Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,745 members, 7,862,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:44 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1720) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2149362 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1717) (1718) (1719) (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) ... (1744) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:13am On May 24
mctfopt:

Tax break. Green energy tax break. Lol

You reside in the US?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by princely009: 9:34am On May 24
Omo...these steep roofs(send down the rain roofs) are really bad for solar generation.
These past few weeks, my battery has barely charged past 45 to 50%. Something that gets to 100% b4 2pm before now. It's seems the sun direction has changed. Now it currently favours North on my roof while my panels are facing south.
The solution now is an expensive solution. I need to install new panels facing north and buy a new charge controller and cables sad

By the way, who sells growatt 120A charge controller. I need one for this upgrade.

Between , hope my lithium battery not charging to 100% daily won't affect it?.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by swagifted(m): 9:38am On May 24
swagifted:
My 36 year old nepa meter in my house in the village.... House was built in 1988....those days when a whole duplex have to survive on 30amps maximum,over 35Mwh consumed, a perfect example of if its not broken don't fix it grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 9:47am On May 24
jonescosmos:
I will share with you my personal experience with these servo stabs.

THEY WORK AT THE BEGINING BUT WILL GRADUALLY FAIL.

Yes, they will fail because the movable parts on that huge toroidal coil will interact with the dusts that are settling on the spindle and coil. After a while, the dust might create a short circuit on the surface of the coil and then the stab will start dropping breaker or fuse due to the explosions from the short-circuit.
I have had this issue with more than four different brands, same issue ooo. Service center guys will try to file off the affected surface and it will work well only for the fault to return after a while.
I eventually stopped taking stuff to the service centers and started opening them up first damn the warrantee, see what went wrong and decide if I should go through the hassle of lifting heavy stabs to service center every now and then.
So during my quest, I discovered that DUST IS THE WORSE ENEMY OF A SERVO STAB.

Then I switched to a relay version and I have been using it for more than 5 years and counting without a single issue.

My Advice: If you must do a servo stab, make sure it's dust proof.

A quick hack to the dust issue could be just lying the stab on it's side rather than standing it upright. That is if the heavy coils are well secured inside for that orientation though.

That way dust would take a very long time to settle in the contact surfaces.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:37am On May 24
EmmanuelCena:

Good morning,

My question is off the solar discussion.

I intend to purchase a 5Kva stabilizer to boost the low voltage supply.

I intend to connect it to my Freezer, and TV

My question is should I go for the conventional big century Stabilizer or a wall mounted stabilizer?
What are the differences in terms of durability and performance?
If there a re better brands I could get also, I'd appreciate.

cc: Jonescosmos

you miss the the point, when buying a stabilizer, your focus shud be on working voltage, not if its wall mount or conventional. 80 to 270 is a good working range, go for such stabilizers, a few stabilizers also claim 45 to 270 volts......this is even better, but know that this model is more fragile and selective about load. a 10kw stabilizer derates to about 3kw if the input voltage is about 150v, so imagine what it would be at 45v

2ndly, the next critical issh in selecting a stabilizer is if its servo or relay....
personally i prefer servo, as it has less moving parts, a relay stabilizer has more parts/relays clicking upandan...so more things likely to go wrong, relay sticking and damaging the stabilizer....though the pros of relay stabilizer is that its simpler..and the average repairer can repair it...unlike the servo wch is a lil bit more complex and may require you sending it back to supplier..aedunamis or prag as the case may be

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 11:36am On May 24
Trippledots:

A quick hack to the dust issue could be just lying the stab on it's side rather than standing it upright. That is if the heavy coils are well secured inside for that orientation though.

Not advisable.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos: 11:47am On May 24
Trippledots:

LOT OF THINGS MIGHT GO WRONG IF YOU THIS, I WAS EXPECTING SOMEONE TO SAY WE CAN PUT SOME DUST FILTERS ON THE VENTS TO MINIMIZE THE AMOUNT OF DUST IT SUCKS IN.

THIS IS HOW I WAS ABLE TO GET AROUND THE DUST.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Justice629(m): 2:35pm On May 24
ibietela2:

Do you still use the growatt?

Yes totally off grid

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 3:39pm On May 24
princely009:
Omo...these steep roofs(send down the rain roofs) are really bad for solar generation.
These past few weeks, my battery has barely charged past 45 to 50%. Something that gets to 100% b4 2pm before now. It's seems the sun direction has changed. Now it currently favours North on my roof while my panels are facing south.
The solution now is an expensive solution. I need to install new panels facing north and buy a new charge controller and cables sad

By the way, who sells growatt 120A charge controller. I need one for this upgrade.

the poor generation is just temporary for one or 2 months. You can add more solar to compensate.

Your lithium batteries like it better not getting fully charged. just don't over-discharge below 3.0v.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:49pm On May 24
Trippledots:

You reside in the US?

People reading there buy RE stuffs too, just threw in my own.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos: 4:05pm On May 24
princely009:

Oh yes they are bad for solar energy generation.

If you have space and money, do a car port or add panels. If the house is yours, plan towards yanking off the roof someday to do the flat 90o south roof style. Then cover all of it with panels.

We went to Europe wey no do see plenty of sun, inherited their roofing style and now we have a need for Solar Energy Advantage, the roof we spent millions in building has become a stumbling block.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:37pm On May 24
princely009:

Same thing I am facing and once complained about here. My own is why the consensus that panels must face south seeing as rhe sun isnt constant and always moving about.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 4:38pm On May 24
mctfopt:

I bought grade B 100AH Sinopoly lithium cells in China 4 years ago for this. Battery still in use for such practice till today. Crazy thing I'm using it without BMS. smiley

Thanks for the idea.

I might just have to DIY it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 4:39pm On May 24
Dam5reey:

4 cells, you can even use those Smaller LFP 30AH cells, that allow up to 8C discharge
and get a BMS that can handle ~300A surge.

I appreciate this lead.

Thanks again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ibietela2(m): 5:45pm On May 24
Justice629:

Yes totally off grid

Did you test without battery? they said it can work without battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Justice629(m): 6:11pm On May 24
ibietela2:

Did you test without battery? they said it can work without battery

Yes! If enough pv power is available or connected to grid
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 6:25pm On May 24
Justice629:

Yes! If enough pv power is available or connected to grid
How's Calabar weather?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 6:42pm On May 24
princely009:

People with steep roof tilt their panels to their choice of angle for efficiency. The bad weather conditions you experienced is affecting all of us in the south. This is the time of management and those that put about two days head rooms in their battery bank may not feel much impact.
Partial charging doen NOT have effect on lithium battery. It only affects lead acid battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 6:51pm On May 24
Drgreatone:

Same thing I am facing and once complained about here. My own is why the consensus that panels must face south seeing as rhe sun isnt constant and always moving about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR8EQ0DWpPw?feature=shared

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Polaris1: 6:58pm On May 24
mctfopt:

I bought grade B 100AH Sinopoly lithium cells in China 4 years ago for this. Battery still in use for such practice till today. Crazy thing I'm using it without BMS. smiley
Do you build lithium batteries. If yes please send me a message.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:27pm On May 24
Polaris1:

Do you build lithium batteries. If yes please send me a message.

I build for self use. May transition to business when I perfect what I'm planning on.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by swagifted(m): 7:27pm On May 24
From punch newspapers..... At least AYM SHAFA petrol filling stations almost always have electricity.... NIGUS is the same company responsible for the 5 abi 7 mega watt solar setup in sebore dairy farms in adamawa... The farm was started by murtala nyako the former governor or adamawa state... But his son aminu is running things, if you have drank "admiral" yoghurt, know that you drank yoghurt that the manufacturing process from milk collection to bottle packaging was all solar powered... If am not mistaken thier battery is like 7Mwh.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:40pm On May 24
swagifted:
From punch newspapers..... At least AYM SHAFA petrol filling stations almost always have electricity.... NIGUS is the same company responsible for the 5 abi 7 mega watt solar setup in sebore dairy farms in adamawa... The farm was started by murtala nyako the former governor or adamawa state... But his son aminu is running things, if you have drank "admiral" yoghurt, know that you drank yoghurt that the manufacturing process from milk collection to bottle packaging was all solar powered... If am not mistaken thier battery is like 7Mwh.

I was about to ask who's bankrolling em, then I saw former governor and it all makes sense.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:16pm On May 24
3pcs of 17.5kwh felicity lithium battery ready for delivery to Benin.

Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461 to order yours.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by swagifted(m): 8:40pm On May 24
The Former governor does not own NIGUS, he does not own AYM shafa, neither does he own NNPC..... He is only a magnate in agriculture. .
mctfopt:

I was about to ask who's bankrolling em, then I saw former governor and it all makes sense.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ksmart027(m): 9:19pm On May 24
swagifted:
The Former governor does not own NIGUS, he does not own AYM shafa, neither does he own NNPC..... He is only a magnate in agriculture. .
I enjoyed his mango back them in adamawa, though expensive but worth it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 9:37pm On May 24
swagifted:

Oh that's cool.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by swagifted(m): 10:39pm On May 24
ksmart027:

I enjoyed his mango back them in adamawa, though expensive but worth it.
he is popularly known as "baba mai mangoro"... As at 1993 he had 50,000 mango trees...and as far back as then he was exporting to europe...it was his farm I used as a case study to compare biomass energy to solar to know which is most feasible in Nigeria .. He tried to extract gas from his cattles' feaces to run a gas power plant, but the technology did not last. He then switched to full time solar.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 10:53pm On May 24
jonescosmos:

Oh yes they are bad for solar energy generation.

If you have space and money, do a car port or add panels. If the house is yours, plan towards yanking off the roof someday to do the flat 9o south roof style. Then cover all of it with panels.

We went to Europe wey no do see plenty of sun, inherited their roofing style and now we have a need for Solar Energy Advantage, the roof we spent millions in building has become a stumbling block.

Are there no disadvantages of flat roofs, particularly as regards retention of rain water? Do you pics of this kind of roof yo refer to?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos: 11:24pm On May 24
odimbannamdi:

Are there no disadvantages of flat roofs, particularly as regards retention of rain water? Do you pics of this kind of roof yo refer to?

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos: 11:24pm On May 24
[quote author=jonescosmos post=130127682][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos: 11:26pm On May 24
[quote author=jonescosmos post=130127686][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (1717) (1718) (1719) (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) ... (1744) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: de3lar(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.