Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (655) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2076690 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (652) (653) (654) (655) (656) (657) (658) ... (1701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2020
justcallmenuel:
200amphs, 12volts luminous battery available, #110 000. Contact us on 08168986461
I wouldn't advice anyone to buy this particular luminous product.
I have a nasty experience with them.

All 12 batteries failed within 10 months
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 8:20pm On Jan 19, 2020
nonoski:

What inverter and load did you use on it? It's pretty annoying when battery fail so early. Damn, let's hope good lithium will come to our rescue.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:29pm On Jan 19, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Dear House,

I have 12 units of 300w Flames Solar Panels available for sale please.

Price 25k each.

Reason for Sale - Further upgrades to achieve ~18kw of Canadian Solar panels.

Preference is for someone willing to buy all the 12 panels at once.

The panels routinely achieve >70% of nameplate.

Please call Niyi on 08081144442 if interested.

Thank you.

Nice one, abeg help your fellow DIY that cannot or need up to 12..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by rajo4real(m): 8:36pm On Jan 19, 2020
Many thanks to @JustCallMeNuel

An emergency request was made to Ilorin and he delivered within 24hrs @ a very reasonable price aswell.

Keep up d good work bro!

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:51pm On Jan 19, 2020
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I need to clarify that it is not really about tightness of the connection but two factors come before;

1) Sufficient contact area between the cables being joined - i have found your typical near 1 inch of contact insufficient - perhaps 2 inches of contact is ideal and splitting the cables into smaller branches that can be wound/braided together better

2) Ability to weatherproof the connection and keep moisture out as well as withstand heat.

Think of it that the cables with cheap asian panels may be substandard but the use of MC4 is not magically upgrading the cables to a better spec, rather the MC4 ensures minimum viable contact surface area between the panels and keeps moisture out and is able to withstand the heat of the sun.

To reiterate MC4 metal contacts are pretty thin and unable to withstand the arc that comes from making or breaking contact under load, yet if used properly, they manage to create secure connections that last many years.

I encourage anyone to look into the anderson power plugs for DC connections - rated for about 100,000 no load connects/disconnects and over 200 connect/disconnects at full load. Even if you don't use them to connect panels together, a serious DIYer or pro installer will doubtless find many applications for them.

why looking for a perfect zero inch tightness or braiding or anything we call it,when we have tools that can do the job easily with better accuracy and precision. I will rather not stres myself and crimp the cables jejely.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:55pm On Jan 19, 2020
nonoski:

Luminous is really messing up big time. I just troubleshooted for someone yesterday. He bought 8 and Two is already giving problem. He said it's not even up to 8months. And I'm like this luminous have not changed shocked
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2020
mctfopt:

What inverter and load did you use on it? It's pretty annoying when battery fail so early. Damn, let's hope good lithium will come to our rescue.

zeestone99:

Luminous is really messing up big time. I just troubleshooted for someone yesterday. He bought 8 and Two is already giving problem. He said it's not even up to 8months. And I'm like this luminous have not changed shocked

Here's my story.

I have a solar setup in my village
These are the spec:

* 16 nr 300 watts solar panel (Canadian solar) connected in 4S4P (4.8kw array) mounted on roof facing south.

* 12 nr 200ah luminous batteries in 48v 600ah connection

* 3 nr battery balancer

* Felicity 5kva hybrid inverter

* 250/100 Victron charge controller

* Combiner box 6 way

* Victron color control gx for remote monitoring

* 2nr Busbar

And other breakers and ancillaries.

Apart from installing the solar panels on the roof all other connections I did by myself.

The house is always unoccupied.
From February 2019when I completed the installation till November 2019 the house was only used about 10days duh the inverter is on 247

Usual load powered by inverter 24/7

A. 10 nr external 12w led security light connected to a timer switch so they come on 7pm and go off 6am

B. Mtn router

C. 3nr wireless wyze CCTV cameras

Total load less than 2kw from sundown to sunrise including 98w/h of the inverter self consumption.

The Felicity inverter is set to shut down if voltage drops below 49v

I monitor the system every day remotely to make sure all is well. The voltage neva fell below 50.2v all throu from February till November.

In early December last month I decided to go to the village and prepare the house for Christmas but around 10pm the inverter tripped of (meaning voltage dropped below 49v).

I noticed one of the batteries dropped to 10.2v while the rest where around 12.5v and 17.1v after 30mins of charging.

After weighting all my options I decided to change only that battery.

However I decided to call in an expert to have a second opinion.

After running a load test on all the batteries it was only the new battery that was healthy the rest were barely surviving.

His theory is that the batteries were mostly on float all year long and it wasn't good for the batteries.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 9:42pm On Jan 19, 2020
I have, and it's still working perfectly.
I don't use it anymore, as i'm currently looking for a control circuit that can manually select from 3 AC sources (Inverter, Grid, Gen) to feed a sub DB.
Something sexy with a single point of control...

nonoski:
Please has anybody tried this automatic change over and does it really work?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tonididdy(m): 9:45pm On Jan 19, 2020
earthrealm:

Wow, happy to hear your meeting with Johnny went well.
Good he was able to impart some knowledge as well.
From what he told me with the tests you guys carried out.
That your CC is a lil substandard, and performed better in parallel, just as the books say.
You can use pwm for small installs below 600w panel array without much issue. He also said the cc charge voltage is not editable and by 1.30pm, only 14v was going to the batt from the 18v coming from the panels.
Being that you have flooded batts, this is not sufficient to charge it properly, and it wud sulphate and you would experience poor batt performance pretty soon, worse in the rainy season.

Your getting a cc with editable charge voltage + increasing ur panels to 600w minimum would be the best route for you. A 40a or 50a mppt cc with such properties would be your best bet, so it can accomodate future expansions as well, as solar dey sweet die grin
Exactly his words boss. Thanks so much. I will surely upgrade the CC and panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 9:47pm On Jan 19, 2020
My back up time is getting poorer by the day and i'm also using Luminous, so you may be unto something here.

zeestone99:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 10:13pm On Jan 19, 2020
I bought those useless luminous batteries myself from Simba in Lagos and had them shipped to Anambra.

I was so disappointed with the batteries when I saw each of them drop to 9v during load testing.

I didn't bother calling the Simba even duh they muted warranty when I was paying for them but I know how warranties work in Nigeria so I have made up my mind to discard the batteries. I don't even have flight money to spare to go to Lagos.

My problem now is which batteries do I go for?

I have been researching about the claim that having batteries on float almost all the tym is not good for batteries
Even duh it discharges every nite to about 15% DOD

Lithium batteries are out of my option coz it's in a remote location and indoors wouldn't want to burn down my inheritance

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jmaine: 10:23pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:
5.4KWH 24V lithium landed, will put to use within the week for testing before sharing my experience compared to my current 300Ah 24v Lead acid.
#LifePo4NewBie grin cool

Nice one bro.. Cool acquisition cool... What's the product brand and price please?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:35pm On Jan 19, 2020
Trying to see if I could get Lithium from China, but the weight and the cost of shipping is proving tricky. Can anyone give me a reasonable price on Lithium 200AH 48V?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:35pm On Jan 19, 2020
rajo4real:
Many thanks to @JustCallMeNuel

An emergency request was made to Ilorin and he delivered within 24hrs @ a very reasonable price aswell.

Keep up d good work bro!

Cheers
Thanks for patronizing me sir, I really appreciate
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:36pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:

Is it really possible to avoid joining totally? For instance in my all series setup, I still had to cut the cable so as to extend the stock mc4

I avoid joining wires with panels, especially the roof mounted. If I need wires extended, I simply construct extension wires using male and female MC4s and a commensurate guage wire. I've even had cause to construct branching MC4 wires one time like that when I needed one for parallel connection on emergency basis.

My experience with one small install that the wire gave way to the elements after about two consecutive rainy and dry season taught me some lessons.

The generous use of tape did not prevent the problem and the tape simply gave way, rain/moisture came in, alternated with drying/severe dessication and heat during the dry seasons and then the wires began to get brittle and simply smouldered off at the joint.

Shrink tubing can give some pretty solid insulation but I doubt if it would keep moisture away 100% without added use of silicone gels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:45pm On Jan 19, 2020
nonoski:
I bought those useless luminous batteries myself from Simba in Lagos and had them shipped to Anambra.

I was so disappointed with the batteries when I saw each of them drop to 9v during load testing.

I didn't bother calling the Simba even duh they muted warranty when I was paying for them but I know how warranties work in Nigeria so I have made up my mind to discard the batteries. I don't even have flight money to spare to go to Lagos.

I have been researching about the claim that having batteries on float almost all the tym is not good for batteries

Lithium batteries are out of my option coz it's in a remote location and indoors wouldn't want to burn down my inheritance
Lantan or Dekka battery will be just fine. But it’s more costlier than luminous batteries.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:46pm On Jan 19, 2020
jmaine:

Nice one bro.. Cool acquisition cool... What's the product brand and price please?

Bro so I don't get folks to commit, I will like to test it out first and then will update if it's worth it or if I have just wasted money, hopefully not the latter wink
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 10:47pm On Jan 19, 2020
60amphs epever MPPT charge controller available, #130 000. Contact us on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:49pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:
5.4KWH 24V lithium landed, will put to use within the week for testing before sharing my experience compared to my current 300Ah 24v Lead acid.
#LifePo4NewBie grin cool

Bros, with your LFP, all you need do is just sit back and enjoy solar. Contrary to other energy storage types, no frequent nursing or caressing of that battery the moment you get the charging requirements right.

And the feedback LFP gives you is exhilarating, it's like being high on some powerful stimulant.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 10:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
Dam5reey:

Nice one !, The future is here..
But I will still prefer cheaper all in one solution,
Something like this will be interesting when it's widely accessible.

Good one. But you'll have a number of limitations with this one bro. No room for tweaking to get improved feedback from it. The charger is just 40amps. Meanwhile that LFP can take greater charge power you throw at it.

But sha, Omo, see as dem write that DoD for the spec.

DoD: 100%, no wahala.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 10:55pm On Jan 19, 2020
adrusa:
Trying to see if I could get Lithium from China, but the weight and the cost of shipping is proving tricky. Can anyone give me a reasonable price on Lithium 200AH 48V?

If you can be patient for a few days, there may be a "relatively" affordable option within reach. cool

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 11:11pm On Jan 19, 2020
Dam5reey:

Nice one !, The future is here..
But I will still prefer cheaper all in one solution,
Something like this will be interesting when it's widely accessible.

I didn't see where they wrote number of cycles though...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 11:12pm On Jan 19, 2020
nonoski:

Sorry about that bro. Such massive number of battery failure in less than a year is nothing short of annoyance mixed with frustration. Haba!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 11:13pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:

If you can be patient for a few days, there may be a "relatively" affordable option within reach. cool

I can be patient. Just keep me in the loop. Do I need to keep harassing you or you will remember me?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 11:13pm On Jan 19, 2020
ceaser:

I avoid joining wires with panels, especially the roof mounted. [b]If I need wires extended, I simply construct extension wires using male and female MC4s [/b]and a commensurate guage wire. I've even had cause to construct branching MC4 wires one time like that when I needed one for parallel connection on emergency basis.

Though my setup is standalone hence largely protected from direct water but I will find time to use MC4s at a few extensions that I have. Thanks for the hint.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:

Yes that's the scenario I meant

What you do is crimp male and female mc4 on both end of a single wire long enough to join the two. That way you solve the problem.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jmaine: 11:16pm On Jan 19, 2020
ojeysky:

Bro so I don't get folks to commit, I will like to test it out first and then will update if it's worth it or if I have just wasted money, hopefully not the latter wink

We bind every spirit of village people... You go enjoy am... grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:48pm On Jan 19, 2020
ceaser:

I avoid joining wires with panels, especially the roof mounted. If I need wires extended, I simply construct extension wires using male and female MC4s and a commensurate guage wire. I've even had cause to construct branching MC4 wires one time like that when I needed one for parallel connection on emergency basis.

My experience with one small install that the wire gave way to the elements after about two consecutive rainy and dry season taught me some lessons.

The generous use of tape did not prevent the problem and the tape simply gave way, rain/moisture came in, alternated with drying/severe dessication and heat during the dry seasons and then the wires began to get brittle and simply smouldered off at the joint.

Shrink tubing can give some pretty solid insulation but I doubt if it would keep moisture away 100% without added use of silicone gels.

Yeah bro. If you like tape the wire, tape the current join, even tape the solar panel grin. Yawa go stil gas later.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Lahotade: 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2020
kiekie1:

Happy Sunday Mr Idris "idsolar" my old friend smiley ... Am bemused that you joined some who have no issue in kiddy tales ! Do you remember issue of millions between two prominent members of this great forum , kindly ask Hisenjos if or how it was finally resolved ! It's not just by noise making or seeking for unnecessary attention in here as most prospective serious client don't really buy cock & bull or hollow stories . We did approx million deals and issue of factory error was met on site after shipment to your far North destination few years ago , you brought a complain to my desk and I gave company a fast feedback which I communicated back to you but I wondered why you say back and didn't honor the process for company to change the said solar panels .. You're also in Solar business, which made me feel you understand my explanation without expecting panels could be changed without any company seeing defective ones you complaned about .. It was a very simple issue but you simply gave up and developed sudden beef which ought not to have existed from Adam ! It's been a while and I felt to reply you as a gentleman since it's bad to hit the grave with a heavy heart , mallies and unnecessary grievance Sir ! As my old time friend , my apologies once again and Happy New year !!

It's obvious that you are nothing but a rejected and black listed evil solar dealer. Majority never want to have any transaction with you.

What a pity! Good name is better than sharp money. Few of the numerous bad reviews about kiekie. Stay away from him!

A man with no integrity man.

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/176#81809518

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/175#81429869

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/528#78143331

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/507#76100477

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/158#75611244

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/182#83483935

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/179#83096726

https://www.nairaland.com/2428983/how-create-locally-made-inverter/180#83099058

Danger stay off!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:29am On Jan 20, 2020
nonoski:

His theory is that the batteries were mostly on float all year long and it wasn't good for the batteries.

This theory is flawed. As long as the batteries are not overcharged, staying afloat for a long time should not be an issue; that's where trickle charging comes in. I've seen Ritar batteries stay afloat for six years without any issue with little discharged in between which occurs only during changeover which lasts for less than two minutes when it happens. Your setup even has more time to discharge during the night. Like I said, unless the batteries are constantly overcharged, if not, Simba should be held accountable to honor their warranty.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:46am On Jan 20, 2020
@nonoski.
1. Verify that the charge controller charge voltage settings are in line with luminous batt, i once made an error after a battery swap of not changing the cc battery voltage charge settings.

2. The HA02 battery balancer may be a culprit, i would suggest you try bus bars or another brand of balancers.

3. Since the housr is relatively empty all year round. Consider have a 1kw load, say water heater or even fridge run for some time weekly or so. To draw the battery down periodically
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 7:42am On Jan 20, 2020
mctfopt:

This theory is flawed.
As long as the batteries are not overcharged, staying afloat for a long time should not be an issue; that's where trickle charging comes in. I've seen Ritar batteries stay afloat for six years without any issue with little discharged in between which occurs only during changeover which lasts for less than two minutes when it happens. Your setup even has more time to discharge during the night. Like I said, unless the batteries are constantly overcharged, if not, Simba should be held accountable to honor their warranty.

I totally agree this theory is flawed
I don't have energy for warranty wahala
I have had several nasty experience in the past so I don't even believe in warranty from a Nigerian business no matter how big they are.

(1) (2) (3) ... (652) (653) (654) (655) (656) (657) (658) ... (1701) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: adrusa, compunigeria, ksmart027(m), Danibestguy, abbey, solasola(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.