel?? If it is what is price range to install arrestor and if not is there any alternative to stop thunder??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hiidee(m): 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2021
Thanks for dis info. Pls how much do u think arrestor will cost as someone told me it is upto 1M naira.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
The enemy you are fighting is lightning induced surges getting into your wiring and equipment - thunder itself (the sound) is benign.

With panels mounted the minimum you must do is sink sufficient rods to gain resistance below 5ohms, bond the rods together and then connect the solar panel frame and/or rack to the earth rods - this way any hits or induced surges are diverted safely to ground.

You can enhance this basic protection with a lightning arrestor and use of SPDs - do not forget that all these schemes will be entirely useless if they are not firmly connected to a good earth ground.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojtech8291: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2021
hiidee:
Thanks for dis info. Pls how much do u think arrestor will cost as someone told me it is upto 1M naira.

That person might be a thief. Why don't you research it?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AndroBlaze: 5:04pm On Oct 23, 2021
ojtech8291:

I guess that's why he is asking here.

I hope the two videos below help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ6oGHwvBDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1fJkgkSygg
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 5:59pm On Oct 23, 2021
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 6:06pm On Oct 23, 2021
Though the 1M is quite expensive but I guess his looking to install an early streamer, which is mostly use to cover for sensitive equipment area(offices and all), but nothing bad having your home covered by an early streamer Indelec Lightning arrester.

Niyiomolyunade helped showed me the basic information, which we installed for a customer recently, but if you consider such arrester as Indelec as against the conventional "Trident" types, you need to have enough to cover the cost

hiidee:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2021
I last installed a residential lightning protection and earthing system in September 2021.

Budget - Under 750k
Achieved System Resistance - 2.3 ohms
Number of Rods - 5 x 6ft
Earth enhancement material backfill - 5 bags
Furse Earth inspection pits - 5
Full roll of 25mm sq copper cable for bonding rods
Indelec Prevectron TS 2.25
U bolt clamps and assorted fasteners and connectors.

We were able to deliver the job with a very healthy margin and return some credit to the customer.

hiidee:

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by solasola(m): 12:24am On Oct 24, 2021
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I last installed a residential lightning protection and earthing system in September 2021.

Budget - Under 750k
Achieved System Resistance - 2.3 ohms
Number of Rods - 5 x 6ft
Earth enhancement material backfill - 5 bags
Furse Earth inspection pits - 5
Full roll of 25mm sq copper cable for bonding rods
Indelec Prevectron TS 2.25
U bolt clamps and assorted fasteners and connectors.

We were able to deliver the job with a very healthy margin and return some credit to the customer.

Oga Niyi, I feel the type you installed has a wider coverage area like in an estate, reason for the high cost. And sinking 5 rods. That's wonderful. You are on point. But I think the conventional materials will do provided they are original materials for a simple bungalow.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:12am On Oct 24, 2021
hiidee:
I just installed my own after losing two inverters the same day, the same time on the same lightning strike. My place is a storey building cost between 90 to 100k. But yours a bungalow the distance is shorter should be far less . Budget about 60 to 70k. For materials, what makes it costly is the copper tape. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:19am On Oct 24, 2021
Like what oga niyi said, apart from the arrestor, I also linked all the panels and earth them on a separate rod.

Materials for lightning arrestor not thunder.
The arrestor it self, copper tape, and earth rod, charcoal and lime.
Also it is good you procure it, but physics tells us if you are surrounded by taller structures the lightening will likely hit the structure or building before your bungalow. I am not surrounded by any structure open space, so lightening dey always find me, this was the 4th strike.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:12am On Oct 24, 2021
Doubtless there are so many ways to achieve a good result.

OP said he was being billed 1million for a lightning arrestor - I attempted to show that he could achieve a commercial grade earthing and lightning protection system well within that budget with plenty change to spare.

The Indelec TS 2.25 early streamer device is well sufficient for any normal sized residence with a protection radius of over 20meters square - I do not even think a bungalow needs such a level of protection if there are several other buildings around - bonding panel frames/racks to earth ground should be sufficient in this case.

solasola:
Oga Niyi, I feel the type you installed has a wider coverage area like in an estate, reason for the high cost. And sinking 5 rods. That's wonderful. You are on point. But I think the conventional materials will do provided they are original materials for a simple bungalow.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:15pm On Oct 24, 2021
hiidee:

the answer to your question is yes. a lightning or surge protection device is very much necessary for your bungalow
to protect your solar installation. however, you did not state if yours is a new building without earthing or already existing
building with a good earthing system. if your building already has a good earth, all you need do is to incorporate an
spd (surge protective device) like the midnite solar mnspd 115 and mnspd 300 and you're fine. budget for this would
be under 250k to 300k i think.
note that installing a 'thunder arrestor' as we normally call all those copper spikes on top of your roof will not necessarily
save your solar investment from lightning strikes. i learnt that lesson the hard way in my former abode.

https://www.solar-electric.com/suprdemn.html
https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-mnspd-300-ac-surge-protector.html

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2021
jmaine:

Pic 2: I did like to also give an empirical power consumption review of the FUSHIAI energy-saving fan I purchased from Simydan(Pic 2 attached). It's a decent 30W rated fan with 3 modes namely: Eco mode, natural wind, and Sleep mode, it can be powered via a US device and it's non-rechargeable.

I need a few units of this fan, if you have it quote me with price

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:13pm On Oct 24, 2021
sold
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 8:53am On Oct 25, 2021
GeorgeD1:

the answer to your question is yes. a lightning or surge protection device is very much necessary for your bungalow
to protect your solar installation. however, you did not state if yours is a new building without earthing or already existing
building with a good earthing system. if your building already has a good earth, all you need do is to incorporate an
spd (surge protective device) like the midnite solar mnspd 150 and mnspd 300 and you're fine. budget for this would
be under 250k to 300k i think.
note that installing a 'thunder arrestor' as we normally call all those copper spikes on top of your roof will not necessarily
save your solar investment from lightning strikes. i learnt that lesson the hard way in my former abode.

https://www.solar-electric.com/suprdemn.html
https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-mnspd-300-ac-surge-protector.html

I empathize with those who lost parts of their systems as a result of lightning. I have been a victim as well. My lightning surge protector on the roof is superb with its earthing but it didn't stop my CCTV and inverter from getting roasted.
Nice enlightenment in your post sir but I want to ask about a different type of surge protector I saw and installed.
Does this also work line the Midnite one? Seems to be on the high side in cost compared to others.

Please see this below

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:17am On Oct 25, 2021
250Ah GSR tall tubular battery available, #140,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:20am On Oct 25, 2021
5kva 24v Yohako hybrid inverter available, #230,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:22am On Oct 25, 2021
300w SMS floodlight available, #43,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:26am On Oct 25, 2021
Installation of our 1000w solar street light ongoing.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:27am On Oct 25, 2021
3kva 24v MUST hybrid inverter available, #190,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:29am On Oct 25, 2021
200Ah 12v nord battery available, #140,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:31am On Oct 25, 2021
alstacs:

I empathize with those who lost parts of their systems as a result of lightning. I have been a victim as well. My lightning surge protector on the roof is superb with its earthing but it didn't stop my CCTV and inverter from getting roasted.
Nice enlightenment in your post sir but I want to ask about a different type of surge protector I saw and installed.
Does this also work line the Midnite one? Seems to be on the high side in cost compared to others.

Please see this below

THIS I BELIEVE WORKS SAME AS THE MIDNITE CLASSIC, AND IS A BIT CHEAPER...SAW IT FOR 13K, ABI 15K ON JIJI. it has ac and dc types

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by eliteweb(m): 11:04am On Oct 25, 2021
PRAG 5KVA/48V INVERTER FOR SALE

CONDITION: USED

WORKING PERFECTLY

Call / Whatsapp: 07030299254
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 11:11am On Oct 25, 2021
earthrealm:

THIS I BELIEVE WORKS SAME AS THE MIDNITE CLASSIC, AND IS A BIT CHEAPER...SAW IT FOR 13K, ABI 15K ON JIJI. it has ac and dc types
Than you very much. Got mine (an AC and A DC surge protector) from @Zeestone99 here.

I'm so scared these days that at the sound or sight impending rain, I shut down my system immediately, despite
1. Proper earthing of the house
2. Lightning arrestor on the roof
3. This surge protector for AC and DC.

I hope I'll come out of this fear soon sha but I don't wanna lose another inverter.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alstacs(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2021
justcallmenuel:
5kva 24v Yohako hybrid inverter available, #230,000. Call/WhatsApp us on 08168986461
This Yohako inverter doesn't come as 5KVA 48V?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2021
We buy spent deep cycle lead acid batteries for recycling

As a pro installer or DIY RE home user, kindly reach out to get your battery swapped for a rebate

200Ah - 21,000

150Ah - 14,000

100Ah - 10,000

We also do a nationwide pick-up

We are a phone call away, contact on signature

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 11:57am On Oct 25, 2021
justcallmenuel:
Installation of our 1000w solar street light ongoing.

Please I don't mean to be rude , I am just asking . Since I was a child .Asia countries been selling all these big wattage labels to us Africans . Do we really understand how bright 1000w would be or the consumption . Is it that the Brightness is equivalent to 1000watts or the lamp is 1000watts

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2021
alstacs:

Please see this below

i'm not familiar with this brand but i guess if it's working for others, it might as well work for you.
however, midnite solar has been a very reliable brand in the industry and when it comes to quality,
you can't go wrong with them.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2021
alstacs:

This Yohako inverter doesn't come as 5KVA 48V?
It does sir. And it’s available presently
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2021
ojtech8291:

It depends...who knows whether the person is planning on installing indelec lightning arrestor grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2021
eliteweb:
PRAG 5KVA/48V INVERTER FOR SALE

CONDITION: USED

WORKING PERFECTLY

Call / Whatsapp: 07030299254

How much and share pics

(1) (2) (3) ... (1066) (1067) (1068) (1069) (1070) (1071) (1072) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Valto(m), Gozik1, kdaddy, sirrotex, Dam5reey(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.